Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Kavak posted:

This began with Divine Wind and its horribly implemented "Call to Arms" system, as far as I can tell.

IIRC the AI's always had delusions of granduer when it domes to peace deals, DW only increased the number of demands you had to put up with. The AI is quite adorable at times, when they get deluded like that I imagine the AI rulers as being like Hitler in the last days of WW2- ordering offensives with imaginary armies, convinced that they're winning because no one will dare tell them otherwise.

The Paradox AI is in many ways impressive if you assume it's trying to emulate an inbred nobility shielded from reality and convinced of its own brilliance, we just haven't appreciated Paradox's genius in this area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Nightblade posted:

Scotland can roll right over England at the start of the grand campaign with a little luck, due to an event that gives them 12 regiments in the Highlands province and some modifiers they get when they are at war with England. Milan is somewhat hard as a new player because Austria usually gets a mission to conquer a couple of your provinces. If you want to play as Wales you can start as England, release them as a vassal and cancel the vassalization before saving and loading up as them again, but that would be a pretty hard game for a new player. I think Castille is the preferred choice for a new player wanting to learn the game.

Does the player get that event as Scotland? I've always thought it was one of those bullshit AI balancing events designed to keep AI Scotland alive for at least a fraction of its historical lifespan and prevent a player from crushing them within 6 months of the game starting.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

AI Ottomans: Dumber than a sack of bricks.

Seriously how does this even happen.

(yes, that's Morocco in Sinope :shepface:)

I don't know what it is with the AI Ottomans but I've never seen them even unify Anatolia, let alone get anywhere near their historical borders. Between that, the Timurid collapse leading to some hideous borders and the inevitable Mamluk implosion that whole part of the world always seems to be a complete mess.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
I dunno if it counts because I caused it but I did force Navarre to relocate to Alabama one time. Doing a Roman Empire game is such a pain in the rear end once the Europeans start colonising...

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

You know what would make EU4 the best game ever? Bringing back Falalalan. That song was awesome.

Maybe with their new system Paradox will sell it as DLC and make a mint off their dedicated fanbase.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Baloogan posted:

I kinda like CK2's and HOI3's DLC.

Can't comment on HOI3 but CK2's DLC is pretty awesome with some good expansions and the cosmetic stuff serving as a good way to tip, I just think Paradox's rabid fanbase is endlessly interesting/amusing.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Cycloneman posted:

Who do you plan to play as first when you get EU4? I'm going to play as the Inca and die horribly to the brutality of racist Swedes making it impossible for me to win. What about y'all?

I shall wait until there are at least 5 mods out which rectify Paradox's inevitable inability to do justice to the glory of the Eastern Roman Empire and then choose between them. (Seriously England, because nationalism/I know how to play them).

And I'm amazed Paradox are continuing with the Horde mechanics. I've never heard anyone say they're anything but awful, are the Paradox forums telling them it's good or something?

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
You've also got a stronger Ottomans who don't have Timur threatening them so Byzantium's even more hosed and Zheng He's long dead so exploring as Ming might be frustrated depending on how much Paradox plan on screwing them over.

Crameltonian fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 27, 2013

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
I've seen things like that happen a fair few times in EU3+, there was also one time in Miscmods when the electors took the 'Holy' part a little too literally.

And he took over from the King of Cascadia, the electors apparently decided to conduct elections by getting drunk and voting for whichever candidate seemed most amusing at the time.

e: This was also the game which saw the Teotl Republic of Great Britain:

And Jewish Spain:

As the Papacy I probably should have brought them back to the True Faith but I found them far too adorable to crush. Miscmods could produce some pretty crazy poo poo at times.

Crameltonian fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 10, 2013

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

DrProsek posted:

:stare: dat Gotland. Was that you or did Sweden somehow manage to implode on its own? Also if I may ask, any tips for playing the Papcy like that? I could never manage to do better than securing a small North African colony in most of my games as them.

Random unrelated thing but has Paradox said anything about converting your state's culture in EUIV? I'm really hoping my Teutonic Order -> Russia games are still possible :ohdear:.

Sweden actually managed to form Scandinavia before imploding all on its one, IIRC it and Britain managed to get into a mutually self-destructive war. As you can see most of the great powers in that game had... issues with rebels. Seems to happen a lot with Miscmods, Britain almost always implodes with or without my help.

The advice above is good, I'd also suggest joining the HRE so you don't get the Emperor stomping on you every time you want to attack a member. Also if you can get an alliance with Austria one Day one, you definitely want them on your side/at least not against you. Beyond that yeah, it's all a matter of opportunism so the first few decades may be a little frustrating.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
If the Swedes want the Taklamakan Desert that badly then I say let them have it, lunatics like that can't be reasoned with.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

I own all of them. :suicide: So I've certainly learned my lesson about buying everything that has a Paradox logo on it to 'support' them.

Paradox have made a number of excellent games but that doesn't mean they deserve our undying loyalty, because they've also been responsible for many games of... lesser quality. I'll buy March of the Eagles if it turns out to be a good game just as I'm sure many people here will but if we buy everything Paradox make regardless of quality it's not showing our support, it's showing that they can throw out any old crap and still make money off it. I'll definitely be getting EU4 because that genuinely looks like a drat good game but I'm a lot more sceptical about their other products these days.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
If the newspaper system ends up working it'll be a pretty awesome step forward for Paradox games. I have the habit of ignoring anything not directly relevant to my country for years on end then looking up to find out entire empires have risen and fallen while I wasn't looking, and it's often bloody hard to try to piece together what exactly happened. It's obviously a challenging because of how complex their games are and how many countries are running about doing their thing but I hope something like this gets put into all their games from now on. :allears:

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Torabi posted:

Is it just me or does it feel like there is a lot more actual combat present in EvW? At least if you play as some of the larger countries? I mean sure, the Vietnam war and stuff should be present if you are playing as the US but there is nothing grand like WWII where Hitler decided to take over the world. All t he more reason to try and do it yourself then maybe?

Maybe it's going to end up being a Tom Clancy World sim. That'd be a pretty cool game, just not what I expect from a Cold War game- the developers seem to have done all their research on the period by reading technothrillers and obsessing over armament specs.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

a bad enough dude posted:

Pretty disappointing to see the entire EvW paradox subforum obsessed with military minutiae rather than, y'know, the actual cold war. Well, I guess if that's what the customers want...

Seems to vary from thread to thread tbh. The latest Dev Diary thread is full of obsessives shouting down anyone who dares to utter a critical word as a troll but in other threads I've seen a ton of people point out that they've actively avoided showing anything of the political, economic or diplomatic systems.

Aaaand the release date's been changed from Q2 to 'TBC'. Apparently it's been 'slightly delayed'. The forum's freaking out about this being the next Magna Mundi which honestly I sorta want to happen now, it'd be hilarious.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Cityinthesea posted:

maybe that's the stuff that'll be out closer to release? I assume that's the more exciting stuff to the majority of the potential audience for the game.

If that's the case then you think they'd at least show some of the stuff mentioned in that article. That'd surely do a lot to excite people about the game and head off the nervous speculation taking place in this thread and elsewhere.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
I guess I could understand the criticism of Sunset Invasion if Paradox were somehow forcing every CK2 owner to download it and play with it installed. As it is it's just a fun little DLC that those who want to can use and everyone else can ignore, it doesn't really seem worth getting that worked up about.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
Most history classes do focus on the history of the country they're being taught in and honestly history isn't a priority for most schools so you have to pick and choose what to teach- at one point I was getting an hour's worth of history a week so it's hardly surprising they focused on stuff like the World Wars.

I was interested in history well before I got into Paradox games, EU2 definitely got me to look into a lot more world history than I had before. I had a vague idea that Germany and Italy hadn't always been united for example but knew gently caress all about them otherwise, I got really into Indian history too after playing an Indian game.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

ZearothK posted:

It was made to simulate the warlord period. You could just delete the event if you can find it. Not sure what file it is in, but look inside \A Pop Divided\Events\SomethingWithChinaInTheName.txt and see what looks promising. They are usually well documented, so a search for "warlord" should point you in the right direction.

They railroad you into the Warlord Era even if China's a fully modernised Great Power? I thought pretty much everyone agreed after EU2 that historical railroading was a pretty awful and unfun mechanic...

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

There actually seem to be multiple 'gently caress China' events, because while playing PDM/APD as other countries and sitting back and watching, the country fragments into new, just-appeared-out-of-nowhere revolters every single time it manages to reform and become a Great Power again. I've seen it civilize, become a GP, fragment into the warlord states, reunite, fragment into Qing China and Beiyang China, stabilize, had one of them reach Great Power status, and then they immediately fragmented again into Qing China and Nationalist China. Cyclone's probably right in that they exist to keep China from being too powerful and loving everyone, but you know what, in a single-player game, I don't really have a problem with the player being able to become ridiculously powerful and gently caress everyone. Maybe keep the events in, but make it so they only have a chance to fire for an AI-controlled China?

Yeah, I get that Paradox games need some way to restrain China (except HoI where history did the job nicely for them) but I don't like the trend of making China more or less unplayable and then repeatedly slapping the player in the face if they dare to try and have fun playing it. If someone wants to play as China and utterly break the game I don't see why they should be punished for it.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
So the best argument in favour of EvW right now is 'well they might show us some good stuff at some point in the future?' Sadly that's not a massively convincing argument, particularly as everything we have scene gives is no indication that this good stuff is actually coming- they're clearly far more interested in weapons minutiae than the political/espionage aspects of the Cold War.You know, that stuff that makes the Cold War the Cold War. And honestly what we've seen of the political system was so badly explained that I'm not 100% sure how it actually works. Magna Mundi comparisons are hyperbole sure but I don't think the bar for a decent game should be set at 'did not implode as spectacularly as Magna Mundi'.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

*edit*
Did Elder Kings and the new AGoT actually drop yesterday or am I an April Fool?

Elder Kings actually released and seems perfectly playable, AGoT released this which I thought was pretty funny/could actually be interesting to play.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
Two new Dev Diaries out today: an EU4 one about Japan and an East vs West one about nukes

The EU4 one is pretty cool- Paradox seem to have realised that they hosed up with Japan in Divine Wind so they've completely reworked it, you can now play as one of 20 daimyos. They've also added a V2-esque scoring system where you gain points each month for one of the top 10 nations ranked by administration, diplomacy or military. The EU series has never really been able to implement a proper scoring system and while it's not really necessary it's quite a nice feature.

The EvW one on the other hand... :suicide:. They don't mention anything about nuclear brinkmanship/diplomacy at all, it's all about how they want you to be able to have 'limited' nuclear wars and the minutiae of the different types of nukes/how you'll be able to launch them. It might be an interesting little HOI add-on but I don't think it can be called a Cold War game at this point.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

quote:

Impact and effects

The effect of a missile’s impact depends on the type warhead in that specific model. Newer models don’t necessarily have greater impact; sometimes they provide greater range with a smaller nuclear footprint. Impact effects include decreasing the population, causing dissent in the target country, damaging the economy and destroying military units. Nuclear impacts damage neighboring provinces as well, but at a smaller percentage, as we figured close proximity nuclear explosions should rightfully be dangerous. Nuclear strikes will also cause diplomatic turmoil and expect your prestige to plummet.
It looks like they're basically just slightly more effective versions of HoI's tactical nukes. They are just making HoI with more nukes here which is fair enough I guess , but I'm pretty disappointed about what could have been.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
CK1/2, EU3/Rome, Victoria 1/2 and MotE (plus every expansion for those games minus The Old Gods) are now 75% off on Steam for today as part of their Daily Deal. I'm probably going to pick up MotE, the impression I get is that it's not a massively deep game but it's definitely worth £3.74.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Patter Song posted:

EDIT: I didn't think I'd have to worry about German troops showing up in this war due to my glorious ally Britain.

How did you assholes lose the entire Royal Navy?

You can't have been massively surprised when the British decided to prioritise oppressing the Irish above everything up to and including self-preservation. What's more amazing is the Germans seeing the Great Britain entirely undefended and deciding to go after the Isle of Man. The Paradox AI seems to be strangely obsessed with the place, when I played as Britain in MotE the French sacrificed all of their transports making suicide runs against the place despite it having no obvious strategic or economic value whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

So they don't want to do something like a Modern Era Victoria 2-like game, but zombies, space empires, and fantasy are all fair game? Why? Isn't the past 50 years era full of interesting history? Or do they just not have anyone on the team who is interested in recent history and current events?

I imagine it's less a lack of interest and more that they really don't want to deal with the shitstorm that would arise from any Paradox game about recent history/current events. We might want to see how the Paradox forums would react to a Yugoslav Wars scenario but they sure as hell don't.

e: drat, beaten with the exact same example. Should have known someone would beat me to the 'lol Balkan Paradox forumites' bit.

• Locked thread