Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I haven't played this game in a few weeks now because of school, work and politics (real nerd), but I've just entered the Mothership. How much longer do I have, relatively speaking, until I finish the game?

I would also like to thank this entire thread for helping me through the game, and coolguye for convincing me to play on classic difficulty. I played about 20 hours on normal and thought it was hard, then came across his arguments for classic difficulty and started a new game. Then I started a new game. Then I started a new game... I'm glad I did though, even if I hated him for 3 or 4 days. The dynamics of the game really were fundamentally better and it wasn't that it was harder, it was that it was just that much more brutal. It really made the game more personal.

I do have a question, once you have mind controlled an alien, can you kill them? Sure you can toss grenades and rockets at them, but is there a simpler and less expensive option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Yeah, that is what I meant. Sometimes I use them as scouts and they get so far ahead of my team that I can't surround them though. Then, when they turn, they don't have to activate so they pop up with a grenade out of nowhere and cause mass havoc. I'll have to rethink my strategy. Thanks.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Well, I put 90 hours into it before I finally finished a game. I'd definitely rank it up there with some of my favorite games, and I almost reflexively started a new game.
Sorry X-COM, it is time for you to go into the closet for awhile.

Godspeed "Bull". :patriot:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

I'm on my second play-through of Enemy Within; I didn't finish the first one, I only played long enough to get a feel for the expansion. In the first mission I had the St. John's mission very early, it was a terrifying experience of low level soldiers with ballistic weapons against Chryssalids. That mission did not end well.

This play-through, I didn't get the mission until November. :hist101:

Being familiar with the map this time around, and having awesome tech and capable soldiers, I farmed the entire map for all it was worth. In fact, after awhile, the aliens quit spawning until I hit the button. Even after I hit the launch button, though, the trip back to the pick-up zone was a walk in the park. Every single one of my soldiers had an upgrade of some kind: 5 of them leveled up, and 4 of the had psi level ups, too!

This is "Cookie". She has been around since early to mid game, so she got the 'will' perk from the Officer Training School.

I had a drat good assault, but Cookie passed her by in the will dept., so Cookie became my leader. Her aim is as good as my snipers. Plus she has psi ability. :neckbeard:

I took a bunch of new recruits along on the St. John mission. They were all mid level, but they all have psi and high will. :getin: My old A team deserves a rest, I think, so they are now retired. My biggest conundrum right now is deciding whether or not I want to delete them. They all have lovely will, and even my sniper that carried me through the early game because she never missed; well she misses everything now. Not cool Graciela! I would delete them because I want my medals back. Cookie is loaded down with medals and her stats in map are astronomical.

Operation St. John in November; an XCOM gift:

One great thing, I hid Cookie here, and the Chryssalids went nuts. They would always jump up and check her out before they jumped down to their death in Overwatch fire from the ground crew. It made the entire map a true turkey shoot.

They never attacked her, they just sniffed around her.

(I assume it is ok to link directly to steam? I think they can handle the load, plus they have a share option, that even gives you the code for Reddit).

Edit: Cookie would have a lot more kills, but she has been my problem solver for a very long time now. I'm trying to level newbies up, so if they miss all of their shots and leave themselves compromised, Cookie is the final solution. She has a drat good track record of never missing. She is an alien slayer.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 4, 2013

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I thought they nerfed that, or was that just the ghost armor cloak?

Actually that reminds me; whats more effective with memetic skin, titan armor or ghost armor?

I would say titan armor, because you don't need ghost armor. Your soldier is already capable of vanishing, so why not give them the best protection possible?

Anyway, I managed to get my 1 mech killed early on, and I never replaced him. I built a shiv and I've been using it to recon. I don't care if it dies, and not only is it a bullet sponge, it is death on wheels. My team can move incredibly fast now, because my shiv just plows ahead without worry of aliens. Even if I only move far enough to put it into overwatch, a lot of my soldiers have to sprint to keep up with it. I'm completely steamrolling maps now as I collect meld. The aliens I'm facing are incredibly dangerous too, so it isn't like my team is just walking over things. I have to be drat careful, but the shiv's giving me an early warning and chance to hide, duck, or toss an assortment of offensive / defensive grenades.

Also, my shiv has been totaled, but it has never died. It was down to 1 health in a mission, but the fucker is determined to see this through. Plus, it can't be mind controlled, so gently caress you, you big brained bastards.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 4, 2013

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Deuce posted:

"invisible" is just a 30% crit bonus now, not 100%. Source doesn't matter.

Even with mimetic skin I still run ghost armor. The 20% defense is huge and the +3 movement is also awesome. If you want more HP, throw on a chitin plate. The second item slot means it's not really giving up much of anything.

Do you really have things getting close enough to you that they do significant melee damage? Granted, one of my soldiers got whacked recently, but it wasn't enough to kill her. She self healed, and still had her scope and flash bang grenade. I probably don't even need the scope on her, but hell, I like the aim bonus. The only reason she was even hit by a melee attack was because I pushed to far and didn't account for the terrain with her memnetic skin. She should have been invisible, but she wasn't. That was a big mistake on my part, but luckily it wasn't deadly.

Edit: I completely missed the part where you wrote more hp. Sorry, that makes sense.

Edit 2: Obviously my soldier did not have a med pack, a scope and a grenade. WTF am I talking about. She had a scope and a med kit. Blargh.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 4, 2013

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

If I had my mimetic skin assault (Ricardo "Anaconda" Valdez, named so for his camo and arc thrower captures) for Newfoundland I think I could have shot Chrysalids until I got bored.

I screwed that picture up because I took the screenshot while another soldier was active, so it doesn't really represent her. :eng99: She is a colonel, but she does psi attacks whenever possible! That was also my first mission using the mimetic skin, so it took me a bit of trial and error to figure out exactly how it worked.
I did laugh when the game stopped spawning aliens. My team sat there for a long time waiting for something to happen, until I finally gave up and hit the launch button.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Lotish posted:

That seems like a problem to me. If you dismiss, they're gone anyway, so that sounds like a permanent way to lose medals.

I thought that I could dismiss and get medals back. Months later, nothing. Trust me, dismissing soldiers to reclaim medals does not work.

Edit: Which is dumb, since I could have sacrificed those soldiers to the aliens at will.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 18, 2013

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Amazon has a package with Enemy Unknown & Enemy Within for $19.99 right now. I think the price is just for today or part of today, but holy crap.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Looks like 20% if the Wiki is correct. Only against organic targets though.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Don't hate too hard on Supports. They have excellent aim and smoke grenades. Those two facts alone can get you through a large part of the middle game.

I just tried impossible... 2 squad wipes out of three missions attempted. I can't vocalize what is different, but holy gently caress. I can feel the difference and I'm working to adapt to it.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Oh for fucksakes! I've been training them up to full psyrank because I thought I had to to that.

I'm not laughing at you, but I am going to use you as an example. Sorry.

A lot of people get all loving pissed off at the game because they don't follow the story or the mechanics closely enough to understand what is happening. The game tries really loving hard to hold your hand, so I'm not sure what else it can do to make things easier or more obvious.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

I wish multiplayer had more people playing. I just tried it out a few days ago and it is fun and intense.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

seravid posted:

September (pretty sure that's right) and I'm rocking all kinds of plasma. Alloy cannons are researched, but I haven't bought any of those yet.

By the way, what am I supposed to do with Heavies? They can't hit anything, even with plasma rifles. At this point, he just comes along in case I need the rocket launcher, which is pretty rare. Also, why can't you upgrade that thing with a plasma cannon or a thunder hammer?

I've always had more luck with the heavy by losing the grenades and giving him a scope. A lot of people will tell you that is a really stupid idea, but having the heavy be able to reliably hit something and deliver massive damage has always been more important in my games than having extra grenades.

amanasleep posted:

The early game is the only game that matters. Basically the late game of XCOM is a victory lap at any difficulty level, so if your biggest problem playing XCOM right now is that Heavies seem useless then you have mastered your current difficulty level and I would suggest increasing it to add more challenge. At higher difficulties, Heavies are more essential.

What difficulty do you play at currently?

He said he was playing on Classic. I'm not sure the answer is for him to jump up to Impossible. :)

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

I'm going to plug multiplayer again. It is bugged in many ways, but it is also fun.
Beware, the majority of people playing are crazy good; you are better off finding someone on your friends list to play with at first. I completely suck, but I've managed to find a few people to play with that keep it interesting for me.

If anyone is interested in trying it out, hit me up. http://steamcommunity.com/id/Pohlio/
I'm average, maybe. If you are really good, I won't present a challenge. If you are brand new, I can help you understand the interface and you may even be able to beat me. I don't completely suck, but I'm not familiar with the maps and I have a really difficult time picking a good team.

Edit: I prefer to play muliplayer Enemy Unknown, because the mechanics in Enemy Within just really make the game a poo poo show in multiplayer.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 7, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Feeble posted:

Quick question, how big of a step up is going from normal difficulty to classic?

It is hard, but worth it. You will die, a lot. After awhile though, you will get it and you will be glad that you did.

-use full cover exclusively (this isn't always possible)
-hunker down instead of using overwatch when you know you are going to be shot at
-smoke grenades will save your life
-If everything looks terrible, retreat into safe cover
-use grenades and explosives liberally

-Don't take bullshit shots, and don't expect the aliens to miss... ever

-The geoscape is much more of a bitch. Research times take longer, if I'm remembering correctly. Everything is harder.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Feeble posted:

Ah, good that's exactly what I was hoping for. I breezed through normal so I was looking for a bit more of a challenge.

The AI cheats in your favor on normal. It doesn't hold back on Classic. It isn't just harder, it is in many ways a different game.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

I'm off to my best ironman classic start ever. Well, I'm having some geoscape and financial problems, but that is ok; my squad is holding up well. I'm about to tackle Portent, however, and even though I have a fairly good idea how the map plays out and where to position my soldiers, the map never goes well.
I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that I don't get my actually reliable squad killed!

Edit: 1 minor injury. Everyone is home safe and I have a bunch of thin man corpses. Oh yeah.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 8, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

The more I play this game the more fun I have. I keep telling myself I'm going to play other games but...

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Pagan posted:

I got EU when it first came out and was pretty disappointed with it, especially since I was an avid player of the original X-Com. But EW seems to add enough to the game that it's fun but challenging, as opposed to just infuriating like EU was. I did play with some of the Second Wave options, and I'm on the fence about one in particular : The variable damage one. I like that it means you don't know exactly what's going to happen, but it seems like it really, really nerfs the more powerful weapons. I've had alloy cannons do no more than 3 damage all mission, but a light plasma rifle crits for over 10. I think in my next play through I'll turn that off.

Can't you change some of the second wave options at any time? You might be able to turn off variable damage without starting a new game. I could be completely wrong, but you might give it a shot.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Goddammit, my Classic Ironman game is going pretty well on the battlefield; but my Geoscape is a nightmare and I'm going to lose the game because of it. :eng99:
I got behind in my satellite push and it cost me, I'm broke and countries are fleeing like crazy. Screw it, I'm just going to restart right now. The current game is completely hopeless. Argh.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Kiggles posted:

Don't give up. The most difficult part is Month 2, when you're struggling to balance Satellites with increasing enemy difficulty, and where you are now. It's OK to lose 7 countries, but it isn't over until its over. If you had a good start that your battlefield is strong, the Geoscape is where it is supposed to be, and it should be pushing you to finish the story objectives.

It was month 3 and I already lost 6 counties. Totally hosed; would be the correct terminology I think. I had just gotten my first mec, increased my squad size, and deep pockets, too. Oh well, I already deleted that game and ended up squad wiping the meld tutorial. Haha. Jesus.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

SeaTard posted:

The best thing about that is your mecs get extra damage on their grenades once you finish the foundry project.

Never mind, Mecs don't get a load out and I know this.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 9, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Koth posted:

Do you guys make soldiers based on yourself? I've only gotten a couple of soldiers from Canada, so I always make one of them me... they always die within the first two missions. :(

I made one based on my wife as well, but she got eaten by an alien bug and then turned into a zombie and I had to kill my zombie wife.

I've never done this, nor have I considered it. I would call you weird, but I will probably start doing it now and I hate you.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

wolfman101 posted:

If anyone is interested, I decided to make a video showing some of the more advanced tactical game strategies and tactics that I feel don't get covered or aren't used in other videos of impossible difficulty that I have seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkfCrkphTF8

It is completely unedited so don't expect beagle rush. :P

I didn't find the static that bad.
I also enjoyed your video, and I picked up a few pointers, so I appreciate you taking the time and making the effort.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

My June base assault had 4 disks, 2 muttons, 2 mutton berserkers and 3 Chryssalids and a floater.
Then I had 2 sectiod commanders, 2 chryssalids and 3 sectoids drop behind me.

I had one plasma sniper, my mech, a plasma support, and a laser assault. Once I kept the Chyssalids and the muttons from killing me, the disks loving destroyed me. It wasn't pretty.

This was on a CI run, and I was kicking butt before that. gently caress.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 11, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: As for an actual gameplay question, does interrupting research to switch over to something else carry any penalty?

Nope, Feel free to jump about with research.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Why do I keep getting my rear end handed to me in my base defense missions? Late, early... good tech, bad tech, it doesn't seem to matter. I can't deal with the number of enemies rolling through the doors.

An example of a mission:

Pohl posted:

My June base assault had 4 disks, 2 muttons, 2 mutton berserkers and 3 Chryssalids and a floater.
Then I had 2 sectiod commanders, 2 chryssalids and 3 sectoids drop behind me.

I had one plasma sniper, my mech, a plasma support, and a laser assault. Once I kept the Chyssalids and the muttons from killing me, the disks loving destroyed me. It wasn't pretty.

This was on a CI run, and I was kicking butt before that. gently caress.

I may have exaggerated something in there, I'm not sure. :)
All I know is that I was comfortable going in and I was completely mowed down.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 11, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

So, I'm playing my first long war game and doing the "friends in low places" mission.
I knew it would be different, but not that different. Holy poo poo, I'm on my 3rd restart. I think I have it this time, but loving hell, rushing packs of thin men, really?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Tollymain posted:

newfoundland is similarly fun

I got it. That felt good, even if I did have to do it 3 times.
Laser weapons are going to be rolling off the assembly line in a few days so hopefully nothing else goes south.
Heh, what am I talking about, the air war is going to kick my rear end.

Edit: Yeah, large UFO. Can I even take that on with normal fighters? I'm going to the store, so maybe someone will answer before I get back.

Edit: No, no I can't take out a large UFO with normal fighters.
And holy poo poo, Chang is an assault, which is a class I'm really lacking in. Thanks xcom!

Pohl fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 12, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Totally got my rear end kicked but backed out in time. Thanks. ^^^^

What exactly does it mean when I'm trying to buy a larger squad in the 'Officer Training School'?
I need a certain level [on a soldier], but what does that pertain to? I can't see how that relates to anything I'm doing. It is really confusing. What level are they talking about?

Edit: First mission with laser weapons. Here we go!!!!
Laser rifles are awesome. 'nough said.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 12, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Catts posted:

You get two squad size upgrades through OTS which upgrade your normal mission loadout to 7 and 8 soldiers respectively. The rank number requirement you're seeing means total numbers of promotions across all soldiers, e.g. if you have all rookies and 5 LCPLs you'll have 10 total ranks.

drat. I've got a lot of people ranking up since I've been spreading it around, but now I feel like I need to do math.
Now that I have lasers however, this should be easy.
Thanks.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

null_pointer posted:

Has Beagle totally burned out on everything but his Tu/Th Night XCOM streams? I'm hankering for the next batch of Live & Impossible, but it's been a week and oh please, Beagle, don't give up hope :smith:

I read somewhere that he was going to be delayed or away and wouldn't be able to post videos for awhile. He did say on Thursday that he would have videos up the next day, but yeah... nothing yet.
I doubt he is going to quit, I assume that he makes his living doing this, right?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

What a great map. This was before I even took a turn.

Of course, I finished the mission just fine and my game froze up on the plane ride home. That seems to keep happening. I guess I will go replay it.
Juliette is a freaking monster. You go girl!

Pohl fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 13, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Ok, my first time and early game; I just drew 4 heavy floaters, 4 chyrsallids, and 4 Thin men. I didn't even draw them, they just all rushed me once my turn ended. I can't remember how many flashbangs I have, pray to god it is enough.
loving hell this sucks.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Not a Step posted:

Heavy floaters in the early game? How early are we talking? Also if you attack the command pod (the one with outsiders, sectoid commanders or ethereals) they can call for back up and bring the entire map's worth down on your head. Regular pods shouldn't be able to do that, although sometimes half the map will patrol into you on the second turn anyways. Bring more scanners and use them to scout around the LZ on the first turn and set up a secure firebase in case you get rushed. Also grenade the gently caress out of everything that moves if you start getting swarmed. Never stop blowing poo poo up. Thin men are very reluctant about crossing open terrain at least.

I mean my first time playing Long War, sorry if I was vague. This is a terror mission and I think every loving alien pod has decided to activate on me as soon as I land. I'm going to have to redo this a few times because holy poo poo.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

After playing Long War a bit, I started to feel comfortable with the mechanics and decided to start a new game.
Of course, I get the loving St. John's mission 5 days before my laser weapons are scheduled to be delivered. I had 5 loving Chrysalids in the landing zone with me before I even got to take a turn. :cry:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

amanasleep posted:

The mission is scripted, so ordinarily there should be no pods with LOS on the landing. I know if you sprint to the left you can usually get a pod activation on your first move though.

Thinking about it, I did take a turn, so ignore what I wrote. I opened the door to the shed thing right in front of me and got bum rushed by zombies and lids. They pushed me back to the very end of the landing zone. I restarted and took a crew with 4 shotguns and 3 engies and a boatload of AP grenades. Every time the lids stop right next to one of my guys my balls crawl up inside my belly.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Bholder posted:

loving STOP!

You sound like you are mad, friend. Maybe it is you that needs to take a break?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

animatorZed posted:

:words: Amazing stuff.

Post more, this was great.

I just cleared a Large UFO, then on my next turn I had a small UFO, and the next turn... a Large UFO landed. It is only loving late May. This is great because I get a ton of resources, but give me a minute to breathe. :suicide:
loving 4 outsiders on that last large UFO. gently caress you aliens. Yeah, they had a thin man with them too. gently caress you.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 17, 2015

• Locked thread