Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

are there any video websites besides youtube that use webm? google has managed to re-enconde pretty much everything on youtube as webm but I don't think it's exactly taking over the world like they said it would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

just a butt posted:

realplayer is apparently still a Thing in korea

also ie6

if I remember correctly their internet infrastructure is built to use a ton of activex or something

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Cryin Burnigan posted:

when are we going to get film shot regularly at super high resolution and at high fps so that I can feel like I am watching the movie through my window and not like i am watching a movie. I basically want my tv to be recessed into my wall and then i can look through it into a world of magic movies that look real.

is there any good reason it has taken this long to get to 48fps which afik was just so that you had 24hz per eye besides the film industry being weird. Like is there a real benefit to lower FPS

film spergs will tell you that 24fps is the only way to properly experience the magic illusion of cinema

also that it has to be shot on film and not digital, 24fps at digital ruins the illusion

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

people are literally arguing about codec packs in tyool 2013 :ughh:

just install ffdshow, problem solved

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

pagancow posted:

Media player classic home cinema.

Built in decoders for stuff windows doesn't have (mpeg2) keyboard controls, hardware accelerated playback, minimal UI, color management if you profile your display.

Also takes less than 3 seconds to open.

also with ffdshow installed

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Shaggar posted:

animes go "oh man time to download vlc and mpc and ccccp code pack and ffdshow and anime(mkv) splitter" and then they only ever use vlc which has all that built in and go "lol wmp doesn't even work!" cause they broke it with bad software.

ffdshow in wmp owns and I think they've had the option to make it work in wmp for some time now

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Wheany posted:

but the youtube anti shaking thing is loving hilarious. the best ones i've seen are from parades or something where there is some sort of uneven parallax motion across the whole frame. poo poo gets wobbly.

it gets loving insane when someone accidentally turns it on for the video game video they just uploaded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ue-DmQGLRs

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

ahmeni posted:

seems all pretty self explanatory???
someone post ham_radio_software.png

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

thom holwerda over on osnews is as usual unintentionally funny

at least he managed to avoid mentioning his love of unicorns for once

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Wheany posted:

welp, webm infringes h.264 patents after all:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/07/google-admits-its-vp8webm-codec-infringes-mpeg-h264-patents

oh, and: "Mozilla and Opera initially also tried to prevent the use of H.264, but have since capitulated to support H.264 as a standard" i guess webm is completely dead then.

welp, good thing we stopped all work on theora, vp8's the only web codec we need right guys???

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Wheany posted:

can we talk about webp? because it seems webp is pretty ownage. it supports lossless and lossy compression, with alpha, and animation. and it seems to do each better than jpeg, png and gif. and google might be able to use their high browser market share to actually give the format some chance of making it.

the best they could do with it right now is to convince mozilla to bake webp support into firefox, and considering firefox has supported webm since like day one I'm kind of surprised this hasn't happened yet

hopefully the reason isn't because mozilla is hoping for animated png to catch on instead, because it won't

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

slogsdon posted:

lol if you didnt buy a movie theatre with bitcoins and use it to watch classic cartoons and drink soda. just lol

but does this setup include rc cola

this is important

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

pagancow posted:

PS3 is not connected to the internet.

the update

is on the disc.

#wow #sobad

Sony did the same thing years earlier to ensure the success of UMD movie releases on the PSP

well, they did that with the games discs at least, they probably did it with the movies too but that would have required someone to have bought a UMD movie first

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 1, 2013

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

pagancow posted:

What will happen when they append h.265 to the standard?

.mp5 :hellyeah:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Sniep posted:

daily news teams up with david dees and becomes worlds most powerful media outlet

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

pagancow posted:

CRT chat is happening in the nes dev thread

Wth where's gentoo...

quick, someone start talking about secam

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

echinopsis posted:

:allears: what cant VGA do

be used for a resolution higher than 2048×1536px

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

pagancow posted:

what codecs/containers do you deal with on a regular basis?

webm via html5 for the purest video freedoms

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Doc Block posted:

Motion Picture Experts Group

should be a norton's niggas style gang tag

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

ahmeni posted:

officially the best page of the best thread

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

pagancow posted:

here's a sensationalized version of the story its a good read:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q1.07/5F0C866C-6DDF-4A9A-9515-531B0CA0C29C.html

scroll down to "quicktime designed to create"

I had no idea David Dees was a Mac user

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

edit: here's some authentic, "warm" vinyl video for ur dad

I see this and all I can hear is theremin

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

~Coxy posted:

VLC is quiet as poo poo (on OS X anyway, not sure about windows) so I have to leave it on 400% all the time

vlc's volume is normal on windows (maybe on linux as well?), the up to 400% increase is actually pretty useful though if the video you're watching wasn't made loud enough to start with

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Suspicious Dish posted:

i think you mean vp9

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Share Bear posted:

cisco is putting out an open source version of h264 for all the other browsers so we dont have to give a gently caress anymore

maybe everyone can finally uninstall flash after that's put out

ahahaha and it's under the bsd license suck it fsf

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

ahmeni posted:

oh he's definitely got access to a special spectrum alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Install Windows posted:

whats the name of that codec that pretty much only shows up on the DS/3DS and a few GBA games. a lot of games have a logo card for it in their startup alongside the dev/publisher logos

sofdec?

• Locked thread