Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Speaking of kairosoft, what's the verdict on venture towns? I've played most of their games (cafeteria most recently), but the idea of a city sim sounds fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Came in to post that despite the thread title, Slayin is indeed brilliant. Massively addictive, although gently caress getting a perfect kill on that goddamn Imp

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

all I know is that me and teddybear are locked in a goddamn epic battle to get as close to the same word as many times as possible without ever actually getting the same word. So far we've covered midgets, religion, tv shows, dogs and fox news. I think at one point I actually typed "aargh".

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

duckfarts posted:

Wait for them to come back; they come back 1-3 an hour(not really confirmed? see above posts) up to 12.

Installed it last night and haven't had a single banana 'regenerate' yet. Bit odd.

e: doh, misread the post.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

man, those looking for something to scratch the strategy itch, check out Kingturn: http://toucharcade.com/2013/05/09/kingturn-rpg-review-a-brilliant-ios-tactical-battle-game/

The prologue is free and rather lengthy, you then pay for the full game if you want to continue. I'm five scenarios in and I will definitely pay to unlock the rest of it, it's a great little turn-based strategy RPG. Definitely watch the tutorial video first otherwise you'll have no freaking idea what's going on. It may look like pants, but there's plenty going on under the hood and it's even got a silly Clash of Heroes-style storyline thrown in.

If you're like me you'll also try rushing and get absolutely demolished, only to learn that slow and steady wins the race.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

heiden posted:

Finally breaking down and trying this good game with possibly the least appealing graphics around.

Do it! After a couple rounds you'll probably stop noticing the graphics completely (as I did) and get sucked into the game. Protip: protect your chick as much as possible, focus her Power (in the char status screen) and spam lightning bolt constantly. Every round she's off the field is a round you're not frying fools. If you equip her right she'll soon regen the SP cost of lightning bolt every round.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

heiden posted:

Just finished the Kingturn free prologue campaign, goddamn this game is good but also really expensive (4,49€ iirc). You really stop caring about the graphics about 10 minutes into the game because it's so much fun. Could only finish the first two battles on the hardest difficulty, so the gameplay is really challenging, too. Guess I'll pick up an appstore giftcard tomorrow to buy it!

It was £2.49 for me, which actually feels like a total bargain for how good it is and how long the campaign is.

The nice thing as well is that once you've finished the prologue, when you start the actual campaign you are already so much better at the game it's not even funny.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

heiden posted:

Kingturn RPG is the best game.

Glad you're liking it, I agree with everything you said :) The nice thing as well is that the dev is very active in the TA forum thread, with discussions about how to manage treasure chests, NPC gear and all sorts of other stuff. I believe the permanent knockout feature was actually a request from that thread and it went straight in pretty fast.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Holy poo poo, Kingdom Rush Frontiers comes out next week

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Warhammer Quest is now live on the UK store as well. Searching for it didn't work, but using the direct link from the TA app picked it up instantly.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

FreakyZoid posted:

Portrait to view inventory. Why? That is just insane.

Also found it annoying the tutorial doesn't really explain a lot of the rules of combat. Like what "pinned" is, why my dwarf attacks a bunch of people sometime, why my barbarian can't attack at all sometimes, that the elf can fire over characters but the wizard can't.

The trick is to hold down on anything you're not sure about. So for example, when you see "Pinned" or "Berserk" on your marauder's status, press and hold on each of them and the respective journal entry will pop up that explains it. It's quite nice for explaining certain mechanics, except that the tooltip telling you about the functionality itself only appears once :)

Alternative: just open up the journal and read through the various bits. There's not too much there, but keep in mind that you can actually scroll the help text.

The one thing I'm still not very clear about is the interplay between toughness and weapon skill. The help text keeps it deliberately vague, but it'd be good to know more about the mechanics.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

freeb0rn posted:

The Grey Wizard will pick up steam once he gets some items and a level up and starts melting everything with Shadow Bolt.

See I was hoping this was the case but my guy's lvl 2 and his shadow bolt does absolutely gently caress all damage - it hits for like 3 while my barb and dwarf are hitting for 8-12. I was tempted to buy the Archmage for a change, but I'm pretty dependent on the Grey Wizard's heal at this point.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

So I went from being kind of "is this it?" at the start of Warhammer Quest, to buying ALL the IAP heroes and the campaign today. The new heroes look interesting. I think when I do a replay in hardcore mode, I'll set myself the rule that when a hero dies that I must bring in a different hero to replace them. That should be fun.

Something to be aware of, is that when you level up a char, the skill they get is random. People have reported getting several amazing offensive spells with their Grey Wizard, or Might Blow on their Ironbreaker, while my two versions of those chars are basically a healbot and a passive useless motherfucker, respectively.

Apparently when you level up, if you get a poo poo skill you can just force quit the app before the game saves and reload to try again, but it's kind of a lame way of doing it. Would have much preferred if they gave you a choice rather than making it random.

Also - Trollslayer with Mastercrafted Axe and +hit chance ring is a total badass.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

It's random? That's ... awesome. Seriously. Look I know games with multiple skills are all the rage these days, but it's kind of annoying that every single one of them lets you choose your build. I've always wanted, at least as an option, for skills to just be randomly assigned to me from a pool and I have to just deal with it rather than picking precisely the one I want. I mean even with XCOM, a game that I adore, I pick the same skills for every class every time.

I now officially love Warhammer Quest even more. Plus, this gives it much more replayability in my book.

It'd be nice if I felt the same way, but the fact that it's random means I totally can't be assed to replay all over again and risk just getting the same poo poo twice.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

So, Kingdom Rush 2 verdicts? Basically just more Kingdom Rush? (This is no bad thing)

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

I was playing WQ solidly for a good couple of weeks, and then Scurvy Scallywags came out. Not touched anything else since.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

For those playing Scurvy Scallywags, does the game get tougher? Because I'm on my third set of islands I think (the snowmen one), and pretty much ever since I unlocked the "convert the most popular item to gold" and "convert all gold to swords" skills, together they've basically trivialised every level. Clear out lesser-numbered items in the first couple of moves, hit both skills and hey presto, ~140 power. Combined with the pistol and I basically haven't come across a single enemy that tested me. I'm level 22 now.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Wtf is it? The screenshots make it look like a freaky japanese love shack simulator.

Wait, that's what it is, isn't it.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Wow, not sure if you guys are playing 868-Hack, but it is a roguelike par excellence.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Random PT question: why are you able to delete a train line? I understand removing the ownership of a line, so that you can reassign different trains to it, but I don't quite understand why I can delete a line I paid 2,500 coins for by accident? Was off to a good start, double tapped a line by mistake and burned nearly all my cash :(

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

empiremonkey posted:

Just go to the map (not through the depart screen) and tap on the track and it should offer to sell it for you.

Sorry, what I meant is that I bought the track and then deleted it by accident.

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Maybe so that you can remove cities that don't really mesh well with your overall plan? Like I have Athens bought, but it's a decently long trip and only connects to one city, so it's effectively a dead end. Not great long-term and I'll probably want to stop getting jobs to it at some point.

That does make sense actually, and presumably you also want to get rid of unprofitable cargo taking up slots in the station.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Er, is there a tutorial of any kind for Marvel Puzzle Quest? Cos it just dropped me in a fight with doctor doom and loving numbers were coming from all over the place. I get the obvious match-3 mechanic, but what the hell is going on with the rest of it? What are the colours / special moves all about? Does it explain things if I keep playing?

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

So I managed to finally land the 50 gold reward in the first level, and picked up a premium character - got a 4-star X-Force Wolverine, who proceeded to completely break the early levels. Poor old Juggernaut :(

In terms of the crazy 4-star characters, is the only way to level them/train up via premium currency? Or do covers for them actually drop later in the game? I have a feeling he's going to stay at level 1 for quite some time (although he still shreds/tanks everything for now).

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

I haven't seen any in the missions, but 4-star Wolverine seems to be the top prize for every PvP tournament. You can level by training the skill he has using ISO instead of covers, but it gets expensive pretty quickly and you need a matching cover to unlock any other skills.

vvv oh, lame. I guess the high level 3-4 stars I'm seeing are much more of a money sink than I thought.

Yeah, unfortunately unlike the other chars, 4-star wolverine requires gold to even level up his starter skill, hence why he's still stuck on lvl 1.

I'm currently running X-Factor Wolverine, Classic Storm/Black Widow and Iron Man, and the one thing that's proving a weak spot is black/purple. Who's the best char you guys have found for those two colours? Venom?

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Captain Matchbox posted:

Btw I just reached this exact spot right after the tutorial finished. That's about 5 mins in.

Wow. gently caress them forever.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Recommendations time, goons: I'm heading on a week-long business trip with long-haul flights either way so I'm looking for some decent strategy/sim games for the iPad.

Already have M&M: Clash of Heroes and the Room, and just picked up Star Command as I figured it's probably finally worth a look. I saw that Eclipse: New Dawn has been discounted and that seems to have rave review on TA so considering it. Worth getting? Any other tips very welcome.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

TDS question: Is a skill 7 dream job worker better than a skill 9 worker in the same shop? I get that I can just give the guy his dream job for the bux and then kick him, but I'm not quite sure what the skill rating actually does so I can't tell if a higher skill is worth more than the double stock bonus from the dream jobber.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Don't listen to the whiners Eli, they'll spot something on the store in the next six seconds that grabs their attention anyway.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

TDS is the first Nimblebit game I've ever uninstalled. If they're (I know, Disney) going to patch out the ability to switch dream jobbers around, they can loving keep it.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

So is Space Hulk worth getting to play over Christmas? I heard that the £7 pricetag only gets you two missions and then it's another £7 to unlock more? Or was that just a wild exaggeration?

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Have a long flight coming up, so was thinking of getting FFVI for a bit of nostalgia. Does it require any sort of internet connection or am I good to run some ugly sprites around for 6-8hrs?

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Saw goony Luca Redwood do a talk on making 10000000 today at GDC. Didn't realise he was a brit :)

He didn't talk about You Must Build a Boat unfortunately, but the 10m chat was fun.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

devilmouse posted:

You should also harvest the crap out of the wood on the island when you take it over.

Holy gently caress, I had no idea you could do this!

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Has there been any talk at all from SuperCell about social elements for Boom Beach? I'm loving the game and regularly fighting over resource bases and the like, but it feels like there's a massive hole where the clans/friends aspect should be. I've currently got mousehat and party gorilla on my friends list and we have zero interaction.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Feenix posted:

Boom Beach question: Do you only get stone from digging up rocks in your own plot of land? My one Resource Base doesn't have any visible rocks. Stone Storage requires 40 less stone than what I have pilfered from my own island, and I don't seem to have much more left on my island to dig. And the Cannon takes like 2000+ more...

[edit] Oh I see I get some when I defeat island bases.

I think at HQ level 6 or 7 you also unlock the Quarry, which generates stone for you in addition to the stuff you loot from enemies.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Does the Dr. Terror challenge come back after the timer expires? I got it recently for the first time and managed to clear the first two levels, but level 3 is just a giant gently caress-you to my troops and it's going to be quite a while before I can take on 4-5 level 10+ defenses with Heavies and Zukas.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Feenix posted:

The total momentum halt you experience around level 14 with stone production/acquisition pretty much ended my desire to play Boom Beach anymore.

I got to level 18, but funnily enough the stone wasn't the issue, it was the complete brick wall I encountered with defenses. At one point I had nine enemy bases available to me, all players between 22-25 (and that's after re-rolling several of them) and all of them had defenses that were just completely impenetrable. I was running 6 heavies and 10 zookas as the most effective team, and they would just get splattered on most defenses. After throwing troops at stuff for a couple of hours, I just deleted it.

As you say, at least I didn't spend any money on it.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Dragonrah posted:

This looks interesting...

Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 Mobile. Anyone try it yet?

http://appshopper.com/games/rollercoaster-tycoon%c2%ae-4-mobile

Argh - looks so, so so bad, but I'm still tempted because it's RCT. Anyone able to confirm how bad the freemium rape-age is?

Oof, from the TA forums:

quote:

Graphics are crap.
Animations are crap.
The introduction video was crap.(no limit to your imagination!)
There is no personal/staff you need to take care off.
There is no building waiting lines.
There is no remodelling.
There is EXP, there is tickets and there is gold. (ouch im sorry but you dont have enough EXP to build this, would you like to level up fast by buying this pack of 5 euro? thanks for your purchase! Would you like to place this attraction now? Ok! Building, construction will be complete in 2 weeks! im sorry but you dont have enough tycoon tickets to speed this process up! Would you like to buy some for 5 euro?) .... and i'm not including gold here...
There is no cute music's you can give to attraction.
There is not the vibrant and alive sounds like we used to have.
Guests are no longer "brained" . They walk around full solo & yolo.
No advanced editting in landscapes anymore like making mountains and deep lakes.
Timers everywhere like already mentioned.

bubbapook fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 10, 2014

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Star Wars Assault Team question: how the hell do you play this game without a healer? I've got Han, Luke and Chewie to tier 3, and my most valuable player is still my capped lvl2 rebel doctor. I haven't found any other healers so I'm kinda just stuck with him....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Got this one, enjoy the free gem. Adding a bunch of you as friends.

Name is FiddlerRiddle, code nBWJ4SMLWw.

Used your referral code, mine is Hr8lnxmQ1h. Added the rest of you.

bubbapook fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 13, 2014

• Locked thread