Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know what the best part about war in EU3 is? It's being constantly spammed with peace deals from lovely landlocked OPMs, demanding that I give them all my money and release all my vassals and cancel all my alliances. I sure hope war and peace are a lot different in EU4!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was under the impression you can't make an "all unciv" game of V2 because Machine Parts and Cement and other such key materials are only ever produced by factories, which means if it weren't for the UK being the single Machine Parts producer at the very start of the game, no one would ever be able to industrialize*.

* compared to V1 where certain techs granted you single-shot infusions of Machine Parts that you can then use to build factories.

Anything that can be produced in factories can be produced by artisans, although I think you still have to research the tech that activates those goods.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AI Ottomans: Dumber than a sack of bricks.

Seriously how does this even happen.

(yes, that's Morocco in Sinope :shepface:)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Not only did AI Morocco somehow conquer Cornwall and Glamorgan, but they've also managed to hold onto them long enough for them to become Moroccan cores. This loving game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The best thing is the Ottomans conquering Rhodes and then releasing the (now Muslim) Knights Hospitaller as a vassal state.

e: In my current game Trebizond broke free of the Ottomans as a Muslim emirate, they now control all of Greece.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 7, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Or my other favorite thing is when a nation conquers some provinces and then later loses its original holdings, and you get something like Castille in Anatolia but not Iberia. Or the picture I posted a few days ago of Poland taking a stroll through the Asian steppes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Ottomans are basically proto-France in 1399. They've got pretty decent manpower already, and they get the +50% MP national idea on top of that. They also have the best units in the world at the time. Unfortunately for them, the AI is usually too stupid to a) conquer Thrace ASAP, even with the mission to do so, b) reconquer the Turkish beyliks that they have cores on, and c) not get eaten by the Timurids. Although I guess that's kind of historically accurate. Bayezid was killed by Timur, which precipitated a 20-year succession war between his three sons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The sad thing is it had some pretty neat ideas but they were implemented in a terrible way. There was a pretty active mod scene for a while that managed to turn it into an almost fun game, but it's completely dead now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nolanar posted:

I'm playing through EUIII for the first time (as Castille), and I have a couple questions.

Inflation: is there anything I can do about it besides having the right advisor and the national back idea? Just keeping my budget balanced lets it creep up steadily, and stops me from doing much else.

Are royal marriages just a waiting game, in the hopes that somebody will have a weak claim, our is there anything I can do about it. Not having my CK2-style murder button makes me feel a bit listless here.

I'm guessing the game will eventually give me a mission to take Aragon and become Spain, judging from the missions I've gotten so far. Is that about right?

Having small amounts of inflation is not a huge issue. As a general rule of thumb, anything under 10% is fine, and at 20% it becomes a problem. There are other ways to reduce it. Each step towards Centralization gives you .015 yearly reduction. Also when you move your sliders towards Free Citizens, one of the three events gives you an instant 2% inflation reduction.

Unfortunately for you, Castille does not get a non-generic mission to conquer Aragon. Getting a personal union is difficult and unreliable unless you get a claim right off the bat like in Kersch's LP. Otherwise you'll pretty much have to brute force your way. One way to do it is to get them excommunicated, but even that depends on them being on bad terms with the Pope. And you'll still have to wait for the provinces to core.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ZearothK posted:

Goes to the stockpile. Remember that demand is actually not equivalent to the ability to acquire goods from the market and your tariffs might be too high for those who are supposed to be buying the cement. Your factory is having problems with profits because you don't have ready access to coal (and your tariffs are making imported coal more expensive for the capitalists who own the factory), either conquer somewhere that has it or sphere them if you are a great power. Madagascar is a great source if you can invade them before France event-annexes the country.

This is incorrect. Unsold goods just plain vanish, never to be seen again. The only time goods enter your stockpile is if you have an order set for those goods, and if that's the case then they're not unsold (you're buying them). One of the many reasons V2's trade system is stupid and not fun. The rest of what Zearoth said is correct though. The best way to industrialize is to use exported goods to create imported goods. So if you're exporting a lot of glass and grain, and your POPs are importing a lot of liquor, then you should build a distillery. You can see what goods are being exported and imported on the "activity" portion of the trade screen.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Riso posted:

2) gently caress the Hapsburgs

On the battlefield, or in the bedroom? Because they did a lot of both.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You should probably start a countdown until he purges all the vile Swedish liquors from his system.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Almost definitely not, but anyone feel free to correct me.

Also quit crying and go vassalize Bohemia by force :getin:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I was thinking more Dwarf Fortress, for unprecedented levels of excruciating detail. It would be the first Paradox game to run slower than real time, too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"THIS" in paradoxese is a reference call to the country in question. I'm pretty certain that if you want to do what you say, you should just add the line "base_tax = 1" to the effect section.

e: yeah, get rid of those brackets around the line

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Positioning is pretty much just what percentage of the cannons in your fleet are pointed at the enemy. If you've got 100 cannons in your fleet and 30% positioning, your effective firepower is only 30 cannons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nolanar posted:

Is there any advantage to having little boats, if you have the money to build big ones?

The only advantage to galleys is that they're cheap as gently caress. Obviously one galley is not going to beat one carrack, but five galleys possibly could (especially if you're fighting in the Mediterranean). Generally what I do when I'm building up my navy is build galleys up to my force limit and then start building carracks to replace them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It allows you to pass the church taxes decision even if you're Catholic? I figure it would be something you could do if you're already on bad terms with the church.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

4) The player should be able to say "gently caress this faction poo poo we're changing government forms to something reasonable" like literally every other country on the planet is able to.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Maybe it should be harder for them as well. China was so deeply ingrained with its tradition and internal politics, that reform was very difficult. My point was that they should make the faction system actually fun to play in and not something that makes you go "gently caress this faction poo poo."

Well yeah, that's what stability hits are supposed to represent. If England can transition from a feudal monarchy to a constitutional republic in just 7 stab hits, why can't China get rid of its terrible government?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jakse posted:

Looking at the PDM, is it any good? Sounds like it makes some smart changes but I like having more sensible unification paths (their words) and events. Do most Vicky 2 fans like it?

Edit: realized it is my only paradox game not running on steam.

It has some good and bad aspects. The economy changes are pretty nice, but the military unit changes are stupid, like messing around with support and maneuver values.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DrProsek posted:

Thanks for the help everyone! What I'm getting here is that each state needs 4% clergy, so drop lower class tax and use NFs to boost Clergy in all provinces (does primary culture matter? Should I be focusing on only boosting literacy for Poles, or any high pop province; Galicia-Lodomeria is high pop but it's mostly Ukranians).

Also I'm guessing that there's no way to remove Prussian or Russian cores on my provinces :(. Oh well, if it bothers me that much I can always edit the saves so provinces I control no longer have foreign cores or mod a decision to also remove Prussian, Russian, and Austrian cores on all provinces with a Polish core, make it open to Poland if it becomes a great power with soandso military and prestige scores.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

You should pretty much be squeezing as much money from your lower classes as you can at all times. The amount of people who would promote to clergymen by being able to save up money is going to be a tiny trickle, no matter how much you lower their taxes. You can also raise you middle class taxes as high as you want, because with the exception of clerks, all middle class salaries come from the state anyway. And you'll definitely want to max out your upper class taxes to make your useless aristocrats demote to clergy.

So what I'm saying is max taxes on everybody all the time!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DrProsek posted:

Huh, I always learned when you want a certain pop badly, lower taxes to encourage lower classes to promote faster. Keep forgetting the golden rule "Tax until they barely want to revolt". Does tax rate affect immigration at all or is there no reason to turn my nation into a peasant version of a tax haven?

The only thing tax rates directly affect is how much POPs get paid. That's it. They'll gain militancy if they can't acquire their basic needs, but high taxes don't necessarily cause that, and low taxes don't necessarily prevent that.

And like I said, POP promotion happens very slowly, and the amount of money a POP has saved up is only a small factor in the rate.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The most exciting thing about The Old Gods for me is the 867 start date. That suddenly makes CK2 the longest paradox game timeline-wise, at almost 600 years.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

But we all know that Tupac is alive and well in Serbia!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

catlord posted:

Is there a version of the Dark Continent Scenario for Vanilla? I'm still learning the game but I want to poke around with an alternate scenario. Also, the idea of westernising weirds me out. I don't like the idea of having to end up next to a western nation, especially when it seems real gamey, like running to Africa as Korea so you can end up next to Portugal or something.

Yeah, pretty much, the bordering thing is the dumbest aspect of it. In my last Ottomans game, I had all the requirements I needed for westernizing, except for bordering an advanced nation, because my economy was so good that I was still more advanced or on par with most of Europe. Holland was 20 tech levels ahead of me, though, so I just buttered them up and sold them one of my non-core provinces. Bam, instant westernization.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

Is Kersch's miscmods compatible with the most recent EU3 5.2 beta?

I believe it was made specifically for 5.2, but don't quote me on that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The flag thing isn't as bad as country names staying the same, like the Ottomans if the Ottomans get kicked off the throne.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bloodly posted:

I appreciate where you're coming from somewhat, but half the damm point is that you/the AI can ensure it doesn't go that way. Events for forcing history to occur 'as it did' is pointless when the whole point is things can and probably will go differently.

Though it could be that I'm jumping on something only I see.

Then what you do is make events with two choices: one historical, and the other ahistorical. The player can choose between the two, but add the line "ai_chance = 100" to the historical option, which forces the AI to take it every time. That way a player Great Britain can keep the empire together if he wants, but if you're not playing GB you don't have to constantly deal with the eternal British megalith.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's AD 1430, and by an incredible stroke of luck I just inherited all of Egypt.

I'm not even sure where to go with this now, I have so many possibilities. The Timurids gave me the fight of my life in the opening decade because Timur decided to cling to life a lot longer than usual, and I'm still kind of reeling from that.

First order of business I think should be taking over the Black Sea littoral. Then I guess it's a coin flip over expanding eastward or westward.

Westernizing is going to be a bitch, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So here's the Ottoroman Empire after about a hundred years:

The North African Coast and Hedjaz were all inherited through PUs, so they're all cored. Probably going to take over the rest of Arabia, the south into Swahili lands for the ivory provinces, and then push further up into Italy. From that point it's all Imperial territory, and Austria is still giving me a tough fight even after modernizing. Comedy option: Ottoman North America.

Of course at this point I discovered that somehow my ruler's dynasty somehow became Zayyanid (from Algiers). I could probably fix that in the save file, but :qq: my immersion :qq:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bishop Rodan posted:

Is that Burgundy in Scotland?

And the light of Islam must be spread to the New World!

Yeah, Burgundy inherited Scotland and Bavaria about 50 years ago.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

I can't wait for CK2

Well that's good because it's been out for a whole year!

e: Guess I misread that, but Clausewitz 2.0 is already the new engine? I'm confused.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It would be nice if there was a compromise between having excruciating detail over every shiftless noble bum in your court and "welp, your 9/8/9 heir just suddenly died, and for whatever reason the only person who can take the throne now is the bastard you just pumped into a whore."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You really don't have to worry about marriages for anyone you don't care about. Characters might have the "get married" ambition but that doesn't mean you have to do anything about it. If they're family, they might request you do something about it, but you can just ignore them with a click. Education shouldn't be a huge problem either unless you're letting all all your worthless, non-council courtiers get married.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

What's the deal with Napoleonic games with pictures of Napoleon that don't look anything like him? Seriously? Is there some kind of weird Napoleonic copyright going on that you can't actually have an accurate artistic representation of the guy?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Napoleon's left leg wasn't five feet long.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Smirr posted:

OK, that makes sense with an actually functional upper house. But in my case, it was Ruling Party Only and every January 1st went back to being 100% fascist. Surely those guys should know that if they want to turn the country into a fascist dictatorship, which they do once the proper 'reforms' are in place, they need to go all the way. It feels silly that 20% of them would suddenly decide that Weighted Universal Voting is close enough to their goal of no one getting a vote.

But I guess fascism is kind of a special case in this game, since it appears very late and you're probably going to be well down the line of political reforms anyway, which makes a democratic transition to a fascist dictatorship stand out that much more. When your country turns into a presidential dictatorship 10 years down the line because for some reason the reactionaries got voted into power, you don't notice it that much because everything is already in place for the transition.

It makes sense. Just because you appoint them doesn't mean they'll agree with you 100% on everything. They might not want a full fascist dictatorship, maybe they just want to disenfranchise the unwashed proles. But it's moot because you purge replace them at the end of the year.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

So I grabbed that EUIII Chronicles game posted earlier, is there a instructive LP to give me a clue about how to play?

http://lparchive.org/Europa-Universalis-III-Divine-Wind/

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Paradox City Planning: From Los Angeles to Stockholm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bastastic posted:

How do I get jacobin rebels in AHD? I'm playing as Brazil and having a real hard time becoming a major industrial power because no one migrates to my country because I'm still a HMs government. I have colonized more than my fair share of Africa so I've got a lot of resources, a lot of money and pretty much everything required to industrialize properly other than workers.

Jacobins are pissed-off liberals and anarcho-liberals, so do your best to piss them off. You want your militancy, consciousness, literacy, and plurality to all be high. Having high infamy and war exhaustion can also contribute to this.

Of course, since you're colonizing Africa, you're far enough along in the game that you're much more likely to get communist rebels than Jacobins.

• Locked thread