Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I was going to shake my fist at you SO HARD Chris!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

- probably a set of new tires sometime, mine are badly dry rotted. They'll do for now

</crosspost>

Yeah, you don't want to lose one of those while flying down the street at 80.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Did you get the bolt shanks out?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ACEofsnett posted:

Using a shop press manually is terrifying enough, what with the pumping, the hiding, the pumping some more and then the horrible explosion that makes everyone in a 5 mile radius hide in terror.

With power, you would lose all feel for the work, which would be unsafe IMHO. It would be too easy to put way too much force on an object way too quickly.

That being said, simple AC powered hydraulic reservoirs and pumps are available for car lifts, although those probably also don't generate the pressure necessary. Lifting a car is a lot different from concentrating 12 tons on a 1" wide point.

The bang that an unissued romie ask barrel pin makes when you press it out with a 40 ton shop press can be heard across a half acre factory. Ask me how I know.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

People keep telling me to scrap or sell this truck but it's probably the most useful vehicle I own. It does anything/everything I need it to mostly without complaint.

As usual, click for larger pictures of rust/ugly trucks.

You wouldn't get anywhere near enough to justify selling it even just making it your yard truck.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Slow is Fast posted:

The kastein 4x4 offroad parts lookup system.

Latency is high and it has the problem of giving too much relevant information and alternatives, but for the most part it can spit out part numbers all day for projects that have no business smashing parts into other parts.

Never ask for interchange data when in a hurry.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How do you get a free Subaru? How can I get free Subarus?

karma.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Slow is Fast posted:

The two piece intake mainifold we run on the poopstang will not separate unless we heat it. Once the two halves are apart we can get it off with a knife but until then it just goes nope gently caress youuuuu

Iirc there are two kinds of black rtv. Oil resistant and omg rubber welding.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Ken is too busy persuading other goons to buy parts jeeps to die.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

Well it has been trouble free for a while but I suspect the stupid rear transfer case yoke nut is working its way lose for the fourth time. Kinda losing my patience with this. I don't think loctite will fix it since the splines are probably worn, and loctite won't handle full driveshaft torque.

Motronic, the left tail light is there (it's got some very mild weather cracking, you know the type, roughly 1/4-1/2" long cracks that go about 1/2 of the way through the plastic, but don't seem to perforate) but the right one walked off in the last week apparently. Should I pull it tomorrow?

Stake that fucker.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

Because it's hard to build walls without electricity.

You can HAVE my lovely Genny if you want to put a pullcord on and clean the carb.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Vim Fuego posted:

Any opinions on this 79 CJ5? I need something with no top for this summer, and this thing looks to be in better shape than the 1st gen broncos I've been looking at.

Check for rust/cracks in the frame, and rust in the tub if it's original and cracks if it's fiberglass.

The drive train is rock solid and stone age tech, so unless something is obviously wrong, it'll run forever. No special issues to really look for on that year.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

skylineboy08 posted:

A coworker linked this game trailer too me and the first thing i said was "i just want to drive the 5-ton".

It looks like someone is making a kastein simulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiOt7SuHGPM

It's actually fairly disappointing. You just hop in a truck, spin all 4/6/8 tires the entire way to a lumber stack, then turn around and spin them all to a dropoff point.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The shifter now actually clicks positively on to gear and barely shakes on the highway. I bet I'm a balance away from being able to drive on i90 with the flow of traffic.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cakefool posted:

Do you have checks for biodiesel?

They press a tortilla on to the ground and check to see if it tastes like a fiesta.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

Maybe? I am not that technologically advanced. :haw:

Oh yeah, last night I drove to Ozmiander's place and grabbed a pile of EJ25 parts from his stillborn Subaru project.

And I have a pile of EJ22E parts we pulled out of a random 91 legacy or something at the junkyard 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I need to find my NP231 parts pile (shouldn't be hard, there are at least 3 torn apart NP231s scattered around my house) and begin measuring and sperging about things. And maybe find a turbo and a propeller, I haven't decided yet.

My visit to the Haus of Horrible Slow Vehicles
(mine fits in very nicely there)

Bonus points if you spotted where i painted the flares for my F150.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

Undecided at this point. I might snap and buy a really lovely Subaru or I might start working on an airplane to put it in.

Either way, I've already started taking the measurements and begun the miles of sperging required to build a powerplant and PSRU out of junkyard parts using a Subaru EJ/EG series motor and an amalgamation of Chevy, Dodge, Ford, and/or Jeep 4x4 components. So either way I'm attaching a propeller to a stupid subaru motor eventually, just not entirely sure it'll be this one.

If you get a Subaru, buy the cheapest pos you can. There's no middle ground on those fuckers.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Abandoned in NY? Never!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It was an adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDDCjYjqIAs

It got better though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUQPEhwIdTo

Sort of.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

Today: Fixed the rear brakes on the 1997 honda accord that lost a balljoint a while back. They were turbofucked, rotors looked like hell, one pad worn down to the backing plate, slides jammed, etc.

Also helped ACEofsnett toss a new trans mount in his 1991 toyota pickup offroad toy. It has been hosed for a while but the bolts were seized into the transfer case... he finally got them out without breaking them off, but it took what was left of the threads (M10x1.25) out with the bolts so I got to do my usual act of civil disobedience and retap to the next SAE size up, in this case 1/2-13, since that was the only tap/bolt size we could find on short notice :v:

Sad thing is, if I had realized that was going to happen I could have just brought my M10x1.25 helicoil kit home from work Friday and used that. Oh well, 1/2 bolts are an upgrade and not going anywhere anytime soon.

Also pulled a dead tree a foot in diameter down with the MJ and winch because we were bored. Sadly this event was not caught on video. It looked like a tree being pulled down, I swear.

Somewhere out in the woods, chrisgt is twitching.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ACEofsnett posted:

Argghhhh, roll pins! My AR-15 lower building PTSD! TRIGGER WARNING THAT poo poo!

Pussy.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I'm sorry, i over reacted.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

What the gently caress is this piece of poo poo doing here?

Drove a jeep for the first time in drat near 7 months. It is absolute junk and I forgot how much minor annoying stuff was broken.

Can't wait for spring, it will die on video. gently caress this thing.

Thanks a ton to Ozmiander for not scrapping it a long time ago, and arranging shipment, which has been a disaster. I have a few more forester parts to collect, then it is time for a pilgrimage to upstate NY.

That's like thanking a someone for giving you herpes.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
But how the hell are you going to commute in a m715?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry guys, he bought a turbo B18 Civic.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Great Beer posted:

I heard it was a turbo RX8 that had previously been used as a drift car.

Nah, he's trying to get better mpg for his commute.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Ok, ok. No more joking around. He said it was ok for me to reveal what he really bought:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

They found the vibrations too!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fart Pipe posted:

We bought a spare at the junkyard in CO before we left and THANK GOD. No more terrifying pull to the right, hahaha.

No I can safely say its mint. We can hear the stereo now which consists of 2 3.5 inch speakers, lol.

Why, did you stop playing the trumpet?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

chrisgt posted:

GL/DL are annoying ones, yes.

Impreza is always a model, outback is always a trim package.
A legacy outback is a lifted legacy with two tone, an impreza outback is basically the same thing.

Foresters are weird because it's an impreza that was squished into an ugly box.

Outback is also a discrete model.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

I am still looking for a sub thousand dollar viper V10 (lol) to put in, but I do have two V8s sitting in the back of the 5 ton specifically to put into MJs. Also a number of other engines whose homes I have not yet decided.

The T444E would probably fit in an MJ but ehhhhhhhhh I would rather not build a T444E MJ, it is way too big and heavy for them.

AMC V8s do fit the same bell as the 258/4.0 but they never came with EFI and all the options for it aren't cheap or aren't compatible with the late model XJ interior swap I have planned. I've got a 94 5.9 v8 from a dodge 2500 and a 98 5.2 v8 from a dodge 1500 to choose from, if I go v8 that is. I've got a few other things in mind but haven't fully decided yet.

By the time you plated enough of the frame to support it, your MJ would weigh as much as a new ram 3500.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Slow is Fast posted:

You are now a true brobaru.

Also, I am going to drive down to mass and put your loving trim back on for you. If the car is locked I will get in. Through the windshield.

It's probably already cracked and ready to break again anyway.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sandbagger SA posted:

This is actually one of the things I do to kill time at work.

they don't make em big for NO reason.

Ah, so that's where you learned your painting techniques!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fart Pipe posted:

OMG yesssss. I dont think Ive ever heard it run in person.

Take all your pots and pans, and throw them down the stairs.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
How hosed is that 360? If you're gonna toss it, i'll give you a six of woodchuck for it.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'll trade you a red forester for it.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's crazy how it can look so good up top and be so hosed beneath.

I say go for the resto frame. Do this poo poo proud, you sick gently caress.

What's the source of the mould, carpet? Seats?

Wagoneers have a couple lovely spots that become dirt/sand/leaf/etc pockets and just hold moisture up against the frame until it rots away. Sad, but common.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

I do but it's pretty haggard.

I am going junkyarding tomorrow though and can grab you one. Not sure what they will charge but probably cheapish. Check this thread out for 2din info BTW: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1024604

It got hosed by loving Photobucket, but you can get it working again with extensions and poo poo I think.

Edit: the Datsun just left to go to its new home with a friend of a friend from CT near Limerock! He works at an Alfa shop down there. Glad it's going to someone who will do cool things with it.

Stop, you're making me want to buy another jeep.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Man, i would have given you mine, but you just couldn't wait a few days to wreck yours, could you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress you for buying that truck, you knew i wanted it even if i didn't have cash to buy it, or a place to put it at the time, lol.