Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

bazaar apparatus posted:

Twitterrific 5 - Latest edition of the popular Twitter client that invented the idea of posts being called 'tweets' and I think they also were the first to use bird imagery in their icon. Anyway, this is the only client around right now that has me thinking about switching away from Tweetbot.

Tried it out when it relaunched and I really like it. Streaming, Push and Trends are needed before I consider using it as my daily driver though.

bazaar apparatus posted:

Drafts - Great app for quickly jotting down ideas in text form, and can be sent to any number of places like Evernote, Twitter, Dropbox, other text editor apps, Reminders, Clear, Fantastical, and a bunch more I'm forgetting. My review.

Thanks for recommending this. Your taste and blog are once again fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

bazaar apparatus posted:

From what I've heard, the developers specifically left out options like these because they intended it to be more of a casual Twitter experience rather than one for Power Users™. They were trying to make a statement that software should be opinionated, not just a list of all the same features as [x app]. I kinda like them for that.

But thank you for the compliment on my blog. I've been working hard on it :)

I can respect them for that and it's certainly my go-to when I just want something quick and interesting to do for two minutes but Trends are kind of a fundamental part of Twitter, even if the majority are poo poo. Streaming wouldn't go amiss but I can live without push. The auto dark mode is great as are the animations and font. I certainly don't regret purchasing it.

No problem :)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Facebook has been updated. Boasts a rebuilt timeline and the ability to add photos into an album when uploading.

If you'd have told me this time last year the IOS Facebook app would ever be good I'd have laughed but it's really rather great since the last few updates.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Clear's my personal favourite but some people have problems with it being too simple.

Billa posted:

I don't really need it to be extremely complex.
But it doesn't sound like that's too much of an issue.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Thirteenth Step posted:

Wunderlist2 is released later today and that looks very good.

Cool. New app or update?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I just added an app called Game Your Video to my AppShopper list and not 5 minutes later it went free. Just gave it a quick try and it seems like an intuitive easy way to edit your videos.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is there a good alternative for Reeder? I don't like that its not universal.

I use Reeder for iPhone and Mr Reader for iPad, a tad costly but a great setup.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Billa posted:

Yeah, I used to use that combo (imho the best) until I checked Flipboard and haven't used RSS since then.

Using it less and less. Just to check in with B3ta, Longform and now Unretrofied. I might just try and add those to Flipboard though. It's a fantastic app.

I'd be interested to know how Flipboard makes money if anyone knows. I originally assumed it was those ads but they don't seem to appear on the Twitter section so I'm thinking maybe they're set by publisher.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
It's a lot more attractive and the syncing works better IMO. A nice middle ground is Pocket Casts but there's no universal version if that matters to you. I swap around every few months when a new update grabs me and I'm using Instacast at the moment. It's great.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Really though, as a user of all 3 at some point, Downcast (as powerful as it is) is just plain ugly. Instacast's nice' clean and simple. It's your $$$ at the end of the day and they all do pretty much the same tasks. But the syncing and aesthetics give Instacast the edge.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Liquid Penguins posted:

I'm not paying money to listen to podcasts on my phone.

You say that now, but you really should.

All the 3rd party podcast apps are fantastic and Apple's is complete poo poo.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
So after everyone backing it up in the thread I'm giving Downcast another try.

Does the refresh at location, as cool as it sounds, have a noticeable effect on battery life? If not that's fantastic!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

IUG posted:

Someone figured out if you place your codes in a broken URL tag, then only people who can quote you can see the code. Something like this (quote to see, duh):

That's pretty useful. Why does no-one use that?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, are there any apps you guys would recommend to make custom ringtones out of songs from my library?

I like Pimp Your Sound myself. But it comes with the universals IOS caveat of having to use iTunes (on your computer) at some point it the process.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Pan Ache posted:

I have been trying to use pocket but the email to save links method is annoying. Do any of the read it later type apps have a quick way to save things from safari?

You can use the bookmarklet. That's the way all of the read it later apps do it. It's in the help menu in Pocket.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
How do you even find irc channels now? Are there any goon recommended?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I just used Apple Maps for the first time today and it was a really positive experience.

It shows the GPS on the lock screen and turns the screen on and off when it's needed and if you use the phone while navigating (I was the passenger) the status bar is replaced by a useful direction ticker type thing.

It got us there too.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Oh wow this is fantastic, thanks.

I didn't even know anything like this existed. It all seems so simple now.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kingnothing posted:

Also, while this isn't really an IOS app, I'd say this is the best thread to place this in. It doesn't require jailbreak and it's awesome. You can put whatever custom images you want in there.

http://lifehacker.com/5972199/carriereditor-customizes-your-iphones-carrier-logo-no-jailbreak-required

It was mentioned earlier in the thread. Do you have a link to that wallpaper though? I rather like it.

Also that's a lot of notifications, you know you can turn badges off, right?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kingnothing posted:

http://blo0p.deviantart.com/#/d515vrh

That's an entire pack of different superheroes/game characters in that style. They're really great.

That badge is for gmail, it's there to remind me to eventually clean out my inbox (it's been a while…)

Thanks! These are great.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

rawrr posted:

Along that line, is there a "dock" app that doesn't look like rear end? Something that displays the time and maybe the weather when I have the ipod docked?

Weather Live is great and looks fantastic. There's a free version as well I think although I'm not sure what limits it has in place.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

There's this app called AppGratis that features paid apps that are dropped in price to free "for 24 hours"; I just got Angry Birds Rio for free on its list of previous deals, which usually are still free for a while after.

FYI Angry Birds Rio is free all week because it's the iTunes free game of the week. It has nothing to do with AppGratis

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

echinopsis posted:

Plus Appshopper does that and more. Appshopper, remember it, tell your friends

Your friends can't get it anymore though, so you're basically just gloating :ohdear:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

This looks alright but it baffles me that this is allowed but AppShopper is a no go

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

hypersleep posted:

AppShopper is by far the best app price change/update tracker. It's a shame Apple pulled the app, but the site works just fine anyway.

Is there a mobile version of the site? Whenever I follow a link from this thread it goes to the full page

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

bobfather posted:

Does it really surprise you? The iPhone 5 was out for months before the app got pulled, and they never updated their app for the iPhone 5. A real shame, since my intention was to buy the IAP to remove the ads the minute they did update.

I'm not sure what your point is.

A big update was in the pipeline when it got pulled apparently.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there an app I can use to put two videos from the camera roll together? I have two 5 second videos I'd like to make into a 10 second one.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

presumably iMovie

That looks like what I need but I'd rather not spend £2.99 for what I only need once. I'll consider it if there's no other suggestions though. Thanks

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

duckfarts posted:

Splice - Video Editor is free and should serve your needs, though I think it re-encodes so there may be some quality loss. It's been a while since I used it though, so maybe things have gotten better.

I just did it on my laptop when I got home but I've grabbed it for future use. Thanks

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there anyway to create a photo stream that two/multiple people can post pictures to? I want to set one up with my Dad but he can't add pictures to the one I invited him to.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kheldarn posted:

What's a good Twitter client that will let me filter things? At the least, I want to be able to type in my own keywords, but if it can filter #tags, that'd be a nice bonus.

Tweetbot is both the best Twitter client and allows for all sorts of filtering.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Aranan posted:

Is there any distinct advantage to Instacast or Downcast or is it still a toss up? I'm finally tired of podcast.app acting crazy on me and I'm willing to try one of those two pay-for apps.

You can't really go wrong. I fluctuate myself, but Downcast is probably my number one.

Instacast is working on a Mac version with syncing (non iCloud) between the two, if that's something that appeals to you.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Downcast is currently on sale as well. Not much, but if you're going to get it anyway… :shrug:

The Batman posted:

I'm not sure why Pocket Casts doesn't get much love here. It's a great app in my experience.
I liked that too but there were a few features I missed from Downcast. There are a tonne of good options.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Diabolik900 posted:

• No auto-downloading. The other apps will download new episodes every time you launch the app, but Downcast makes you manually press the download button on every episode. Technically this probably falls under "General lack of features", but I'm listing it separately because it's the only one that I personally miss.

I assume this is a mistake and you meant Pocket Casts in this instance, because Downcast auto-downloads.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kazy posted:

What's the go-to barcode/QR scanning app? It looks like Bakodo's been abandoned.

Red Laser for me

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
So a great big paragraph of nothing… thanks Twitter

I'm really happy with Tweetbot still so it's no skin off my teeth :shrug:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
You don't see this?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
The new Downcast update pretties it up somewhat and I've been happy with it
for a few weeks. Think I might have finally stopped switching between podcast apps.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Kickstarter now has an app and it seems pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

PaganGoatPants posted:

I've never had mine crash like that.

Me neither. Delete/reinstall, tonic?

• Locked thread