Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But how do you use that app in a dark room where they warn you a half dozen times before the movie starts to shut off your drat phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd guess it's for people who always have their phone glued to their nose, texting away.

I see kids walking the sidewalk and never once looking away from their phone all the time. I'm sure those types will think it's awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In case people don't follow the iphone thread, the big app exploit for this year is out:

Tried it and it works great. Costs $2 but it's worth it. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can't read this thread without being logged in.. you'd have to get it via a google cache.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

StarWalk is what most people will recommend first. I bought it years ago and have never felt the need to try anything else.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

None of that changes that the iphone basically requires full daylight and motionless subjects to get a decent image. :colbert:

Focusing on moving people is hilariously poor.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Javid posted:

If an app is being beta tested, how does that work? Like if my company was developing an in-house app for whatever, and having a few employees test it before the rollout. And what happens if we don't want the app going to anyone not working there, is there a system for that? These may be stupid questions but they're not common enough for me to have seen the answers yet.

Yes, there are ways to give an app limited release so people can test it. The main one I know of is test flight:

https://testflightapp.com/

There are others out there though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That is so goddamn smart it's amazing I never thought to look for an app before this point. I'm constantly losing track of when new episodes are about to show up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple maps is generally fine. The search function is all it does poorly, but I get around that by using Siri which seems to work significantly better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Speaking of Bluetooth I'm looking for something to play music through my speakers wirelessly without the use of an FM transmitter. I live in the city and trying to find an FM band that isn't used or static free is close to impossible.

I've been looking around for quite a while now and I think I found something that's perfect for me The Belkin Car Audio Connect; unfortunately the aux is in my glove compartment, and the cigarette charger is in the front of the car. The wire for the Belkin simply isn't long enough. Maybe my criteria is a bit too high, but I'm looking for the following...

1. Wirelessly connect to my phone when I enter the car. Pushing a button like the Belkin Car Audio Connect would be cool too, I do not want to go into my phone and pair it up every time.

2. Music through my car's speakers. There are some stupid Bluetooths which play music through the device instead of the car's speakers.

Any suggestions? Maybe even this? Griffin BlueTrip Aux

Monoprice makes a pretty decent bluetooth receiver:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10827&cs_id=1082704&p_id=7364&seq=1&format=2

I have one in my car and it works fine. Just make sure you get a USB cable with type A connectors on both ends. Looks functionally equivalent to the Griffin option, but only costs $15. :downs:

edit - price may go up slightly if you have to buy a cigarette to usb adapter, if your car doesn't already have a usb port.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bulbous nub posted:

I actually have a BlueTrip. It works fine for Pandora, Spotify, whatever for music. Making calls and using Siri is a little bit of a pain. The BlueTrip actually has a microphone built into it and it doesn't pick up that well, at least in my car. As far as I can tell, there's no way to disable to that Microphone and just use the one built into the iPhone, so I either have to yell for the built in Mic to pick up or manually switch the phone to using the built in Mic.

With the monoprice one, phone calls automatically route to the internal speaker/microphone. Not so good for handsfree calls but I don't use the phone while driving anyways, so it doesn't effect me. It is nice to have things work properly when I've turned on the car and haven't started moving yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've never got people who will always "f0ll0wb4ck" on Twitter - your feed just becomes a total mess of One Direction and Justin Bieber fans with no actual content. Is having ten thousand followers really that important to them?

Think of all the theoretical dollars they're making!

(real reason: everyone wants an audience so they feel like a special snowflake)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't think you can do it in either app.

What you might be able to get by with is setting up the map on google on your desktop using the "My Places" feature. You can drop as many pins as you want. Then if you visit google maps in Safari, you can view the maps you created. Can't edit them on iOS though. :downs:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only downside I see to Splashtop is the reason they need you to log in is because they have a server tracking all your machines running Splashtop. When you initiate a connection from somewhere, you hit the Splashtop servers and it uses an open connection with the remote host to negotiate the link. Their tech is pretty good (good enough to allow me to watch live tv from WMC on my iphone at ~20fps) but I really wish there was an option to not use the central server. If they ever have a password leak it means every machine you installed the software on is suddenly at risk for getting completely owned.

I decided it wasn't worth it, and uninstalled. I'm comfortable configuring my router though so it wasn't much of a problem to get an alternative remote desktop option working.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Walked posted:

Speaking of remote desktop - is there an RDP client that's decent? Specifically I'm using the ios VPN client to connect to my office VPN, and I'd like the ability to connect to various servers to check on specific items when they need attention on the road?

iRemoteDesktop is okay (I think that's the name) but its not stellar. Anything worth actually paying for? I dont want to install any agent/client on the machine I'm connecting too - has to be RDP

I like iTap RDP, but that comes with the caveat that I've never used any other app in the genre so I'm not much of an authority. But it gets the job done for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All iOS ssh clients suck because none of them support kerberos. :mad:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, frequent checks are exactly what twitter wants you to do because they slip in an advertisement third from the top almost every time you load a new batch of tweets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Siri is actually a Useful Tool(tm). I'm not constantly chatting at my phone but it's been months since I've felt any need to look at the screen while I'm in the car. I can actually choose songs/playlists while moving instead of waiting for a stop light!

About the only thing Siri doesn't do that I wish it could is rate songs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For a drat mail reader. Managing email has sucked for as long as it's existed, it's just a new bow on an old pile of poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you need a guarantee that an alarm will go off, the iHome stuff works well. They have apps you can download for support and provide a dizzying array of options, but they aren't really needed. You set the alarm clock on the base station and it uses iStuff as a music source. If music fails for some reason, it falls back to the classic annoying beep.

Early releases of iOS had problems with alarms because of the way the OS handled sleeping, but in my experience all of that has been fixed since iOS 5. Which means the stock clock app should be pretty reliable. I've used it while traveling the past couple years and it hasn't failed yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

busfahrer posted:

Quick question, my google-fu seems to be failing me:

If I install an app that's free temporarily, will it stay in my iTunes account forever, so that I can install it for free on future devices, as well?

Yes, once you "own" it on your account, it's free forever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, it should be added that if the app is ever removed from the app store, you won't be able to download it anymore. But if you download the app via iTunes and save it on your desktop, it's yours as long as you want.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Any recommendations for wake on LAN apps? Do any of the free ones handle over the internet? This is for use with Splashtop.

I have consumer internet, so a dynamic IP. Is a service like Dynamic DNS still the best solution?

I bought iNet, it works well for my purposes. It has a bunch of other fun toys too, scanning public wifi is always fun (you'd be amazed how many businesses have a network printer available).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anderron Shi posted:

Are there any free jabber/xmpp clients on the app store which actually work?

Monal is sufficient. It's not flashy or amazing to use, but it works.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Have you tried asking Siri?

She does a great job giving me times for NHL games.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just pipe everything through Handbrake because :effort:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BobTheCow posted:

Today's Google Maps update allegedly includes an update to allow you to search your iOS contacts, but I can't get it to work even after following all of the in-app instructions for syncing accounts through CardDAV and all that. Is this a widespread thing or am I an idiot and somehow managing to screw this up along the way?

It can't access iOS contacts:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/03/google-maps-for-ios-can-now-use-your-contactsgoogle-contacts-that-is/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe an IM app to send yourself the link?

I haven't found a great way to get random blobs of data from Windows to iOS.. it's pretty easy on a Mac with Notes.app if both machines are signed into your iCloud account.

I generally fall back on email, it's stupid, but it works.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

webmeister posted:

I'm thinking about picking up Splashtop for remotely accessing my home PC from my Mini, anyone have any feedback on it? Does it work as well as they claim?

It's pretty awesome on a LAN.. I haven't bought it to try outside my home network though.

I can stream live tv from WMC at roughly 20 fps.. which is a little jerky, but watchable. Other remote desktop stuff like VNC or RDP do video in the low single digits so splashtop is by far the best out there for stuff like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn, is there any topic in the world that doesn't have a thread on SA?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unacknowledged posted:

Not sure on an app that would help you, but can't you just change the genres in iTunes?

Obligates you to be at home and have the iDevice plugged into the computer.

Updating song tags on the fly would be pretty cool.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EC posted:

I loving hate FB, but I'm kind of locked in because of how scattered my friends and family are. :(

It is possible to keep in touch without using a website. I know, because I've done it!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Captain Matchbox posted:

Yeah is there a way to revert back to the old FB app coz drat that face bubble is terrible.

Only option is if you have the .ipa file of an older version saved to a hard drive somewhere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bobfather posted:

Lately it has been the easiest way for Facebook to try and sell me ugly jackthread shoes.

It's also the easiest way to record everything you do on the internet into a database that is sold to anyone willing to pay. Every time you see a 'like' button on a webpage somewhere, Facebook recorded you loading that page.

Granted, you don't actually need a Facebook account for them to do this. Even people not signed in will get recorded and tucked away somewhere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seriously, this thread goes through weather apps like toilet paper.

I was just getting used to using Forecast.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like the default weather app, except for the lack of radar. I just feel like I'm not getting the full treatment unless I can see a blob of color closing in on my position.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

benisntfunny posted:

Just need to get a Jailbreak to integrate into iOS now.

Waiting for someone with a bug up their rear end to get all lawsuity on Apple to force them to allow non-default apps to register as default. Microsoft had to learn that lesson, when is it Apple's turn. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Neurophonic posted:

Did they? I've got a WP7 device here and I can't even stop it using Bing for searches, let alone change the email client or browser.

Well, their desktop OS does and it was a result of years of time in the courtroom. I've never used one of their phones.

Smartphones are still a fairly new thing, I suspect eventually some degree of flexibility will be mandated.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, but Google is starting to take some heat for their practices with Android. All it takes is one company to get hauled into court and the rest will fall into line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

voltron posted:

What do I do with the collages?

The most epic avatars on the entire internet. :colbert:

Assuming the forum you use it on allows 5MB files.

• Locked thread