Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I think I'm going to give this a run tonight. I've been wanting a new MMO to dick around in.

I had a few quick questions about the F2P model - I think I understand it, but I'm still a little confused. Please let me know if my understanding is correct:

-Start playing for free, just to see if I hate it or not
-If I enjoy it, do a month of VIP just to get bumped to premium and to permanently expand / remove a few bothersome things
-Buy the triple pack (preferably when it's on sale)

At that point, being a premium member, I'll have access to all the solo questing and content, right? Are there any areas I won't be able to quest in if I buy the triple pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
So this is a pretty "by the numbers" MMO by today's standards? Just with all the good LOTR flavor.

Ya know, target enemy, press skills to make things die on a rotation, talk to dude with big symbol on their head, get 10 bear asses, go to the next dude with the big symbol on their head, type of gameplay? Mostly solo-play, with optional grouping for dungeons, and raiding at the "end-game".

Not saying that's bad or anything. I haven't played that style in a while, wouldn't mind it again for a bit.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Just finished the newbie intro area on my new elf hunter, named Leghoulaz (just kidding...well, not about the elf hunter, but in as Bruman, thanks for the guild invite!)

So far, while it's pretty standard, it is well done. Runs great, no bugs, max settings on my aging PC and still smooth as butter, and I'm finding it enjoyable. I liked the little mini-dungeons I've had to explore so far.

Couple of nub questions:

-Any reasons why I shouldn't use medium armor? I keep getting options use to light from quest rewards.
-I was about to vendor the "trophy" loot, but noticed it said, in bold red letters, "may be used for task turn-ins". What is that, and do I care?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The way the starting area went, it's hard for me to imagine running out of quests and needing to fill with skirmishes (which I don't even know what those really are yet).

I just now went to Bree finally, and I'm well into 16, having done zero quests here. It told me to go there at 13 I believe. I tend to be a "do all the things" type of player, so this should work well for me. I like my solo questing in MMOs like this to be pretty easy, so that works too =P. I found the Epic ones a little tougher as a hunter, as it's much harder to play as I normally would (regain focus, set trap, pull 1-2) - instead the NPCs just charge in head first and aggro everything.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Rarity posted:

And as you're a hunter you can just kill them in 2 seconds before the NPC has a chance to even get hurt.

Sidebar: Traps are the most pointless skill. Why should I need them when everything dies before it reaches me? :smug:

The problem wasn't them reaching me - it's that the NPC rushes in and tanks 3 at once. Then runs to the next group and does the same. And the next group. And the next group. Never taking time to heal back up. so he died, quest over.

I ended up getting another level, upgrading my weapon, and having to charge in ahead of him to keep him from dying. So I had to be high enough to be able to tank.

And as Hello said, I find traps very useful (so far, only 19) for soloing groups and elites.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Oxphocker posted:

There is a steam group that we use to contact people outside of the game...search for thenazgun and you should find it.

Vent it used mostly for when we are doing raids and since we haven't been raiding much recently not much need for it. If people want to start running instances, then that would probably change. I put the vent info up in the OP in case anyone wanted to use it.

In game chat is different. A lot of players are usually off doing their own thing, but the other thing to keep in mind is that in many cases I've noticed people complaining of there being no chat going yet are being just as anti-social as others on there. You have to make the effort yourself if you want to see chat going. Everytime I sign on I start throwing things in chat to see what kind of discussions popup, also because without it I'd be bored in LOTRO. Last night was a good conversation about genocide, racism, bob saget, and a few other things. You just have to be willing to start talking and others will typically join in.

Don't forget cumrag technology!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm overly nerding out at getting to see things from the books (especially things removed from the movies). Got way too giddy at the old forest, Crickhollow, and the barrow downs. Not to mention Tom Bombadil dancing around :3.

Level 23, still in Bree, with 15-20 quests in my log still, hah. No shortage of quests in this game.

So what things do people use their TP and gold for? I like things that are permanent and useful best, was just looking for suggestions. Here's what I've seen, didn't know if there's some good ones I'm missing:

TP:
Sixth bag slot
Daily Task limit increases
Quest packs

Gold:
Vault size
Uh....collecting mounts?
Buying random crap off the AH?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'd also join in for barrows fun. 26 or 27 hunter currently. My gear sucks for the most part - Find made me an awesome trio of bows, and...gently caress I blanked on the name, but someone else made me some good stat-sticks for my melee weapons, but other than that it's just what I've found plus a few things I made myself in tailoring. I'd love to get some real dungeon loot.

This game has its hooks into me good right now. Really enjoying it. I also just love seeing the poo poo from the book in-game. I nerd out over it more than is healthy.

Can anyone talk about Deeds to me for a few minutes? My traits look pretty weak, except for Charity, because I quest like a mother fucker. But Charity doesn't look good for a hunter.

-Are they something I should be taking time to work on?
-Class deeds (like "use this skill 1000 times") don't seem to go up on gray mobs, correct (and no, I wasn't at the daily limit - it said it could still be incremented)?
-What about kill deeds on gray mobs?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Bruman here! So last night I joined up for GB an the world's longest skirmish, then today we did Forsaken Inn. I wanted to ramble about how awesome they were :3

For GB, the fights were fun. We only did the first instance, and it was my first group ever. Things I learned as a hunter:

-Don't use AoE evarz. I tried it once. Won't do it again (unless it's a spot where I'm told too).
-I quickly got the hang of "give the tank time to engage". I'm an EQ-man by heart, so that's normal for me. However mid-fight getting aggro was still an issue sometimes. I don't know what to do about that other than learn the individual tanks and what they can hold. I did just get Endurance stance though, that should help.
-On trash pulls threat doesn't matter too much. Just burn poo poo down.
-I felt I was reasonably competent at least on helping peel adds off the healers. I was usually pretty aware of that. I'd rather get hit than them, if the tank/off-tank is busy or hasn't seen them yet

So other than my own crap, the GB instance itself was a good little dungeon crawl. We died a lot to the bosses, but it was all good. I like that everyone had patience and was just chilling, taking our time. Also thanks to the veterans for talking us through things and explaining.

The skirmish was just chaos. But that happens when you 4 man a 6 man, I guess. Also, I apparently forgot to pick my skirm partner. I still know nothing about skirms, so I need to play at the skirm trainer for a bit.

Today we did Forsaken Inn, and it was awesome. I loved it. I hate that you have to combo 3 broad "roles" to do it, but it was a lot of fun solving puzzles together. And seeing Dorin die over and over to the spiny traps :P. (we were further in, I wasn't there to disable at the time). We have to try tier 2 sometime!

My one big complaint about this game? Vendor selling sucks. I asked in-game and apparently that's just how it is. Is there no better way to sell than scrolling through the vendor's list? Because that's crap. The lock/unlock thing isn't really a solution either. My inventory is organized, so let me sell from that like every other MMO ever. As much polish and great features as this game has, I can't believe there's not something better. Please tell me guild chat was wrong :(.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Captain Backslap posted:

They were correct, but I'm not 100% sure why you find one method better than the other.

Because my inventory on my person is organized. All the stuff I'd want to vendor stands out and I can quickly hit them, based on where it is.

When I go through the vendor window, it's all over the place. I'm not sure what they use for the order in that window, but it doesn't match by bag or anything.

ECBoots posted:

Alt+Lclick the item in your inventory, then Ctrl+T to lock items. It's not the most convenient, but it is something.

Thanks, that'll help, since I can at least quickly lock everything in my inventory.

SeaTard posted:

You get used to it pretty quickly. Especially when combined with the Hugebag mod, it lets me have a portion of my inventory that is locked and hidden in the vendor window, which then lets me do a quick glance over my loot and then hit sell all.

I'll check out that mod too (but probably tomorrow hehe). Thanks for the tips!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Captain Backslap posted:

Silverlode lotro goons...

:siren:It's about time for a night of chicken fun, I think. We have so many drat new faces and so many of them completely unaware of the fact that you can play a chicken!:siren:

We need to make Friday night Chicken Night! I will be roping people into this alternate gameplay activity at around 6PM Pacific/9PM Eastern US. If you can endure the heartbreak and loss, you will be getting your Cloak of the Cluck

I don't know what this means but I'm in.

Can we get Vent working by then? We tried yesterday and it wasn't working, and I tried it again right now and it still wouldn't connect. Anyone else having luck?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yay, we finished GB! That last boss is stupidly easy.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
So, finally finished Book 2 and Lone-lands, with North :downs: also about half-ish done maybe? I'm at level 33. I figure ND still has quite a lot to go (I still have lots of DB / white quests for there). I expect I'll be 35 at least.

And now it's time for some GA! I got eight quests for there, weeee!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I just realized noone talks about North Downs because it's a quest pack, and Lonelands is free. Derp.

Once you buy the expansions (Moria, Mirkwood, Isengard, RoR), is there more content to buy? Are there any Quest Packs that have levels at the same range or higher than Moria?

Also, I asked a page or two ago with no response, so I'll ask again - what's up with the Vent server? Who owns it and can look into it? It'd be nice to use it for groups or our chicken night. Not necessary, no, but can be fun.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

sassassin posted:

Lothlorien? http://archive.lotro.com/lotrostoresale/1573-lotro-store-quest-packs

Wasn't a new vent thing set up the other day (something about it appears in the kinship message I think)?

The one in the GMOTD is the same as the one in the OP, last I remember.

Edit: Thanks for the link too! Looks like there's a mix of expansions and quest packs still as it goes on. I was hoping once you got to Moria it was just expansions.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 17, 2013

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I know as a hunter when I'm out questing (where I'm pretty much just mowing through mobs non-stop), or if it's a longer boss fight in an instance, I definitely need food to not run out of power. With in-combat power regen food, I then never have an issue - not sure if I still would with just out-of-combat power regen food.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Rarity posted:

Why did nobody tell me I can set my arrows on fire? :black101:

Your trainer DID tell you! You can use light too, a few levels later.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Fuzz posted:

I just got this skill and assumed I had to buy some sort of crafted oil or something...

Wasn't sure if you're saying you figured it out, or you're still not sure, so just in case - at your trainer, visit their shop. They sell oil.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
:siren: 56k warning :siren:

Oh leader, lead us to greatness!

What will be in store for us on this great journey...

We have traveled far, but still so far to go!

A mighty defender rises to protect the flock!

Us hens love The Cock.

Also, I hate how settings get wiped. Now you can't see my beautiful name in my own screenshots!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Evil Fluffy posted:

I ended up going out last night and missed this. How hard/long is it to solo the stuff you guys did to get caught up for the next run?

Yeah, as Captain said, you do the introductory stuff, then join the flock on the other ones. The zone-based quests can be done in any order when they're open.

As far as difficulty, it really just depends. The red dots on the mini-map help a ton, but Trollshaws has hidden cats (and that's what got Nojurn), and that was with Hwarga killing a lot of stuff for us too. We also lost 3 on Envendim through a bad part on the road. So a lot of it can depend on luck of where and when things decide to path. Definitely easier with a guard though.

TheHoosier posted:

I am really sorry I missed this. It looks really funny

We didn't even get screens of some better parts. Mobbing people when we saw them, Nojurn's poor corpse, a max-level LM who followed us for a while nuking everything with one-shot spells, someone on a horse who kept on autofollowing us (who we ended up abandoning in the middle of the NE lake in Bree-land, hah). We had lots of dumb fun.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Drone posted:

gently caress the Narsil/The Tomb of Elendil/The Blade That Was Broken questline in Evendim. gently caress it.

Hah, I just started that one earlier today (then went to do family poo poo). I'll finish it anyways! ALL QUESTS MUST BE FINISHED!

However, yeah, I can't help but think "welcome to WoW circa 2005" with the quest flow in most of the zones so far. I'm an elf hunter, so I have it way the gently caress easier than the rest of you (I can port to all sorts of places, including Evendim and Rivendell), and I find a lot of areas annoying. I still have tons of North Downs quests (mostly fellowship ones that I'm waiting to gray out honestly, yes I'm that dumb about quests), but I'm to the point where most chains have me just running all over the drat place.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Holy crap, lots of posts last night!

Radio! posted:

Wait til you get to the latter half of Vol. 1! "Hey go talk to this dude in Rivendell. Now go to Angmar. Now Evendim. Now Angmar again. North Downs. Rivendell." Guuuuuuuuuuh.

Hooray for ports and cheap traveling rations! Although this news further cements my "never going to play an alt", because I can't imagine playing the game and not being a hunter at this point.

Radio! posted:

There's an instance in the Misty Mountains that drops Mathom rep like crazy and is way easier to do than a billion Shire quests. I'm blanking on the name/whether or not it's VIP, but I'm sure someone knows. It's not in Helegrod, I know that.

It's not about the rep, it's about doing all the quests! At some point I'm going to go back and do Shire, Archet, etc. Whatever zones will talk to me. In WoW, I had Loremaster back before they revamped everything for Cataclysm, and made it a lot easier. Anyone else who's familiar with that achievement knows the hell I went through :).

ruffz posted:

Looks like I get to go on an ore farming adventure tomorrow since the weaponsmith crafting guild recipes need crap tons of ore that is either too expensive on the AH or not even up there at all. If I were to just use the ore I already have I'd only be able to make like 5 of the emblems each time they're off cooldown and it'd take like 2 months to max out the rep.

I feel lost - are you saying there's another way to get guild rep than making the patterns and consuming them? I've only been in the crafting guild for a few days.

Fuzz posted:

If I ere to buy the Rohan expansion but not the Triple Pack with Isengard and Moria and all that... could I even get to Rohan, since I can't go through Moria?

My understanding was that the entire world map is open. If you don't own the content, you'll have no quests, and can't do the deeds, so it'd pretty drat pointless, but you could still travel around. Also a hunter could port you I'd assume.

Fuzz posted:

Goddammit, Steam, have another sale already!

I feel ya. We both joined in right as all the awesome sales ended (Mithril pack $10, triple-pack $20, Rohan $20).

Fuzz posted:

Only other modern MMORPG I've played is SWTOR, and that game's content in general was easy as poo poo compared to LOTRO's group stuff. Flashpoints were a joke for the most part, and even the Raids weren't particularly hard if your people knew what to do.

FWIW, I've found that goes for drat near all MMOs. Most of the time pubbies are horrible, guild groups are decent because people are less impatient and more willing to listen. I did a Flashpoint in SWTOR during beta, and we got our asses handed to us on two or three attempts, then everyone bailed. And I think it goes without saying that "content is easier if people know what's going on".

Except for that first dude in GB, good lord. It's totally a DPS check.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Brave New World posted:

Evendim: Everyone agrees about this one. It's the zone that Turbine got right. Great quest flow, gorgeous atmosphere, and grants you Kindred reputation status just for passing through. Buy it. Enjoy it.

North Downs: In need of a rework by Turbine. Most of it's ok, but the area know as Dol Dinen needs a serious revamp. Dol Dinen is almost a great loving spot(its a giant army encampment full of orcs, trolls and wargs), except it requires a Fellowship(for overland content), almost everything's elite, and the quest structure sends you to kill the guys further back first and THEN gives you the quest to kill the guys you fought through to get to the guys in back. There's also a series of Troll quests in Southern ND that should be avoided at all costs. You can have more fun leveling in other zones.

I've been to these two, so I thought I'd comment on them too.

Evendim: I'm currently in the middle of it. Most of the quest hubs are done pretty well, although there is still a bit of back-tracking (like the tomb-robber infested ruins across the river), and a few quest chains that hurt the flow (like the treasure one, although that's fun so far, not done with yet). I think the flow also breaks down a bit when you're at the ranger camp, as it sends you to salamander island that everyone says is miserable (I've yet to do that quest just because of it's reputation on that chain), and it also sends you to Ost Forod (with multiple breadcrumbs), so you end up doing both hubs at once and things get a bit annoying.

But yeah, so far, pretty sweet zone, not too bad.

North Downs: uuuuggghhh. This zone definitely needs serious re-work in light of what modern quest flow is like. At times the zone is great. I like a lot of the areas, there's some cool quests, Halbarad is in it, etc. But the quest flow is a bit jumpy, then there's some chains that constantly send you from the east to the west to the east and back again, and just all over in general. Plus there's just a TON of 6-man quests that'll kill your quest chains, and it turns out those continue on for a while too. Alot of them have cool areas and backstory too, so it's a real shame that they're not re-tuned to be solo. Out of the zones I've done so far, I've found this one the most frustrating, plus it just never ends as I started there my early 20s and I still have quests reaching into the 40s from there.

It's not one I'd recommend anyone buy. I'm just doing it because I'm stupid about quests.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
So you know those 5 loading splash screens you have to go through before you can actually start playing?

Well, one of those is advertising LOTRO gift cards, with two types. One is "1000 points for $10", the other is..."1600 points for $20". Lawl.

Also, has anyone else gotten these annoying rear end bugs? I know some of them you have, but maybe some of you know a solution:

• Auto-run just stops
  • Can no longer zoom in/out (I'll get stuck in first-person)
  • Several actions in the UI cause my character to start running - click "post" on the AH, using tradeskill where I press "Make" with a specific amount (works if I leave it at the default 1 though...), and a new one I found last night where I shift drag from my vault and specify a specific amount to take out.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Ah, gotcha. I like how BOTH of you used the same smiley though :).

Although it seems that it would make more sense to have different adverts for each region. Anywhos!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Epi Lepi posted:

1) Can another hunter post a screenshot of their tool bars like people were doing for other classes a while ago?

I was going to, then I realized mine aren't very organized (just semi-organized). At level 40, here's how I generally arrange them though:

Main bar: first is barbed arrow, then the build focus one, then penetrating shot, then swift bow. Next is set trap, then followed by the melee skills that I rarely use.

Above bar: stances, speed run buff, potions (each group is spaced)
Above bar: Here's where it starts getting messier. There's a couple of skills I've never used, then a few situational bow (pulling, aoe, <50% shot), then camo, focus skills (the 100% one then the non-combat build one), then skirmish stuff
Above that: a few random things (horse, etc), then various buff/foods (oils, random bonus scrolls, super health pot, etc)

The to the bottom right, I put two bars (they're at the bottom of my screen). Bottom-most row has all the travel ports, return to milestone, etc. One above that has lesser-used non-combat stuff like the various track skills, detect mine/wood (I'm an Explorer), and make campfire.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I want the area south of the Shire, so I can follow Frodo's footsteps. This is very important.

And the Gray Havens would be awesome, just to have in-game as a place to explore and visit. Not everything needs amazing exciting content like "go kill 10 wargs" to be worth checking out ;-)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
So I'm up to the level 40 fellowship quest on The Blade That Was Broken, if anyone else wants to try it again ;-)

Note, that I thought the quest was mostly fine. I cheezed the poo poo out of the travel though, and would recommend anyone else do the same. I use my hunter port to travel back to Evendim several times, took the boat to get to salamander island the 2 times and over the Eavespires the one time (wtf, no boats for non-VIP? surely that's a bug =/. just make the not swift-travel.), and 2 traveler's writs to get back to The Blue Lady (although I suffered the swim the first time).

If you're doing this without a hunter, then I'd recommend buying a lot of traveler's writs (note that they're pretty drat cheap, not that it makes it an excuse for poor quest design). I was happy with myself for figuring out the riddle at least.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Sweet, I'll yell at you next time I see you, Rehz.

I find the amount of fellowship quests in the game kinda annoying. It's my own fault though, because I'm stubborn and refuse to drop quests. The worst are the ones that start a chain of overworld fellowship quests. I usually wait until they're gray or just about to go gray and try them. Most of them I can do at that point. If not, I just wait a few more levels and try again.

In a perfect world, it's nice to have the options of overworld group quests. But in reality for these types of MMOs, people rarely, if at all, group for anything outside of explicit group content inside a dungeon.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Captain Backslap posted:

Some areas are the absolute worst, too, like North Downs. There seems like a roughly 50% chance any time I visit there where someone is asking for help in LFF and even though I'm way over level they're happy just to see someone else around to help them.

That's actually the zone I was talking about, without naming it, hahaha. Well, there and some left over GA quests (all but 1 can be completed in the overworld).

All of the quest hubs on the eastern half end with fellowship quest chains (the dwarven area at the top, the elf people near the bottom send you to trolls, Estledin send you into the elite area of the orc camp, and someone sends you to elite birds in the NE).

It is kinda fun trying to do the quests though, even when they're green/gray. They're definitely challenging as a squishy hunter. If I can get singles it's no problem, but lots of these are designed so that you always get adds (like the Pulling Beards quest, 3 elites at once, and traps don't help because they all throw axes, that poo poo is very gray and still stomps me!)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Lawl. Good to see LOTRO isn't free from the typical MMO bile of players.

Call me weird, but I've always been fine with the "if you're not raiding, you don't need raid gear" mentality. In some games I raid, in some games I don't. The ePeen and "everyone needs easy ways to get everything" mentalities don't make sense to me.

Speaking of - what IS "end-game" like on LOTRO? Not that I'm overly concerned, just curious. There's obvious things of rep grind, deed grind, doing the repeatable quests for faction (I've found ones for Bree and Lone-lands at least). I've heard about rebuilding some town being a RoR end-game thing. What're the raids like? Are there the typical raid tiers?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

xZAOx posted:

Speaking of - what IS "end-game" like on LOTRO? Not that I'm overly concerned, just curious. There's obvious things of rep grind, deed grind, doing the repeatable quests for faction (I've found ones for Bree and Lone-lands at least). I've heard about rebuilding some town being a RoR end-game thing. What're the raids like? Are there the typical raid tiers?

Asking again because I'm still curious :)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Everyone really needs to drink from the keg at the kinhouse. Make sure to read the buffs. It'll make all your dreams come true.

Also, no other game has tried my OCD about finishing all the quests like this one does. North Downs is killing me. So many fellowship quest chains.

must...not....abandon....quests....

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

alucinor posted:

Anyone else been having frequent "unexpected error, lotro must close, send error notice Y/N" issues since this week's update? I'm dropping out like once an hour.

No issues here. Played for several hour stretches.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Screenies from Chicken Run Part Duex: The Cluckening!

Thus we set out for our first of the night!

THE MIGHTY RHEZ SHALL PROTECT US!

Our closest death of the night - Thwackin decided to go make friends >: (. Noone actually died though, despite his efforts.

Gee, I hope we have enough guards!

My last image of the night - as we get some people through to Trollshaws.

Also, an unrelated quest I did took me here. Just a short, fun little quest line that starts with riddles from Bilbo in Rivendell, and ends up getting into lore. The reason I took this screenshot - what the gently caress is up with that horribly lovely model on the floor? When the game launched were all models that bad? It looks like it's from EQ1.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd forgotten how annoying it could be to level professions at higher tiers. Needing 1040xp to master tailoring means another (roughly) 432 pristine hides needed. Fun times. :shepface:

Yeah, these professions are just ridiculous. I'm a tailor too, but I assume everyone is screwed like this.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
It took me 40+ levels, but I FINALLY figured out why the loot window when gathering resources is all over the place! In case anyone else is a nubtacular as me - the loot window shows up OVER the actual resource node. What a weird choice. So if you're mining ore, make it so the ore node is at the bottom left of your screen, and that's where the window pops up, for example. Maybe there's a UI option to change it - I'd like my loot window to always be in the same spot, but at least now I can control it from popping up over my hotbars.

Also, I think the game has finally broke me. My endeavor to do every quest ever is going to be impossible. It's all the drat fellowship quests. I have to gray them out so much, and there's so many of them, that I don't have the room. However, I am going to stay with doing all the solo-able quests (and some small fellowship quests are easily solo-able) in the order I get them.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

M_Sinistrari posted:

Since I recently received a survey from Turbine thing where a good portion was questions regarding housing, I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes happen in some upcoming patch or update.

I thought they already said a housing revamp was in the works in the dev twitter chat.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

headsupsevenup posted:

Turn on auto-loot and never look back, it will save you from clicking loot-all every time, along with saving your sanity from having to re-position your camera every time you want to mine an ore node.

Perfect! Thanks man.

Fried Sushi posted:

If you hold shift while you click on the resource node it will auto-loot so you won't see any loot window. I think it is shift by default but pretty sure you can modify the key in the options.

I just discovered that last night too - but it overwrites pending loot. I don't like monster trash going into my loot (usually because I have to get picky when adventuring, so much inventory management).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Brave New World posted:

Are you dealing with only 3 bags? As annoying as it is, it really pays off to run back to a vendor and sell everything once you fill up. Trash loot can also be used for turning in Tasks, which pay out XP and Rep with the area's faction. You're also setting yourself up for the inevitable "Why's it so hard to make money in this game!?" because you're not doing what everyone else is doing to make that money from Day One.

Now if you're dealing with a gold cap, pay to make it go away ASAP. That gold cap will keep you from buying the last few personal storage chests at the bank, and you will absolutely be needing those just like the rest of us do. :)

Of course, the best advice of all is to pay for a single month of VIP to get rid of all account restrictions(and gain two more bags!) for any character that gets logged in during that period.

Nah, I'm in my VIP month, and even with 5 bags it fills up. I do empty it out as often as possible, but you still run into the quest hub with no vendors sometimes - or the quests put you killing different creatures so you get all loot from that tier at the same time hehe.

On the topic of making gold - if anyone out there is actually having money issues, the AH is your friend. Recipes, green-colored-crafting-items, and ESPECIALLY gathered materials (usually refined - ores->ingots, hides->leathers, etc) all sell on the AH and will get you rich. After you've given away what you can to kinmates, of course :). It's another point in VIP's bucket - make use of the 30 AH slots for that month, and you'll be set.

I really wish there was a kin vault like in a typical MMO (as in, right next to the regular vault guy) so we'd all have a dumping ground for our extra poo poo to share. A two-hour kin auction doesn't quite cut it, nor does "travel to the kinhaus and run around looking in chests".

• Locked thread