Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Is it possible to remain independent as Navarre in EU3? Every time I play as them I almost immediately get conquered. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

ZearothK posted:

Antinumeric posted:

Is it possible to remain independent as Navarre in EU3? Every time I play as them I almost immediately get conquered. Any tips?
Re-start until Aragon gets a vassalize mission on you, lose the war, use your fantastic sliders to get ridiculous trade income, rush Quest for the New World (switch ideas when you hit Naval 7), make a colonial empire. If Castille is winning (and failing to properly annex Aragon), you should have an easy time getting independence in the mid 1550s and even grabbing some provinces, otherwise wait a bit more. Then murder some Americans, some Africans, some Indians, some Southeast Asians. By the 1600s you should be in position to conquer your way into France and/or Spain.

Works in Vanilla and MiscMods, not EU3+, as that places additional limitations on colonial efforts and trade. You really can't pull this off without exploiting game mechanics.

So no then. It's weird that it's independent for most of EU3's time frame, but the second you start a game they get absorbed immediately. It's like the second the game starts everyone goes war crazy.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 3, 2013

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Actually Finished a game of V2 as Korea last night. After escaping the yoke of China I plodded along for 100 years then the game ended. None of the AI fought each other, there were no great wars and it takes absolutely forever to become communist. I started all of my provinces promoting communist from the moment they appeared. Only in 1930 did a tiny revolution start, and I had to let that army take my capital rather than having an actual struggle.

It wasn't bad exactly. Just really bland.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

telcontar posted:

There's only so much they can do without access to the game code. Also he wasn't complaining about uncivs specifically.

Even if it's not particularly fun I would say it's still far more interesting than in vanilla, since there's a bunch of new events and decisions specifically for uncivs.

Yeah I might give PDM a shot. It was amazing though. Literally no colonies split off. France never claimed Brittany. Normandy belonged to the English. Other than that and the North German Federation (Germany, Poland, Lithuania) Europe was identical to it at the start.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Rudi Starnberg posted:

PDM is for vicky you know right? Whereas that sounds like eu3 you're talking about.

Oh I know. Europe looks more like the end of EU3 or even some start dates in CK2. Since none of the colonies broke off from the UK it was basically undefeatable.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
After the clusterfuck that was the Republic release I'm not surprised.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Graham Gremlin posted:

I just can't think of a way to model a bunch of Germanic tribes wandering around the map in a way that's easily presented to the player and actually enjoyable to play.

Have tribes have heavily limited populations, that grow veeery slowly. Have the amount of land you can control tied to your population. As you get harassed from one direction it makes sense to move away from it, abandoning old territory and settling new.

edit: losing battles lowers you population.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Koesj posted:

Turns out that after reaching lake Ladoga and taking Leningrad they somehow hit a snag: they hadn't called the Finns to arms so the little strip of land from Viborg northeast was being blocked by a dogged Soviet resistance one province deep and wide. With ample room for maneuver further up north, what does the AI do? Transfer a total of around 300 brigades of troops as an expeditionary force to neutral Finland and fail to have them join the war.

The idea of a million German men marching around Finland is hilarious. Looking back the population of Finland was ~4 million, so a 25% increase in population purely from the army just standing around. I can't even begin to imagine the logistics.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Jean Pony posted:

Perhaps I was unclear. Westernization is a two-step process. First you reform the government which brings the tech speed up to par and then you reform the military which gives you western units. Both steps are decisions with some requirements. For military modernization the requirements are:

Western tech group
Not Western military
Stability = 3
Centralization vs. Decentralization -5 or below
Have a ruler with administrative skills of 7 or more
Nation is not under the effect of Resisting Western Influences

After you've reformed the government but before you've reformed the military you will get events like merchants/peasants/nobles resist western influences. Now you get the choice to either ignore them and suffer worse and worse effects or you can listen to them, lose 2 prestige and get a 10 year modifier called resisting western influences. While that modifier is active you cannot reform the military. So get your affairs in order: max stability, max centralization and an adm 7 monarch. Until then: resist western influences!

This is the most counter-intuitive bullshit EU has thrown at me yet.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
It always amazes me how mad people get about alt-history in a game explicitly about creating your own alt-history.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Kainser posted:

There is a difference between plausible alternate history and "hey, this sounds cool!" alternate history.

But 99% of the stuff that happens in these games falls solidly into unplausible.

Unless you think that the Grand Duchy of Lithuania being conquered by 1100 is plausible, or Wales conquering the British Isles, or Brittany landing a few troops in the Holy Land on a crusade and turning it into the Merchant Republic of Jerusalem. I remember how the Finns trembled at the thought of the Sami reforming into the feudal system and conquering Scandanivia. It seemed so plausible.

Or the 1400 start of EU3 and the people who return the ERE from the brink.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 12, 2013

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

John Charity Spring posted:

Yeah, I'm in the position with Sunset Invasion where I don't want to use it in my own games because it's a little bit too goofy for what I want from CK2, but I like the fact that it exists.

I can get this. I like it because it provides some threat to the west half of the map. No-where is safe!

Also I tend to view CK2 as a simulation of some madcap version of Europe where everyone is bloodthirsty and insane.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Cynic Jester posted:

So I was durdling around in my China game, waiting for a truce to run out so I could conquer Johore for the last RPs I needed, and then the Heavenly Kingdom revolt happened. They had no units, so I sieged down everything and got 25k RP out of it because it seems to be based on population. Don't mind if I do.

China is absurd though, after I westernized, I had 100 battalions. My limit jumped to 758, which seems excessive. Oh, and being 3rd in Industry off the back of my single level 10 cloth factory in Beijing. I then queued up railroads in every province. The world is in a death spiral due to lack of steel and lumber. I reckon I'll be done with level 1 railroads in 5-10 years.

Got HoD last night, tried playing Japan, couldn't build any ships due to absolutely no trade goods. (It would take several decades to finish one) Any suggestions?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
CK2 sold because it actually has a user interface.

I actually cannot play EU3 because it is a nightmare trying to work out what the hell is actually going on. Also it is ugly as sin.

V2 is bearable, but the economy system in it and working out why things don;t work is a nightmare.

I wanted to play these games for so long and could only get started with CK2.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I was really disappointed in V2 when I was playing as the Zulus. I conquered the Boer states in before the UK declared war on me. I had enough research for foreign weapons and actually managed to beat the UK back. I had conquered all of South Africa but I guess since I was a unciv I could ask no concessions. I couldn't even ask for a white peace, I had to wait for them to offer one. It just felt really dumb.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 23, 2013

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Did anyone read the article at the bottom of that?

I can't wait to play Jomsvikings in EU4 with unique ideas.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

BillBear posted:

I thought the Jomsvikings were some holy order you couldn't play as in CK2? How will that work out. Hell they never even came around for me.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/07/31/crusader-kings-ii-to-europa-universalis-iv-save-converter-interview/

They are an unplayable holy order in CK2. They appear in 940 if the Norse own some provinces in Pomerania (Stettin for me). Apparently if they exist when you use the EUVI converter they become a country with unique national ideas. Mine only own a couple of provinces in hostile Tengri Pomerania but it should be a good laugh.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What would you want the nomads to be? Giant cavalry armies that are killer on the plains, are better at looting poo poo, have an easier time of building up army tradition, are better able to bounce back after a war, and have free conquest CB's seems pretty different from most other states. Really, they sound kinda like a land-oriented version of the Norse of CK2, which certainly isn't the worst thing.

How about giving nomadic peoples a population variable, making them so they can only control a certain amount of land and make the majority of the territory in those parts of Asia/Europe uninhabited. Using something similar to the colonisation mechanic (albeit faster) they can lose a territory in one place and advance it elsewhere, slowly moving the state around, representing changing patterns of migration. Population grows very slowly over time so they can influence more area, and if they change from being nomadic they settle down wherever they are. As other countries start colonising the wilderness in that area you feel more and more constrained until you have to settle down.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Reply to a thread on the Paradox forum about whether there's any reason to NOT kill off the natives, now that there's no population stat:

:stare:

I'm so happy that this thread exists.

The Paradox forums can be hilarious:

quote:

Marxism requires the utter elimination of the owning class, some one fifth of the total population at the bare minimum. In many regions half the population.

When called on it:

quote:

Are you denying the genocidal nature of marxism?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
As Venice in the demo Austria always seems to join against me in any war in Italy I start. Even though I am at +75 relations and allied with them. What can I do to stop this?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Usually you have to wait until the Emperor gets involved in an even bigger war so he'll ignore your transgressions.

Yeah I didn't check the imperial map mode, going for further down the peninsula worked fine. Then Ottoman DoW'd me and all my allies declined. Hmm.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Managed to get big enough as Venice to crush Austria in a war. Didn't quite get enough provinces to form Italy (still needed Lombardia). Just ten more years dammit.

I also got some event that gave me 1000 ducats :O. That really helped. I can't see how to afford the 3 rating advisers at all.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I had my best success with Venice by ignoring ships completely and building a huge army that my trade bonuses could support.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Baronjutter posted:

I find the fact that you are always behind in your chosen specialty not a good overall design. If you're going merchant then you'll be wanting to have high naval tech, trade ideas, and trade buildings, but those all come out of the same pool, which makes specializing results counter-intuitive. A merchant nation should nationally be top in merchant related things, not falling behind.

If dip related buildings gave a tiny boost to dip points it might help. Or if the tech system was totally gutted, leaving the points for buildings and ideas. I like the idea of these points but I'm not liking the results.

I tend to make investments into ideas something I do only when I am already ahead in that tech and I need to wait several years for the penalties to drop. Ideas go up incredibly slowly and the double weakness is really weird. Maybe if ideas were cheaper? The nations with 10% cheaper ideas are usually way better because of this, saving ~ 2200 points.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Hmm, if you vassalise someone in a war, you don't then join any wars they were a part of before you vassalised them. I just watched Croatia get reduced to a single province with nothing I could do about it.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Coalitions are annoying as poo poo, and it makes no sense that Hungary and Muscovy would spend about 100 years and hundreds of thousands of men defending Yemen.

At the very least, there needs to be a "Force Out of Coalition" peace option, because right now you've gotta sit and do nothing for years until they finally decide to leave it.

If you can beat a coalition they won't declare on you if you have a truce, so once you have beaten a coalition back you have absolutely no incentive not to declare as many wars as possible in the next 5 years.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I don't quite get the provinces thing in V2, so you have administrative areas with subdivisions, population is basically done at the focus level, so each individual provinces population doesn't really matter. Factories are also done at this level, so they don't really matter. So really it's just forts / railroad at province level. So why is population also divided to this level? I just started a game as Peru and it was really irritating to work out where I should put my focus. I couldn't make out country borders in province view, and switching between population view and province view was irritating.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

quote:

float daylyChance = float(1.0f - exp( log(0.5f) / MeanTimeToHappen ));
God bless.

Or is this Swedish?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I still cannot get over the land bridge actually historically existing..

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

DrSunshine posted:

It'd be nice if there was a more dynamic way of gaining and losing them, or changing the rate at which they are gained, to give it less of a feel of simply waiting around to be able to do anything.

When you get a bad ruler in CK2 there is stuff you can do about it. Ways to change the situation.
In EUIV you are completely at the mercy of the ruler you get. At least until you can afford the better advisers (so the first 100-150 years...).
I often just get the feeling of not being able to do anything for decades at a time in EUIV. There's so much more to do in the meantime when you play CK2.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

SeaTard posted:

There are huge periods of sitting around doing nothing in ck2 as well, unless you've decided to conquer the known world. EU4 is a very different game, but it has about the same ratio of doing stuff to waiting as CK2 does.

Hmm when I'm not expanding I'm dealing with some of the hundreds of characters, teaching my children, plotting, finding grooms / brides for my family, hosting entertaining feasts for my vassals so they don't rebel, building flying machines to improve my learning and all manner of other interesting poo poo. In EUIV, I feel I have way less, it's mainly fabricating cores and building stuff. And praying that Austria doesn't come for you.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Is there any actual way to gain cores in V2 outside of events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
This is just incredibly depressing.

Victorian life sucked.

• Locked thread