Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
Picked up Merchant to the Stars earlier today and just lost 90 minutes to it. I just realized that the bottom of each item's icon tells you the material it is made from. So much better than me having to click once to pull up the stats just to see if I needed to scrap it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
Trip report on Ultima Forever: 50% crash to desktop on zoning with iPad retina running iOS 6.1.3
Long load screens of just a black background
Requires a Facebook account to login.

Not worth the time it took to install and then patch. Skip it

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Apocron posted:

I don't mind the timer in Marvel because I prefer playing once in a while rather than grinding my way through. But it sucks other people can cheat it to level up faster and make the PVP harder.

The timer system is diabolically timed. I can usually play for a good 20 or 30 minutes before I run out of health / energy refreshes and then are asked if I want to spend bux or wait. By that time I've got my groove on and do Want to play more.

Yeah, PVP is a mixed bag for me. I see all these people who don't get a 4th copy of hawkeye from the 150 gold draws....
I just pretend that they bought all those levels with IAP.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

epitasis posted:

I haven't gotten it but I just started playing yesterday.

I also didn't get the bonus. Is it country specific?

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Ghostlight posted:

I haven't seen any in the missions, but 4-star Wolverine seems to be the top prize for every PvP tournament. You can level by training the skill he has using ISO instead of covers, but it gets expensive pretty quickly and you need a matching cover to unlock any other skills.

The 3 star Dr. Doom I got randomly requires gold to upgrade his skills w/o a cover.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I don't know; I've opened up the second area and still just have 1 guy on my team. Also farming bosses suck, I never know what elemental I need to be going in.

You can buy one minute long pills that let you change your element

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

ImsaKidd posted:

Yeah, this seems like a solid strategy to me.

It also seems important to get 4 essences equipped on your first guy ASAP. Preferably ones with reasonable growth, since those extra stats on level up are delicious.

Any tips on farming essence drops or do you just get a pile of cash and buy all the rares in town?

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Bummey posted:

Monster Adventuretalk
Since you don't get exp for kills

There is a skill that lets you earn XP per kill. I average 1100xp for clearing levels 1 and 2 of the meadows or a level in about 8 minutes of work.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

radge posted:

That Zelda esque game Oceanhorn is coming out in 36 hours and looks pretty nice.

Touch Arcade put out a 45 minute game play video yesterday.
Time to delete some older content and make room for this tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2gelTBwn8Y

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Sad lions posted:

Any word on a price yet?

From Touch Arcade forums YMMV:
The Game is out in New Zealand. It should be out in US at about 11 PM EST and Europe at around 12 AM UK time. Size of the app is 170MB.

Price in NZ is 12.99$ which should translate to USD $8.99

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

cname posted:

I'm still waiting for someone to play Oceanhorn and post about it.

-Any cool weapons or gimmicky stuff like a boomerang or bombs or something?

-What are boss fights like?

-Any issues you've had?

-Any particularly fun segments?

Since you all seem to disapprove of other people's critique, why not review it yourself instead of reviewing the review?

I'm an hour into the game. I got a gun for my boat so far. I'm very slow advancing since i'm trying to wall climb over everything.
the only part of the controls I have a problem with is trying to accurately throw a barrel or pot. you combine a swipe with a button press to "throw" stuff and I'm just horrible at judging the angle to swipe at. It runs well on my iPad retina and I have not noticed any slowdown or frame rate issues. Does not need wifi to play. huzzah!

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Gurz posted:

I'm cool with an imperfect beer getting a "perfect" score simply because there aren't many actual amazing beers in my fridge. So rating something 5*s says to me "this beer is really worth checking out" rather than "this is an absolutely perfect beer."

I'm not going to try that beer since there were purchases made after opening the beer.
Once I take a beer from the fridge, it should be free like all good beers are.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

ZarathustraFollower posted:

So how many other goons are still playing Hunter Island? I like it, and it scratches that pokemon-knockoff itch but gently caress grinding for good rank rare monsters.

I am still playing and having fun. The online PVP has reward tokens that you can use to upgrade a monster to a higher rank

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Kaizoku posted:

Oh man, if you started playing and it asked for your phone # for verification, I'd be ecstatic.

Couldn't they just use the Notifications built into iOS so the iPad & iPod Touch users could be ecstatic too?

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

Just adding that Brave Frontier is pretty neat for a free game. Seems grindy as all get out and "LOG IN WITH FACEBOOK TO GET GEMS" type stuff but a neat little time killer.

Player name is PoopButt.

And I've had a popup asking me to Rate the game on iTunes five times already.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Parkingtigers posted:

Just dropped $20 on Panzer Corps...So yeah, premium priced game with premium priced DLC. Off to invade Poland.

Have fun storming the castle! Please stop back by after a few hours of play and let us know your thoughts. I'm hoping
it might scratch the itch for a portable hearts of iron.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Campbell posted:

Used. Mine's SkTZYNxh1J

Used, Mine is sVDOoVu8EP

e: for content. If I pulled a 4star Leaf Enchantress is that good to keep going or should I re-roll and try for a 5 star?

Gegil fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 13, 2014

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

opaopa13 posted:

The mechanics are fun, but if there's really no way of getting unrefined dice without paying for them, it looks like it will get really grindy, really fast. I'm fine with "free" games that clearly expect to you drop a one-time fee (in this case, either for some kind of daily unrefined dice chance, or the chance to exchange gold for unrefined dice), but this looks like they're hoping to constantly nudge into buying just a few more unrefined dice, all the time.

I just tried out the PVP and noticed that there are rewards you can unlock. The first tier rewards have an item that increases the drop rate of items. I can't see what the higher level PVP rewards are yet but its possible they have shard rate drop increase items too.

Wayward Souls segway
Thanks alot you dirty enablers. Your feedback made me feel better about dropping $5 on a good game.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

opaopa13 posted:

Oh, that's interesting. I haven't gotten to PvP yet.

Rank 1 PVP rewards cost 500 coins each

All Heroes will have 20% less chance of rolling a one on their first dice roll
Loot Drops will have a 2% greater chance of containing dice shards
Reward Slot 1 allows the adventurer to store an additional monster

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
^sent invite

The Royal Scrub posted:

Anyone else purchase WH40k: Carnage? I guess you need friends for the multiplayer missions that reward better currency.

I picked it up too but I've not yet figured out how to add friends for the fire teams.

e: Devs confirm that fire team missions require Facebook friends that play this game. Time to make a throw away account.

Gegil fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 11, 2014

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
Has anyone gotten firefights (Multiplayer) to work in 40k Carnage?

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Sad lions posted:

They've got to be loving kidding me...

They've added ads for Civ Rev 2 to XCOM

Is there any sort of ad-blocker for iOS? something like a local hosts file maybe?

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Yodzilla posted:

I should have figured stuff like this exists. :saddowns:

I would rather pay for my apps with :10bux: than my precious data cap.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Yodzilla posted:

I'm thinking about my next game being a no-ad, 99 cent deal. Honestly curious about how well it would work.

you could always divide it down the middle and put a 99 cent iAP to turn off adds.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

lolasaurusrex posted:

I've put about three hours into it at this point. I think the game is good, in that it is very similar to Pokemon, but it does have some pretty major down sides. Despite the developers being very vocal on Toucharcade's forums about how the microtransactions wouldn't have a major impact on the gameplay, they turned out to be very pervasive. A lot of the very rare monsters can only be easily attained by purchasing eggs, which can only be bought using diamonds, which is the games premium currency.

There doesn't seem to be any way to earn diamonds in-game, so the game is effectively pay-to-win. Players who sink a lot of money into the game are going to have a major advantage in the multiplayer, as they'll have all the best monsters right off the bat. I can't be sure yet, but it's also implied during the tutorial that any monsters you buy using the egg system are more powerful than their wild-caught equivalents.

They have also made the store, the egg store, and your current balance of diamonds major parts of the interface. The entire top bar is dedicated to premium features, no matter where you are in the game, or what menu you are in. I also just noticed that you can use diamonds to purchase the in-game currency. If you are grinding out common monsters you have caught, you go through potions faster than you can reasonably buy them from NPC vendors, so it seems like this is another system designed to funnel you into the cash shop.

Personally, I'd have much rather they'd charged a premium for the game and had no cash shop. It just makes the game seem seedy, at least to me. I can't see this game replacing Siralim as the best monster capturing game on the App Store.

I will say that the game is absolutely gorgeous. It is significantly better looking than any of the Pokemon game, even X and Y.

Micromon was made by the same company that made Dragon Island Blue & Hunter Island. The IAP menu is way bigger in this game, but the other two they put out you could legit finish 100% w/o any IAP. I hope that there is a way to earn eggs by completing dungeons or weekly missions like in the other two.

vv Yeah if you troll the hunter island forums they talk about it here http://www.hunterislandforum.com/index.php/topic/85-micromon/
And yeah the grind. if you didn't find a sweet spot for leveling monsters it took forever.

Gegil fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

greasyhands posted:

Not sure I'm going to get into Starborn Anarkist, but beating skyforce has left a void in my life so I must try.

referral: E2MWU

Do the wing guns ever angle outward any? Do you ever get to launch more than one missile at a time w/ upgrades?

• Locked thread