Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I know this thread is iffy on Pentatonix, and that their cover of Hallelujah from their Christmas album is "eh", but I respect them immensely for ending said Christmas album with a cover of 'Nsync's Christmas Classic, "Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Katy Perry's new song is out. I'm sure it will grow on me eventually, but on first listen it sounds like a real waste of some great production. The lyrics seem like they don't fit the song, especially the "wasted zombie" line in the chorus. I buy that Sia had a hand in it, but Katy doesn't quite have what it takes to pull this off.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I'm gonna go ahead and be that guy and recommend that everyone listen to A Thousand Suns. It's the album Linkin Park was meant to make, for better and worse. It's a blatant anti-nuke message with enough sincerity to have an audio clip of an MLK speech as well as that Robert Oppenheimer quote everyone knows, but it's also got Waiting for the End which has always sounded to me like the thoughts of a person who just swallowed a bunch of pills in an attempt to kill themselves. Like a less screamy version of a song that would have been on Meteora.

also, in less "my terrible music taste" news, I went back and listened to 24k Magic and this album is really fuckig good. It's a great counterpoint to Starboy because the latter felt like throwing everything out to see what stuck while 24k is an actually composed album like guys like Prince or Michael would have made. It's not as good as Thriller (obvi) but it's similar in that all of the songs are great potential singles.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the truth posted:

Aka the majority of what she has put out since Born To Die (the album).

Ultraviolence is real real good, especially the first half. It's a very mood dependent album, but when I want to listen to it nothing else will do.

edit: it sounds like if a Manson girl made an album and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

^burtle posted:

I basically cut tracks 6-9 and include the B-Sides and it may as well be a masterpiece. Honeymoon was a drag comparatively and I don't expect her to every really come back from it.

I give LDR more credit than that, even if Honeymoon is really sluggish. It just didn't quite have the sharp character focus that Born to Die and Ultraviolence have. BTD is absolutely massive but they all have the same character perspective (Shallow LA Baby) and Ultraviolence dropped the hip-hop influence and went full 1960s Cult Leader's/Beat Poet's Girlfriend, but Honeymoon almost feels like a B-sides album where it's just a bunch of tracks she had sitting around after the first two and didn't want to put in the effort for a new full album.

I really like Love, so hopefully that is the beginning of something new and interesting.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

A game of Pop Music Would You Rather:

Would you rather:

Listen to a new John Mayer song

Listen to a Coldplay/Chainsmokers collab

Tear your ears off of your skull and eat them

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

plz dont pull out posted:

New Lorde single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMK_npDG12Q

Seems alright but I'm not too into it. Hard to pin down why, but I haven't liked any of her stuff as much as her first EP.

It sounds like two or three different songs smushed together IMO. Like, 2 or 3 perfectly fine songs, but frankensteined because that's how pop music is supposed to sound this year. It's very different from her first album, especially Royals and Team, which flow very well both individually and with each other. Green Light is just a little schizoid.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Scylo posted:

That Lorde song played four times in a row in a cafe earlier, I didn't like it much before but listening to it four times in a row made it kind of tolerable?

This is most pop songs really. It's really rare for me to hear something once and fall completely in love. Those songs are v special though, because they tend to be the ones that never get old. (see: Here, the entirety of Emotion)

Speaking of songs that instantly made me go "drat": Here is the inevitable song of the summer by Calvin Harris, featuring Frank Ocean(!) and Migos(!!!)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

if something is "white Nicki Minaj but terrible"

edit: I had to listen to Anaconda to get the awful sound out of my ears.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I'm not entirely sure why, but the title of that Chainsmokers album (Memories... Do Not Open) is the dumbest album title I've heard in a while. Probably since the album that gave this thread it's name.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Chainsmoking Until We Throw Up: Pop Music Thread

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

less laughter posted:

Cut To The Feeling is an instant classic banger but the most insane part is that it was originally just intended for the B-sides of E•MO•TION :psyboom:

she could just keep releasing songs she wrote for Emotion and I'd keep buying them if we keep getting songs like this.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Guys, I have to come out and say something that I'm kind of ashamed of, but still need to say.

I think...

I think Jason Mraz's debut album is actually really good.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

What is it about the "white guy with acoustic guitar" genre that properly sets it apart from, say, singer-songwriters from the 1970s?

Nothing really. I mean, everyone loves Ryan Adams and he's basically the same thing. I think there were just a bunch over a small period so the over saturation meant less quality vs quantity.

Also, a lot of top 40 radio stations don't play popular rap songs anymore, so the only male presence on them is Ed Sheeran and Ed Sheeran-esques. Basically since the turn of the century, women have been way better at pop music.

edit: also while it's not that different from her previous songs, I really love Lana's new song with The Weeknd. I think this album is shaping up to be really good.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 25, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

This sounds like a "hard" rock/dubstep Blake Lewis. I love Blake Lewis, but yikes

edit: this week is nuts as far as releases go. Singles from Fall Out Boy, Katy Perry, Phoenix, OneRepublic, Imagine Dragons, Hailee Steinfeld, Foster the People, and the new Gorillaz album.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 28, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

new Selena Gomez is fire. song of the summer imo (since apparently we're ignoring the true song of the summer that Frankie O and Migos dropped a few months ago)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

onefish posted:

I read this before I heard it:

(from Popjustice)

I was skeptical for the first 30 seconds and completely on board by 0:33.

i still don't understand how that album didn't sell. it's genuinely the best pop album in a long-rear end time, and we are in a golden era of lady-driven pop. and despite that, E MO TION sold less than a loving Meghan Trainor album

edit: i did not know that they did a remaster/mix of all of the Beatles songs on 1 and I am very glad for this information because the greatest song of all time (Hey Jude) sounds loving phenomenal

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 27, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

aBagorn posted:

Funny enough - I wouldn't keep it over any of EMOTION B Sides, but there are a few tracks on the original that it's (imo) clearly better than (Warm Blood is the first one that comes to mind)

you misspelled LA Hallucinations. Also Black Heart and Store.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

lemme get in on this ranking poo poo. This really solidifies how good I feel that the bonus tracks and B-sides were. 7-18 were almost impossible to rank because it really depends on my mood and they're all so perfect. Like, All That is the perfect "slow dance at prom" song and When I Needed You is the perfect "end to an 80s movie" song. And if we're being perfectly honest, Cut to the Feeling would probably slot in right before Boy Problems on this list.

1. Run Away With Me
2. Your Type
3. Fever
4. I Really Like You
5. Never Get To Hold You
6. Higher
7. First Time
8. Body Language
9. Gimmie Love
10. Cry
11. The One
12. When I Needed You
13. All That
14. Love Again
15. Boy Problems
16. I Didn't Just Come Here To Dance
17. Making The Most of the Night
18. Warm Blood
19. Emotion
20. Let's Get Lost
21. Favourite Colour
22. Roses
23. Store
24. Black Heart
25. LA Hallucinations

Also, so there's slightly more content in this post than the correct rankings of Emotion songs, a homework project for people listening to this album: put on Fever a couple times and then imagine it done by one of those pop/punk bands that existed around 2008/9 (think Boys Like Girls, Good Charlotte, Move Along-era All-American Rejects or We The Kings). It fits so perfectly that I kinda wish there were a punk band that did pop music covers because I also secretly thought Kesha songs would sound really good done by a punk band.

edit: I'm very glad we all agree that Run Away With Me is the best song. If your soul doesn't start flying the moment that sax kicks in at the very beginning I don't think you have one

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 31, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Pinterest Mom posted:

I Didn't Just Come Here to Dance is good, once you realise that what she means is, she came here to gently caress.

the best part is how she's kinda unsure if you get it, so after saying "if you know what I mean" she has to ask "do you know what I mean?" like a big dork who has never once flirted in her life.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

screenwritersblues posted:

There's something about this feud that feels old Hollywood to me. It almost on par with Joan Crawford and Bette Davis, but not really there. It's gonna get ugly when Taylor release her new album.

it's nice that after a period where everyone in pop music seemed to, if not like each other, then at least respect each other, we have a good old fashioned diva rivalry going.

I appreciate Katy Perry for being outspoken about politics during the 2016 election where Taylor stayed silent, and Katy has some really great singles, but I think Taylor runs laps around her in the pop music realm. It helps that Katy is seemingly dive-bombing her career into the middle of a concrete desert with this new album and her "new look" (which is shamelessly copying Miley Cyrus circa 3 years ago). It's hilarious that, for a brief moment (after her first single from this album came out) she was talking about making pop music with a meaning and then came out with a pair of songs about how great her pussy tastes and how terrible Taylor Swift/Remy Ma are.

I get the feeling we are going to get a new single from Ms. Swift by the end of the summer and a new album this fall (since she finally broke her every-other-year pattern last year), and I'm very curious which direction it's going to take. I could see it taking the sound from 1989 and making a Fearless-esque album of nothing but Swift originals, but I know there have been rumors of her moving in a more hip-hop oriented direction as well (which dear sweet jesus please do not be true).

I have no idea if we're going to get any really great pop albums this year. Lorde, Lana and Haim are coming out this year, and Selena and Gaga have released summer singles, but none of the truly A-list stars are on the map aside from Katy. Lorde will probably earn a permanent spot on that list if her album is successful, but I feel like right now the A-List is pretty much Katy/Taylor/Gaga/Beyonce/Grande/Adele and any of the bonafide legends (Britney/Madonna/Mariah/Janet/etc), and we got a lot of albums from that lot last year. Then you have the B-list which is either instantly recognizable people who don't quite have the same level of consistent success or lots of critical success but no radio play (Selena/Demi/Lorde/Miley or Lana/Carly/Charli/Robyn) and then the C-list which is filled with people who have had one hit or have a bit of girl-group pedigree (anyone from Fifth Harmony, Iggy Azalea, anyone on a Chainsmokers track, Zara Larsson). And then the entirely separate (because for the most part they all suck) mens list, which we've gotten quite a few albums from this year (Sheeran, Chainsmokers, Train, any member of One Direction) but again, they all suck (because we got new Bruno Mars last year and he's the only man I have any faith in to release quality radio pop unless Justin Timberlake revives his music career again)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

bows1 posted:

You always have bad opinions. Ariana Grande is A-List, unless you meant between A List and A+ list.

Im not talking quality as Im not a fan but popularity.

I'm talking quality too. Ariana drops absolutely loving massive singles about every 6 months. She's like Bruno Mars in that her albums are short, but all of the songs are potential hits, and there are always a few that are absolutely stellar. Into You might have been the best single of last year IMO

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember the Top 40 channel they had on constantly in the gym seemed to have "Focus" on every time I went. I have no strong feelings one way or the other about that song but it's really distracting how in the video there's one bit where Ariana Grande and her backing dancers are all playing trumpets when I'm pretty sure it's saxophones that are playing. It sort of annoyed me at the time.

Remember when there was a brief craze for saxophone solos about five years ago? I don't think it amounted to very much but Kenny G did one in that one Katy Perry song and Clarence Clemons (RIP) showed up in "The Edge of Glory".

Focus is really lame though. Into You and Side to Side are both way better, as are Problem, One Last Time, Break Free, Love Me Harder, Right There, and The Way.

She's already got enough material for a greatest hits album and she's only 3 albums in.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Josh Lyman posted:

I'll take Selena over Ariana any day:

Naturally
Love You Like A Love Song
Hit The Lights
Come & Get It
Slow Down
I Want You to Know
Good For You
Same Old Love
Hands to Myself
It Ain't Me

Ari > Demi > Selena

sorry

edit; also, slightly more substantial, but Deray McKesson interviewed Katy Perry of all people for his podcast, Pod Save The People. I've been listening to the podcast since it started and Deray is an alright interviewer (he's new, he'll improve because he's a great speaker) but this is the most interesting person he's talked to since Ed Snowden.

It is very nice that we have a pop star so openly talking about her political journey (especially having grown up so religiously) and I wish people would do that more (*cough*taylorswift*cough*)

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 14, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the truth posted:

Katy Perry's new album is pretty loving bad. Did she piss off all the good writers and producers? I thought she was supposed to actually be a nice and reliable person, unlike most people in the industry.

Look at the list of writers and producers there; it's all the same people you see on pop albums. Sia, Max Martin, Duke Dumont, Mike Will Made It and Shellback are all on there, it's just the ideas that sucked. Katy is not an ideas person on her own, obviously, but if someone writes a great song for her (see: most of Teenage Dream) she can deliver it.

edit: in news much more relevant to the tastes of this thread: Here's CRJ performing with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Josh Lyman posted:

Britney and Miley's breakdowns took them off the map. Mariah Carey too.

To be fair to Britney and Mariah (who had actual, legitimate breakdowns), Miley wasn't having a breakdown, she was just compensating for the years of being under Disney's thumb by going out and being exactly who she wanted to be. She was never crazy, she just didn't act like a pop star was supposed to act. In all honesty, the worst thing about Miley is that now that she's kinda over that (because she grew up or whatever), it makes all of the gross cultural appropriation stuff she did seem even more hollow and cynical now that she's criticizing hip-hop culture (which she was happy to be a part of when it was making her popular).

Also Melodrama is really good. It's definitely growing on me after a few listens, I especially like The Louvre and Supercut.

edit: I honestly don't know what to make of Katy's latest career turn. She can do whatever she wants with her hair and look, that's all her (I mean, CRJ got a very similar haircut about a year ago and short hair cuts are really in atm so I don't blame her), but I listened to her interview with Deray McKesson, talking about her political awakening and how growing up in a very religious household affected her, and she sounded like she genuinely wants to change and become a more woke person, but it sounds dangerously close to using "woke" as a selling point. Which is definitely one way to go (it's better than pretending politics doesn't exist certainly), but comparing her to someone like Beyonce or Lady Gaga who are naturally very politically active and progressive, she sounds much more like it's a costume she's putting on to change her image.

Here is an article that is much better than I am at explaining what I'm trying to say.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 21, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

It's crazy to think I made that post before I knew that there would be at least two more songs as good as Slide on that Calvin Harris album.

I know "Album of the Summer" isn't a thing but that album totally wins it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

^burtle posted:

New Lana is better than Honeymoon but still not as good as Ultraviolence or Born to Die. The return of "My Old Man" brought a tear to my eye~

I don't even think it's better than Honeymoon. It's alright, but the guest voices are really out of place, and it's so loving sincere it's weird. Like, I admire her putting Coachella - Woodstock In My Mind on the album but it's so different lyrically.

the truth posted:

Looking forward to listening to this at some point, but I think her first album will always be my favorite.

Ultraviolence is my favorite. It sounds like an album made by a Manson girl in 1973. The first one is still really loving good though, and the Paradise edition just adds a bunch more awesome songs.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPRy1B4t5YA

this is one of the most adorable music videos and the song is dope too. I can see this getting a shitton of radio play if people are smart.

edit: here is a complete list of boys in the boys video

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 27, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I finally got to Rainbow and now I feel bad that I didn't listen to it sooner, it's really loving good. Even the worst song is just listenable, and the best stuff (Godzilla is cute and reminded me of Joanna Newsom with a less obnoxious voice, Woman and Hunt You Down own bones, Spaceship is the highlight of the album by far) is really truly great and very obviously who Kesha wants to be and should be.

I want entire albums based on the different directions she goes on this album. An entire album of her singing country songs written by her and her mom, an entire album of her leading a full-on rock band like the badass riot girl she has been since I heard that Iggy Pop song (or similarly, a full-on Poison/Ratt/Motley Crue hair metal album), an entire album of her and Ben Folds writing poppy/Ben Folds-y piano music, an entire album of super twee songs about kaiju, etc.

edit: I've listened to Rainbow a bit more and I really wish Bastards wasn't the opener because I really like albums with a strong opener and Bastards is definitely one of the weaker songs. But it's still really really good overall, and I don't think there's anyone in pop music who swears better than Kesha. the "god drat"s in Finding You and the "Motherfucker"s in Woman are awesome and it's not awkward like it is when some pop singers (coughkatyperrycough) swear in their songs.

Also I went back through a blog to read a bunch of articles about the Kesha/Dr. Luke thing because it has been a while since I kept up with it and now i'm just really angry. gently caress that guy, i hope a wolf bites his dick off.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 19, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

CRJ and Purity Ring are each going to be opening some shows for Katy Perry on her tour for Witness.

Honestly, I'd rather just see CRJ and Purity Ring together.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Superrodan posted:

I mean this is going to be a Kanye diss track right?

I dunno, do you really think Kanye is the person who is occupying Taylor's mind the most right now? I think Katy Perry has put up a tent in the area of T-Swizz's brain where Kanye used to live.

Then again, she still never really responded to Kim lighting her on fire after that whole "Famous" row.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Houston, we have Swift Off.

edit: that album art is still embarrassing (it looks like a parody of an "urban T-Swift album" cover, but I dig the song.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Also the best Katy Perry song is Teenage Dream and it's not even close. It's not super obviously sexualized (see: I Kissed a Girl, Birthday, Peacock) and it's also not really maudlin and serious (Firework, Roar), it's just a really sweet song about capturing that weird feeling of teenage love. I think Last Friday Night is a distant second.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

this video is the equivalent of a note written by someone that you thought was dead and is coming back specifically to enact her revenge

it is wonderful. it's nice that someone in the industry seems to remember how to hold a proper grudge.

edit: i'm sure they're not taking suggestions from weirdo message board people, but the actual video for this song should have Taylor dressed up like a Hitchcock blonde hunting people down like a badass.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 25, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i mean, on the one hand it really shouldn't be a surprise that the woman who spent the first half of her career known as "the one who writes songs about every single ex-boyfriend" can hold a grudge

but drat girl

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I dunno if any of you remember Kitty (neč Kitty Pryde, white rapper girl, was on tour with Danny Brown when a lady got up and just started suckin' his dick on stage), but her first actual album just came out today and it's not really rap, but it is definitely filled with synths and sounds really poppy, and you all should listen to it.

https://twitter.com/kittaveli/status/900944639493939201

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Have any of us considered that maybe Taylor Swift knows exactly what she's doing?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Josh Lyman posted:

Your timecode link doesn't work and I thought you were just talking about the whole video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tmd-ClpJxA&t=216s

Yeah, it was supposed to just be the whole video but the last 40 or so seconds especially. I died at the unified "shut up!" after "I'm excluding myself from this narrative."

edit: that said (and overall I'm still a Taylor Swift fan), apparently a couple days ago she liked a couple posts on Tumblr that seemingly confirmed that she did not, in fact, vote for Donald Trump, which, great job for literally doing the absolute least you could do. I get that she was really trying to avoid the spotlight during that time but girl, when you have such a huge loving platform upon which to speak, and a decision that completely obvious is in front of you (and the nation generally), you can't just clam up. Like, I don't like Katy Perry all that much, but I really respect the work she put in during the election, she was clearly unafraid to speak her mind, drat the consequences to her popularity and album sales. Not speaking out during the election, especially if you want to go back and paint yourself as a supporter, makes you look like a coward.

https://twitter.com/TayMilaNews/status/901938278894587905

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Alright, quick thread poll because I assume everyone in here has at least listened to Rainbow once:

What is the best Kesha Swearing on the album? Like half of the songs feature Kesha swearing, and she's easily the best swear-er in pop music, but tell me which one you like best.

The obvious one is "I'm a mothergently caressin' woman", but I feel like that's really not giving credit to some of the other examples of Kesha swearing on the album. The very sweetly sung "suuuuck myyyy diiiick" in Let 'Em Talk is great, "if you gently caress around" in Hunt You Down rules, but I think my personal favorite is "Ijust wanna dance likea mother fucker" in Boogie Shoes. It's very rhythmic.