Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

bazaar apparatus posted:

Clear - Awesome to-do list app. There are no buttons on-screen, everything is controlled by gestures, and it's very pretty.

Just want to chime in here and say clear is really great and totally worth the money.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

bows1 posted:

Can anyone confirm how good the new google maps is for Transit and directions around NYC? Only reason I haven't upgraded to iOS6 was Transit and Maps. Now that its back has me contemplating. Pros/Cons?

Googlemaps is a little iffy because it doesn't take into account delays or subway closures.

Use either Hopstop (my personal favorite) or Embark NYC.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Red posted:

RunPee.com - So the movie is ending, but you're not sure if you want to leave the theater, because this might be one of those loving movies with scenes after the credits. RunPee is an app that lets you know if there are indeed post-credits scenes. Of course, the meat of the app is letting you know when you can take a bathroom break, and not miss too much, but I've found that the post-credits info is a huge plus. The app was formerly free, but is now 99 cents. I'd imagine this will be free at some point in the future.

This is loving amazing. I could have used this in like 1000 movies. Thank you so much! It even tells you a brief summary of what you missed while you're pissing.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sieg posted:

So how does this work? Pull out your phone, open app, see when the best time to go to the bathroom is, put phone away, crawl over everyone to go to the bathroom, come back, and then disrupt everyone again by pulling out your phone to see what you missed.

If you do this, I hate you.

Don't you hold your dick with one hand and your phone with the other when you piss?

Also it vibrates and people who tend to go to the bathroom during movies sit in the aisle seats (me).

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I have an iPod touch 3rd gen, which can't be updated to iOS 6. A couple of my apps have updates which are for iOS 6 only. How do I hide those? I want to keep the current version, and not be bugged in my update list in the App Store. Preferably without jailbreaking.

The only thing you can do it delete the app or deal with it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

OGB posted:

Is there anything similar for movies?

Recall looks cool for multiple media, but the IMDB app using IMDB watchlists works really great.

Also, while this isn't really an IOS app, I'd say this is the best thread to place this in. It doesn't require jailbreak and it's awesome. You can put whatever custom images you want in there.

http://lifehacker.com/5972199/carriereditor-customizes-your-iphones-carrier-logo-no-jailbreak-required

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Chuck Bartowski posted:

It was mentioned earlier in the thread. Do you have a link to that wallpaper though? I rather like it.

Also that's a lot of notifications, you know you can turn badges off, right?

http://blo0p.deviantart.com/#/d515vrh

That's an entire pack of different superheroes/game characters in that style. They're really great.

That badge is for gmail, it's there to remind me to eventually clean out my inbox (it's been a while…)

Billa posted:

Never though of arranging the icons like that. Looks awesome!

It's a great way to display your wallpaper. Every other page is like that as well and I just keep all my apps in folders.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Interstitial Abs posted:

So for work I often have to do txt blasts to multiple student phones, and the Gmail chat functions like SMS messages and will do this. But I am not seeing how to do this on the ipad Gmail (and some google fu seems to confirm this doesn't exist).

So anyone know of an app that I can send SMS to actual phones? It needs to work with any phone that does SMS, not something that is basically iPad to iPhone only.

Not sure if this will fit your bill, but check out viper. Whatsapp will work if all your students have smartphones.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know of any good UFC/general MMA apps that give things like fight schedules (main card and prelim card dates and times) and fight cards? Doesn't have to be fancy, just want quick access to that info.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

rawrr posted:

Controlling it from my computer is a big thing, and there's also much more flexibility in what I can stream - it streams all the system sounds, so I can listen to online streams or watch movies (just have to set a 3 second delay in VLC). Again, it's basically like Airplay.

Airport express/Apple TV?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

iMessage can let me text solely on a data plan. I want to be able to send texts to other devices through an app on just data. I don't think What'sApp will do this, and I don't mind if Its not free.

I'm almost positive what's app is absolutely perfect for this, it just needs to be tied to a phone number.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Then you're using Flipboard wrong. It's a great app but a pretty terrible RSS reader IMO

Flipboard works great as a RSS reader if you use Google Reader integration. Otherwise... Not so much.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Boxman posted:

What do people like as a (free) TV guide app? I have What's On but it likes to randomly not load anything. I recall TV Guide being pretty feature bloated.

This might not fit your bill, but episodes (https://itunes.apple.com/app/episodes/id415127844?mt=8&ls=1) is really good. Basically you search for and set your shows to your watchlist, and the app gives you a notification (or a list view) of when your shows are airing (plus episode descriptions, channel and air time, and a day counter for upcoming shows).

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

So siriusxm app just got an update with "many bug fixes." This was seriously one of the buggiest apps I've ever used and it crashes loses place almost constantly. Lets hope that this version is better!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I know it's been mentioned in the thread before, but I just want to throw out some more love for one of my most-used apps: Delivery Status. I'm constantly tracking packages of stuff that I've both purchased and sold. and this app is a great way to keep tabs on all of them and get push notifications when a status has changed:

Slice is also really great for this. It connects to your email and drops your purchases in automatically.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Since there isn't an iBooks thread that I know about, for you guys...

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Autumncomet posted:

:siren:The Yahoo! Weather app has a new icon:siren: It is now officially the best iOS weather app. :allears:

I like that much less. looks like every other weather icon.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Dave posted:

A peak at the flatter design changes: https://twitter.com/yuize/status/341575939509071873/photo/1

How far they are taken is the question.

I love the direction they are going in. That flatter look is so much cleaner and fits so much better with the actual look of the products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Recommendation for the best shopping list app?

I came in here to post about this, but I need something more specific.

It needs to have a companion Mac app (doesn't need to be app store) that offers sync (iCloud or whatever) to the mobile app. The main function is to store and organize recipes, but it needs to be able to build easy shopping lists out of those recipes and have the ability to add other stuff to the list. It also needs to be able to be checked off as I go shopping and pick up stuff.

Not crazy expensive is a plus.

• Locked thread