Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hey dude I finally sent those axle seals out to you, should be there by Thursday.

Sorry it took so long, been working like a mad man lately :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Speaking of steering boxes, do you know about redhead boxes? Apparently they're awesome, I'm planning on getting one for my crown vic.

http://redheadsteeringgears.reachlocal.com/?scid=982563&kw=5016327

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not sure how well they would work for you, but a pair of Airlift helper air bags on the saggy leafs helped my '99 XJ a ton. Would be a cheap way to get some ground clearance and just overall a great way to stay level especially when you're loaded down with poo poo in the back.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

They are well worth the $200, it's more with a compressor but you don't need one. Just make sure you mount the valves in a place they wont get ruined. Super easy install, and super easy to take off when you want to swap them on another Jeep. If you plan on driving XJ's for awhile it's a great investment because as you know the rear leafs sag on pretty much every XJ there is, and leafs aren't exactly cheap or easy to replace.

[edit] They actually improve the ride a bit too.

[edit 2] I should post a pic of my old XJ, all this talking about XJs makes me miss it :(

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 13, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

I've done leafs on an XJ, it cost me around 250 bucks for the pair as I recall, getting the drat bolts out was a bastard though.

Yeah that's pretty much the reason I went with the air springs. I thought about new leafs or a bastard pack and said gently caress it. Saved me a lot of time and aggravation, would do it again A++.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

HEY CHECK OUT MY FORMER XJs

The white '99 I bought for a song in FL and took it to NY. The green '97 (5 speed!) I found for 1k with some issues that were easy fixes. I was running a campground on 275 acres and they were my work horses. I sold the '99 before I moved back to FL and made a decent profit, the '97 I traded to my brother in law for a minivan lol.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So you decided against the airlift springs huh? Would have been a lot easier, but at least you did it the right way instead of taking the easy way out like me :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I never really understood the bastard pack, if you're gonna go through all that trouble you might as well just put new springs on it, especially if you had to hack away at the frame to get the loving things off.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, ok. But still that's seems like a lot of work to do just what you said, add a bunch of hosed leafs on top of an already hosed leaf :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat. Glad I decided not to take the father in law's rusty Forester that had been sitting for two years gently caress that.

Get an old 4cyl Camry dude, they're boring but at least they don't break much. Sounds like you need a car that will just leave you the gently caress alone for awhile :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

If it isn't 4wd or AWD and can't be made so, it has no place in my fleet of turds.

:colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You have no luck with seals do you :v:

Great idea using the drill press with the wire brush, now I want to get a drill press.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It seems like you want to get off the Subaru train but you've got too much invested now to jump.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

angryrobots posted:

I dunno your car history, but in my experience the constant parts swapping is an American mfg phenomenon. I've had BMW's and volvos too and it's kinda ridiculous on some assemblies how many different chassis, and years, one part works for.

Yeah my Miata needs an IAC valve and rockauto wants $400 for one, or I can go to the JY and find a BP Kia and get one out of that or a protege/mx3/etc for 10 bucks! Kinda strange that a part that's used on so many different models and even makes is so drat expensive new I don't get it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Ouch. My new IAC was $33 :sax:

One of the few if only questionably priced Miata parts. Overall Miatas a pretty cheap to fix.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha I was thinking how the hell is that possible but I didn't doubt it because if anyone would try and succeed it would be you :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Brilliant :golfclap:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Did you finally find a Justy? IIRC you were looking for one.

Do I win a prize if I guessed right :3:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

:smug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fart Pipe posted:

Charming things of note so far

Shakes violently at 60 but not 65
No low beams but high beams arent very high so that works for now
Cant put sunvisors down without adjusting aftermarket rear view
Struts are probably original
One lug nut on the rear turns but doesn't tighten or loosen
Stereo seems to not working well so were using my phone to listen to metal
Oil smell

Its mint

Oh poo poo, what's the parts availability like for those cars? Does anyone even make struts for them?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I didn't even know Subaru made them in a four (5) door. Learn something new everyday.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Where in NY? Western NY has decent interstates, I never had a problem when I lived there.

Pennsylvania has the worst interstates imo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Any luck finding alloy wheels for it yet?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Jesus christ this is gonna take all summer.

drat I thought my list was long, now I don't feel so bad :v:

Between my cars and my house sometimes I feel overwhelmed with poo poo that needs to be done, and the list keeps getting longer :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat dude, don't you have anyone local to help you out? Watching that I felt the need to jump in and help, that looked like a PITA to do alone.

Also I laughed out loud at loving WHORE because that's exactly what I say (scream) when my cars don't cooperate, sometimes I'll throw a DIRTY in between too :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

:stare:

Holy poo poo I don't blame you, I wouldn't even want to waste any more time or money on it.

That's gotta be a constant battle with cars up north, determining at what point the rust factor overrides any money spent on repairs.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I mean any repairs in general, like what's the point of replacing all the shocks if the mounts are disintegrating? Or doing a timing belt job if the frame is going to rot in half before the timing belt breaks? I can see why people just run poo poo into the ground up there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just wanted to leave this link here if you haven't seen it already, it's about shifter bushings for the Justy. Got it from SeatSafety.

http://hooniverse.com/2015/08/17/justy-little-project-car-shifter-tips-for-everyone-sweet-new-wheels-for-me/

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Isn't it always fun when you fix something on your car and it doesn't solve anything?

Oh well, took less than an hour. Swapped the manifold, catcon, and both O2 sensors (all as a unit, I am lazy) from the old red forester onto the new silver one. Bogging and misfiring at mid to high throttle is still there, but not as bad now. The only thing it really solved was the exhaust leak noise and the heatshields sounding like a pack of raccoons having an orgy in a bin full of tin cans.

Place your bets, is the actual cause the coilpack, plug wires, plugs, or something else? I tried another coilpack months ago but who knows, it may have been half bad.

Just went through that with my Miata, was sure it was a fueling issue and it ended up being the plug wires. So I'm voting plug wires :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That 5 gallon bucket must be a great motivator :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ha, I just had to saw off a stripped stud on my wife's Lexus. Luckily I was able to back the lug nut out a bit to expose the stud, and I was able to fit a long rear end blade through one of the holes in the wheel, bending it almost 90 degrees against the rotor. Busted a blade right where it goes into the saw and had fun trying to get that out. My hands still hurt lol.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

chrisgt posted:

Neither, it's a seal on, I believe, the reverse actuator piston. I've never poked that deep into one, but a friend of mine at a Subaru indy shop said you can drop the VB and replace it. Sounds like a can of nope to me.

I'd just replace the entire VB. I've done a few VB swaps hoping to fix an issue with about a 50% success rate. Worth a shot if you can get one cheap from a bone yard.

But yeah I'd do fluid change first, maybe try the Lucas poo poo and if that doesn't work try swapping the VB. The problem with that obviously is you could be swapping it with one that is just as bad or worse.

No way i'd bother doing a manual swap on a $400 beater, unless you're completely bored with nothing better to do.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 31, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Changing out the fluid should fix the shudder problem at least.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

just imagine how much extra free time you'd have if you just bought anything but shitcan cars

Haha, that's my new philosophy now. Spend as little amount of time possible working on cars, I even switched to extended life Mobil 1 so I only have to change the oil once a year now :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Also: rust. I seem to recall you living in a rust free area. We're moving to the Seattle area in a couple years, at which point I can replace the rotten to gently caress AWD beaters with ugly but reliable Honda beaters and just work on my dumb Jeeps for fun again.

You're moving after doing all that work to your house?

That's gotta be a bit tough.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So you're basically getting you current house ready for sale then. Do you at least expect to make a decent profit from all your work?

I gotta admit that I'd have a hard time selling my house after all the work I've put into over the past 13 years. It's worth a hell of a lot more now though then when we bought it :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

One time I took my race wheels in. They had 949 aluminum stems.

They trashed my loving stems and had the audacity to not only charge me for the generic rubber stems but deny any wrongdoing and reimbursement. I had to demand access to the shop floor and dig through the garbage next to the mounting machine to find one of them before they caved. Consequently, I had raised such a ruckus that they not only comped the entire process, but told me my business, so far as it pertained to bringing in my own wheels and tires for mounting, was no longer welcome. Good riddance, pricks, I wasn't planning to let you chimps monkey-gently caress my poo poo again anyway.

I ended up getting corporate to pay for my new stems.

God I hate tire shops with a passion. I swear if I had the space i would buy a used tire machine and balancer just so I didn't have to deal with those idiots.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was spoiled when I worked for a friend that had his own shop, going from having an available mounter/balancer to having to go to a tire shop sucks rear end. I went to the cheapest place I could find to mount the tires on my xB and of course the balancing job they did was poo poo so now I gotta pay to have that re done the right way. Should have just went to the expensive alignment shop to begin with because at least they take pride in their work and I wouldn't have to have it done again, lesson learned.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

Sometimes the machines go bad and tell you to keep adding weight on opposite sides. And if you've got a mouth breather on the ticket they'll just nod and keep on doing it till you've got 5 pounds of sticky weights on there.

A lot of it has to do with tire brands too, I remember Goodyear tires being a PITA to balance and other brands like Kumho and Yokohama barely took any weight at all. Sometimes if you had a lovely enough tire the machine would never agree, like what kastein said basically, but when that happens with a brand new tire you know it's garbage that's why I won't buy Goodyear tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Jegs: Yeah, we totally have that in stock, just let us charge your credit card and HAHAHAHA SIKE

That happened to me twice in a row trying to order a set of springs. Said they were in stock, nope, and OOPS they don't make them anymore! Idiots.