Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

goatface posted:

Yeah, but I thought nobody actually expected him to do well.

From what I've read he has a real chance because he's vocal against Obama's campaign of terror in NW Pakistan (unlike the current regime) and isn't corrupt (unlike just about every politician in the Indian subcontinent).

Also RIP CMJ. Why couldn't it have been Agnew instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

lol at Dhoni playing for his average.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

India were around ~100 for 5 and needed a very getable run rate of 6 per over. Dhoni played negatively and blocked his way to a pointless 50 and effectively forced his lesser partners to give away their wickets when they tried to compensate for his negativity.

It was the kind of innings Indian fans were used to from Tendulkar when he was captain.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Asterisk Shane Warne's wickets column as well.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Siddle has a girlfriend??

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

SHUT THE gently caress UP IAN CHAPPELL

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Billy Bowden is so poo poo.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Nice match-fixing end to this series.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I tuned into the match near the middle, but seeing the Indians celebrate a dead rubber like they just won another world cup was hilarious. And then to give the MOTM to a guy who's played for his average this series and continues to be a poo poo wicketkeeper.

On top of that, Billy Bowden gave two terrible LBW decisions that were instrumental in India's win (alongside a couple of the Pak players possibly getting paid from bookies).

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

This is all just reminding of the time South Africa had a chance to get Australia all out for under 20 runs and messed it up. :(

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Dernbach's a good T20 bowler but he doesn't have the consistency to play the longer forms effectively. He can't seem to bowl a consistent line so becomes easy to score runs off during the start and middle of games.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

What's worse is that there were people in this thread saying things like "only two years in prison????"

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Hussey deserves it for putting the IPL ahead of his own country.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I was watching the highlights of the ODI and there was another big moment of cheating from the Aussies.

A Sri Lankan bowler bowls a great bouncer that clearly hits Starc's glove and then ricochet's off his helmet and the fielder takes a simle catch. Starc takes off his helmet and smilingly waves it towards the umpire to dupe him.

There's going to be a lot of this nonsense from them during the Ashes. Hope the ICC choose strong umpires.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I watched the highlights and from the camera angle it looked quite obvious Starc gloved it and Mark Taylor was in booth shouting "AHHH, THAT'S HIT HIS GLOVE. IT LOOKS LIKE IT HIT HIS GLOVE"

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

McCullum is such a moron. He's like a New Zealand Afridi in ODIs.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

If he's good enough, he could conceivably play alongside his dad in the West Indies test team. A father and son playing in a test match together surely has to be a first.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

As great as Steyn is as a test bowler, he's never managed to become a great limited overs bowler.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Steyn's the kind of bowler who revels in taking wickets and he can't ever be accused of not putting maximum effort into each match. I don't think he has enough variety to be a truly great limited overs bowler at the international stage (although, TBF, that never hurt McGrath).

Like each South African team for the last couple of decades, he has one game plan that he's going to stick to no matter what the circumstances. South African cricket seems to be inherently conservative and that's one of the reasons they can't seem to win an ODI tournament.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Don't know how he'll end up as a coach, but he was comfortably England's best batsman for nearly ten years. Scored runs in both forms of the game in a harder era for batting as well.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

No-one outside of India will miss India if they disappear from the international game.

All they have to offer the cricketing world at the moment is a backwards attitude and poo poo cricket.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Gorn Myson posted:

I can't stop laughing how pathetic this is.

It's also important to laugh at Matt Prior for not getting picked again because his tweets when leaving India after the test series were sickeningly sycophantic and desperate.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21363100

quote:

The use of banned drugs in Australian professional sport is "widespread", a year-long investigation has found.

The Australian Crime Commission (ACC) said scientists, coaches and support staff were involved in the provision of drugs across multiple sporting codes, without naming any individuals.

In some cases, the drugs were supplied by organised crime syndicates, it said.

Home Affairs Minister Jason Clare said the findings were "shocking and will disgust Australian sports fans".

Pretty much confirming what we all knew for years.

Looking forward to the records of Warne, McGrath, Hayden, Ponting, etc. being wiped out from the books.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Pakistan have one of the worst batting lineups in test cricket. They're even worse on any track with even the tiniest bit of seam movement.

Teams like England or South Africa running through their batters at home means very little, apart from the quick bowlers having the opportunity to shave a few numbers of their averages.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Ajmal owns, and it's always nice to see the South Africans getting reamed at home (even if it is for one innings). Even if his doosra is suspect, who cares?

Murali and Harbhajan had long careers with similar actions, Warne took 1001 international wickets with the help of steroids, Ashley Giles only got to play at the international level because of politics, etc. etc.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

According to the science people, 'no'.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

While I don't agree Ajmal is the victim of racism today, when reverse swing was hitting the news in the early-90s, there was a disgusting racist undercurrent in the English media when Waqar and Wasim were running through the English batsmen in England. Maybe most of the posters in this thread aren't old enough to remember that series twenty years ago, but I recall all the idiocy that went on in that series vividly.

I don't have a problem at all with Ajmal. If Murali and Harbhajan Singh have had full careers with questionable doosra actions, then I'm fine with Ajmal. Batsmen have it too easy these days.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Also, if Murali and Ajmal passed the biomechanics tests, the ICC had little choice but to let them continue to bowl their doosras. They have to base their decisions on the available science rather than "I'm a dickhead from the internet and that guy is a loving CHUCKER" logic.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Cocksmith posted:

Wasim later admitted to ball tampering.

They were undoubtedly 'ball tampering', but that wasn't the point. As just about every experienced cricketer of the past pointed out, ball tampering had been rife in international cricket and county cricket for over half a century. The Pakistanis were just unfortunate their mastery of reverse swing and inswinging yorkers caused every cameraman to focus on each of them for the entire match.

As soon pictures and a video arose of a player raking their nails down the side of the ball, there was outrage and it was even headline news on the BBC and every newspaper in the country. Cue lots of "you'd never see this kind of thing from are English lads", "cheating is a part of their culture", "they're only beating England because they cheat", and followed up by dozens of veiled racist articles in the English press.

Looking back at that series now, I'm less surprised there was such a furore. That test series began just a few years after the racist riots of the late-80s that were aimed at Asians.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

serious gaylord posted:

Their test isnt good enough and doesnt measure them under match conditions so they cheat it.

You should relay your concerns to the University of Western Australia, the institution that tested Murali and Ajmal.

"We use a big enough sports hall so the bowler can make his typical run-up and bowl a full-length delivery. It is important to replicate what it is like in the middle as best we can.
There are stumps to aim at but no batsman and we use synchronised footage of the player bowling in a match to check that they are not just going through the motions or altering their style. They have to replicate the speed of a delivery from a match, the deviation and the revolutions of the ball.

When being tested, the bowler is topless and has reflective markers all over his bowling arm, so the 3D, high-speed cameras can film him from every angle. On TV, what you see is an optical illusion because the pictures are only 2D so the angle you see is often very different from the reality. We then check if the arm is bent more than the permitted 15 degrees, which we decided was appropriate as anything under that would be hard to see with the naked eye."

From Dr Paul Hurrion, the ICC's head biomechanics analyst on why it's scientifically unsound to ban someone on the evidence of 2D pictures.

Followed up by:

"Of course, until technology is good enough to have X-ray cameras from the boundary at a live game we can’t ever be 100 per cent sure that our testing is perfect. I’m sure in 10 years’ time there will be the technology to test as the game is happening."

So, the reality is, until there are expensive X-ray cameras at stadiums, you have to take the word of the scientists and their testing conditions for Murali and Ajmal were robust with current technology.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Lionel RichTea posted:

I'm of the school of thought that a doosra probably can't be done without chucking, but it's just marginal enough that it should be allowed.

I agree. The doosra has added an extra dimension to off spin and most off spinners coming out of the subcontinent can bowl it.

English cricket should wise up and we should start teaching our younger bowlers the delivery. There's no reason not to hire Saqlain Mushtaq or Murali as a spin bowling coach.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

This is obviously false? As long as the arm isn't being significantly foreshortened 2d images are perfectly sufficient to measure from.

Rather than getting into discussing focal lengths, barrel distortion, etc. they might as well just fire a LIDAR scanner during the delivery.

Rollie Fingers fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 16, 2013

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Speaking of English chuckers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7xFk7oCZgw

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

You can't really fault the Pak bowlers, can you? Probably the best all around attack in the world, but it has to be depressing to have all your work undone by dog poo poo batsmen and wicketkeepers.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I see drug testing in English cricket is very thorough and a resounding success:

quote:

Surrey cricketer Tom Maynard was a regular cocaine user in the months leading up to his death, Westminster Coroner's Court has heard.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21588586

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Watching any South African team trying to play limited overs cricket is a hilarious experience.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

That was the slowest inswinging yorker I've ever seen. Like watching a fatter Mark Ealham bowling a slow ball.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Hamish is the most inbred sounding name in existence.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Paul Collingwood is such a cretin.

"They've got a great, great bowling attack...Starc, Mitchell"

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Stuart Broad sings this to himself while standing naked in front of a mirror: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLvvLtt99Lc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Let's not start hailing him as the next Viv Richards because he tonked around a piss poor bowling attack on a slow wicket. The guy is 27 already, his average in ODIs is 13 and his first-class record is quite modest. Australia are just a horrifically terrible team.

• Locked thread