Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've never seen employees anywhere except the entrance/exit at the Pick and Pulls I frequent.

Most of the time they don't even look in my backpack on my way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So who's car are we going to use to make it fly?

Does the 5 ton count?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know if you know this, but most people drive to work with a cup of coffee. Maybe some fast food death breakfast sandwich too.

:v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

This is more curiosity than anything, since the vehicle is long, long gone.

An old roommate had a 95 or 96 Grand Cherokee 4.0 - I guess that'd be the 42RE. His stepmom killed the original trans around 150k, and my roommate got it with about 250k on it. Drove fine for awhile, then it would upshift just fine all the way to 4th, then drop into 3rd around 50, and refuse to go back into 4th until about 65. No slipping, fluid looked fine. He drove it like that until his girlfriend wrecked it with far north of 300k on it, and he was actively trying to kill it the entire time he had it.

Any idea :wtc: happened there? I assume it was something electrical, and not actually something inside the trans, since it would shift like clockwork into 4th the moment the speedo tickled 65's ball sack.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fucknag posted:

Seems like a bad overdrive controller, most older transmissions would have a range of engagement speeds depending on the throttle position. Like my Blazer would shift into OD right at 43 at light cruise, flooring it would delay that until about 65. Maybe a bad TPS input into the trans controller?

Not entirely sure. It would downshift just fine if you laid into it, and upshifting seemed appropriate for the speed + throttle input. It literally shifted like it was brand new until you hit 50 and it decided "oh hey, I'm gonna drop into 3rd". Once you got going fast enough for it to upshift again, it drove perfectly (until you slowed down below 65; it'd drop into 3rd again at that point, then upshift into 4th once you slowed below 50).

That thing was a clusterfuck on the best of days though; the only usable thing on the cluster was the speedometer (every warning light lit, every gauge doing something it shouldn't have been doing), even the radio went wonky and started scanning for stations nonstop whenever it was running. Worked fine if the engine was off. :iiam:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

angryrobots posted:

About having to walk several miles to the parts store if you forget something...

A few years ago, I took the bus to AutoZone to get a half shaft. Then realized the buses only ran every 55 minutes... so it was wait 45 minutes, or start walking.

Walked about 3 miles with half an axle on my shoulder. That.. was not fun. Neither was discovering they gave me the wrong axle once I got back (they gave me the A/T version instead of M/T).

Best part was discovering that while it did absolutely need the axle, it was actually the wheel bearing making that weird popping/clicking noise. The outer race had somehow split/cracked :stonk:

e: wheel bearing had about 5k on it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 8, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Psycho Donut Killer posted:

Harbor Freight tow bar and magnetic lights. Don't need registration on vehicle being flat towed

I don't know about MA, but here, if even one wheel is on the ground, the vehicle needs to have current tags.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I.. I have no idea what I'm even looking at, or what I read.

But bravo. :golfclap:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So a coworker (NOT the one who bought the Maxima and Eldorado; he got canned awhile back) picked up a Cherokee. 4.0, automatic, but sadly, 2WD. From his next door neighbor.

Straight body, tired interior (saggy headliner, front seat is pretty beat), no rust, working a/c, $1800. I'd call that a decent deal. Not the deal of the year, but working a/c and a 4.0 that isn't knocking? Not too bad. I wouldn't mind having it myself.

Didn't ask how many miles were on it, but I didn't hear any knocks escaping, nor did it blow any smoke, so it's probably somewhere south of 300k.

Coworker claims it's a 95.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

Also, here is a video. It's 30+ minutes of us driving around on dirt roads like assholes and I don't believe my rear end is visible for even a second. Sorry, guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKpJXB86bF4
(it's not quite done processing yet, give it time)

And another, this is what mudterrains sound like when they're sliding sideways a little at ~52-54mph:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi1zUsslfUQ

A reasonable response to both of those

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fucknag posted:

Ughh. I've heard that name before and never knew what they were, but after looking it up just now they used a shitload of 'em on the Blazer. I never felt comfortable unplugging anything on that POS; the washer sprayer connectors particularly always felt like they were gonna disintegrate.

GM still uses them on more recent stuff; I have them for headlight and fog light connectors. :sigh:

Broke a clip on one of them the first time I changed the fog light bulbs. :argh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I would have no problem living in Eureka Springs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The factory ECU location, IIRC, is behind the passenger kickpanel. Shouldn't be exposed to any real moisture unless the car is deep enough in water to get past the lower sill (which writes off the interior at that point), or the HVAC fresh air intake starts leaking (mostly an issue on 90-93 Integras, and even then, mainly because the ECU was under the carpet.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I think I mentioned that a coworker bought a Jeep recently.

It's a... early to mid 90s? I forget exactly how old, I'm sure Ken can figure it out. It's old enough that it's not OBD2 (judging by the inspection sticker). I want to say 94 or 95.

Has some funky striping going on out back.

Has WAY too many miles and rdust, needs to be junked ASAP. I just realized it has less miles than my car..

Also has an odd "TURN OFF HEADLIGHTS WHEN EXITING" sticker on the dash - not a homemade one, looks like a mass produced sticker. It's a barebones jeep with only AM/FM radio, I don't think it even has a/c. It'd been parked in his neighbor's driveway for several years, he bought it from him for $1200. He mentioned something about it possibly being a former forestry service jeep, but it's not 4x4. I'd guess it's at least a former government vehicle though.

e: absolutely zero rust anywhere on it. I think the built in rust prevention system is broken too.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 6, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It has a pre-OBD2 smog sticker on it, so there's a very small chance it's a 96 or newer - though it was smogged by the previous owner (easy giveaway: inspection expires 10/4, registration was issued with the new plates and expires 7/15). I'm pretty sure he said it's a 94 or 95.

Could you even order these without power steering? The only options I've seen have been a radio, cloth seats, and automatic transmission (and I haven't looked close enough to see if it's even the original radio - last night is the first time I've seen the interior, and it was dark - just wanted an odometer photo). I've never even seen one with a rear wiper delete.

He's up for tackling some issues on it (all pretty minor stuff aside from a swiss cheese exhaust), and frankly, I'd like to work on it.

If it was a city vehicle, i've never seen one with those reflective stickers on the back. Nor have I seen such a stripped down model with cloth seats; I'm used to seeing vinyl.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

some texas redneck posted:

Could you even order these without power steering? The only options I've seen have been a radio, cloth seats, and automatic transmission (and I haven't looked close enough to see if it's even the original radio - last night is the first time I've seen the interior, and it was dark - just wanted an odometer photo). I've never even seen one with a rear wiper delete.

Looked closer today while parked. It actually does have factory a/c, and the factory AM/FM radio.

kastein posted:

The stickers, dummy gauges, low miles, rear wiper delete, and lack of roof rack make me think city utility vehicle or railroad. Probably the former, I would assume the railroad would want 4x4. Any sign of radio installs or removed antennas on the roof? That would be a dead giveaway.

Found 4 self-tapping sheet metal screw holes on the roof near the hatch hinges, plus a plugged hole (about 1"?). Looks like it had a (very light) light bar. I didn't get a chance to look at the rest, since I was between orders at work. I'm gonna guess some kind kind of city, county, village, etc type.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My current set of jumper cables are some 6 or 4 gauge cables I found in the middle of a road. :haw: Some tape on the handles and they're... almost as good as new.

They're beat to poo poo from being run over, but the clamps still work, and the wires are mostly insulated, with no dry rotting on the insulation.

My old cables had perfect clamps, but the insulation was literally falling off in 6+ inch long chunks (which lead to a lot of hot fun last time I used them). Then again, they were at least 15 years old...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

Yeah, since they are in the same waste spark coil and nothing else is shared (injector fuel rails, cams, etc), makes perfect sense to me.

Coils were the first thing that came to mind myself. One right on the edge of failing will still work once it gets warmed up a bit... for awhile.

If the coil packs are identical, swap them. See if your misfire moves to #3 and #4. (it will)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Slow is Fast posted:

OF COURSE THE loving TAKE ONE WHEN IM TAKING OF MY SWEATSHIRT GOD drat IT

:allears:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How many times will he flip it just trying to get out of the driveway?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fart Pipe posted:

Shakes violently at 60 but not 65
No low beams but high beams arent very high so that works for now
Cant put sunvisors down without adjusting aftermarket rear view
Struts are probably original
One lug nut on the rear turns but doesn't tighten or loosen
Stereo seems to not working well so were using my phone to listen to metal
Oil smell

Its mint

Someone's been watching Roadkill.

Ken, you're a crazy motherfucker. Flying across the country to buy a Justy, of all things. :allears:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Beach Bum posted:

That cannot be a real loving gas station chain. I refuse to believe it. This is a setup and you are actors.

I'd never heard of them either until I was in Arkansas several years ago. By far the most prevalent chain along the highways.

A friend of mine is from Colorado, and she informed me a couple of years ago that not only did they have them in Colorado, she also used to work at one.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's a 1994?!

kastein posted:

Tell him that my transmission is reputed to handle double stock horsepower in unmodified form and ask how his WJ and F250 transmissions are doing :haw:

:iceburn:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fart Pipe posted:

Check engine light on and just got on 90 selfie. Check out the 4 day stubble we are working on. Shaving is for people with houses.

That's a 5:00 shadow for me.

Glad (and a bit surprised) you guys made it back in one piece.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fart Pipe posted:

I didnt drive at all but from what Ken said it wasnt much more than 1/2 throttle at the most to maintain hills

Yeah I can't even do that with my 4 cylinder, it's WOT on even the slightest hills unless I drop a gear.

Thanks GM for the hilariously tall gearing, 75 mph is about 2500 rpm.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Doccers posted:

Sup, Colorado here - want to take a ride in the Volvo on your way through?

You're a few days late. :v:

Nodoze posted:

75mph for me is over 4000rpm :v: Highway driving is a lot of sweet sweet F20C sounds

Even my Accord was spinning around 4k at 75. It was a bigger car (by about 400-500 pounds) with a bigger engine (2.3 vs 2.2), and somehow got almost the same mileage as the Saturn. :downs: (in the city anyway, the Saturn seems to average 34-35 on all-highway tanks, the Accord did 30-31).

VTEC, yo.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 26, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

Fun fact, they still haven't loving learned, the EJ motors have the cams riding directly on the aluminum cylinder head instead of in a bearing. At least they supply pressurized oil to those though...

Honda B (90+ Integra, 99-00 Civic Si) and D (88-05 Civic) series engines do the same. Probably F (90-02 Accord) and H (92+ Prelude) as well, since they're from the same time period.

You turbofuck the head and cams if your oil pressure drops even for a second. Ask me how I know. :sigh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

I can poke my finger through the yoke ear and push the trunnion, moving the cross back and forth.

I'm glad one of us is getting some action. :quagmire:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bringing new meaning to "balls of steel".

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

I have two cranks to play with

Admit it, you put that line in to get my attention, didn't you? :quagmire:

But seriously, the timing belt is exposed to oil? :stare: Or is there another cover inside for the balance shaft/chain/pumps?

What's the output of the stock alternator?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

Yes, this is all screamingly ghetto

... you do realize most of us have seen your house, right? We're not really shocked by anything you do unless you do something that endangers others.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

The Roadmaster is my girlfriend's. It's 100% rust free from Washington, and I want to keep it that way.

So has the OptiSpark and/or water pump poo poo itself yet?

If not... you're going to be teaching her a lot of new words when they need attention.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FAA paperwork...

How tall did you plan to go?! :stare:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Crotch Fruit posted:

220F and it died? My Firebird used to regularly go over 210, probably about 220 anytime it was idleing sitting still before the electric fans would kick in. As soon as the car was moving (or the fans kicked in) it would cool off immediately. I spoke to several dealers, shops, and owners over the years and they all said that was just how the LT1 F-body cars ran. I drove it that way for years and it never overheated on me.

As for the Jeep, I am more surprised Ken didn't just drive it to work with the geyser going down the highway. Fuel, spark, or O2, pick any two one and the I6 will still run.

That seems to be a GM Thing in general. Even my Saturd will get up to 210-215 before the fan kicks on, unless the a/c is running (in which case the fan runs nonstop). This is going by OBD2 data anyway, the gauge is a little above half when the fan kicks in.

I remember family member owned GMs running on the warm side too. I know the 94 Cadillac my mom had when I was in high school would start bitching about engine temp around 250. It would go into limp home mode and run on 4 cylinders around... 270ish? From what I dug up on Google, the fans don't come on until 224F on the Northstar, and the overheating message doesn't pop up until 255. I had it hot enough to go into limp mode a handful of times. This was in 1995, so it's not like it was poorly maintained (yet).

Those engines did have an appetite for head gaskets, but it was due to the head bolt threads being pulled out of the block. :stare: Surprisingly, the engine never gave her any issue in that car. Went through 3 transmissions after I got my license though. :downsgun:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

I agree, and my neighbors think so too, at least for the last year and a half or so :haw:

The guy from Florida came over when he saw the rollback backing in with a jeep on it to find out what I bought. His verdict was a poo poo eating grin and a thumbs up, apparently he would rather stare at a J10 on 35" mud tires (it's only a few hundred feet from his yard, he can see it from where he parks his truck) than a broken red Forester.

Pics as requested:

I could live in a $10M mansion, and I would still grin like an idiot if my next door neighbor had that parked in their yard.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I know this is an ancient post, but...

clam ache posted:

Well scubaru recommend a ngk plug. And I've always had good results with ngk plugs. Where as I have had four or five a.c. Delco fail out of the box and just as many of not more vautolite plugs fail fresh out of the box. Mind you this is my experience so ymmv.

NGK is the OEM for most AC Delco plugs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Driving while tired is no joke. I've fallen asleep on a 10 hour road trip once (thankfully not alone; friend in the passenger seat grabbed the wheel while smacking the poo poo out of me when we hit the rumble strips), and once while driving home after an 18 hour shift (ran a red light half awake, horns woke me up, somehow made it through a busy intersection).

I've been really loving lucky. Glad you're okay man.

And if you can send some of those <$500 running and driving cars my way... that'd be great. The Saturd is pretty worn out.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

That's literally the first time I've ever sold a car and watched it drive away

I just realized... I've only had one sold car move under its own power. And it was the lovely Altima that I traded in to Carmax, so I guess I didn't really watch it drive away... handed them the keys and it just disappeared while signing the paperwork for the Saturd, followed by an appraisal for the Altima (which went toward paying for the Ion).

I've owned 9 cars (less than you, but still more than the average person my age).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

Conduit goes directly over the lift posts. It reduces headroom a bit but I wasn't running it another 20 feet to avoid that.

Random, but is it the white balance, or are two of those square fixtures high pressure sodium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cakesmith handyman posted:

That looks like one of the mounts that come with the pop socket things my wife uses for her phone.

I grabbed a couple of Pop Sockets from work when we clearanced a few for $1.

Then realized the dash mounts don't let you angle them. At all. :argh:

But that's not a pop socket mount. If it's a phone mount, it's magnetic.