Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I know nothing about TVs and I'm looking for something in the $<500 range for my smallish apartment living room (11'7" x 12'6").

Rtings recommends a TCL 55S405, with 49S305 as a cheaper, smaller, non-4K option. Should I care about 4K? How big of a difference is that extra 5" in a room this size?

You can get the new 55" TCL 5-series for under $500, is 4K/HDR and highly recommended at its price point. It's the 2018 refresh to the S405 you mentioned, and it just came out like a week ago. It appears to be $450 currently at Best Buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

r0ck0 posted:

What's the best 4k TV I can get at bestbuy for under $2k? I will be using it with an nvidia shield if that matters. TIA.

Well the biggest thing you forgot to include was screen size. Also do you want LCD or OLED?

You could get a 55-inch LG C7 for right around $2k (not including tax). That's pretty much top of the line OLED.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

qirex posted:

HDMI 2.1 is way behind schedule, the final spec compliance tests haven't even been published yet. eARC and VRR are creeping in on some things but it'll probably be at least 2 years before a decent number of TVs, receivers, etc. support full 2.1 spec.

What does 2.1 even offer that would be useful currently? I know it can support 8k/10k resolution, but that's meaningless when it's built into a 4k tv. Same with super high frame-rates. Is there any point to wanting it on your TV if your TV can't actually do any of the neat things it supports?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

me your dad posted:

I'm looking at a new 55" TV for our living room. I want to spend less than $700 and the TCL 6 Series looks pretty good. Is this model from Best Buy the one to get? It seems there are various differences in model info and I'm not sure what I should get.

For example, on Reddit in a 6 Series thread someone said to someone else:

What model is the Best Buy model? Is it good? This poo poo is very confusing.

We sit about 10' away from the TV. We use our TV for Netflix and a PS4. I'm not really knowledgeable about TVs and I'm probably pretty easily satisfied. But if I'm spending this kind of money I want to make sure I don't make any mistakes.

The model you linked is the one you want. 'S4' models are last year's lower tier option, and 'P6' models are last year's version of the one you linked. 'R6' is what you want.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Listerine posted:

Haven't bought a TV in over 6 years and things have definitely changed. I'm looking to get one for my folks to put in a vacation home, I'm thinking 50 inches, 55 max. They don't need a lot of bells and whistles, and would probably want to keep the budget under $1k, but I'd like to get the best tech in it as possible as me and my siblings will end up using it as well, and I'm willing to put in some of my own cash, let's say $1.5-2k max budget.

Will be using with cable/streaming from internet/computer sources, I might put a PS4 there too, but probably won't need more than 3 HDMI jacks.

Any recommendations on where to start- brands to look at/or avoid at all costs?

The most common recommendations for 55" based on price range:
Budget (LED) - TCL 6-series $650
Mid (LED) - Sony X900F $1300 (last year's 900E is also good $1000)
High (OLED) - LG B8 $2000 (or you could get last year's B7 for $1500)

Other brands worth considering are Vizio and Samsung.

qbert fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 24, 2018

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Green Gloves posted:

I have an option to buy an LG 55OLEDb7a from a local shop for $925 or the TCL 55r615 for $600 from Best Buy. Should I spring the extra $300 for the oled? I cant really test the TCL because Best Buy doesnt calibrate them.

If that deal is legit then definitely get the OLED. The difference between those two is WAY bigger than $300.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks goons. Is the input lag difference worth worrying about between 21 v 15 ms? Again, asking regarding competitive multiplayer content, CoD, Battlefield/front etc.

Both those numbers will be indistinguishable to you. I basically don't trust anyone that claims they can tell the difference between 15ms and 21ms latency.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

nielsm posted:

Do OLED displays smaller than 55" seriously not exist at all?

Does the iPhone X count?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Why would anyone buy those Sony's when the LG B7 OLEDs are about the same price?

I'm guessing Canadian prices. It's a $900 difference between the two models at 65" on Amazon.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Actually, that's the 2017 model. I'd recommend spending the extra $50 for the 2018 model, which has Dolby Vision and like 24 more local dimming zones.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204548.p?skuId=6204548

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

FistEnergy posted:

I specifically chose to buy the 2017 model because the new one has idiotic super wide feet that don't fit on a lot of tv stands

If you're wall mounting, yeah go hog wild with the new one. The picture is only a fraction better but the exterior looks nicer

That's totally fine, but if you're going to recommend a tv to someone you should probably specify why you're recommending an older model that's around the same price, as that issue might not matter to someone who just wants the best picture quality available vs price.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Something Offal posted:

Haha but I want the BEST, you must understand my good Orvin.

If you really want the best, then it's not the TCL. I mean, it's pretty good bang for your buck, but a good OLED will retain a better resale value, though you'll be paying significantly more for it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

American McGay posted:

I'm not really up on the latest OLED specs but I'd assume that a C7 would be considered the best value at the moment.

I think the B7 is even cheaper and basically the same, so I'd give that best value personally.

bull3964 posted:

There are enough longevity improvements on the 8 series that I wouldn't consider a 7 series at this point unless it was severely discounted.

Really? The only changes I read about in the 8 series were black frame insertion and Google Assistant integration, neither of which would be enough to get me to pay the upgrade difference.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Something Offal posted:

Argh a $2500-3000 step up. Oh well. I'll stick with the budget TCL.

The 55" B7 is currently $1700 on Amazon when I just checked. That's more like a $1100 step up, not $2500-3000.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Something Offal posted:

Whoops I was looking at https://www.amazon.com/LG-OLED65C8PUA-65-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B079V3J3Y9/ref=dp_ob_title_ce , the poster above said C7. I wish I didn't hate spending on frivolous goodies.

Yeah, that's the C8, and at 65". One thing about shopping for TVs, it's very easy to accidentally look at the wrong model/size from what you were intending and get confused on prices.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

Do they sell the current, good LG OLED models at Costco yet? They have different numbers for everything and I can’t tell if it’s still 2017 stock or if it’s the new models.

Does it say B7/C7 (2017) or B8/C8 (2018) on the box? That's all you really need to know.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

Costco LG 70" 4K @ $999.99

Thread thoughts on this TV? I would be upgrading from a 42" 1080P LG that's served me well since 2006. I have a Denon 4K capable receiver and sub/speakers so I don't care about smartTV or speakers, just the screen/HDMI tech.

Is this something I need to worry about?

I was replying to a question about OLED LG models at Costco. Since you linked to an LCD, my response wouldn't apply to you.

With that said, LG is known mainly for the quality of their OLEDs. I have no idea what their LCDs are like, although $1k seems CRAZY cheap for a 70", which immediately makes me suspicious of the quality of that TV. I'd do more research on that specific model before pulling the trigger, personally.

Edit: So I looked into why certain LG models are selling for so cheap, and it turns out the reason is because while the tvs are technically 4K pixel-count-wise, they actually use RGBW panels, which are considered by many to be "fake 4K" and it's really 2.8K native full color resolution.

Here's an article on what RGBW is.

If you really want to make the jump to 4K I'd consider something else.

qbert fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 24, 2018

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Highbrow Slick posted:

How much am I going to regret purchasing the tcl 55s405 vs a 6 series? I'm not very particular when it comes to picture quality, I mostly want something I can watch sports and the occasional movie with, and saving a couple hundred while furnishing a new home will go a long ways towards other purchases.

TCL 55S405 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTGM5I9/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_.rFJBbMT48TKN

The 4-series was solid for its price last year, but if I were you I’d get the 5-series, which is the 2018 line of the same model, and I’m guessing can’t be more than $50 more expensive?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

FBS posted:

I was set to pick up a TCL 55R615 today but then I did some additional research into the vertical banding problem and that scared me off. Even on the display unit at Best Buy it was really obvious after 30 seconds of the in-store demo footage, and I can tell it would drive me nuts. Evidently some panels are better than others but I'm really not interested in playing TV lottery.

So now I'm thinking of jumping back up past the $900 price point (X800E, NU8000) all the way to the 55" Sony X900F :v:. I'm gonna sleep on it but it looks like it does everything I want without any deal-breaking flaws. It's more than I wanted to spend but still within my budget.

Of course at that price point I'm also well into the 65" entry-level range. At ~8 feet from the screen the money should go towards better image quality rather than more real estate, right?

EDIT: Looks like the X930E is available at a few local Best Buys. It's $100 cheaper and RTings seems to rate them about the same, is there a good reason to splurge on the newer model?

TCL is the best bang for your buck IF you're willing to play the panel lottery. If not, getting one of the Sonys you mentioned is probably the way to go, if you can afford it.

the X930E is rated quite highly, although it is edge-lit I believe, if that matters to you. People generally regard edge lighting tvs inferior to FALD, although I think the 930 uses some special Sony algorithm that makes it end up looking better than say the X900E? Up to you.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

FBS posted:

As it happens, I brought the X930E home on Monday. Best Buy didn't have one on display and the sales kid thought it was discontinued and was shocked to find one in the back. He spoke quote highly of it while ringing me up, even compared to the X900F.

I'm very happy with it so far, it looks fantastic, though I'm still figuring out the inputs and picture settings and how to get UHD content.

I went in as a smart-TV agnostic but Android TV was kind of a hilarious disappointment. Slow and unintuitive and it doesn't have a native NHL app which is the first thing I searched for. I didn't know what to expect, but I thought it would be much slicker than this.

e: it's also really god damned heavy, I'm glad I didn't decide to wall mount this thing

Yeah, AndroidTV is kind of a pain to deal with and feels sluggish. You can improve the performance noticeably by stopping a lot of useless background processes, there's guides/videos online on what's safe to shut off.

If you want UHD content, your best bet is like Amazon Prime/Netflix 4k tier/UHD player/one of the 4K game consoles.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Alligator Tower posted:

I did have a question about sunlight:

Where it is now is diagonal from a skylight in my sloped roof, so in the mornings there's a beam of sunlight that travels across the TV. It's worse in the summer, but I don't think any one section of the TV is lit up for more than 30 minutes a day. Should I be worried about this damaging the TV? Most of the information I could find googling was about outside TVs.

Probably depends on how hot the tv gets from the sunlight hitting it. Heat from prolonged sunlight can damage most things over time.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Gray Matter posted:

Went to a different BB location today for another look. The TCL was the only model that was powered off out of dozens of displays on the wall - hmmmmmmmm. After I turned it on it had a much better display demo vid running than the one at the other store. It appeared to be the manufacturer-supplied one, and I didn't notice any of the offputting issues from the demo I saw last night. At the points where the video was almost entirely white, I couldn't see any hint of banding or text artifacting. It actually looked really friggin good.

Told them I was ready to purchase and they steered me hard away from it, really trying to push the Sony X900F on me. It's unmistakably a nicer display but it's 236% the price of the TCL and defintely not 236% of the image quality. Thought about it for a brief while and ended up just leaving. Gonna go ahead and grab that TCL off the website instead. Thanks for sense checking me, goons.

Your experience is basically what people are talking about when they refer to the "TCL lottery". If you end up with a good display, you've just snagged a great deal. If you get a bad one, you're gonna have to play the return/replace game a bit. I would've personally just bought the good one you saw in-store, as at least you know exactly what you're getting.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Netflix streams some of its newer content in 4k for what it's worth.

Almost all of Netflix's shows are shot and can stream in 4k.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

Whats currently the best TV for gaming for no more than $800?

At least 55” but I really want 60-65” since my current tv is 55”.

It would be the new TCL 6-Series for the 55". You basically can't get a good 65" tv for $800 or under.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

That ones current $600 at best buy. The 65” is $970. I could spring for that. But then im so close to an OLED TV.

Not really. I don't know which OLEDs you're looking at, but even last year's LG B7 is $1600 for the 55".

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

I got the TCL Series 6 55”. But it looks like HDR wont work on the xbox one x, because this TV uses Dolby HDR instead of the standard HDR10 format the Xbox uses. That sucks. HDR on my games was a major reason for upgrading. I might have to exchange it. The TV and Xbox are both updated.

Yeah, TV’s are a little more complicated these days. I need to go to TV college before making a good purchase.

When I bought a 720p, HDTV’s came out soon after. I bought an HDTV, 4k TV’s came soon after. Now I buy this TV and i’m not getting HDR on my games. Hopefully I wont run into the BB employee who advised me against this set when I exchange this so I dont look like a stupid jerk.

I think you’re doing something wrong. No way the 6-series doesn’t support HDR10.

Edit: I don’t have a TCL but a quick Google search shows you have to go into your tv settings and set HDMI output from 1.0 to 2.0 to enable HDR. Maybe look into that?

qbert fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 3, 2018

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I have a ps4 pro and a brand new Nvidia Shield TV. What is the easiest way to determine if I am getting HDR and 4k from the cable I am using?

Usually there's a setting on your TV remote to display the resolution and HDR status of whatever source you're watching. My Sony X900F does, but YMMV.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I don't see that anywhere but my ps4 pro says this:

I changed every setting I could find and this is what it always says. It's a bit confusing. Does this mean HDR isn't working from what this screen says?

I think for LG you have to enable HDR as a setting from the tv. I just googled this article, did you do this for your tv already?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2017/11/30/quick-tip-how-to-enable-hdr-on-an-lg-tv/#6bae9cbf6786

I would try plugging your PS4 Pro directly into your tv with the HDMI cable (instead of through the switch) just to see if that page you screenshotted changes.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

In a hundred years I would not have guessed that. Thank you so much. I am guessing this means it's good to go?

Yep, looks good. Next thing to do is to put on something that you know is outputting HDR and see if you can see an image difference with it turned on/off. Out of curiousity, was it the setting on the LG you needed to enable, or plugging the HDMI directly into the TV?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Got a Netflix or Amazon Prime account you can test with an inbuilt app?

Keep in mind you actually need to subscribe to the 4K tier of Netflix. My co-worker complained to me last week that the 4K on his Netflix looked awful compared to Amazon's and had his mind blown when I suggested he check to see if his account actually gets 4K.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

You're the best. I wasn't getting that so I dug a little deeper. Not only do you need to have HDR enabled on the ps4 but it has to be enabled in the game itself's menu. I finally got hdr working. Thank you all!

Yes, every single game that supports HDR on the PS4 has to be enabled in the game itself (at least in my experience). And not every game supports HDR.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Not a Children posted:

I'm giving serious consideration to the TCL 55". How precarious is the panel lottery? If may have to try 5 different units before I get an acceptable one (and hey, I'm not really picky but I gotta see what's on the screen), I'll just eat the extra cost to get a brand with tighter tolerances.

It's hard to tell, honestly. Obviously people who get burned by stuff like that are more likely to vent about it online. It also depends on how sensitive you are to minor panel issues.

I don't see any harm in picking it up and mentally limiting yourself to 'x' potential returns before going with something else.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Looking to replace my old 40" 720p Samsung Plasma with something newer. Was thinking about getting this Samsung 55" QLED TV from CostCo this week for $1,000. Looks to only be about $100 off

https://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-Class-(54.6%22-Diag.)-4K-UHD-QLED-LCD-TV.product.100420510.html

Rtings says it's comparable to this model: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q6fn-q6f-q6-2018

I have an 55" OLED in my basement, so very dark with no windows. Viewing distance is straight on. Absolutely love it, but don't love the price to replace a second TV.... the QLED would be about $650 less. So it's like, I have a nice setup with the OLED, I don't feel like I need TWO OLEDs in my home, but I still want something nice.

So this is going in a bright room that always has lamps on or a big window in front of the TV with reflections, and I heard that this TV probably does better with those than an OLED would. I also have a couch at an angle, but I don't really watch TV from there ever, so the viewing angle thing isn't a huge concern.

Any concerns about this model over something very similar? Or have I spoiled myself with OLED and will be disappointed? Also, should I be concerned that the OLED doesn't do Dolby Vision? I am not really up to speed on who is winning the Dolby Vision vs HDR10 war right now

If you're going to spend $1k on a 55", get the Sony X900F instead. It's a better tv.

Edit: Although I guess the Q6FN is pretty close, according to rtings. 8.3 vs an 8.0.

qbert fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 20, 2018

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Personally I find it extremely difficult to notice any lag differences at ~40ms and below. Either that or I'm getting old.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Rock My Socks! posted:

Any chance of getting a 65” Samsung Q6F for $1300 this year still? They were like $1297 everywhere a few weeks ago but are back up to $1600+ everywhere now.

There's a chance of more discounts around Christmas time, is my guess.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

EC posted:

I'm really digging the C8 and I even love the remote, but God I wish I could disable the magic mouse bullshit. I was surprised that it was able to control the shield tv so that's a bonus. I just hate that distracting cursor.

I'm pretty sure you can. Download the manual from Here and check out Page 4. Says something like if you press up, down, left, right while the remote is in use, it disables the mouse.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

I bought a 55in Sony x900F a few weeks back to use with my PS4 and I'm honestly not super happy with it. Turning on HDR just seems to wash everything out, and I can't find any settings or adjustments online that really makes my games stand out compared to the older 1080p computer monitor I was using before. Any recommendations? I was thinking of returning the set to Amazon and trying out a Samsung TV -- any advice?

I know having a regular PS4 isn't going to really take advantage of the 4k capability but I was at least hoping HDR would look well.

HDR on the Sony tvs (X900E and X900F) looks great. The thing is that you can't just "turn on" HDR on your PS4 and expect it to work for every game. Every single game developer has to implement HDR on their game manually. So some games will have HDR, and some games won't. Additionally, the quality of the HDR in each game depends on how well it was implemented by that game's developer (for example the big controversy over RDR2 having terrible fake poo poo HDR versus, like, AC Odyssey having amazing HDR).

Even if the HDR is implemented well on a game, you will often have to go inside the settings/options menu in that game and mess with the sliders they provide to get the look right.

Basically it's still a hassle to get working on games, but that has nothing to do with how well your TV does it. Also you should go into the PS4 settings and make sure it's even running.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

SourKraut posted:

If my general use case is watching sports and sci-fi shows, playing Xbox One X and PS4 games, and looking forward to HDR movies in my mancave office, is the Sony X900F enough of an upgrade over the TCL 6 series to be worth it?

I was looking at the 49” X900F and while a 49” would fit a little bit better than a 55”, I could make either size work so the possibility of getting the 55” TCL at almost $400 less seems like a great option, though I saw the X900F is a native 120 hz panel while the TCL is 60 Hz (not sure it really matters for my use case?)

For revenge, it’s be replacing an old 40” Sony KDL-40WL135 has started to make a buzzing sound that, from me testing, doesn’t appear to be a ground loop issue. The screen also may be starting to yellow some.

The X900F is generally considered the mid-range recommended option between the TCL and the LG OLED. I have one and I love it. It is an improvement over the TCL (mainly in the motion processing department), but I would say TCL is the best bang for your buck, whereas the Sony is for people who don't mind spending a bit more for the motion stuff and a lower likelihood of getting a bad panel.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

GreenNight posted:

And 4k disks above all else.

Even then you still have the problem where a lot of movies are fake 4K and the only benefit you're getting really is HDR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Not fully true.

2k DI is higher resolution than 1920x1080 frame on a blu-ray

1.33:1 (4:3)  /  2048x1536
1.66:1 (5:3)  /  2048x1229
1.77:1 (16:9)  /  2048x1152
1.85:1  /  2048x1107
2:1  /  2048x1024
2.35:1  /  2048x871

So, a 2k master has to be downscaled to present on 1080p. You lose 54 lines of vertical resolution at 2.35:1, 72 lines at 16:9. In all cases you lose 128 lines of horizontal resolution.

Not huge amounts to be sure, but there is more detail to be had even with a 2k master. WCG and HDR are the more compelling pieces though.

Whoa, I didn't know that. I wonder why tv manufacturers decided on 1080p tvs and not 1152p tvs.