Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

deoju posted:

The first episode of GK also includes the embedded journalist being a colossal gently caress up. I kinda see that as a mea culpa for Simon being too preachy in s5.

I just assumed that Rolling Stone actually did all that stuff and wasn't afraid to embarass himself in the book.

My favorite casting note in GK is the actor who played Alpha's gunny sgt was also also a dick marine in Space Above and Beyond.

BiggerBoat posted:

One of the main things throwing me off are all the acronyms since I'm not real up on military jargon but that's on me and I appreciate the show not dumbing that down. I wonder what CHUDS think of this. I bet they view it much differently than my take away so far.

They prefer Band of Brothers more b/c the Americans in that are unambiguously the Good guys.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Alhazred posted:

Even BoB has some nuances. Spiers for example guns down unarmed soldiers and the show shows what a shitshow the period right after the war was ( one of the characters says that he keeps losing men even though it's peace).

Yeah but his portrayal still felt like "he's a hard man making hard decisions and he gets results", which is a stark contrast to Hitman's marines sexually harassing a woman or that one who says that he hates "hajis".

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

There's only person in the series with whom it irks me that the person never gets any comeuppance: the Greek's inside man in the FBI

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

You go to war with the army that you have said a certain secretary of defense

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

christmas boots posted:

I love how Stringer immediately abandons all decorum after that remark

I love how Slim Charles defends Poot

CBJSprague24 posted:

John Doman rules and has seriously become one of my favorite actors since I finished my first binge-watch and I want to see more stuff he's in.

He's got a recurring guest role in Person of Interest for only one season, which is a show you should watch anyways because it's great and everyone is amazing and they balance out how Cavaziel has become a Q nutjob

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Ithle01 posted:

plays the part of Rodrigo Borgia as though he's Bill Rawls - if Bill Rawls was Pope Alexander VI.

edit: seriously, he plays the part exactly like he's still playing Bill Rawls.

If he plays it like this scene I have zero problem with that.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Mike N Eich posted:

I was rewatching the first episode of the series recently and couldn't fuckin handle the fact that they were doing paperwork on loving typewriters at the beginning of the series

I think it's the end of season 2 where they get introduced to texting.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

christmas boots posted:

The trick is that not only would you have to tap them but you’d have to ensure that your targets specifically buy those tapped burners. I can see that being difficult to arrange outside of fiction

https://uk.pcmag.com/security/133832/fbi-sold-criminals-fake-encrypted-phones-that-actually-copied-their-messages

You say that

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

I do agree that the newspaper bosses in s5 aren’t very good characters, but now that I’m paying more attention to the New York Times etc I do wonder if they’re actually unrealistic

They're literally not, which is the entire problem. The biggest difference is that from season 1-3, you can see the institutions making people the way they are, despite all their good intentions and ambition. So they all feel like real people. But for the capitalists who strive to own newspapers to generate profit, the institution that drives them, capitalism/profitability/etc. is too amorphous and you never see how their good intentions are affected by the limits within which they're trying to work.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Wafflecopper posted:

ziggy owns actually

It's a shame Ziggy never got a chance to talk to D'Angelo in prison.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

If the new Mayor ends up being black - as seemed likely, Campbell was probably going to end up there next - then they probably have a lot more leeway for whether the Commissioner is white or black. If the new Mayor ends up being white, and probably more importantly Republican, then he can just remind people that when HE was Mayor he openly embraced the ministers and took a keen interest in helping develop the career of talented young police like Cedric Daniels, who after all only stepped down as commissioner because of a family thing, and Carcetti understands that because TOMMY CARCETTI CARES ABOUT FAMILIES IF YOU LOVE YOUR FAMILY THEN VOTE FOR TOMMY CARCETTI FOR PRESIDENT!

Baltimore hasn't had a Republican mayor since 1962. Baltimore's mayoral race is strictly between Democratic candidates.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Jewmanji posted:

Why does Brother Mouzone travel with Lamar?

Who's gonna get his Harpers otherwise?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Pirate Radar posted:

The bit with Ed Norris in the show tricking a suspect into thinking a photocopier is a lie detector machine was straight from the book too if I remember right. Might not have literally been Norris but it was one of the homicide guys.

E: on reflection of course couldn’t have been Norris himself since he came up through the NYPD, not BPD.

The same scene was used in Homicide Life on the Street as well.

It's was always so funny to me to see Ed Norris on the show since I first knew him after he took charge of the Maryland State Police and was then forced out due to... well... criminal indictments from his time in the NYPD.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

algebra testes posted:

Colicchio is a Marine I think, and obviously turns up in Gen Kill.

IIRC, he was last seen in Ukraine helping prep volunteers.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

Ok I started S5 and the journalism stuff doesn’t even bother me, but the Jimmy serial killer stuff just seems so out of left field.

The only unrealistic thing about the Jimmy serial killer plot is that he's using the extra money for actual police work. Other than that, I don't think it's worse than Bunny doing Hamsterdam.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Jewmanji posted:

This. Or if they had ever made a season depicting the police running torture black sites people would be like…. Okkkk Simon a little on the nose with the Iraq allegories….

Could just be an adaptation of the Chicago PD sites where they tortured people.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

algebra testes posted:

At least my mum took me to Nascar.

Ray, your dad's a truck driver?

awesmoe posted:

they dont facilitate human trafficking i dont think?

frank sobotka (like pretty much everyone else in the show) was more than happy to sacrifice other people to preserve the systems he was comfortable in.

Frank was only ever game to sacrifice the property of businesses. When he learned about the human trafficking he was genuinely outraged but also realized he was an accessory to 14 murders and a whole host of other crimes.

Once Vondas taunts him with other stuff they're smuggling in he realizes he's out of his element but knows he needs them to save his union.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 25, 2023

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I don't think Frank knows about the drugs. The precursor chemicals are all done by Nicky.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

The precursor chemicals sure, but didn't he know they were shipping in heroin and coke on the containers? Isn't that what the whole deal was from the get go with The Greek?

I think that's why the Greeks cut a side deal with Nicky to bring stuff in. I think the deal with Frank was just boosting containers so they could sell the merchandise from the contained in some stores like Glikas's.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Count Roland posted:

Here comes Kima! She's smart, she'll get those knuckle heads to stop!

Oh- ohhhhh

The scene with Bird's interrogation is so brutal. Especially when all three walk in and Daniels tears up the photo.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Mr. Nemo posted:

And don't feel bad about not knowing who Sydnor was, I 100% confused him with Carver during season 1, and coulnd't keep the Barksdale enforcers straight until maybe my 2nd or 3rd watch.

It was probably easier for me to recognize Carver by name and face since he told Rico that "you kill Bugs good".

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

surf rock posted:

Season two, episodes five through eight:

- Give me hours of Ziggy getting beat up or hosed with. He's like an early 20-something version of Paulie from the Rocky franchise. The Maui "fight" was extremely entertaining though.

Boy I really hope you haven't seen Generation Kill yet

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

IIRC, Poot's actor originally auditioned for Weebay, but they were so taken in by him they created the role of Poot even after Hassan got the role.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Count Roland posted:

I read one of those articles. It wasn't talking about Bunk, but they were saying a different cop was clearly on the take.

It made me think that one of the few omissions of the wire was that it showed so little of cops working with drug dealers. I guess We Own This City kinda updates that aspect.

Well, it certainly showed it in the Department of Corrections. With the regular PD, the show doesn't have that many random cops who would have been on the take. It was mainly the Homicide detectives and Major Crimes.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Yeah Marlo is just Avon taken to a more logical conclusion. Avon cared about things like the Sunday truce. Marlo would never because those kind of things got in the way of extracting value. For the private equity vultures descending on newspapers, that was money. For Marlo and Avon, it was about name recognition/legacy.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Yeah, it's ironic and poo poo. Marlo gets exactly what Stringer Bell wanted. But it isn't what Marlo wants so he's going to piss it all away in his quest for notoriety.

Sort of. Stringer wanted to be the person buying up influence and getting favors in his pocket but Clay just milked him for money until Stringer wised up. Instead, Levy was using Marlo's money to enrich himself in terms of influence and connections. Weirdly enough, now that i think about it, Frank Sobotka actually had more of what Stringer wanted -- influence and connections. Frank's lobbyist even noted that legislators owed Frank some favors and a few votes next legislative term.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Reminds me of Nick Offerman for Parks and Rec. I recall him saying he'd basically eat an extra food at every meal just to get to Ron's size.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Tray Chaney was putting in pretty middling work as Poot, and he's almost always paired up with J. D. Williams, who is putting on a clinic in every scene and makes Bodie one of the top 5 characters in the whole show for most viewers. Poot is basically an accessory for Bodie, only exists to be a foil and sounding board to give Bodie more to do.

IIRC, Chaney had originally auditioned for WeeBay. Even though they with with Hassan Johnson, they created Poot because Chaney had impressed them so much.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Being in Ukraine?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

surf rock posted:

Iffy moms

6.) Beadie (Jack, Cary): severe deduction for inviting McNulty into the family unit

When she invites McNulty in, he's not in Homicide or Major Crimes, but mental health wise he's better than normal McNulty is how I recall it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Orange Devil posted:

"We used to build poo poo in this country" must be number 1 because everything else derives from that.

I love Rawls tearing into Bunny after Bunny refuses to juke the stats because John Doman does it so goddamn well