Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I hate to do this because I'm sure tons of people come in here asking, but I'm in need of a TV:

-< $500 budget
-SmartTV preferred (HBO Go, Netflix, Wifi 802.11n (or even 802.11ac))
-40" or so

I would just go off Wirecutter's recommendations but they haven't updated their article in a couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ooms posted:

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M401i-A3-40-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00CI3BP06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374369502&sr=8-1&keywords=m401i-a3

You won't get HBO Go on any TV other than Samsung.
That will be about the best TV you will get for $500.

If you have a Costco near you i'd get it there as you will get a 1+1 year warranty when you buy it there.

If I removed the SmartTV requirement, does that change anything? Why a LED over a Plasma (tons of AV nerds are adamant that Plasma has superior video quality and is cheaper).

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Can somebody explain to me why Vizio/Samsung 65" TVs from 2017 only seem to have 32 local dimming zones, but TCL's 2018 6-series 65" has 120 dimming zones? Is the 2018 6-series TCL that much better than 2017 models, or is Vizio and Samsung using black magic to have 32 local dimming zones perform as well as a display with 120?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Also Woot has the 55" B series refurbed for $1099 (Prime shipping included for Amazon folk):

https://www.woot.com/offers/lg-55-oled-4k-120-hz-tv?ref=w_cnt_gw_dly_img

Somebody talk me out of buying this.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

codo27 posted:

You find it that bad? I set up my brother's 850 and one other as well and it seems fine. Terrarium on there is a breeze. That said the Nvidia Shield should be connected to every serious streamers TV

Does the Shield support Dolby Vision? I think I'd prefer an Apple TV, although I'm not an Apple hater.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Dogen posted:

If you bought a tv this year I don’t know what you’d need to buy one for before ten years were up unless it broke, but on the other hand poo poo has come pretty far since DLP.

I feel like as long as your TV supports Dolby Vision/Atmos, you'll likely be fine for a decade. My 1080p 46" LED is going on 8 years old.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Samsung TVs still don't support Dolby Vision, correct? Pretty baffling at that price point. Every once in a while, a friend with a Samsung TV will complain to me about not being able to watch a DoVi HDR file on my Plex server.

Your parents probably won't care, though.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 9, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bitprophet posted:

So I see! Alas, reseating the cables we were able to even unseat (a few of them were in real tight) hasn't made a difference. So my original questions stand :(

$999 65” Sony from Costco with their free extended warranty when you use their credit card (7 years total I think)

Worth getting a membership for the cash back and purchase alone.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 11, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Tricky Ed posted:

As for Airplay, (nearly) every TV will support it, but will require being connected to the internet to do so. Apple standards tend to work best on apple devices, though, so be prepared to get an Apple TV if you find the experience to be subpar. As a side benefit you'll get fewer ads and Apple makes 'em look good, kinda?

I've gotten so many positive comments from non-AppleTV user who comes over and notice the aerial drone screensavers. At the very least, the Apple TV's interface feels a lot less bogged down with sponsored content than a Roku, Android TV, or Fire Stick. A lot of people don't care enough to spend the money on one, though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

if you use apple tv on an LG OLED are there any ads? or at least ones that can't be removed

No ads.

The only annoying default setting that the Apple TV has is they map the home screen button on the remote to their "TV" app, which showcases different media across different streaming apps. If regularly stream across different apps, this is nice because it will let you continue where you left off without navigating to that specific app, but if you're only using Plex or whatever, it will just show a bunch of media you can't access.

You can remap the home button to take you to the home screen and ignore the TV app altogether, if you really wanted to (I map the home button to take me back to the home screen, but use different streaming apps so I find myself continuing where I left off from the TV app), which is really clean with media you've been watching at the top so you can continue where you left off and app icons below it.

It's definitely the cleanest and smoothest user experience on any streaming box I've used. Some hardcore AV nerds prefer the Shield TV because it can handle lossless audio codecs, but that's a pretty niche use-case.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 25, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I don't really fault Netflix for that. Getting integrated into the TV app means handing over a lot of viewing habit data to Apple and why in the ever-loving gently caress would you want to do that with a competitor? It also keeps people out of the app more so discoverability takes a hit.

Their app sucks, their 4k quality sucks, their content sucks - it was easy to justify cancelling their service last year when we realized the only thing we were watching on it were Great British Bake Off.

I'll re-subscribe for Sandman season 2 and cancel after I binge it.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 27, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

May I recommend buying the two audiobooks from audible (5 minute sample on the product page).

I've heard good things, I'll check it out.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I mean, that's fine if you feel that way, but that doesn't really change anything.

Does Netflix purposely leave their content off of Google search because Google has access to click thru analytics? Of course not, so why are you bootlicking for Netflix and their anti-user friendly bullshit like leaving their content off of AppleTV's global TV app? They don't do it on Google TV.

It certainly changed things in our shared family household - we cancelled Netflix and just pirate all their content instead.

Hadlock posted:

What's your Internet speed and what reference video are you using

I've never had any image quality issues but I've been on gigabit until very recently

Netflix's 4K bitrate is the lowest of all the streaming services

They're also the only streaming service left charging extra for 4K, and they've cut the 4K bitrate in half.

Their 4K TV shows are only 8 mbps bitrate.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 28, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Google doesn't make content.

Apple does. That's the distinction.

Apple also has bottomless pockets. Netflix and Apple are completing for the same projects to develop. Apple can very easily (and probably already has) outbid their competitors on new projects, so the less information they have on their competitors needs, they less they are able to do that.

It's not bootlicking to point out the very real business reason why one company doesn't want to hand a competitor their user analytics.

MAX and Paramount+ both charge extra for 4k as it is only available on the upper tiers of service.

Roku makes content and Netflix doesn't withhold features from Roku devices.

Same with Amazon and their Fire TVs.

Apple already has the analytics - users on their devices are searching for Netflix content and they surely have all the analytics associated with those search queries whether or not Netflix consents to it. At the end of the day, it's a bad business decision that hurts consumers.

Apple isn't bidding on lovely reality shows or whatever, which seems to be Netflix's priority nowadays, so why should they even care?

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 28, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bull3964 posted:

As far as anti-consumer, let me just fire-up the AppleTV app and watch the content I've subscribed to on my Android phon....oh.

Look, we get it, you don't like netflix. So why do you even care? Go ahead and watch See or Invasion on AppleTV+ and bath in the quality content.

I just think it's really silly when somebody tries to justify bad business decisions. Now explain away Spotify's lack of lossless audio while everybody else has it for free.

Nothing stopping you from streaming it from Chrome.

Ted Lasso, Strange Planet, Platonic, Shrinking, Silo, Severance, Foundation... all great shows...

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 28, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Does apple really restrict their content to apple only devices? That feels very 2012

No, they have an AppleTV+ app on all the steaming boxes, including Google TV, they just haven't released an app on Android phones yet. They have Apple Music on all the other platforms, though.

You can also stream AppleTV+ content from any browser on any device if you really wanted to.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 28, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hadlock posted:

At one point YouTube went balls deep on the whole content creation thing. They're physically distinct from Google still but though like, 2017 or 18 they definitely had funding to go find their own game of thrones or friends sitcom thing

The guy clearly works for Netflix or something, I'm sure he'll come up with an excuse why Google owning YouTube (and YouTube TV) is TOTALLY DIFFERENT than Apple competing with Netflix. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, Roku has their own streaming services and hardware. Amazon as well, and every other streaming service's app doesn't have an issue integrating with the TV app (except YouTube's horribly optimized and buggy iOS/TV apps, which is a discussion for another day), and that's what makes it a bad decision on Netflix's part and deserving of criticism, along with the bad video quality, cancelling shows after 3 seasons, and charging more for subpar 4k.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 28, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

codo27 posted:

My buddy put it best, "the world is loving junk". For real though, what percentage of spotify users care about this? 1%? 0.1%? Less? You got people out there who think they are king poo poo with Beats headphones and Sonos speakers.

The issue is two-fold - Spotify is missing both Lossless and Atmos-mastered audio, and you can use
any pair of headphones to listen to Atmos mastered music.

Sonos speakers and soundbars are incredibly popular, and with their new spatial speakers, it's an even bigger issue with Spotify nowadays :colbert:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 29, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Big TVs seem insane because they become such a focal point in your living space, but when you think about how close you sit in front of a monitor or how big a move theater's screen is and how much of your peripheral vision they fill up, it kinda makes sense that they'd recommend 65"+ TVs.

Pricing-wise — 65" is the sweet spot nowadays as well - anything larger and you're paying a premium, and anything smaller only saves you a few hundreds dollars, which isn't much over the lifespan of the TV. Even this is changing, though - the 77" OLEDs have gotten down to $1600 at Costco recently.

How many people look back at a TV purchase and think, "I should have gotten a smaller TV"?

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 29, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I didn't realize people used Chromecasts still. What's the advantage of that over just normal smartTVs?

Smart TV hardware is often bottom tier and hard to develop for since so many TVs have so many different processors, chipsets, etc.

This is fine for most users, but when you start utilizing apps like Plex or care about passing through Dolby Vision or Atmos audio or whatever, the solution to the problem is often, "Buy a ~$50 streaming stick that will fix all the issues". It's also nice that the streaming sticks are often way snappier than most SmartTVs interfaces.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

qbert posted:

I can very easily stream all the videos on my PC to my tv via the VLC app on my Nvidia Shield TV Pro. Can I do the same easily using the Apple TV somehow? Also does Apple TV have a SmartTube equivalent (YouTube but stripped of all ads and auto-skips in-video sponsor segments)?

Yeahhh... Apple's walled garden makes sideloading ad-free YouTube pretty difficult, which is a dealbreaker for many people over on Android land. Most Smart TV's come with Google TV installed on them, so Youtube through that is always an option for most. The default Youtube app's startup chime when the app opens on Google TV is super annoying, though.

VLC has an Apple TV app, too. You could also use something with a fancier UI like Infuse to mount a networked samba share or whatever. I personally use Plex & Jellyfin, but I keep a media server running on my network 24/7 to serve my media through those apps to my friends and famly.

Apple TV definitely has the cleanest UI, though. Roku/Amazon/Google TV feels like they're bombarding me with ads all over the OS. tvOS is super snappy, often times I don't even have to jump into an app to continue where I left off - the next episode is usually at the top under Continue Watching. The aerial drone screensavers are beautiful, too.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 28, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You can fix that problem with the Switch 2 dropping in the next year or so.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Wildtortilla posted:

My other gripe (minor) is that it doesn’t turn on to the last input used. I do my streaming thru Roku and play my Switch, inputs 1 and 2 respectively. When it turns in it goes to what I’ve been calling the google TV operating system.

It’s all minor and I’m not unhappy with this purchase. It’s just different than what I was used to. Seems like I’m leaning into becoming older and increasingly set in my ways.

If you use the Roku remote to turn the tv on, it may switch inputs to the Roku. Same with using a Switch controller to turn it on.

You may also want to ditch the Roku entirely and just download your apps on the TV’s Google TV OS, but your Roku may be faster and more responsive.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Do we have any statistics on how often specific TV brands go bad? I swear it seems like everybody I know with a Vizio (is Hisense the new Vizio?) that eventually goes bad.

Is it because those brands tend to get lower quality/binned panels, vs Sony/LG/Samsung, who get first priority? Or do their engineers just not know what they're doing? Or are the companies just cutting corners and using cheap components?

Or is it just confirmation bias?

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 14, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Not to say this isn't happening, but I gotta say I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't have Apple TV+ in my main row, and I have never, ever seen an ad for Apple TV+ shows. I have certainly never gotten a banner or push notification of any kind, which is more than I can say for the Sony, LG, and TCL (ugh) TVs I've had occasion to connect to the Internet briefly

It’s because new Apple TV’s home button on the remote defaults to taking you the TV app instead of the Home Screen with rows of apps. This can be changed in the settings.

You should keep the TV app at the top so you can easily continue watching content across all your apps that don’t support top row continuing of content like Netflix.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

qbert posted:

AppleTV if you’re fine with Apple’s ecosystem. Shield if you want to install some neat Android apps (like me who uses SmartTube religiously).

Recently signed up for Youtube Premium family in the Ukraine using a VPN for $4 a month and happy we don't have to deal with 3rd party apks and ad blocking extensions anymore. I'm sure Google will cut it off eventually but I'm enjoying it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

That was my next question, if AppleTV had a SmartTube or similar

No sideloading allowed, but most TVs come with Android TV built in so you can install it there, or sign up for YouTube Premium Family for $4 a month in the Ukraine with a VPN.

I'm shocked Google hasn't gone after the third party apps yet. They've started blocking people who use certain ad-blocker extensions recently.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

qbert posted:

The Ukraine trick is nice, but that's still an extra $48 a year I don't have to pay just by using SmartTube. ST also skips in-video sponsor segments, which is great for me since I watch a lot of tech channels, and they're full of those.

I'd rather not look at Fire TV/Roku/Android TV's bad UIs filled with ads and sponsored content, but that's just me.

It's only $12 a year per person in our family...

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Show me all the ads, I don't care. I just click on Plex anyways.

Nothing like spending $150+ on a Shield TV plastered with ads every you use it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

qbert posted:

Edit: Took a screenshot on my phone of my home screen for Shield TV Pro. I'm totally fine with everything on this screen.

The other sections at the top are all full of ads…

BonoMan posted:

The Roku interface is very minimal and well performing and basically has one ad (generally for content I'm somewhat interested in) on the home screen and that is it.

It's not some popup ridden hellscape. I don't know why goons insist on dying on these stupidly exaggerated hills.

An ad being displayed directly on your Home Screen among your apps is pretty annoying to me, especially if I paid for the hardware. They also have screensaver ads, but those can be disabled if you monkey around in the settings.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Game mode turns all the motion processing off because it introduces small amounts of input lag into games.

TV manufacturers can pick and choose some of the HDMI 2.1 spec, and cheaper TVs support eARC but not the rest of it.

I recommend messing with the various motion settings and deciding for yourself what you prefer, but I’m one of those weirdos who thinks cinema accurate 24 fps is jittery and ugly, so I let my Sony TV do some of the motion processing stuff. Most TVs let you fine tune all that stuff so there’s definitely a happy medium between jittery 24fps and soap opera effect.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 19, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sony, and every other TV manufacturer other than LG, are using a MediaTek chipset that still doesn’t have 4x HDMI 2.1 ports for whatever reason. It’s pretty annoying, but I’m sure LG is glad their TVs have a niche with gamers.

I’m sure there are hdmi 2.1 switches by this point?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

incogneato posted:

I take it from this that the same limitation is true for Hisense and TCL? Looking for the best general use 75" TV around $1500 or less seems to mostly bring up Hisense, TCL, and Sony. I guess I see the LG B3, but I'd have to figure out the differences there.

There's a good chance you're right and 2x 2.1 would be enough for us. Nowadays I don't have much time for gaming. But on the other hand I'd like to future proof our purchase at least a little. Seems like soundbar + console + streaming device already maxes out the 2.1 slots?

You don’t really need a hdmi 2.1 port for streaming devices - consoles need it for 2.1 features like VRR/ALLM and Soundbars use 2.1 for other similar audio-related features.

The LG B3 only has 2x hdmi 2.1 ports, so it’s a wash in that regard.

qirex posted:

Lukewarm take: if you can afford a good tv and a new console you can do better than a soundbar.

The Denon AVR S760H receiver is $350 at Costco until Christmas. Probably the best deal on a receiver with hdmi 2.1 support.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 19, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

We love our Sonos Arc, but already had 2x Sonos One's to use as rears and limited space in our entertainment center. Our couch is only 10' away from the TV, so it's good enough for our space.

We also went this route a couple years ago when HDMI 2.1 receivers were less prevalent, prone to issues (Yamaha), and more expensive.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Are there any reasonably priced non-receiver amp + bookshelf setups that can do Atmos with upward firing speakers built into the bookshelves or something?

The Sonos Arc's upward firing Atmos speakers are impressive in our space.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’m envious of anybody with partners who signs off on any tv above 65”.

I couldn’t imagine wanting anything other than a 77” OLED, though - a friend of mine has one and it definitely seems “big enough” to me.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

There are also features like VRR, which is nice for gaming and more common with 120hz displays. Doesn’t really matter if the content won’t go above 60fps.

I’m not saying you should buy a tv for this feature alone, but it may be worth considering when you decide on a specific model.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Those are high bandwidth cables, of course they’re going to need to be thick and annoying.

Cable Matters, Bluerigger, Anker, Monoprice, all make high quality HDMI 2.1 cables.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Have you guys tried turning on Match dynamic range to see if it fixes it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's a seemingly nonsensical answer because Match Range should just toggle to HDR and preclude having anything to do with the range it's in in the menus. This is a crazy bad bug. Thanks very much!

But did you actually try it?