Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Pinocchio Clegg's arm as a figleaf, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I read Peter's lines in Will Self's voice. He's probably critiqued a baby at some point, right?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

So that IoS cartoon is a parody, right? The whole "gun control laws represented as a gun" thing really confuses the message. Not that it's stopped dozens of US cartoonists.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Steve Bell did it better:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Paul Thomas reminds me of Terry Wise over in the main politoons thread. They have the same lovely draftsmanship, unrecognisable caricatures and addiction to having a character pointing and laboriously explaining the joke. Plus the terrible opinions mixed with a tiny bit of fear at being increasingly old and irrelevant in a terrifying new world.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

There's also a handy flow chart for the editor in a hurry:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Nice yonic symbolism with that pitta bread.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

That's Phillip reading the paper, and given he recently visited the Doctor Who set I assume Charles is leading the Daleks to oust his mum?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Not sure if you're joking but we don't. There's a pub and the trees go from round to pointy, that's about it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

If there's a line I've not seen it on the A1. There is a Welcome to Scotland sign though, and it's always amused me that there's no corresponding Welcome to England sign on the other side.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The most obvious "a thing happened" is Justin Bieber's DUI, and it would even fit the point Bob's trying to make. None of the specifics match though.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I would be very very surprised if Paul Thomas had anywhere near the technical knowledge to ctrl-c and ctrl-v. He does redraw the same scenes and poses over and over and over though, and the genius of his "two quasi-human monstrosities walk past a Big News Sign and comment on it" is it can be infinitely reused.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

This is so close to being a really good / depressing cartoon.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think one of the thread regulars also did Cameron in a pastiche of this also.

[e]: Here we are, it was Bell:

I think that's more a clever inversion of the recruiting poster instead of a specific jab at Cameron given it's dated 2009... but it's depressingly applicable today.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Cloud Potato posted:

Yesterday's Telegraph:

The discarded campaign materials and unmarked ballot seem to be implying that Scots wouldn't turn out to vote. This seems pretty loving stupid when turnout was widely predicted to be (and ended up being) over 85%.

Or am I misreading this?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Cloud Potato posted:

Bear in mind it's yesterday's cartoon; I see it more as "After all the campaigning and drama, it's time to vote".

Yeah I considered that too but the unattended ballot sticks out. A queue of voters (with no overt Yes / No attire) outside a polling station might have made the point better.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Forums Terrorist posted:

Oh, man, First Dog. Do more of him please, even if he is technically Aussie.

His art is godawful but sometimes he's pretty spot on.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Cloud Potato posted:

Telegraph:

Times:

It really says something about the Nige cult of personality when half the cartoons about UKIP's first MP don't even show Carswell himself.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Geokinesis posted:

Haha it really sounds like a (pretentious) schoolchild level comeback.

How about a referendum on YOUR MUM.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

:drat: I really didn't expect the Torygraph to be the ones to pull this out.

also lollin at Thomas' twenty-foot tall Pistorius

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I'm not a fan of Salmond but criticising him for acting politically is the dumbest poo poo.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Hm, Cloud Potato's put up the day's cartoons. Let's see, Ukip Ukip Ukip Uki JESUS CHRIST

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Ukip were so pleased with this cartoon that they made it their Christmas card this year.

Unfortunately they forgot to ask Adams first.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

"Leave it to me! I'll become BFFs with Satan and defend him to the last, even when he's extradited from Hell and under house arrest awaiting trial. That's what you meant, right?"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Does this cartoonist know about the House of Lords?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

BastardySkull posted:

Thomas has gone so we've replaced him in the thread with about 50 mostly irrelevant Australian cartoons for some reason. Who's idea was that?

Let's get the Canadian ones in here too and go for a full-blown Commonwealth Cartoons thread.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Angepain posted:

are there any really good Canadian cartoonists about? or would it just be endless JJ McCulloch posts

Graeme Mackay is pretty decent as far as I remember? If we go full commonwealth there was also a Jamaican cartoonist who was generally alright apart from being a scorching homophobe, I haven't seen his stuff in the main thread in a while.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I'd be interested to see what percentage of the population thinks that violence could be justified against, say, people desecrating ARE FLAG or poppies. Apparently 3% of MPs called for legislation making burning the Union Jack a criminal offence :v:

Based on Facebook / article comments the last time this happened it's quite a lot!

Concerning attitudes towards homosexuality, it's not just the Muslim community that's composed of around 25% shitheads: http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/09/10/survey-a-quarter-of-people-in-the-uk-disagree-with-homosexuality-but-acceptance-continues-to-rise/

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

Latest First Dogs:

:words:

First Dog on the Moon: seriously though, you are boring the complete poo poo out of me right now

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Looks like Jeremy Clarkson.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Cliff Racer posted:

I like the Guardian's today but think it would have made more sense for Salmond to actually physically be on Miliband's left due to the joke.

That's Balls, and Salmond is to his left.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

vegetables posted:

I find the endless "Ed Miliband is Wallace" cartoons from the Times really annoying; am I the only one? They hardly ever seem to have a point beyond "Ed Miliband looks silly; you can tell he does because we've drawn him like a plasticine man in this otherwise unremarkable situation", and there are about ten thousand of them.

At the very least it's stopped wags calling him Beaker, which never made sense given Danny Alexander is in the cabinet.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on... the first prime-time TV contest of the general election

Why is Mac asking us to choose between Labour and Labour???

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Am I being overly sensitive, or is a cartoon where the punchline is "haha, I bet this guy I don't like suffers from mental illness" super lovely? Especially given how vicious the rumours about Gordon Brown were.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Cloud Potato posted:

Sunday Telegraph:

Maybe I've spent too long in the US thread, but I think I've seen this cartoon about a dozen times now. Right wingers of all stripes really get hot under the collar about how sexy and manly Putin's authoritarian regime is don't they?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

kapparomeo posted:

"Putin is strong and assertive; the West is weak and passive". Seems to be a pretty straightforward theme for cartoons really.

Yes, this is a great example of what I'm talking about.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

My point is that Putin likes to project a tough, manly image (both as a person and on the international stage), but they're both total fictions. His posturing has resulted in sanctions that have dealt Russia's economy a significant blow and outside of Russia and their neighbours his influence is limited.

So when right-wing cartoonists show him as "strong" and <insert leader here> as weak it means they're thick enough to be taken in by his PR campaign. It also infers that they want their leader to be more like Putin and... invade a country? Oppress the gays a bit?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

If your cartoon is anti-Putin then simply repeating the tough-guy image put around by his PR team is a curious decision to say the least.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah, I would have made a crack about not knowing how to draw Corbyn but Adams did a decent one on Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Cliff Racer posted:

Its not actually the second time he used Medusa, I'm positive that it happened at least once before, at least in my time following these threads. I also tend to find it annoying because derivative works like it will never quite be able to be as damning as the thing they are derived from. That especially caught my eye a couple months ago when one of the "better" cartoonists aped an old cartoon about Tammany Hall. All I was left thinking of was how much better the original was at making its point, it was a much more damning portrayal of boss Tweed than whoever it was the current cartoonist was on about. (BBC scandal stuff I think?)

It could have been Dave Brown in the Indy, he loves his parodies of classic art.

Scrolling through the OP I noticed this fantastic Steve Bell toon from 2012:

Even with all the monstering Ed Miliband received in the run-up to the election, I don't think anyone came close to this. It's utterly devastating. I love it.

• Locked thread