Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

ChronoReverse posted:

He's also better off in taking Asia for the Second Wave options he's selected because he can't do the Satellite Rush thing everyone likes. Africa is the best start but that's only because you can Satellite Rush normally. On I/I that's already not a 100% given and with the Second Wave settings Beagle has, it's not an option at all. Although it really doesn't matter because I don't think you can win with the combination of settings he's chosen even if he aced every mission.

I'd actually like to try just playing the macro game with these settings, and just cheating through missions for the best results. Just to see how far you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Casull posted:

Wow, do you hate your friends that much? :v:

Yes, guys, I tried Ironman Impossible because I wanted to know how far I could get.

The answer? Not very loving far at all!

So now I'm just going to slink back to a normal game. I completed the tutorial, then decided I didn't like my layout and restarted, and now I've got cash flow problems. I'm playing at Africa and I'm jump-starting building as many satellites and satellite uplinks as possible and oh look I'm out of money again and I have to resist the temptation to take the money quests because I could always use more scientists and engineers.

If you hold off on building your first satellites until there's 21 days left to the council report, then they'll be cheaper to build because of the engineers you got from abduction missions. And, running out of money isn't really a problem. You're supposed to spend it all.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Death by Cranes posted:

Dear mother of God, I just realised that the Council mission Beagle just played (Live #3) is the same map as a regular abduction mission!

Why can't they just do that with every map - have numerous entry points so we have more ways of playing the same map! Bastards!

Aren't all of the council mission maps also abduction maps?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm not sure if the vip limo rescue and the general rescue have abduction counterparts. Then again, even with the amount of time I've put into the game, with how short abductions last it's entirely reasonable that I've missed a few.

According to this:
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Maps_%28EU2012%29

The one with the general is also a terror mission (apparently the only one that isn't also an abduction mission), and the limo one is an abduction mission.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

BluGayRayver posted:

Quick question, is this game more stable on the consoles (specifically PS3) than the PC version? I have the PC version but it continually crashes after about 4 hours of gameplay. It became unplayable.

I see that this is now only $40 on the PS Store, and I was wondering if I should get it. I really enjoyed the game but I could not complete it due to the constant crashes at random moments.

The crashing problem is not normal. Make sure your drivers are up to date, and verify the game files through steam.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
White supports, red heavies, blue snipers, pink assaults. That's the way I've always done it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I believe that there is an initial damage on hit that can kill you but the poison effect does not.

In beagle's video, his guys died from the poison damage.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Those odds seem pretty bad at that range.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If In the Zone is really only worth it against cryssalids, You can make a DT sniper for normal missions, and an ITZ sniper for terror missions.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I didn't know it was possible to lose so many soldiers in the first month.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Orgophlax posted:

Adding 1 extra condition to a spawn script isn't going to increase CPU or memory usage in any meaningful way.

It's not just one check, it's checks for whether a patrolling unit's path is at any point visible by a player's units. Which still shouldn't be at all computationally intensive, but there has to be some reason why it hasn't been patched yet.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The thing is that the game is already keeping track of which tiles you can see. There doesn't need to be an addition line of sight calculation.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I don't change my soldiers at all. I feel like I'm destroying a person.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Broose posted:

I tried to play this game again. Last time I touched it was about a week after release. I never beat it, I think I got bogged down trying to clear supply ships and then just kinda forgot about it. I've found that I just don't have the luck for this game. First mission, I activate group and fall back to full cover. Immediately get one shotted from across the (small) map.

It's like Murphy had materialized to deliver a swift kick to the balls himself. All I can do is throw my hands up in defeat.

I decided to try and watch some videos of people playing impossible to try and crib some playstyles to not die so fast. This guy is the first result. I don't know how he does it. He has luck I could only dream about. 60% shots might as well be misses outright for me. Is impossible somehow easier than classic in some ways?

60% shots might as well be misses, full stop. You can't rely on them to hit. It's better to hunker down and make sure your guy lives to maneuver into a better position next turn than take a low percentage shot and hope the other guy dies. A 60% shot is a 40% chance of an alien shooting at you next turn.

Also, people will die. Lots of people will die. Don't sweat one death.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Supraluminal posted:

Alright, yeah, I clearly should be using that mod. Removing the delay on Overwatch and Hunker Down alone makes it worth installing.

I didn't realize there was a delay on overwatch. I always seem to be able to overwatch as fast as I can push the buttons.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Lewd Mangabey posted:

91% of the time it is.

and 9% of the time it isn't.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Waffles Inc. posted:

If the first one's subtitle is 'Enemy Unknown', then wouldn't it be 'Enemy Within'?

A competing XCOM-like organization?!

That sounds like a great name for an expansion that includes base defense.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Purgey posted:

LIZARD PEOPLE! :getin:

Seriously though, a TFTD expansion would rule so hard.

If they did a TFTD expansion, they should call it X-Clam: Anemone Unknown. :v:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Alchenar posted:

Entirely by panic level.

Panic level then money bonus.

If you didn't start in Africa, it's not really worth it to rush for Africa right away, since the countries themselves don't give a lot of money. Which is why it's so good to start in Africa, because then you don't have to put satellites over its countries, and can instead just go for US and Russia straight off.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

XboxPants posted:

I was a little disappointed when I researched and built this badass Firestorm alien death ship but I'm still using plain-old Terran-tech Skyrangers for missions. Don't get me wrong, those ships are great, but is there ever an upgrade that lets you send out soldiers on a space ship?

Considering how much the xcom project needs more skyrangers, but are unable to get them, it must be pretty expensive to build.

The entire alien invasion could be easily repelled with 2 extra skyrangers. There must be a pretty good reason why they can't get more.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Brainamp posted:

Okay, just loaded up a game I started last night. Impossible difficulty, second mission.

So this was a comedy of errors. The dead guy and the panicked guy were in overwatch, while the other two were hunkered down. Alien's turn and that dead sectoid rambos out of the building across the way. I thought that the only ones I had alerted were in front of the store I'm behind right now. So my overwatchers take him down, but the dead guy punched open the door on his way to shoot for god knows what reason. This opened up a line of sight to the sectoid in front of the store who shot at the dead guy and hit him, but didn't kill him. Cue him panicking and taking a shot at the sectoid, killing it. Amazing shot, especially since his accuracy was 50. Then the the hunkered down assault beside him decides to panic as well and turns around to unload a round into his face, killing instantly. Then the other overwatcher by the car panics, but thankfully just hunkers down. And that all coulda been prevented if dead guy hadn't decided to open the door to shoot a sectoid.

Why do your guys have so much health if it's just the second mission?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

SlothfulCobra posted:

Gunslinger may make the sniper's pistol comparable to an assault rifle, but the sniper rifle is still a goddamn death cannon that you should make sure that your sniper can use as often as possible.

Right, so you should take squadsight so that you don't have to move your sniper up and can just shoot twice.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It takes the will of the trainee, divides it by a constant (SW_RARE_PSI), then takes the result of that, and divides it by (1+number of psionics)

Not really possible to infer exactly how rare it is without knowing what SW_RARE_PSI, but your odds of geting your second psionic is half of what it took to get your first, and your third is a third of what it took to get the first.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Emong posted:

iChance is probably a float and they just wanted to use integer division for that first statement.

The will is cast to a float, and then divided, and then the result is cast to an int. It's float division here.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Classic Ironman isn't that bad. Just be prepared to unlearn all of the bad habits you picked up playing normal.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Groetgaffel posted:

Eh yes? It says "They only have one charge without the Repair perk." in the quote from my post.
Problem is, Repair is a tier 4 perk available only to one of the 8 classes.

E: I can only hope that Enemy Without Hats Within fixes some or most of the few issues I have with the game, and/or adds official mod support.
Games that actually supports mods tend to have a far higher number of good ones, and of higher quality.
(And also a flood of terrible cringeworthy ones, but that's Nexus for you.)

I feel pretty good about the fact that XCOM is on the nexus and yet there's no nude mods.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Isn't the console version an entirely separate game? It would make sense, then. Otherwise, you'd have to re-buy all your DLC.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
That leads to a good question: If you could mix and match any 7 skills, what would they be?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Brotato Broth posted:

What's the ideal number of teams to keep around towards the endgame? Heal times are getting atrociously long and I want to stop skipping missions because of personnel shortages.

I'm not this terrible at strategy games but this game's just loving inscrutable for me, what with getting spotted from impossible ranges and losing all my ranked dudes in a bullshit surprise defense mission.

What difficulty are you playing on?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Playing my first game with Enemy Within, two and a half months in and Ive got panic managed just about everywhere but had to give up Asia. Is mimetic skin worth it? Good for snipers I take it?

I have it on everybody but my sniper. You just turn your entire squad invisible and squadsight the enemies to death. On top of that, you don't trigger aliens, so you can start the encounter by hitting the entire group with a rocket. You can also play the game of shoot then run and hide for complete invincibility. It's really good.

Also, I don't get why people are saying ITZ/Snapshot is the way to go. ITZ works just fine with squadsight for me.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If by not throwing the grenade, you're letting an alien get a free shot on you, you should throw the grenade. Dead men can't keep the grenades for later.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

idonotlikepeas posted:

I do agree that the Long War air game kind of is bullshit, incidentally. You use two interceptors to down one small UFO and they're both out of commission for two weeks afterward. You're basically guaranteed to lose in the air for ages.

This is kinda by design, though. You're not supposed to start out winning in the air. The aliens are going to take a few countries and shoot down a few satellites before eventually your research lets you bounce back and start taking the fight to them. Once you have control of the air, you're denying the aliens of so much that you've won the game.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

WaltherFeng posted:

With this and MGSV I'll be set for life.

The question is: Which game has the sexier snake?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
So, really, what needs to happen, is that they need to front the actual odds of bleeding out on a given turn, and that would be fine with you?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Stephen9001 posted:

Why poo poo? The fact you now feel obligated to tell us if you win?

On a different note, Beagle has a Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff shirt, meaning he is (probably) a Homestuck fan. This is a thing I found interesting.

I didn't realize that the two were related.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Zomborgon posted:

:confused: It takes up most of my 27 inch monitor and is 2997x1377 pixels, but okay, here's a bigger one updated for Enemy Within:

The image you posted was 200x92

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Pohl posted:

I might actually do that on Classic because I keep losing the Air War on Impossible. Stop leaving you loving countries! :argh:
Edit: In original. gently caress vanilla, what a horrible way to describe a game. :argh:

Countries are supposed to leave in LW. When you get base assaults, that's when you take them back.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Phrosphor posted:

lol if you don't think income projections didn't factor in. Heavily. It's a good thing though if it means the crunch isn't quite as hard.

Yeah, they predicted that if they released a broken game it wouldn't sell as well.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

HenryEx posted:

Hello i've downloaded an XCOM game for the first time in my life and now the game wants me to choose between Enemy Within and Enemy Unknown, what do i choose as a first-timer.

EW is the expansion. EU is the base game. You can pick either and it wouldn't be wrong. Don't think that you need to play EU first, since EW is just EU but with more things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
What exactly is this "Beaglerush Maneuver" that needs nerfing? I watched beagle's videos and it didn't look like he was doing anything weird in ambushes.

• Locked thread