Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Whoo!

I didn't read the first LP until very late in the game when I heard it suggested via podcast. I'm happy to be here on the ground floor for this one. Not used to this cast yet, but I'm sure they'll grow on me in time.

So, in Dangan Ronpa, Junko showed the images of Monoworld. Does that mean that Monoworld is confirmed a lie, since this game is a sequel. You'd think that if the world outside was fine, Naegi & Co. would be getting the word out that Hope's Peak murders its students. Or maybe this is happening concurrently as DR1 but somewhere else, so Monoworld will continue to be ambiguously true.

Anyway, theories aside, hopefully this game will exceed Dangan Ronpa in terms of... Well, everything.

Also looking forward to how Zero plays into all of this. I'm assuming from that first chapter/prologue it probably follows Junko and Mukuro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Raitzeno posted:

This sounds a lot like a Winson Paine probation reason. I like it.

Some of the names are driving me batty. There's a couple that were too long and flashed by too quickly for me to even pick up. However, I think this Togami is not "our" Togami; if Mukuro can get around with a false name, what's stopping any other impostor?

Super Dangan Ronpa 2 Togami has Togami's mannerisms down perfectly, for starters. Each of the sprites we've seen so far is exactly like Togami's from Dangan Ronpa, if he gained 300 pounds. It's still very early game as well, and that means there's not much to base theories on at the moment.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mersenne posted:

...They're not even trying to hide it anymore, are they? Except for the whole height and birthday discrepancies, this really does seem to be our Naegi. Nagito does seem to be slightly more... unhinged than Naegi was, though I guess in theory you could chalk it up to experience from the previous murder game plus whatever horrible poo poo the survivors eventually found in the outside world. Plus, I suppose having your mind physically altered not once, but twice would probably have some significant effects on your psyche.

I'm still not entirely convinced in either direction on the Naegi = Nagito theory. The birthday part I'm not too concerned about, as that could easily be a lie that Naegito told, but it's the height disparity between the two that I think hurts the theory.

Do we know how old Naegi was in Dangan Ronpa? I thought we were told the ages of some of the characters, but I may be imagining things. Assuming Naegi was around the average freshman age in the US, somewhere between 14-15, I don't think it'd be impossible for him to have grown an extra 20 centimeters over a couple of years. Whether it would be probable, though, is another story.

Then again, it doesn't help matters much that Naegi and friends spent at least one full year there before Dangan Ronpa occurred, and that he might have already grown some during that time.

Also, Oren, do you have a link for Tindeck for the song that played in the Dangan Island introduction video? It's almost as catchy as Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, I think I found my favorite character in this game, sorry Togami. Gundam so far seems like he'll be one of the comedic characters in this game, sort of like Hagakure in the first. Especially where Hagakure never realized how ridiculous he sounded.

Pyradox posted:

Got to agree - Gundam is amazing. Anyone who can summon hamsters from nowhere is a shoe in for best character.

I notice both character's we've been introduced to so far have talents that would be useful in rebuilding society. Even Nagito seems to be stepping into the hope role pretty quickly. It's early to tell but that'd make a lot of sense as a theme, assuming this does indeed take place chonologically after the events of the first game.

That said, I can't wait until we find out Togami's excuse for being back here.

That's an interesting idea. A mechanic and animal breeder would definitely be useful in rebuilding society. Maybe that'll be the theme of most of the students, and this is another supposedly televised game like Dangan Ronpa, only this time these are people with talents that could help the world instead of being SHSL Swimmer?

Although how is a SHSL Heir or SHSL Good Luck going to help the world out in a post-apocalyptic scenario?

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RentCavalier posted:

If the chef isn't the first one killed, then he isn't going to get killed for pretty much the rest of the game. That's my complete nonsense prediction. He has the potential to be a pretty funny character depending on how they play him.

I think something that has to be taken into account is that, while DR1 only had to subvert expectations of the genre, DR2 is going to have to take into account subverting expectations based on the previous game as well as the genre of the game.

For an example, a lot of people in the thread for Dangan Ronpa predicted Hagakure would die fairly early, due to his being more of the comedic character in the game. As we all know, however, Hagakure survived to the very end. Going off of that, if Hanamura is going to fill the shoes of Hagakure in this game, I don't know that he's going to survive as long. Some people are going to expect that, since they kept one character in the first game for comedy's sake, the same thing will happen in this one.

Of course, it's still too early to know anything for sure. I do believe this game will have a lot more double bluffs than DR1 did though, now that we have a previous game to base expectations off of.

Ineffiable posted:

I can't believe the best one is for last: Fatgami. (also I really just want to compare his official artwork to the DR1 one)

I really hope his official artwork is brand new, but I'm sort of expecting it to be his DR1 artwork, but about two-hundred pounds heavier.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Robust Laser posted:

Like her name. It kind of made me think of Death Note. Specifically, the list of names of FBI Agents, which were supposed to sound like believable English names, but ended up incredibly silly. And I can't for the life of me find a list of those names for examples.

But it just makes me think that Nevermind maybe is not actually supposed to sound as weird as it does to us. Would a native Japanese person find it weird? I dunno.

curiousCat posted:

-List of names-

I don't know why I looked those up, but I did. And I think Sonia Nevermind is much, much better.

To be fair about the names, the only one that readers/viewers were supposed to remember or care about was Raye Penber. None of the others were even seen aside from photographs. But they were pretty ridiculous names for the most part (Even the more normal names like Freddy are made odd by strange spellings).

I think Sonia Nevermind sounds a lot more believable compared to those names for a few reasons. Sonia is still a name used today, even if it's not all that common (I've personally never met someone named Sonia, but I know of a few).

She's also from the made-up country of Novoselic, where for all we know Nevermind may be the least ridiculous name of them all. Even between two countries that speak the same language, names can vary wildly between them (This is assuming they speak English in Novoselic).

And finally, she also has the only English name out of all of them. Hajime Hinata, Byakuya Togami, Sonia Nevermind, Nagito Komaeda. Her name sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the Japanese names. The same thing grabbed people's attention in DR1 with Celes. It at least sounds less ridiculous than Celestia Ludenberg.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hey Oren, just wanted to point out that Fedule's Riveting Editorial Anecdotes are not updated in the original post for the sixth and seventh parts.

Episode the Sixth

Episode the Seventh

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, Monomi's execution has my new favorite song in the game. And from the second opening, we see Hinata running for a few seconds by what appears to be a city, or at least hinted at by what appears to be a highway ramp. Is that a hint at one of the islands that is still locked at this point?

Zereth posted:

I think the most important question here is: The "CV:" bits are the SHSL trait for that character, right?

What did Hinata's say?

CV is just naming who the character's voice actor/actress is.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Guess I've gotta go with my favorite character and hopeful answers, so Nidai and Togami.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Alright, here's a list of the current standings updated to Robotfisherman's vote. (I keep almost posting this but then I refresh to check if there's another vote and there always is)

Gundam Tanaka: 100
Byakuya Togami: 93
Sonia Nevermind: 66
Nagito Komaeda: 35
Nekomaru Nidai: 30
Kazuichi Souda: 26
Chiaki Nanami: 24
Peko Pekoyama: 14
Ibuki Mioda: 13
Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu: 11
Hiyoko Saionji: 9
Teruteru Hanamura: 8
Akane Owari: 7
Mahiru Koizumi: 4
Mikan Tsumiki: 3

Poor Tsumiki, I'm pretty sure all three votes for her were pity votes.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
In regards to Monobear coins and presents:

orenronen posted:

Let's expand on the presents for a bit. There are a hundred to collect. The characters will accept most of them, but each one has a few they will refuse (and deprive you of your extra scene and skills), a few they really like and a handful they're ecstatic for.

I'm assuming the extra scene it's referring to is the individual scene for each character inviting you to your room for the last free time event for them.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zyxyz posted:

Working on the Dangan Ronpa 2 class in Perler beads now. Here’s the first set, including Usami/Monomi/“the Monohare”. The limitations of the Perler color palette can be frustrating to work with, but at least these sprites require far less editing than the original class.

Oh wow, those look great. Funnily enough I ironed down Nagito and Gundam head sprites earlier today, won't bother posting those now because those are ironed much better.

Are you going to do Monobear as well?

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BFC posted:

Seems like Nagito has a bit of explaining to do, seeing as he was the only one who would really be able to set things up like this.

Also where the hell did Night-vision Goggles comes from?

They were found in the supermarket where we first met Tsumiki and Ibuki.

orenronen posted:

Before we go on to the other person in this supermarket, let's check out the goods. We'll start with this suspicious pile in the front.

This stand has military goods... Are those night-vision goggles?

What supermarket would carry these things?

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

orenronen posted:

Once the first volume in done (which is pretty soon), I'll probably assemble a PDF/epub version myself, including some more edits and tweaks to the text.

I'm curious, how many volumes is DR0 split up into? And as someone with very little knowledge of Japan, is is common for light novels to be broken up into different volumes?

e: Beaten to the first question, second still stands though

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thelarue posted:

I was under the impression that DR1 spoilers were allowed. I will take the link away, I suppose, unless someone wants it.

Also looks like we need to stop talking about Junko.

edit: Looking through the thread and at what mods in this thread have posted, others have posted, and the people who DID post spoilers that weren't appreciated, it would seem that my link was OKAY. Maybe I will check the old thread and see if they are talking about the executions of Dangan Ronpa 1 characters.

Spoilers from the first game like Leon killed Maizono, Junko is the mastermind, Togami survives to the end, etc. are allowed. Things not explicitly mentioned in the first LP, such as what the execution scenes for the characters that didn't receive one would be are not.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

everythingWasBees posted:

So reading from the beginning of the first game to this point in a single sitting is not something I would recommend to anyone else. These...really aren't games that you can process all at once.

Anyway, besides the memory deletion research, I'm having trouble figuring out how Zero at this point, serves as a setup to Two. I'd say that it was the students studying abroad, but that would mean that this game took place before the original, and that seems to not be the case.
Is there some sort of character/event overlap I'm missing, or is it something that hasn't come up yet?

The students studying abroad bit is the school covering up the incident, and the students that are supposedly "studying abroad" are the ones that died.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

lotus circle posted:

Some of Fukawa's early free time events focus around her crush on Togami if memory serves right.

There was also Chihiro's last free time event, where she asks for someone to train with to get stronger and Naegi suggests Mondo.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Well, we've already had a SHSL Ghost... :v:

Hey, can someone repost the animal crossing QR codes someone made? I didn't see them in the fanart post.

I assume this is the one you're talking about, I couldn't find any other posts with Animal Crossing QR codes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Seriously Safe posted:

This, plus Hinata feeling like he's being watched earlier in the game is a little odd.

Hinata feeling like he's being watched could just be a hint to the events being broadcast to the world like the first game.

• Locked thread