Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Do you think this is on par with Netrunner? I haven't seen any real local players but it looks interesting, and my gf is more likely to play a Star Wars game than a cyberpunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Carteret and Corbeau, I'm familiar with Netrunner (go look in the Netrunner thread ;)). I was simply asking because while my girlfriend is interested in CCG/LCGs, she's been soured on MtG's scene to the point where it isn't worth the money and Netrunner doesn't appeal to her thematically. She wants to play something (that isn't MtG's money hole) and she's enough of a Star Wars fan that I think she'd be interested enough to play assuming it's a game worth buying into.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Carteret posted:

Netrunner is too much for my old man. He thinks the Star Wars theme is fun, and the game doesn't require deck building to be fun. The more I think about it, the more I'm most likely going to buy another core set and the force packs because gently caress me I can't hold on to my money when it comes to cardboard :negative:

If your girlfriend would play a Star Wars game, it is definitely worth picking it up :)

Look at the bright side, you could be playing the real cardboard crack (MtG). $50 + 6x$10 (assuming online purchases) is barely a box of mtg.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Carteret posted:

Touche. I used to play MtG. Now I spend 100+ a month on boardgames :(

Yes, CoolStuffInc free shipping is so tasty.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

alg posted:

Good lord Mara Jade is disgusting. Wow.

Are Balance of the Force cards going to be tournament legal at all (the non xv1 decks) or is it exclusively a multiplayer non-tourney set?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

jivjov posted:

Is it worth trying to build a S&V or S&S deck when I only have one Edge of Darkness box? I'm going to get a second as soon as I am able, but I'm playing a couple rounds tomorrow at my local store, and want to know if I should even bother trying to build something new and exciting yet.

EDIT: Just discovered the Imperial Blockade pod. That's going straight into my Navy deck for sure. :D

Wait you need 2 Edge of Darkness boxes for playsets?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

Yes, because there are like 22 different objective sets in it

Okay. Actually that makes my CoolStuffInc order easier.

Now if only I had release dates for the start of the A:NR Spin Cycle and The Battle of Hoth, to see exactly how long the shipment will retained due to pre-orders.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

Netrunner was disappointing because the winner kept ending up being the guy who drew all his money cards first.

Huh?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Any idea when we should expect The Battle of Hoth pack?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Thank ya kindly.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
On Attack Pattern Delta, cam you use the ability, find a eligible vehicle, and not put it into play? For example, being a second copy of a unique or to surprise your opponent on their turn?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

No, there's no kind of optional effect. If the vehicle can be put into play, you have to put it into play.

Okay, so there's no MtG-esque Fail To Find when looking at hidden information? Got it, thank ya kindly!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I believed you, but big thanks for pulling up the ruling.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I hope IG-88 has light side and dark side versions. He's such a lovable scamp.

With IG-88 and Kyle Katarn, that begs the question of how much does FFG'S license cover? Can we expect Admiral Thrawn, Darth Revan, Lusankya, etc, etc, etc?

... I've never even read the books, simply laughed at the wookiepedia entries. Upside down super star destroyer buried on coruscant, yeah sure whatever.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Since I know that box will have some tournament legal cards, is there anything in the card face to let us see which ones are not tourney legal? Is it the "D" in front of the objective set?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Any of you guys regional winners? I'm trying to find some decent scans of the alternate art affiliation cards but I'm having a hard time finding them. I'd like to use them as a template to make foil cards, if any of you have them and don't mind scanning them and sending them to me; you'd be awesome.

If you get a good scan please pass my way. I'm experimenting with printable foil paper for Netrunner IDs and would love to try these as well.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Yeah, that coin is pretty sweet.

Would you mind scanning those cards for PJOmega and myself?

If you don't have a decent scanner Staples (or any office supply store with a print area) will do a bangup job for a couple of dollars. I'd gladly toss you the cost via paypal to compensate.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Was reading the rulebook to check a ruling that was made at a recent tourney (in my favor, against my wishes, as weird as that sounds).

Found this gem that has been completely overlooked in my group.

quote:

Using Shields
A player may discard a card’s shield token to prevent one damage or one focus token that would be placed on the shielded card by an attack or an enemy effect (i.e. it cannot prevent damage and focus tokens placed by its controller’s costs or effects).

Emphasis mine.

I wanted to point it out in case anyone has missed that shield tokens can prevent damage or focus tokens, not only damage. We certainly have been missing on the latter.

Also, I'll double check the rules concern here for you guys.

Player A is attacking with a 1 hp unit. Player B assigns Darth Vader to defend, who is committed to the force. During the edge battle, player B plays Heat of Battle, killing player A's only attacking unit. Is Darth Vader still considered to be participating, therefore having to strike and take 2x focus tokens?

I said yes, my opponent said no, judge was called, judge ruled the combat wasn't happening anymore so Vader didn't have to strike. My opponent had a ready unit with tactics, and had Vader been forced to strike (getting 2x focus tokens), then my opponent could have attacked with the other unit, locking down my Vader for a turn.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So, dead game walking here.

I'm taking the following list to local tournament, debating on the fifth (and maybe fourth) pod. Anyone want to opine?

Questionable Contacts x2
Raise the Stakes x2
Asteroid Sanctuary x2 (Questionable)
Across the Anoat Sector x2

Last Defense of Hoth
Pros:
-Last Defense of Hoth means that I'm very likely to win Edge Battles when need be
-Renegade X-Squadron clears the way for Blockade Runners and Sleuth Scouts (Swindle #5-6)
-Stinging Insult allows a non-sneak to draw off a sneak defender (more Swindles)
-Don't Get Cocky means if a Sleuth Scout gets through it takes an objective with only one Across the Anoat or Raise the Stakes.

Cons:
-1 Resource
-Col Serra is good but seems clunky
-Renegade Pilot is garbage

Wookie Life Debt
Pros:
-Chewbacca is a house, and 3 resource for a double blast icon is the best cost to blast icon ratio in S&S.
-Let the Wookie Win is direct damage in a deck that sorely lacks it with the exception of Han
-Protect Character keeps units like Han around longer

Cons:
-1 Resource, pod really only sings with its objective out.
-The rest of the pod is light on blast damage and on S&S units.

Trust Me
Pros:
-2 Resource Objective with a usable ability
-Lando can clear off a blocker, requiring DS to double block all sneaks. Then you can simply pull the sneak out and attack another objective.
-Saboteur can hit Sith Holocron and all the 1-1 and 2-2 resource enhancements, amongst other things.
-1-1 resource enhancement
-Sabotage can seriously hurt aggro Imperial Navy decks.

Cons:
-Saboteur is junk for actually winning.
-Sabotage is highly likely to be a dead card.

The Defense of Cloud City
-2 Resource objective
-Cloud City Wing Guards, meet Sleuth Scout.
-Security Control Center gives my units a bit more survivability. I guess.

Cons:
-Lobot will really only see use as a resource/force taker.
-Cloud City Wing Guards are bloody expensive
-Protection??

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Corn Scientist posted:

So if I'm looking to get into this game and spend about $100 what would be the best way to do it? Two core sets and two edge of darkness? Would getting the force packs be better than the two edge of darkness?

You could try talking with this guy. http://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLCG/comments/1qaqt6/im_looking_to_quit_anyone_knowing_someone_to_join/

If he sold the promo stuff seperately you could talk him down to $100 doubtlessly.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Carteret posted:

I emailed they guy in regards to the promos only... The whole lot got sold locally about an hour ago. :(

Sorry to hear it.

I don't know how I feel about promos in SWLCG due to the deck construction nature. If an opponent plays force choke, I can check the set # and see if he's running Palp or Vader (likely both but still). At least for the pod iconics it's pretty obvious if they play an arrabeckistan Luke/Boba/Squadron which pod they're from.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Carteret posted:

I just wanted copies of the Regional IDs since there wasn't a SW Regional closer than 8 hours away :v:

Oh totally understand, they are nice to look at. Is no one selling them for a reasonable price online? I know the force coins go for stupid money.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Does anyone have an active local scene?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

alansmithee posted:

Yeah the regional cards aren't acrylic, they're 2 sided. I actually had a couple of sets and 2 playmats, but I sold one of the playmats. Also tempted to sell my coin, didn't know they were going that high...

And I hope the multiplayer set does boost interest in the game, although I'm not particularly interested in it at all. I really think the core mechanics are solid, but for whatever reason it just hasn't gotten the traction I'd expect from the license.

So many people see it played at my local store and blow it off either because they got burned on the Decipher CCG or because it isn't the Decipher CCG. Gotta love gamers and their insane vendettas and devotions.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Red Robin Hood posted:

I'm selling a super sweet bundle here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3589170

I'd like to sell it to a goon that will put good use to it!

Think you posted this in the wrong thread.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

alg posted:

Picked up Balance of the Force. The bog standard Interceptor for multiplayer has Shielding :spergin:

Mechanically it makes sense. Consider it more of an 'evasion' token to account for their speed and ability to avoid getting locked down.

Thematically, yes it makes no sense but it is for 3v1 play.

Faux Edit: Which gives no explanation for shielding other units/objectives.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

jivjov posted:

I'm really looking forward to this force pack cycle. I'm liking the look of tying Force Commitment into more aspects of the game; as it stands, that mechanic feels a bit divorced from the rest of the game for me.

It's really hard for non-Jedi LS to take the force with any sort of consistency. It's really weird how random unique imperial goons can have 3 pips. Especially since their claims to fame are oft-times little more than "took an unnecessary shortcut, lost some ATATs to a river, then got my walker opened like a tauntaun and was blown up."

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

jivjov posted:

I've recently been shown the light when it comes to protecting my games, and I really want to start sleeving my LCG collection That said, I'm worried about storage options. I currently have my cards in Ultra Pro binder pages, so when I want to deckbuild I can see all 6 cards per pod at a glance. If I sleeve everything, I think my only option is going to be a card box or two, and that makes flipping through pods problematic. Any suggestions?

I'd limit sleeving to only decks. I was sleeving all my SWLCG and ANRLCG cards and not only is it expensive, it doubles the storage size (thickness), and even Ultra-Pro Mattes vary in size and opacity across print runs.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I can't help but feel that the game would be better if the majority of pods were 1-of and the 2-ofs were the abnormals. Then data packs could have more than 1 pod per faction. The game is all but dead in my area and a large complaint has been the general lack of card options per period.

Also the whole 'your ID is your splash faction' bit.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So, anyone enjoying the new pods in BotF? I'm impressed with the Imperial and Rebel ones for 1v1, though I imagine Sith would be a powerhouse in 2v2.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

alg posted:

Has anyone been successful with Executor yet? I'm thinking on this:

It slots into the bog standard Sith lists without any difficulty. Executor is a very nice addition but the real MVP of the pod is the Sith Holocron.

Counsel of the Sith x2
The Emperor's Web x2
The Executor Arrives x2
Fall of the Jedi x2

Your last 2 pods are largely meta dependent. My playgroup was very much into playing Jedi Superfriends, so I ran Trandoshan Terror for the 2 resources and Bossk being able to get rid of a hugely buffed Jedi. Not to mention Trandoshan Hunters never being a bad draw. Rebels/Sleuth Smugglers hate The Tattoine Crash because of Jawa spam, since they are often alpha striking every turn. The Ghosts of the Darkside is also hugely effective if only because Force Shockwave is so utterly hosing to swarm decks.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Scouring the Empire (#100) posted:

Objective - 2 Resources - 5 Health - Sith
Coruscant
Sith affiliation only.

Jerec (Unique) posted:

Unit - 4 Cost - 4 Force Bubbles - 3 Health - Sith
Black Icon(s): Unit Damage x1, Objective Damage x1
White Icon(s): Unit Damage x1
Character - Force User - Inquisitor
Elite
Reaction: After this unit is focused to strike, remove a target unit from the Force.

Imperial Inquisitor x2 posted:

Unit - 2 Cost - 1 Force Bubble - 2 Health - Neutral
Black Icon(s): None
White Icon(s): Unit Damage x1
Character - Force Sensitive - Inquisitor
1 Resource
Reaction: After an enemy unit is removed from the Force by a card effect, remove 1 focus token from this unit.

Force Storm posted:

Event - 4 Cost - 2 Force Bubbles - Sith
Force - Control - Alter
Play only if the balance of the Force is with the dark side.
Action: Deal 2 damage to each unit that is not dedicated to the Force.

Echoes of the Force posted:

Fate - 2 Force Bubbles - Priority 4
You may commit a target unit to or remove a target unit from the Force.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Well I guess Sith won't be getting played less anytime soon. Force Storm is a tremendous counter to Hoth Speeder & Sleuth Scout decks.

Shame the rest of the pod is so mediocre.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

alansmithee posted:

You'd still be filling your deck with a lot of mediocre cards if you want 2 Force Storm, and as it is I think Sith run low on slots (since at this point 6+ pods seem pretty much mandatory).

That being said Force Storm is a super-hard counter for some decks. I'm also wondering how that works with stuff like Guardians-I'd think they wouldn't be able to protect since all the damage is done simultaneously but I'm not totally sure how that interaction would work.

Protect let's you put an amount of damage up to lethal, so you can't soak 20 damage onto a 2 health guardian.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Does that have 2x of the "8" costers? I hate the videos so I won't listen with sound.

Possible reasons to not run it are blowouts from the objective flipping. Beyond that yes in a straight smuggler's deck or Rebel control it is insane.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Carteret posted:

Yes. Also, it's a Reaction: not a Forced Reaction: (as pointed out in the video), so you don't have to trigger the board clear if it won't help you.

Then yes, auto 1x if not 2x if packing the Golden Affiliation. Can you Millenium Falcon out the huge?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Amante posted:

I finally was able to pick up a Core Set and check the game out with a friend. Seems pretty cool so far! I have a couple of unanswered rules questions, though:

1> During an objective conflict, are units without icons still forced to focus and strike?
2> Judging by the rules, it seems like committing to the force (and determining who gets control of the balance of it) can be done regardless of ready or exhausted state. Is that correct?

Yes to both questions.

During a conflict, all units in the conflict have To strike. This is true even if the unit striking will have no effect such as would happen if they had no icons, or only unit damage with no target, or objective damage after the objective was destroyed.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Decks basically have 10 card choices. That decks consist of little more than 4-6 'cards' hurts with such a small pool and you end up with a very claustrophobic game. It doesn't help that 1 faction is still very weak (S&V) and another has one relevant tribe (Rebel Speeders).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Yeah after you make that switch thats pretty much what I was looking at running.
2x Luke, 2x Kyle, 2x Obiwan, 2x Crow and 2x Red 5.

Knowledge and Defense won't be legal for my regional next week which is good because I think Scum might be really good with that new set.

It's in stores, why wouldn't it be legal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
But wait, there's more.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm_sec.asp?eidm=245&esem=1&epmi=s

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread