Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

UC Special Task Force Unit Operative
I didn't get this post in fast enough to make it onto the first page, but I sent my copy of Freemasons for Dummies off to Wizard of Smart today. Not sure the best way to get it moving around, but I guess the easiest would be for him to post when he's finished reading it for the next interested person to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

I decided to chance it, worst case it would get bounced back to me. Glad it went through OK

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Snowy posted:

I say savor the degrees and take your time.

I've heard this from many different people online, but then I've read about the popularity of the "one-day mason" classes in a few states. While I understand the idea of learning as much as you can at each step, is there really a benefit to taking time between, or did you learn more after and looking back on it?

I guess in many ways, its going to be at the preference of the local lodge, but they're doing them in 11 cities in Ohio this year, expecting thousands of attendees.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

I looked in the last thread, and saw I first started thinking about joining in 2008. Tonight I meet with the closest lodge to me finally to get a tour of their building and talk about Freemasonry. So, only 4 years of fence sitting :)

One thing I found kind of interesting (and somewhat odd) is that after emailing the lodge's "for more information" address, it's been the Worshipful Master I've been talking to. I would think there would be other people handling these kinds of inquiries, especially since this lodge seems to be fairly robust in participation. I'm waiting to hear back from 2 other lodges I sent emails to, and neither has a phone number to call to follow up, but if tonight makes me think they're a good fit, I'll probably not worry about other visits.

Thanks to everyone in the thread, you've been a great help with answering my questions. Hopefully I can report back sometime this year about finishing up my Master Mason work.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

I submitted my petition with $200. They explained before I did where all the money went, and that it was $50 a year after that. The $200 broke down to one years dues, a payment to the state for joining and to put into the Masonic Retirement home fund, and the costs associated with the degrees. Hopefully they are sustainable at that cost, the local Shriners' building got sold, torn down and made into a parking lot recently, which is sad considering we have a Shriners' Burn Hospital here, but they moved their operations in with the Scottish Rite and a few lodges at our downtown Masonic center.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Got a call and a letter from the lodge secretary today, my EA is set for March 6th. We'll see how this goes, I've already been given a challenge by the investigation committee to not take any of the "shortcuts" that are allowed in Ohio. So I'm going to try and do it as traditionally as possible, even though that may take a bit longer.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

I did my EA tonight, and I think I surprised a few people afterwards when I told them that I started thinking about joining Freemasonry in 2008. I was lucky to have one of my friends who answered a lot of my questions before I decided to petition in attendance.

I'd say overall it was not at all what I was expecting, but in a good way. After we were finished, I was introducing myself to people, and found a lot of them worked for various city or county departments, which was interesting, since i am a state employee. That wasn't anything I had even thought of prior to talking to them, but its an interesting coincidence. So that means we'll at least have things to talk about.

I've got a lot to study and learn, but from my interactions at the various dinners I've been at and meeting people tonight, it's very definitely worth it. While the WM told me the advice he got when he first joined was "don't forget, there are going to be assholes in any organization", I can see the definite ties of brotherhood amongst them. There were people who had not seen each other in months or years, and a brother who is living with another while he gets back on his feet after a layoff. They all caught up with each other, but also were sure to talk to my guest and me.

Now that I've taken the first step, which is already the hardest, I think the path will be a good one. If the thread is indicative of what's to come, I'm sure it will be.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

I've got a question on what's permissable in terms of learning my EA information. Not sure if someone is willing to answer over PM, or if its ok to ask in here. I'm still waiting on a mentor, so I'm not sure who else to ask.

For a little content, I found it odd that at the night of the last meeting, I was being told about each step and the time in between to learn while 2 people were turning in petitions to be read so they could be voted on in time for them to attend the 1 day Grand Master's class, where they'll run through all 3 plus SR 4th degree in one day. I got the feeling that it is kind of looked down on to so it that way, and promised myself I'd do it the "right" way, so even if they'd ask I wouldn't go. It just confused me to see such a difference within one lodge on that. I'm pretty sure I'm going to self impose a 1 year wait on myself between MM and any appendant bodies.

And as a follow up to my post-EA report, I found out that one of the participants that night, who was one of the first people I met in the lodge, is getting his 33rd degree later this year. Kind of humbling to realize that someone that involved and honored by others will come to Lodge to help with a new brother's iniation.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Next week will be 2 months from my EA. For whatever reason there hasn't been someone assigned to work with me on proficiency, I'm hoping that may happen at the next meeting. I went to the April meeting, but left when all the MM's went upstairs, so we'll see how this month goes. I think I'll chat up the brother cooking and see what help he needs, if nothing else I'll have more to do than just eat and talk. I've gotten some help from other people I know, so I think I have most of the proficiency ready to study, but I want to make 100% sure so I don't mis-memorize. Here's a question though, when you are tested on proficiency, is it with the person who helped you learn? I think they may be slightly overwhelmed with new EAs oddly enough, every time I've been to a meeting there's been a petition being turned in, so the mentors may be over booked so to speak. I guess that's a good sign for the health of the lodge, but its keeping me anxious over learning it all.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Keetron posted:

Did you receive the full work on paper? Use a voice recorder or Audicity or something to record the parts from the other guy and then practise in solitude.

Cipher, but I've walked through it a couple times.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

I'm seeking a bit of brotherly advice. If you look back in the thread, you'll see my post about my EA in March. Since then I've attending meetings as I can, missed 2 meetings since then. I've talked with lodge officers and other brothers, and still have had no one to practice my memorization with, and all my offers to help with dinner cleaning have been declined by the two who do that.

So, since I have no one to practice with, I'm not past EA proficiency. Should I keep pressing forward with this lodge, or is it time to look at other lodges? Election is next month, so I'm wondering if a change in officers might be worth the wait, or if this isn't the right fit. Everyone has been great socially, I just seems they're disorganized.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

I finally got a call from the lodge secretary, and apparently it wasn't a case of "we forgot", it was a case of losing one WM to resignation and prepping for elections next month. The secretary and I sat down last night, and went over a lot of the examination stuff, and I'm meeting him again on Saturday for round 2.

If this goes well, I think I'll stick around this lodge rather than look elsewhere, mainly because it's the best fit in terms of its membership. I live about an hour away from the next lodge that has the varied makeup that this one has in therms of pretty much every variable, and the ability to still come together in brotherhood was a huge draw to Freemasonry in the first place.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Did my EA proficiency Wednesday night, which was lodge election night. Until after the meeting, I had no clue that almost 3/4 of the brothers in attendance were PMs, and that the DDGM and the just prior DDGM were there. I don't think I would have been as good if I had know, I only stumbled 3 times.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Doing my FC tonight, probably going to be one of the few times I'm glad they crank the heat in the lodge room. Going to be interesting one, we have a whole new line other than the Tyler and secretary, but all but one are PM's.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

I believe they found this text, and stole secrets.

http://goo.gl/QlwT5T

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Massasoit posted:

To recap: do the Masons get out there and help folks out, and how much would I expect to pay in dues?

On costs, my lodge is $200 for all 3 degrees, payable at each step or all together. This also covers year one dues, and a $50 donation to the Ohio Masonic Homes. After that, dues are $50 a year.

In terms of helping out, I think that's going to depend on the lodge too. As a point of comparison, for OA vs Freemasonry, it's all a matter of who is willing to do what. As OA lodge chief, I was approached by the Council to take on a project that would raise campership funds. That was in 1995, and the program is still going today. The amount raised goes up ahd down depending on the interest of the Arrowmen involved, but it's still there. In terms of Freemasonry, my Lodge has a major focus on military relief. They collect donations for care packages year round, plus this month and next month, we are collecting clothing for the VA hospital for vets who need them. So while it's not "getting out", there's a lot of help monetarily.

Apparently though, US Freemasonry is seen by some as too philanthropically focused internationally. Where many countries focus on personal development and knowledge, they see the US Lodges as overly focused on helping others. Their stance seems to be to help others is noble, but the Lodge is there to help the brother. By improving him, he can go on to help others.

Personally I like the balance. I'm focused on learning as much as I can in Freemasonry, but I'm willing to help on any outside projects as part of that. I work close to a Shriner's Hospital, so I see many older Shriners who serve as "road runners", driving children from all over the country to get care here for burns, and local members taking children to other cities for care there. Last night in Lodge, we were reminded of an upcoming project to benefit the Scottish Rite dislexyia programs.

That's a lot to say YMMV, but the opportunity to help is there, but you may need to visit multiple lodges, or seek out which appendant body focuses where you would like to.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Did my Master Mason tonight, not what I was expecting after the other two, but well put on by the other brothers. Our Junior Warden is an actor locally, so he's helping to prevent the droning monotone that can happen in any kind of ceremony.

So now to memorize before we go dark in July, shouldn't be too hard a deadline.

The local Valley's reunion is in two weeks, so I got asked if I wanted to get my petition together and get it in, but I passed on that.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Question on a phrase I'm considering on my ring. I'm getting collecting information looking online, so I'm hoping some of you that are in Scottish Rite can answer. The phrase "Ordo ab Chao" is shown in some texts as one of the oldest mottos of Freemasonry, while it is also listed as one of the mottos of the 33 degree. So, I'm not sure if that would be appropriate on my ring.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Practical question: how do you memorise ritual?
Mnemonics? Small slabs at a time? Record and listen back? Automotive negative reinforcement?
I'm looking for some ways to help myself and other younger members...

This is one of our Grand Lodge LEO programs on learning ritual. I've used the ideas in learning my exam materials, and will use it for ritual when I start on that.

http://freemason.com/images/leo/Memorization.pdf

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

gently caress Im immensely happy about what happened tonight.

Congrats, and like everyone else has said, just try to absorb everything. Is your state a mouth-to-ear proficiency or do you get a booklet?

The degrees only get better from here, enjoy them as the candidate, then go back to watch others when you can. I'm planning on doing all three degrees in order as a spectator, to get that side of the experience.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

So my idea for a sticker on my car worked out pretty well. I drive a black car, and I wanted something low key with a little secret meaning.

I ordered a S&C in black reflective, so it would give light when someone had their lights on behind me.

In the dark:

Hit with light in the dark:

In ambient daylight

If anyone wants one, carstickers.com is where I got it. This is the simpler one, they also have one with scroll work, and will make anything you can send them in vector format.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Did the Scottish Rite Membership class this weekend, 8 degrees in 2 days. Now to try to catch the rest. A couple valleys in Ohio seem to be trying the DVDs of degrees, but I'm going to try and see them all acted out.

There was a contingent of members of the local Prince Hall Valley, who came to observe the degrees and see how they're different. Apparently the Cincinnati Valley does a program during each year where the degrees are presented by each for all members to see. I think that will be an interesting experience.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Flying Fortress posted:

I'm currently at the 12th degree in Scottish Rite, and it sounds crazy to me to hear you guys talking about DVDs. We've got a bunch of guys acting it out and it's awesome.

I think declining membership is taking its toll. The class was 23 people, adding to a valley of 5000 men. Looking at past class pictures, they averaged 200+, and peak membership was 18,000. I'm in Ohio, which is supposedly has the highest per capita membership in Freemasonry, so I can imagine many valleys can't pull a degree team together.

I'm going to avoid DVDs, I think I'd rather wait years to see it acted out.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Didn't take any offense, I'm lamenting the loss with you. I did get to be the exemplar for the 18th which was a cool experience. The productions took 90+ people, so it is a pretty overwhelming feeling all these guys did this to assure I could see the work.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Emron posted:

Any Ohio guys in this thread? My valley is putting on a 24th degree (brothers of the forest) in an outdoor setting next month.

Where in Ohio? I'm in Cincinnati

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Well, just got elected WM for what will prove to be an interesting year, we are selling our current building and consolidating with another lodge at their location since they are in danger of folding. Going to be a bumpy ride

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

I'm keeping the brother's name and his lodge name out of the screenshot, but ... this is some incredible cognitive dissonance, right? It's not just me?

I get to do a pass the hat at lodge today for the 13 year old son of a Mason in our district who got shot last night. Luckily he’s out of the hospital and the suspect is in custody, but we have someone today on the agenda for a gun raffle for Honor Flight, so we will see how it goes. I foresee a lot of gaveling.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Emron posted:

Any of you other guys doing the Hauts Grade Academy for AASR NMJ?

I am. Have one more paper for level 2 to go, working on figuring out my topic for level 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Emron posted:

I just started in on level 2. The whole thing is a great idea, but needs some more polish on implementation, in my opinion.

Level two seems to vary depending on your advisor. I’ve had some good conversations over mail, which aren’t part of the program, but are educational. Part 1 seemed like a formality, and didn’t dig at all.

I did SJ Master Craftsman 1 before they moved a bunch around and still am in the process of the Symbolic Lodge and second Scottish Rite part. Those are good for learning what’s in Morals and Dogma and Esoterika, but don’t make me dig into the meaning in the same way as HGA will in part 3.

Then to be inane, I have the Companion Adept of the Temple on my shelf as the next thing after all those. If you can, might as well take all of them. Only the HGA has time limits.