Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

DrVenkman posted:

I really think it's a shame that The Flophouse and HDTGM both get regular reviews in the AV Club on a weekly basis while WHM and others are ignored, particularly since it's not like either of those need the help. A few of the commentators mention it each week but it never gets any traction. It's worse when one (or both) of those have a lovely week and they still do a write-up.
This has been one of my biggest gripes with podcasting in general, though it may just be a bit of saltiness on my part. It's a medium that anyone with a mic and a computer can get into, yet unless you are already an established name from the entertainment world good luck getting anyone to talk about your work ever.

Here is my two step guide to a successful podcast.

1. Get a computer and mic and twitter account.

2. Have a built in following from a prior entertainment gig.

What you weren't in the groundlings or on SNL? Too bad, better luck next time.

Edit: Is "people aren't enjoying these terrible movies on a show made to make fun of terrible movies" seriously a complaint I just read?

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Well I think those lads are funny. :colbert:

And when the podmass stuff kicked off I expected different shows to be covered every week considering how much is out there, when I noticed it was just a write up of pretty much the same shows every week I thought it was a bit of a lost opportunity to help shows grow their audience.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

scary ghost dog posted:

Nothing. I've never listened to it. I just think that dude complaining that you have to be famous or have famous friends to be successful at podcasting is an idiot.

Hey guy: Podcasting is not a career for anyone. NOBODY podcasts for a living.

Adam Carolla. 5 shows a week, income from live shows and running a podcast network with sponsors.

And I agree, it certainly isn't impossible to break in without prior notoriety. But instead of calling me an idiot because you disagree with me, is there any decent coverage of podcasts similar to podmass that covers beyond the same 10-15 on a consistent basis? I am not making some argument, I'm genuinely curious because I haven't seen it.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 20, 2013

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Call Me Charlie posted:

Judging a movie on its own merits should be Film Criticism 101.

Spending a hour going "Armageddon did _____! Why didn't this do _______? It's so dumb at least Armageddon did _______" is just plain lazy.

I think you misunderstood the complaint. They were not complaining that the film was not what they expected. The complaint was the film was not what was advertised to them. Here is the theatrical trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTkfk4dCnu8
Pay close attention to the last minute of the trailer which is non-stop cuts of action and SFX shots. The film was advertised as another big summer blockbuster disaster movie extravaganza, not the 2 hour family drama set among the backdrop of disaster that the film actually was.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Whatever you do, DO NOT look up how much was spent to make food fight, you will weep for humanity.

They may have gotten into this in the podcast, my memory is hazy and I think the Boondock 2 podcast went into this a bit more but if after 3 years your lovely cgi film is trying to get off the ground, just stop, it was never meant to be. The hard drives didn't get stolen, it was divine intervention, god wanted to get involved but not too involved. He made the hard drives disappear but when they just started over he threw his hands up. Also I'm kinda surprised at how sparse the wiki/imdb for food fight is, between the theft and 10 years in the making I expected a lot more said about the film. After seeing a clip and hearing about the thefts I just assumed it was all some kind of insurance scam.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh hey, I'm not crazy for finding How Did This Get Made completely obnoxious! I think the Super Mario Brothers episode was the last straw for me, they spent half the time bickering over NOTHING and missed out on a lot of insane stuff in the movie they could have mocked. Flophouse is way better - when I'm out of new podcasts I just pick a flophouse episode at random to listen to.

My biggest complaint over the last few months is them dropping any attempts to tell you how the movie unfolds, earlier episodes and other podcasts talk about a film scene by scene and if you haven't seen the film you could still summarize it to another person. Their lack of focus over the last few months has turned it into an explanation of a few wacky scenes or premises with no indicator of the pacing or flow of a film.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
I hope someday WHM and other podcasts figure out that you can patch in a recording device between the mic's and the PA. Scream 3 episode isn't awful but I tried at least 3 times to get through the cliffhanger episode. Mic-ing the room doesn't produce good results.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Flython posted:

This weeks WHM is excellent and there's a new listener request month coming up so get your entries in.

:allears: Peter Falk angel :allears:

I'm considering a request for Brainscan but it's been so long since I've seen it, I can't remember if that movie is funny bad or just kinda lame bad.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Every movie podcast needs a June, this Jack Frost episode is amazing.

E: Oh no, those second opinions are so funny I died am now posting as a resurrected snow man (it works, don't tell.)

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 16, 2014

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Evil Mastermind posted:

It always amazes me how these people use Amazon as a sort of one-shot blog to talk about their personal problems or whatever.

It's like loveline where my ability to feel sympathy is severely hampered by the medium being used to tell the story. It goes past sad into a bit of "well this is just pathetic."

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

MadScientistWorking posted:

I think some of the best material the We Hate Movies people have done is on Blame it On Outer Space. For some reason I find the crews humor much more entertaining on that show.

Any episode suggestions? I listened to war on xmas and Denver airport and although a big fan of We Hate Movies, I was not too huge on what I had heard.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
I know I'm a few days late but a theatre full of people and no one walked on stage to slap the mic outta Sanz' hand while proclaiming, "motherfucker, you're a star of boat trip, an hour and a half of poo poo gay jokes, you don't get to snark on other movies."

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It helps that I'm a wrestling fan but I was weeping with laughter at the idea of "Weekend At Vince's" and everything associated with that tangent.

It's how No Holds Barred got made. Almost unrelated side tangent but that podcast with stone cold where Vince describes the rush of pushing an unawares person into a pool. Pure Vince

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
I listen to podcasts at work, that's 40 hours a week to fill, I love big meaty podcasts like Dan Carlin's crazy 20+ hours of World War One.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

OrangeKing posted:

So, who sent in the mailbag letter to WHM? Come on stairs boy, you know who you are!

Came here to post this, someone fess up. Could be in that WHM cineD thread I keep forgetting to follow

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
If someone made an edit that cuts out all the Violent J scenes it'd be a drat funny movie.

Edit: I'm going to answer some of your questions as I listen to the podcast so thisll be in order as things come up in the show. You likely don't care but it's a thing to do.

The movie was written by Violent J himself then the director added 30 pages to the 40 page script.

The gambler that got his hand broken wasn't a Ron Jeremy double role, that was 80s wrestling manager Jimmy Hart, who also produced many of WCW's 90's grunge rip off wrestler themes and some iconic 80s wrestler themes such as the Honky-Tonk Man.
http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=6864331 (short write up about Jimmy Hart)

The gold front grill you guys wondered about was a character thing and a carry over from the first movie where the idiot lackey roles were suburban youth acting tough.

Hack Benjamin is in both movies and played by the real life brother of Violent J.

The Greek chorus character is played by Scott Hall, but his more memorable name is Razor Ramon. (That early 90s wrestler that was a good Al Pacino Scarface ripoff)

The joke about 2x4s tied to butts is a callback to a joke that the whore has so much sex her vagina is huge and without a long item strapped to you, one would fall in and be lost forever.

Rustlas is probably overall more funny than Hustlas and I can't really suggest checking it out aside from a few scenes. The sidekick role is played by Harlan Williams and most of his stuff is gold (if you like his schtick.)

This is maybe the best scene and totally worth your three minutes.
http://youtu.be/q8XlVWJFL9A
Also I just remembered, it's either a reason to watch or avoid depending on your outlook but all of the main characters lines rhyme like a terrible blaxploitation film.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 29, 2016

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

theironjef posted:

This is pretty goddamn terrible compared to Rustlas, but I really like the delivery of "I'm in an ape suit! That means I don't give a gently caress!"

I'm glad you picked up on that, it's why I chose that scene, easily the line of the movie. It muat have been one of the first scenes filmed, you can hear Violent J cracking up under the gorilla mask the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Drunkboxer posted:

I think the WHM guys are dork-sandbagging with some of the feigned fantasy/d&d ignorance.

As someone that may have played d&d in the back room of a comic shop around age 13 I couldn't help but think, "you know guys, film nerd movie podcaster maybe isn't too far of a jump from what you're laughing at." But you know, it's okay to like a movie (or table top game) and all in good fun.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 6, 2016