Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I had the same realization that the hosts had about having forgotten that I saw Clifford. It took me until they describe the dinosaur ride to do it though.

The WHM rerun really makes me wish they put in as many sound clips nowadays as they did in these old eps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Hush Little Baby would be a good "sequel" to their invisible child episode.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
What's the deal with the lovely audio in this weeks flophouse?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
A return to form Flophouse this week, I thought.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Another good starting place is the Bratz movie.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
They do talk about Thinner a lot but I think it's a pretty decent movie overall, so I doubt that. Creepshow is silly and weird but it's that way on purpose, so it's a pretty soft target. I would say that it's one of the only truly good horror anthologies, I mean it hits the horror comic book tone so pitch perfectly. Creepshow 2 however is fair game, but it does have one good story that I can recall.

I hope it's Lawnmower Man as well. Somehow that dumb movie scared me when I was a kid, and I have no idea how.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Creepshow 2 has The Raft which is loving outstanding and comes very close to making watching the entire film worth it.

Creepshow 1 is one of, if not the best horror anthology film ever made and should be watched by all horror fans.

Yeah The Raft is the one story I was talking about. The cartoon bookends of the movie are the pits though.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, we did a whole Stephen King month a year or two ago for Alcohollywood, and Creepshow was the one we picked for our actual Halloween episode. It's bonkers in the most delightful way.

"METEOR poo poo!"

The old episodes aren't up on itunes are they? Also, I've noticed a weird thing when I try to stream your podcast or download it with cellular data. Streaming usually cuts off a minute or two in, and if I download it it'll give a really weird progress bar and eventually fail. I have to get your podcasts whenever I'm connected to wifi. I use the iphone podcast app, which amittedly has its problems, but ALcohollywood is the only thing I've noticed it doing this with.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hewlett posted:

That's strange; we used to have problems with the Apple podcast app, but to my understanding they'd worked themselves out a while ago. Is it still happening?

As for the old episodes thing, you're correct; unfortunately, we have to cap our max results or else our RSS feed gets too big for iTunes to read and it won't put new episodes up. After all, RSS feeds aren't meant to act as an archive for your podcast, just a way to update the newest stuff - our King stuff, for example, was posted all the way back in 2012. They're all still available on our site or where we host them on Tindeck, if you want to grab old episodes.

Yeah. I just tried to stream one, and it said it was only 2 minutes long, and cut off at the end of that. Weird.

edit: although I did try to stream an old episode.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 18, 2014

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Come to think of it Dan did plug MBMBAM last time.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Man Jessie Thorn is a funny guy and Maxfun has a great bunch of podcasts but him starting the podcast with a money plea was super tacky. I don't remember that ever happening on other podcasts that join.

That said, great episode, Hallie is a national treasure, and I'm sure they're gonna be great fits in the network.

I kind of wish she was a permanent host.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Next week WHM movie looks to be Halloween 2 or I Still Know What You Did Last Summer.

It's the latter for sure. 10 year rule, and I think they all kind of like the Rob Zombie Halloweens.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I don't get how you guys can't tell the WHM people apart, they all sound very different to me. I am totally flabbergasted that anyone can't tell Dan/Stuart apart. Stuart talks in a pretty weird way in general, they have different pitches to their voices and different accents. I'm starting to think people who like movie podcasts all have some sort of sensory impairing brain damage.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Or Griz Biz 3: Escape from Griz Mountain

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

fingerpaint posted:

That's really my chief problem with them. They have good , funny content, but more often then not, it either goes away from the film too much, or it is in the mailbag section, which should be a separate episode, in my opinion.

The Flophouse has more in common with MBMBAM than it does other movie podcasts. That's just kind of what the show is.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I really hope its a Star Trek Q reference and it'll be one of his many weird lovely movies. The Johnny Mnemonic episode was fine, but I feel like it's a waste to pick really well known movies during the listener request month. I mean Mrs. Doubtfire was good episode too, but come on, give me more Hider in the Houses.

Their recent animation damnation was great.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The live Flophouse was fun. Special guest star David Lastnamewithheld Kalan shows up at the end and its pretty great.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I think she was just vaguely upset about anthropomorphizing animals and had a hard time putting it into words.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I would say that Reality Bites is too good to do, but maybe I'm not remembering Reality Bites well.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The WHM guys feel the same way I do about GATTACA and Reality Bites. "Pretty good I guess," and "Don't really remember and scared to revisit it"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

bbf2 posted:

Was their "mail in art school guy" voice based on a real art school guy whose commercials run in New York or something or was it something they just totally came up with out of the blue? It seemed oddly specific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz2nu4a1LyI

They ran nationwide. The school itself has been around for generations, I remember my Dad saying he sent something in when he was a little kid.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kangra posted:

A great Flophouse with one of the best starts ever. I hope they keep playing Radio Zork, and I'd love to see Hayley Mills as Blofed. It's a podcast about talking.

It's a loving great ep all around.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Haha, Dongs

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Heteroy posted:

I figure it's worth noting that the hosts of The Worst Idea of All Time Podcast finished their run of watching Grown Ups 2 every week for a year, capped off by a trip to Los Angeles for their final watch, and matching tattoos of bit-player Patrick Schwarzenegger.

They've just released the first episode of The Worst Idea of All Time Podcast: Season Two, wherein they will watch Sex and the City 2 once a week for the next 52 weeks. They seem elated to be watching anything other than Grown Ups 2. I wonder how many watches of Sex and the City 2 it will take to completely cleanse them of that.

I started going through those a few weeks ago but only made it to about episode 11 or something and they already started to seem like they were breaking, finding it hard to talk about the movie at all. Does the podcast improve after that?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Here's hoping WHM is Moontrap next week.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
This is dangerous.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, yeah, but I feel like that was more personal. Like he got stuck doing the transcription once.

A legal pad killed his daddy

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I can't imagine only seeing 1, I've seen nearly 100 of them. This is a "bad" movie podcast so I guess it isn't really the biggest sin in the world. It's not like this list is AFI's... It's not even IMDB.

edit: I only watched one because of WHM as well, and that was Tuff Turf. I regret nothing. They really need to do a "sequel" to that episode and do Class of 1984

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The stinger on this flophouse episode was pretty great

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It's gotta be Angels in the Outfield

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kevino07 posted:

Maybe it's Star Trek III? They are huge Trekkies, although I guess if they were doing Star Trek again, V would be more likely.

Yeah. Although they did seem to think Insurrection was a better target than Nemesis, so I'm not sure they're totally trustworthy on that front.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Nemesis is bad but at least they were trying. Insurrection felt like a 2 parter of the show, and one of the bad ones. And it had Riker pilot the Enterprise with a joystick. And the effects looked like poo poo because ILM left to go do The Phantom Menace. And Worf got a pimple. And Data could be used as a flotation deice.

Insurrection is my least favorite Star Trek movie. It's seriously a boring piece of poo poo.

Nemesis wasn't trying, it was hot garbage. It was clumsy remake of WOK and is one of the few movies I actually got angry watching. A boring two-parter would be high loving praise for Nemesis. It's easily the worst trek movie ever, it was directed by a man who hadn't seen any episodes TNG, and it sunk the franchise.

"Trying" my rear end.

Edit: dune-buggy combat, special-needs Data, a whole new more eviler Romulan planet, empty death of a main character. It loving sucks.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 10, 2015

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

NewtonFig posted:

Is HDTGM even trying to be coherent anymore? I realize the show has always had people talking over each other, but Jupiter Ascending is incomprehensible. They do one minute of plot synopsis and then start jumping all over the place babbling about lizards with leather jackets and egg harvesting. Should I just assume at this point that I need to watch the movie before listening?

It has been like that for a while, it's why I stopped listening years ago. I feel like I should go back and maybe cherry pick a few episodes, because I did find Monkey Shines to be very funny for obvious reasons. I like all three of the hosts a lot, but their near constant confusion about what's going on and the yelling it triggers got too frustrating for me.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

The Island of Dr. Moreau needs to be listened to.

I actually started it but bailed a few minutes in because Jason wasn't there.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

NewtonFig posted:

I've now listened to two podcasts that talk about Jupiter Ascending and still have no idea what's going on in it.

Mila Kunis is the janitor-queen of earth and she fucks a dog-man. What's the confusion?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I hope next WHM is Medicine Man

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Reading King Solomon's Mine decodes Congo.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Infamous Sphere posted:

Yeah I dunno, I think they'll be fine. They have a pretty broad general knowledge. I read King Solomon's Mines as a kid, after finding a rundown of it in a book that was more or less "abridged classics for children" and then finding the original book in the library. And even if they haven't read the book, there's a possibility that they'll have watched the films. Most of the other stuff is at least mentioned in passing in various English classes. I think King Solomon's Mines hasn't lasted in the same way because it's dated as gently caress, much like those Arthur Conan Doyle books he wanted to write instead of Holmes, about lost worlds and mysterious islands and whatever else.

King Solomon's Mines is dated of course, but I don't really get why that would have stopped it from being remembered more. I mean Tarzan is remembered well and so is other worse and more racist "lost world" poo poo. This is more of a discussion for a different thread, but I always liked the book a lot. It's a good 19th century adventure novel by a guy who, while certainly being a product of his times, really liked the continent of Africa and it's people. I mean, there's plenty of racism to be found there but I bet the author would be bummed out being interpreted that way.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Infamous Sphere posted:

Yeah, I definitely enjoyed it and it wasn't nearly as racist as it could have been. But RE Tarzan - has anyone ever actually read Tarzan, or are they just going off the movies? I'd say that even fewer people have read Tarzan than have read the original Wizard of Oz book.
Again though, discussion for another thread. Just interesting to think that for some reason King Solomon's Mines isn't anywhere near in the public consciousness as much as The Wizard of Oz or Alice in Wonderland or even Tarzan is.

I read Tarzan as a kid because I was given a collection of the books bound in a huge hard-to-handle paperback. I liked the first one a lot but the later ones aren't as good, sort of like how the sequel to KSMs isn't as good. But yeah I think it's just a cultural touchstone now, because I don't think most people read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

Seriously doubt they'd do a bond movie, although I would enjoy it. If they did, it would probably have to be Diamonds Are Forever, unless they want to get into the racial issues of You Only Live Twice or the rapey issues of Thunderball.

Lol what if it's zardoz.

Do WHM movies have an age rule? I seem to recall they have a 10 year rule but I don't see any episodes going further than the mid 80s

Yeah, it's probably Zardoz. How did I forget about Zardoz.