Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Kersch posted:

Voice idea: change the coin jingle sound effect for when the month ticks over to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8

Yes please.
I think I'm adding this to my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Evil Agita posted:

Playing the USA in NNM with all of these fire-eater/anti-slavery society/underground railroad/copperheads/abolishionist pamphlets/moral crusaders/etc popups is supper annoying because the game auto unpauses every time you get one of these popups which right now in 1860 are happening almost every day. When in a war the auto unpause thing is very bad and atrociously bad design, is there an option somewhere to turn that off?

For Paradox designers, it would be nice if I could just hit 2 on the keyboard to select option 2, instead of having to click. It'd be even swanker if there was some way to set it to auto remember and select my choices so I'm not stopping every day to click a popup or 2.

In a a multiplayer game (vanilla HoD, not NNM), I reformed so fast that I had trouble getting the upper house to 40% liberal after John Brown's Last Raid happened.
Which meant the Civil War never happened. Which meant I had those events (at least 6 each month) until 1875 :negative:
At x3 speed I could just handle them fast enough to click them away before new events happened (without doing literally anything else but that) but on x4 I had to pause frequently. My MP partner wasn't pleased.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Conservatives are more likely to vote for reforms depending on the radicalism of any ongoing movements, so suppressing reform movements is one way to get reforms passed. It sounds a little weird, but it's consistent with the whole "you have to be a tyrant if you want democracy" thing the game has going on.

That's only indirect though, isn't it? Isn't Conservative support only dependant on average militancy? I think each point of average MIL gives 10% more conservatives in favor of reforms.
Suppressing movements probably raises their militancy when they reappear, but still.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

fuf posted:

If I have still have cores in France as England can I just give them to France?

What is even wrong with you? Why would you ever not war for a core?
In case you ever gain cores and forget about it (it sure happens a lot to me when I come back to my game later), you can just check your domestic menu (the thing you get by clicking your flag) and scroll down the list to the left until you come to a part where it says "has Reconquest Casus Belli on X". That means you have cores in that country. If you still can't find them with diplomatic mapmode then, you can just use the declare war interface to find out which provinces you have a CB on

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Kavak posted:

I grabbed some, but I'll try to be more thorough next time (Which I plan to spend as the US so it's actually the time after next :v:)

I don't see what's stopping you from colonizing Africa as the USA. Colonizing while half of your states have an average population of 2000 is hilarious.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Are there any downsides to the Pop Demand Mod that I'm missing on a quick glance? Looks to me like it's just NNM + more goods but I remember this thread being kind of split on that mod.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Does NNM have all the events and decisions from PDM though?
Just loaded up a POD (HoD version of PDM) game and most of China had -2 to -4 to railroads because of terrain and Irregulars had 1 recon while regular cav had 2. :psyduck:
Guess you guys are right.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Is there any way to get primary culture POPs into Africa? I want to get Yankees everywhere. Also, do all the assimilation boni cancel out the -20% from a province having a core of that culture?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I thought that only worked to get foreign immigrants into your country. :v:
How long did it usually take until you'd notice any Germans there?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Well I've had the NF on for about 4 years now and there's not a single non-African in the state yet.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Kersch posted:

Try shutting down a factory in one of your states temporarily if you can. Unemployed pops are more likely to move.
I shut Alabama because it had a single factory and sea access. That just made them migrate all over the US.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Friend Commuter posted:

Shut all your factories down, some of the migrants will probably go to Africa. Maybe even before you go bankrupt or a communist revolution takes Washington!

I did that and not a single goddamn guy went to Africa. Looking at the wiki, South Angola fulfills none of these conditions which should mean it's at 0% and then the 20% from the NF kicks in and I should see SOME migration I think, but nope.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was looking at the wrong table, this is the correct one, which makes it even more puzzling. Yankees from New York fulfill all of these except "Colonial State", "NOT Primary Culture" and "State has Factories". They should have at least some colonial migration but if I hover over an individual POP group's colonial migration it just says "no colonial migration" without telling me why.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 28, 2013

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Seems to me to still be the same (/common/pop_types.txt)
code:
colonialmigration_chance = 
{
	factor = 0.25

modifier = {
		factor = -0.5
		is_primary_culture = no
	}
	group = {
		modifier = {
			factor = -0.1
			not = { consciousness = 6 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = -0.1
			not = { consciousness = 7 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = -0.1
			not = { consciousness = 8 } 
		}
	}
	modifier = {
		factor = -2.0
		state_scope = { is_colonial = yes }
	}
	group = {
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.1
			not = { life_needs = 0.9 }
			not = { everyday_needs = 0.1 }
			not = { luxury_needs = 0.1 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.1
			not = { life_needs = 0.8 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.1
			not = { life_needs = 0.7 }
		}
	}

modifier = {
		factor = -0.3
		state_scope = {
			has_factories = yes
			}
	}

group = {
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.3
			unemployment = 0.1
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.3
			unemployment = 0.2
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.3
			unemployment = 0.3
		}

}
}

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Kersch posted:

Yeah, I just found that as well. Do you still have any colonial states in North America? Maybe something there is stealing the show since it would be a colonial state with the same primary culture.

Yeah I actually still have North Dakota and New Mexico as colonies. These aren't being targeted by the unemployed guys, however (I'm also pretty sure it would show up as "colonial migration" even if it is connected and on the same continent).

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I destroyed all of my factories (seriously) and they STILL don't wanna go to Africa. What the gently caress, I am considering writing Johan a sternly worded letter.

Patter Song posted:

Good news, everybody! The winners have been selected for the first round of East vs. West's We Are the World competition!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?704280-WINNERS-SELECTED-for-first-round-of-We-are-the-World!

Oh dear lord, this guy made it.

ExtraNoise posted:

Is there a word that describes feeling embarrassed for someone else? Because I'm feeling it all over.

Fremdschämen.
E: ^^^^^^^^^^ :argh:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Where's all this Hitler stuff coming from? I'll have you know that Prussia is perfectly fine to be nationalist about :colbert:. And the guy took over all those lands peacefully, didn't you read that?!
I can't even pretend-defend a united Germany still being called Prussia and the Kingdom of Prussia suddenly becoming the Empire of Prussia (because the guy is suddenly a Kaiser) though.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Paradox' new thing revealed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SCDhF2d3AE
It's obviously a standalone version of TOG.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

beefart posted:

Hopefully they've learned a thing or two from the guys who made Chivalry.

Hint: add a hotkey for yellinGAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

If this game about Vikings doesn't have war cries, it's already dead.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Does anyone know if we'll be able to still build buildings from the ledger in EU4? I don't wanna scroll over to America every time I wanna build stuff in the colonies. :(

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Better than that, there's a whole awesome new part of the UI for buildings. It shows stuff like where each building still needs to be built and shows the total modified benefit you get from it (i.e. after reductions from wrong culture or bonuses from NIs etc)

Yeah they mentioned that in the DD but it still sounded like you need to click on the little "+" icon on the province.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
In Darkest Hour, how do I stop the AI from bullshit annexing stuff? I'm playing Kaiserreich as Mongolia and trying to take Shaingquing Tenguo or whatever that nation between Mongolia and Qing is called. Qing declared war on them separately after I won several battles and as soon as I take the single victory point province, Qing annexes them without having done poo poo in the war.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Kaiserreich is the best videogame.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Yup, the best videogame.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Did the new Kaiserreich beta fundamentally change any of the combat? I'm playing Russia and I can't for the life of me win a battle (defensive or offensive, doesn't matter) unless I've got at least 10 divs more. I even lost a battle with 3 INF against 1 CAV that wasn't even dug in for heaven's sake.
Also, is the Worker's Strike event supposed to be triggerable during the Civil War? poo poo's ridiculous.

Edit: Reloaded as Mongolia because they annexed the guys to their south real quick and their cavalry is moving at 2.7 km/h through mountains. What the gently caress?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 19, 2013

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Kavak posted:

Did you implement the fix I mentioned? I don't know what they did to the unit stats specifically, but I'm not seeing anything in the PDox forums thread about combat being bizarre.

The strike sounds like it's WAD- why wouldn't the proletariat elsewhere in Russia sympathize with the Soviets and try to help them? It probably does need a different version though, that part of the mod is old as hell.

EDIT: Are you saying that speed is too fast or too slow? Because it sounds about right for guiding a few thousand horses through mountain passes.

In the file it says the "combat mode" variable only governs a few names, whether it's called toughness or offensive vulnerability, for example.
About the strike, turns out it's just a generic event as long as you're above 20 dissent :v:.
And I meant speed is too fast, in my beta 2 games it would always go down to the minimum of 0.8 when cavalry or armored divs crossed jungle or mountains.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

uPen posted:

Strategic redeployment is a thing but this is definitely a bug. Before this was fixed (has it been fixed?) infantry moved at .8 km/h in friendly territory at peace with perfect infrastructure. A division ordered to march from Berlin to Danzig would be marching for over 2 months during peacetime with nothing interdicting their movement. Armored and motorized units can move at a blistering .9 to 1.5 km/h depending on terrain.

In which version did you get this? I played plenty of Beta 2 and I think the highest speed my ARM divs reached was about 5 or 6 km/h. Only went down to 0.8 in jungles and mountains and in other terrain they went at least 2 km/h.

Kavak posted:

I would probably start a new game, all the unit stats are different, among other things. I think GrossMurpel is right, which means that every mod released since April that didn't change its units has been fundamentally broken :suicide:

Heh, I was getting used to 0.8 km/h (didn't play in a while before) and actually thought making them slow as gently caress was the way it was supposed to be :v:.

By the way, increasing the Mj General army size was drat genius, no more running out of them or Lt Generals.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
With the Kaiserreich BETA 3 I noticed that the notifier for being able to change policy does not actually work anymore (as in, even with the checkbox checked it doesn't give me a popup each day like it used to). Anyone know what the cause of that might be?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Yeaaah, not entirely sure how it happened but that's definitely not the case.

Enable Full IC Takeover and conquer the entirety of the Americas. :getin:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Just go full Free Market and Hawk Lobby as well as getting that rear end Line to reduce the time to 700 days or so.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It was changed for DH or in one of the patches for it. In 1.03 at least they are counted as screens and as such the screen penalty doesn't apply to a fleet of 30 CAs.

Naval Bombers will gently caress them up though.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well that explains a few things. Is it not worth putting money into the creating public works decisions since it gives you more Central Planning? I cannot see a single positive thing about Central Planning but its cool to put money into developing research and infrastructure.

IMO it'd be a terrible event even without the CP move.
If you're on FM, you have way too much money but can't use it. If you're on CP it is way too expensive.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

AFAIK Free Market vs Central Planning is limited by your Right-wing / Left-wing sliders, so even if we consider Free Market to be so much better, Central Planning is still better than being stuck in the middle of the slider and never being able to go full FM.

Not sure if Left/Right influences it, but you definitely can't go further than +1 FM if you're a dictatorship.
I'd always prefer being a democracy over being CP though, it is just too good.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Gort posted:

Isn't a Free Market with large amounts of intervention in the marketplace... not a free market?

With that logic, full FM should drop your IC to 0 because it's all privately owned.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
What exactly makes INT better at shooting down bombers than FTR? Is it just one of those silly hidden modifiers (like how Art inherently deals more damage to Arm)? Because FTR are better in every regard stats-wise.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

SickZip posted:

fascist america joining the axis is pretty much gameover for the allies and commintern

Is that a thing you can reliably do in HoI3?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DrProsek posted:

Axis Poland

What excuse does Germany use for starting WWII then?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DrProsek posted:

None, Germany didn't start it. France declared war first, I think because I conquered the Baltic nations after raising the Soviet Union's threat through the roof. That's also why we had so many Axis nations I think because I had nothing to do with half of Europe and central Asia going Axis.

Although in most games as Axis Poland, if I keep things cool eventually Germany just launches Operation Barbarossa and the Allies just kinda sit it out. It eventually leads to hilarious situations where after the Allies appease Germany by letting them take various bordering nations, they then sat by as Germany conquered a large chunk of the USSR, and making Poland almost into an island inside of Germany :v:.

From the bit I played and these stories, it looks like HoI3's chain of events breaks easily and hilariously. :allears:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

What about these dynamic start dates? I don't want to start in a time when Byzantium doesn't exist anymore! :smith: How dare they include an optional feature in an optional purchase!

Don't worry, you can always recreate it. I can't wait for space Byzantium if they ever get around to making a 4X game.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

It does, but I think that having a bunch of separate democracies to go to helps draw out those who would be more borderline. Or I don't know what I'm talking about.

The way I understand it is that whether they migrate simply depends on a bunch of internal factors and the target they choose is completely independent of that. So there's a pool of migrants decided by how poo poo the living conditions are and those get split up between target countries depending on a bunch of other factors.
I think the chance to emigrate can be seen in the pop statistics window somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Kenlon posted:

EDIT: I'm doing preliminary work on a HOI3 Let's Play, and the only thing really wrong with it as of TFH is the politics system, which is effectively useless. And that's a shame.

I only played a bit of HoI3 but so far I've:
- Drifted into the Axis as Brazil and accidentally made Germany go to war with America in 1938.
- Almost made Austria drift into the Allies after couping them as France (probably could have preventedt he Anschluss if I'd started on day 1).

Looks to me like the system is good for changing up the frontlines.

• Locked thread