Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The_Rob posted:

Old dogs is a great episode just for how bizarre that movie is.

I'd throw in Barb Wire just for June's insane defense of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

weekly font posted:

What would you like to see in a bad movie podcast or what about the ones that exist do you not like?

I hate We Hate Movies because it sounds like two dumb kids riffing in mom's basement. Its not funny, its not interesting and it doesn't provide me, the listener, with any value. Remember, your podcast is a product and you want other people to consume that product. Don't be lazy and think you can riff on the fly; prepare your material in advance. Also, learn when to drop a bit. If something isn't funny the first time you say it, it isn't going to be funny the fiftieth time. Pull what comedy you can out of an idea and then move on. Finally, and most importantly, don't do impressions. I don't know you, I've never heard your voice, but you don't sound like Yoda, Christopher Walker, Sean Connery, Christophe Waltz, John Wayne, Elvis, Samuel L. Jackson, Truimph the Hand Puppet Dog or whoever you want to do an impression of. Its not funny, its just tiresome.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PonchAxis posted:

One of my favorite moments of HDTGM was in the After Earth episode when June said she thinks she liked the movie and immediately everyone is just like WHAT!?

June's great in that episode because she went to the bathroom, came back and thought Will Smith had superpowers.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
To see a man be so vulnerable like that and to be blind and he's also a superhero.. to me and maybe other woman feel this: what could be better?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

College Rockout posted:

Yea, I found that part to be super upsetting

Yeah, but they're right on the nose with their Matthew Broderick observations.

Sucks out his life essence, indeed. Holy poo poo what a sad-looking guy.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

clocksmash posted:

Paul sort of rubs me the wrong way in general, but Jason Mantzoukas could save any podcast. And I live for June's earnest bewilderment.

I forget which episode it was, but Jason yelling at the woman who brought her baby to the show was the funniest thing HDTGM ever did.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
How do you grow up in the 80s and 90s and never go to an arcade? I'm June's age and I lived in arcades and knew the location of every arcade game in a 20 mile radius :iiam:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Mortal Kombat is a button smasher, right? A button smasher.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

When Mantzoukis is basically playing an idiot on the podcast, and yet is continually astounded when June completely fails to understand the most basic concepts in the movie, what the hell is going on with her.

I think it has a lot to do with the language of the movies they're watching. Paul and Jason understand nerdy comic book and sci-fi movies because they've been watching them their entire lives. June, presumably, hasn't. So when a movie uses a lot of language specific to the genre (like Street Fighter), June is completely lost. On the other hand, June has no problem digesting bad romcoms or female-centric plotlines in action movies because those are the kinds of movies she watches and enjoys. See, for example, her take on Twilight: Breaking Dawn and Barbarella.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Disappointed to hear about How Did This Get Made's new schedule this morning. One episode a month is not nearly enough. Can't Paul and June get a nanny like every other Hollywood power couple?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The Ape of Naples posted:

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but what was wrong with Tom Lennon? I'm usually a fan when he's on a podcast.

He does his own thing and it disrupts the show's normal flow. He gets better later on, but the first 30 minutes are really bad.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 26, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm not a lady so clearly I'm not the target audience, but the only joke in rear end Backwards that got a laugh out of me was the one with the gravestones saying June Diane Raphael and Casey Wilson were 29.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Dark Weasel posted:

Making movies is hard.

Well, good movies. Now that everything's digital, any idiot can make a bad movie.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
'Jason really likes Bunheads.'

Jason Mantzoukas is the best.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Did they finally realize that although having a baby is a large commitment, you can probably pull together a few hours a month to do some work?

In all fairness, they're first time parents. They probably didn't realize that being pregnant/raising a baby is 90% sitting around on your fat rear end.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Ghyewbee

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Infamous Sphere posted:

Was this movie known of at the time it came out? Or was it quickly forgotten about/buried in a pile of other releases or something?

I definitely saw it in theaters and a bunch of times on video. Don't quite remember why, but I think it had something to do with 1) being too young to accurately judge the quality of movies from their trailers and 2) liking Martin Short from SNL reruns on Comedy Central.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
June saying Evil Ernest had more sexual energy than Travolta in his prime was worth the month of reruns.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
For those who listen to HDTGM, they teased the last line of the movie but I don't think they ever said what it was. Well, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1e5h9YSe_k

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
No Jason or June, no thanks.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I think of the flop house boys as the friends I'm too awkward to make in real life.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Stallone must have a pretty good sense of humor to do Sheer's podcast after all jokes they make about him on HDTGM.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

LesterGroans posted:

Just caught up on HDTGM and, man, the Rhinestone episode is great. All the HDTGM live episodes are instant classics.

Speaking of which:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNPPf4RbQeg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGGF_-b9ZW4

Yeah, its just like My Fair Lady

if they had let Audrey Hepburn do her own singing.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Infamous Sphere posted:

And I realised that almost any movie with a nanny is prime for WHM glory. Invisible Child, Mrs Doubtfire, Hand that Rocks the Cradle, etc. Also, would "Houseguest" fit into the "family infiltrator" genre? :p I just think movies with nannies/family infiltrators end up being prime Lifetime level glory.

Mrs. Doubtfire is a good movie, though.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
People weren't happy with Woodward and Bernstein, either.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
June both plays and is literally "the average woman." That's what makes her endearing because, unlike hipster comediennes, June's the kind of woman you probably grew up with and know in your personal life. She sincerely believes in ghosts, doesn't feel the need to fit in with the guys and has her own, girly, interests.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
To me, the shot of a man's rear end--and I think I speak for all women--does nothing.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
June always seems to miss episodes tailor-made for her input: Zardoz, Twilight 4, that movie about the time traveling angel.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Infamous Sphere posted:

I tried to listen to A Talking Cast and I just couldn't. It might be because I tried to jump in with a random episode, but it just didn't grab me in any way, shape or form. Worst Idea of All Time was better, I got to about..episode 27 before I gave up (because around episode 26/27 is one where they're just drunk and incredibly off topic and downright incomprehensible.)

You listened to 27+ hours of people talking about a 90 minute movie over and over again and your biggest complaint is that they didn't stay on-topic.

Honest question: what is wrong with you?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Granted, it just seems masochistic to spend over a day of your life listening to the same two people dissect the same bad movie over and over and over again. There's so much beauty in the world, so why waste one's fleeting time on this, of all things?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

NewtonFig posted:

jumping all over the place babbling about lizards with leather jackets and egg harvesting

That's Jupiter Ascending in a nutshell.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

NewtonFig posted:

Are the Minisodes worth listening to?

No.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Crisco Kid posted:

Are there any good podcasts with the tone of WHM or HDTGM, but with a focus on movies the cast enjoyed? The Face Off and Fast and Furious episodes are some of my favorites because not only is everyone losing their mind over the more insane aspects of the films, but they're genuinely having a great time, and it's fun to listen to.

Have you tried just making friends?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The audience question segment made the episode for me. Who takes a girl to a podcast taping on a date? Let alone a bad movie podcast about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
So I guess it'll be a month before we get another audible episode of How Did This Get Made?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Tato posted:

Also, I hope they never do live shows in New York again. The crowds seem to be really insufferable there lately and shout out things frequently and then episode devolves into Jason just having nothing but contempt for everyone in the crowd. The LA shows always make for a good time.

:sigh: People from the west coast just don't understand New York.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The show runs an hour and a half and the break between shows is, what, a half hour to 45 minutes? That means they had around 3 hours to find a working tape recorder (or whatever) after they learned theirs wasn't working, and still make the second show. The fact that they didn't smacks of unprofessionalism/laziness/whatever.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Heteroy posted:

So unprofessional! I demand a refund!

I would love to be able to "refund" a podcast. The worst thing you can do now is, what, give it a bad iTunes review? It'd be cool if you could click a button and take away a download or something so they don't get your advertising bucks if they do something stupid like record an episode with an iPhone, eat during the show or yawn into the mic.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Unfortunately, June and Jason won't be there, and the episode will be recorded on a tape recorder with mini-cassette tapes, which will then be played back into an iphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Brocktoon posted:

Isn't Watto a racist Jewish caricature, not a racist Italian caricature?

Same general vicinity.