Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
What mods would people strongly recommend for 1.6? Looking for minor convenience, graphical, and QoL improvements like Zoom Level, Automate, Farm Helper, visible fish in water, etc. that doesn't mess with progression or add/remove/tweak huge swaths of the game ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Doc Fission posted:

I think I saw a big possum on my way back home :3:

I saw that too in the forest!!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gamerofthegame posted:

SVE aside and I appreciate it's a new patch and all, but what even are the hot neat mods these days?

I might do another play through but just starting it up I remembered how slow and ponderous the game is. Which is fine in and of itself, but for re-dos...

I'll post the list I ended up with later when I'm back from work, I found a good mix of QoL and graphical mods that smooth the rough edges without changing the core gameplay loops or balance. My wife and I are having a blast with 1.6 so far :shobon:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Here's my list so far, if anyone has any recommendations that fall in line with this style of mod pack please do share!

quote:

Add Berry Seasons to Calendar - Name says it all, it's nice to be able to see what times of the month to go forsging

Automate - A new one for me, This is Freaking Awesome. Machines/processing equipment/furnace/etc. will pull the needed resources from an adjacent chest, and puts the final product back in before starting the next. What a godsend

Better Ranching - adds icons above animals heads if they need to be pet or their resource harvested, very nice mod!

Content Patcher - needed for any swaps of in game artwork, only needed if a mod is dependent on it

Convenient Inventory - adds a button to your inventory to automatically deposit and sort our items to nearby chests, *very* handy

DCBurger's High Res Portrait Mod(seems to be broken? :smith: ) I like the style but it doesn't seem to be working eo can be loaded via portraiture mod but lacks winter outfits

Dynamic Reflections - very pretty, adds reflection of the farmer in water, adds puddles during rain and the days after that also reflect water, and reflects the starry sky on clear days late at night. A bit wonky in split screen co-op though

Farmer Helper - adds a warning before sleep if you've still got plants to water/pick, or animals to pet/feed/milk.. also seems broken :negative: definitely broken

Generic Mod Config Menu - let's you adjust compatible mod settings without digging into config files with text editors out of game.

Hueless Haven - Desaturated Map Recolour - just chose it until EarthyRecolour is updated, it massively tones down the yellow hue in everything, in particular the dirt. Way easier on the eyes

Lookup Anything - press F1 in game while looking at something/holding it/etc, will give you all the details on it in a little pop up window. Beats alt tabbing out of the game to look stuff up

NPC Map Locations - makes the villager icons in the map actually accurately track the character, makes it much easier to track them down

Visible Fish - I used to use Teh's Fishing Overhaul to add a UI element that told you the types of fish and their catch percentage that are in the area you're currently in, but it's not been updated so I switched to Visible Fish, you can see the different available types of fish in the water when you walk by.

Zebrafinches - adds another cute animal for your coop. My wife demanded it when we were scrolling the lists of mods on Nexusmods

Zoom Level - adds hotkeys to controllers to zoom in the play area and the UI elements, and expands the minimum and maximum zoom level. Very helpful for split screen co-op and play at high resolutions

One I don't use but you might want: CJB Cheat menu, let's you adjust your walking speed, amongst a couple dozen other cheats and if that's appealing to you then go for it!

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 30, 2024

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh SVE is updated for 1.6? I hadn't thought to check yet.

We've been slowly adding in mods as we go along, starting with Automate, Look Up anything, and comfort mods such as that. What's everyone's favorite mod to make fishing not suck? The visible fish one looked good. Anything that makes it less miserable would be great.

My favourite was Teh's Fishing Overhaul, I haven't tried it to see if it still works in 1.6. Adds a multiplier for fish quality and treasure chance as you get consecutive perfect catches, you can adjust the difficulty and treasure catch chances, adds a list with % chance of all fish available in your current zone to the top left of the UI when you're holding the fishing rod, and a couple other QoL things like that. I tuned it to close to vanilla, just kept the multiplier rewarding successful perfect catches.

E: it's not been updated in two years though, so I doubt we'll see it reworked for 1.6

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 24, 2024

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

I forgot about the flower dance and lost a day's growth because Clint had my watering can. I was fretting mildly and then realised lol, a day doesn't matter, who cares. I don't judge folk who like to minmax but it'd ruin this game for me, I think.

Thanks to the people who told about the St Patricks Day thing on Spring 17! Wouldn't have found that.

I try to half rear end minmax spring 1 so I can plant a shitload of blueberries on Summer 1 and not worry much about money for the rest of my playthrough.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

How do I get Lookup Anything to use the context sensitive mode without a mouse cursor? I’m playing on a Steam Deck and bound a button to F1 but it just pops up a cursor on screen

On my gamepad, the right stick controls the cursor, use that to highlight things?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I've never had a problem with the fishing minigame, or fishing mechanics at large, but now that I looked at some of the additional features of Teh's Fishing Overhaul, I'm bummed it's not updated for 1.6
Skip Fishing Minigame mod also seems to not be updated for 1.6 yet

welp

Apparently if you look in the comments on the mod, somebody posted a fix for 1.6 there, install at your own risk of course but I'm gonna try it, personally

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cash crab posted:

guys i don’t understand how to run smapi. i launched it through steam under a custom launch thing but i don’t understand how to make it. go.

I just use the Stardrop mod manager, it works great, it ties into Nexusmods so you can install mods with like 2 clicks, it checks for mod updates and SMAPI updates, it's great.

10/10 would recommend

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

I never played this co-op before, if we're modding do we both just need the same mods or are some only for the host?

I don't know the technically correct answer, but when my wife and I played using the internet, I just installed the exact same mods (and mod versions) on both host and client and it just worked, so :shrug:

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 26, 2024

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gully Foyle posted:

Anyone got some nice greenhouse layouts that aren't just pure value-based (aka not just ancient fruits?). I would like to use my greenhouse for at least a bit of variety. I was planning on one iridium sprinkler patch of Ancient Fruit so that there is some good money, but devoting the rest to a variety, including some trellises to have year-round Grapes.

Do four quadrants with rows of repeat harvest crops and high value single harvest crops from each season, and reserve the 4th quadrant for your Ancient fruit?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

Are there any portrait mods that folks like? And how hard are the Ellie's Cuter Animal mods to use because those animals look really cute.

We like the DCBurger portrait mod, it seems to be working in 1.6.

We also just installed all of the Elle's cute mods last night and it's been great!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

Any mods people like for co-op games?

Dunno if it's just downtime between play sessions that's getting my brain going "I should seek out more mods" but I just got a few basics to start - Automate, Look Up Anything and UI Info Suite and don't know if I -need- more, but tempted to seek out more QoL stuff.

A friend wanted a fishing overhaul (Teh's) but it seems not to be updated for 1.6 yet. Most other fishing mods mostly "make it easier" which my friend is less interested in. (Though there are some things I'm tempted to grab them for cause I remember some of the completionism thingys with fishing getting a bit annoying)

Sort of tempted to get something for time management, but it feels like such a fickle thing for "balance." Though, there's definitely some jank with co-op like time running during cutscenes so half the day was gone by the time I finished visiting the wizard, and, some way to force a pause if someone needs to step away might be nice.

Here's my wife and I's list fwiw. Apparently there's a fan made fix for 1.6 for the Teh's mod in it's Nexusmods comments, might be worth checking out?

Mederlock posted:

Here's my list so far, if anyone has any recommendations that fall in line with this style of mod pack please do share!
[click post link for the list]

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

flesh dance posted:

I wish you could move the cave location. Today I suddenly remembered I got it unlocked prob over an in-game week ago and deadass forgot because of where it's located on the meadow farm, down in an area I haven't even touched in summer year 1 yet :mad:

You mean you haven't gone around and cut down every piece of green grass on your property? Smh

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ILL Machina posted:

Don't mean to be a monster but in case anyone didn't know, filling the water bowl doesn't do anything mechanically. My cat has gone without water for a full year now.

One of the points for the Year 3 assessment from Grandpa's ghost is if you maxed out friendship with your pet, and the two things that increase it are filling the water bowl and petting them every day

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Stardrop ftw

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Is there a mod that lets me steal Pierre's wife?

Robin Best Girl, And her husband is even worse than Caroline's

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

I actually think it's Caroline (and her mother is the witch).

I think this interpretation tracks the most for me

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

I kinda go back and forth on the whole Wizard's secret love child thing, on the one hand there are a LOT of hints that it's Abigail (her latent magic and seemingly now permanent purple hair, Caroline's old visits to the Wizard tower she had to stop because of Pierre's jealousy, the Wizard's speculation about having a child in the village and heavily implying he and the Witch are separated because he had an affair) but OTOH I just kinda like the idea that it's Caroline better.

I do wish there was a mod that would add events around Abigail actually becoming his apprentice though, there's a ton of setup about her magical talent and his desire to train someone, but it all just gets left hanging. Hell I wish in general there was more progress for the characters who you don't end up marrying besides them all ending up perpetually stuck in their respective ruts. I'm way too far into my 1.6 save that's already kinda running out of steam to throw in the rival hearts mod, but it's definitely going in next time.

The thing I like about it being Caroline is that Abigail's magic and wacky hair can both be explained by the witch and wizard being her grandparents, it also explains why Caroline's hair is such a weird green hue as well, the only thing that doesn't track is Pierre being jealous about it

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

I am complaining in here in the hopes that complaining about it on the Internet will cause this stupid thing to finally show up.

I have been trying for days to get a Red Snapper. I need it for a bundle! I have caught every other dang fish available in summer including not one but TWO Octopus! :argh: I just need one for the bundle. Game, please. Stop giving me Red Mullets. I have developed a hatred of Red Mullets, cuz they look just like Red Snapper, but bigger.

Please game please.

Just to be sure, you're trying to catch them on rainy days at the ocean, right? It's also available in Fall in those same parameters. And honestly, there's nothing wrong with redoing a rainy day until you catch one, imo

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah my wife and I have all of their mods too and they're phenomenal :v:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Howard Beale posted:

I threw some random better-than-average poo poo together and won first place Year One. Suck it Pierre, your reign of terror is OVER

Good job! My wife and I actually just got through the fair on our 1.6 save and scored 106!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Tea plants are actually more profitable now overall, the recent change made the sell price decrease, but they also made it so you recover the tea plant sapling when you chop it down, so you get the benefit of selling the tea leaves during the growing season, and then you get the sapling at end of season and can sell it, netting more money overall but with more effort required.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zesty posted:

We're in year 2 and no ancient seed yet, which is going to hold up the community center. We could also do a sweet gem berry, but that'd have to wait until fall.

You can grow the sweet gem berry in your greenhouse

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zesty posted:

Guess what that bundle unlocks.

I've never played with the remixed bundles and didn't realize that :cripes:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cambria Bold posted:

Approaching the end of Y1. Winter means having time to actually think about my farm's layout instead of just building things. I might use the dead space where those powdermelons are for fruit trees, that might be cool. Didn't realize 1.6 made it so grass didn't die in the winter!

Also, I got lucky and found a red cabbage from the merchant even though I forgot to toggle Y1 completable, but the fruit bat cave is almost certainly gonna screw me over on the fodder bundle anyway. Oh well, a speedrunner I am not.

Plant some apple trees in the greenhouse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Y'all need Lookup Anything

Lookup anything makes it very easy to give someone a gift they like or love, it highlights in black stuff you've gotten before, and highlights in blue what's currently in your inventory. Super easy to pull it up when you go by someone and see if something in your horde of inventory space will brighten their day