Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Jet Jaguar posted:

Your spouse getting up and watering the crops loses a bit of impact when you have all the sprinklers you'll ever need.

They fix fences, too, I think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Honestly, Starbound is about as casual, esp on casual mode. I would go so far as to say the farming/cooking system is the only fleshed out portion of the game, even if it doesn't serve a whole lot of purpose. Combat isn't much more complicated unless you want it to be. You can set up a little colony and poo poo. You miss out on the character interactions and deterministic narrative, but I'd recommend it over terraria as an analog to this, despite terraria arguably being a better game. The workshop is fun to shop through too.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

MrSlam posted:

Confession time. I've never been evaluated by Grandpa. I end my playthroughs usually just before the 2 years are up simply because I run out of things to do other than make money which I have too much of.

Same, but spring 2. I find myself waiting for red cabbage or the sweet release of death, start playing a new game, and then start over.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I was waiting for Jas's birthday and found myself going to a wiki for her likes and thought it would've be really cool if Marie or Shane reminded me it was coming up and what she was into these days when I passed them or by mail if we were in a new but decent relationship. Just some hint beyond trial and error for the gifting.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Platystemon posted:

IIRC pine/oak/maple trees can share “empty” spaces, but fruit trees cannot.

Yah, you'll need a bit more space. See: https://imgur.com/ZnKAkNE

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

darthbob88 posted:

Well, preserves jars produce ~2x base value in ~2 days, while kegs produce 2.25-3x base value in 7 days, or 6x base value in 63 days if you then throw that wine in a cask. Preserves jars are much better for gold/day, and the reason I'm going in for them so heavily.

The real math is that preserve jars give 2x + 50g in 2 days. Fruit takes about 7 days for 3.5x and veggies about 4d for 2.25x. Jar gives you +1x value multiplier per day plus the 50g whereas the keg gets you +.5%/day for longer, so the jar is always best value per day and because of the flat +50g, usually better per item.

The list of items that give better value-per-item in the keg is short and listed on the wiki's keg page. Looks like it includes fruit with value >70g, pumpkins, red cabbage, hops and wheat. Ale and beer brew quickly and sell well compared to their jarred counterparts.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 18, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Rutibex posted:

A unit of crop will always produce more money if placed into a Keg than if placed in a Preserve Barrel.

This statement is false for cheap crops because of the flat 50g from preserve jars. Please read posts please.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Rutibex posted:

A person that takes the time to do math would never plant a cheap crop in the first place.

You're right, that it matters more for early game. Blueberries are the token example of a high yield and high $/day crop that gives you more value per item in the jar.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

showbiz_liz posted:

I think for my next copy-the-save-file-that-has-millions-of-gold-and-do-poo poo-purely-for-aesthetics project, I'm gonna make central Illinois. When I was a kid we drove through it every year, and I have very vivid memories of it.

So it'll be just massive fields of corn and soy (well, the bok choy will have to stand in for the soy), with tree breaks in between the fields, and a shed-house in the middle of the field down by the pond with like three trees and a teensy garden next to it, and a big ruler-straight road through the middle. And I think I'll make the greenhouse a roadside greasy spoon diner, though tbh it would be more realistic-looking if the greenhouse was still a pile of rubble.

This sounds great. Post pix plz, even if you just set it up in the planner.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I don't mean to sound lovely, but I recommend never spending money on swords in this game. They're pricey, you should be able to avoid all damage but a hit or two during swarms, and it's much more important to buy crops and to improve your pick to gold+ to more easily rush elevator unlocks. If you're low, leave and go back to a floor rather than fight a swarm. You get good weapons from the level reward chests (gently caress the crit dagger though), the galaxy sword for free later, and usually the lead rod or forest sword will drop. The lead rod let's you do a mean double strike with knockback and you can switch to a different weapon after. If you see an elite slime, try to kill him for that drop chance. Carry lots of berries or whatever, I find that a silver leek goes a really long way to quicker early floors without costing too much $$. If you find your pick sucking, start farming dust motes for coal, combat xp, and the eventual loot ring.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 23, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Last I heard it was planned to launch with the Switch release sometime late in 2017?

It's been confirmed that the switch will be the first console with MP, it will not have it at launch, and it'll come to PC first.

PC Gamer source

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

isndl posted:

Construct office buildings and hire people to do mind numbingly tedious tasks until you have become the next Joja corporation. Then the cycle begins anew.

This time you have to quash the ambitions of other upstart magic-farmers in the region, and ultimately merge with or bankrupt Joja. It's a tense moral decision because in Grandpa Joja's eyes you see those of your ghost-grandpa's and, while in a dream cutscene, relieved of your all-consuming thirst for profit, you briefly understand the nature of this cycle and can't help but be reminded of the atrocities you've both committed in the name of corporate progress and universal access to non-seasonal produce.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 14, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

gmq posted:

I made the mistake of focusing on the mines and then I had nothing to do during winter, so watch out for that.

You can always use the bottom floors to make money or prep for skull cavern iridium runs. Or farm the dust sprites for the luck ring if you haven't already. Or fish all season.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 14, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

super fart shooter posted:

I just tried playing with my xbox controller for the first time and found out you can cycle between the inventory bars with RB/LB. It's extremely useful, is there a way to do this on keyboard that I've never figured out?

Scroll wheel, or numbers for the start of the bar

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Poque posted:

He means between layers of the backpack, like the second or third rows of inventory

Oh. Well, poo poo.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

Is it possible to beat Emily in the Easter Egg hunt?

git gud

e: yes

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 9, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Ramadu posted:

Anyone know what the update today is for?

version history

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Until you get married you should only have access to bachelor meals like noodles and microwaved potatoes.

Make your cooking skill influence your relationship scenes! Having a lot of unlocked recipes inverts the scene where someone cooks you dinner or something.

Maybe it makes it easier to woo some and harder for others (they just want to eat ramen with you).

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Without enough combat points, Kent accepts only beer and makes lovely comments and refuses to open up.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

With too many combat points, only Linus understands you.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

they do that much because they're dead inside

He's not wrong.

Have this concept of The Perfect First Day and once I discovered it I noticed I could chill out about all the subsequent days a little because at least I'm on a solid min/max foundation.

That being said I get a kick out of the first three seasons and clearing the dungeon asap and never seem to make it far into the second year, despite not having all the cheevos yet. Restarting is satisfying.

Next run I'm going to bite the bullet and plant those strawberries after the festival instead of hoarding them for my greenhouse a few seasons later. I can't help but keep money around for the Cart though, and that feels a bit minmaxxy.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Strawberries are... I dunno, like the 9th best crop to put in your greenhouse

you are bad at this game :spergin:

I'm not denying I'm bad, but I was just gonna put those in there till they got replaced cause I usually have it before spring. But then I find myself trying to hoard those seeds for a full year and regret it. I was thinking I was being more efficient by trying to get their full cycle, but, yeah. It's really about ramping to max blueberries.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sorry, I thought the :spergin: was enough to make it clear I was taking the piss there.

I can get how Stardew can scratch the OCD itch but it is definitely not a competitive game

It's all good. I read you correctly, no offense taken, but I figured my strawberry dynamic deserved explanation.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Simone Poodoin posted:

I wish the skull cave had an elevator like the mine, might be tricky to balance that but I just don't feel like going down there if I'm gonna lose my progress anyway, and making a bunch of stairs feels like cheesy bullshit for me. I end up not feeling like going there and I kind lost interest on year 2

It's not cheesy bullshit, except in the mines maybe. Stairs only get you one level for 100 stone. How else are you gonna get to floor 60+? Can't have an elevator or else you'd just basically be able to go to the grocery store for your 1734874 daily iridium.

The game has a certain scaling that doesn't go on infinitely, at end game there's not much to do that you haven't already done so they have to leave some of these infinite challenges around to give you a sense of difficulty, seems like.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Simone Poodoin posted:

Grinding/buying a bunch of stone just to make stairs to get to where you were is not fun for me, but yeah that's why I said I don't know how to balance it if there were checkpoints.

Not to belabor the point, because I understand and generally agree with you that the game runs out of interesting progression content at some point, but it seems even less immersive to me to be able to go in with enough explosives to level a few mountains just to fish for holes. I only drop stairs when my first bomb or two doesn't work out or when the scary dragon fog shows up. Or if I'm about to get cornered by mummies. And I've never gone grinding for stone, always seem to end up with infinity rocks.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I like where this is going.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I found these maps of unpathed tiles on this worm bin page yesterday:

http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Worm_Bin

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

"Plants are people too."

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Fututor Magnus posted:

i don't see why he's depressed as opposed to just unconfident and insecure. he has a lot of responsibility and little to show for it; the town he manages kinda sucks and he leads a mostly loveless life

But the pants came off! I gotta think he's getting a cut from Pierre and Gus to keep taxes down or something. Maybe he does it all for the mansion.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I like to think we're all hanging out smoking weed in the overgrown garden patch behind the joja.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Why is the joja rep in the store so chipper? He gets a bonus for every small business he shuts down? And the creepy suit-wearing overseers seem like they're probably in a better place than the clerks and cube-people. I feel the worst for the lady running the register at the market.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

What's in that crate behind the Joja mart!?? I must knowwwww

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Can you surround fruit trees with grass after they have fully grown and still have them produce fruit?

Yes, but I encourage you to read the wiki's tree page.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

That's where Morris lives.

Thanks. I giggled. This is in perma-headcanon now. Mystery solved.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Also by devs you mean "dev" unless you mean the CF port+MP team. Game is done.

Pretty sure you can edit saves without a mod to change specialties on the pc.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Domina, too, actually. Even a bit more directly aligned with your colosseum analogy.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

If you want to fully tryhard it, yah, just stair your way down as far as you can. The stone cost is offset by the iridium riches. I find stocking up on a handful of bombs from the dwarf on lucky days gets me to plenty of of profits. I don't usually bring more stone than I find while bombing down to fifty or so, but I tend to use stairs as my fallback when my first bomb or two don't find holes. Make sure to bring a farm totem.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Maybe this?

https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/4/?

Used to be a standalone that just skipped the minigame, but I can't be bothered to Google that hard

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Gifts or sell it to save for your warp pylons and interior decorator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

what you need is a thirst for adventure