Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Infinite Johnny :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Something I just noticed, but you can see Isaac charging up his lightning way back in the first chapter.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

So is this comic secretly a metaphor for puberty or what

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Brannock posted:

While we're looking at old pages of Paranatural, I wonder if Max is fighting off possession here. The eye glows look familiar.

And even further back on this page in the "could actually... be..." panel it looks like there's a very faint design of the magnet snake in Max's face?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Huh, I just noticed that a bunch of purple ghost children show up in the hallway in between the third-last and last panels as it switches to Isaac's perspective. Also there may be more in the panel where Suzy's doing a hair-mustache behind them?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I knew a guy whose last name was Burger.

I knew a different guy whose first name was Angus.

I always thought they should get married.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

he's literally a walking Linkin Park song.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Ditocoaf posted:

But in this particular case, they want the train to recover faster so they can ride it out of Mayview, so that's probably the primary reason they want a matching color.

That might be the surface/nice reason, but what Gramps is really angling after is control over the primary/only known passage in and out of Mayview. No way he'd return it even after it fully recovers.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

red plastic cup posted:

you can also see lisa here making a very ornate coffee or hot cocoa drink and then slurping it down like a hog

The forlorn twins make a first(?) appearance here as well.

Not so forlorn in this case though,

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

The background here would also a ton of different characters in a big indistinct blob, kind of like the first two panels. Would be nice and you could fit some crazy faces/gags in there but I could also see how that would be both distracting from the main focus and time consuming and full of effort to draw.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Zerilan posted:

341 was the first page that took place inside the gymnasium though.

p sure Dolash means that besides that one establishing shot we haven't had a full picture of the gym since then, which is true.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

The real reason Isabelle's grandpa is fine with Ed not training is because he knows he is in good hands re: personal fitness levels

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

oh, the skull on Violet's shirt has hearts for eyes and nose.

that's pretty neat, and would be a cool shirt to wear, I think.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I'd say he should make and sell that but I'm 90% sure that already exists at your local hot topic.

oh yeah, true haha. I don't think I could pull it off. Maybe I should have said a cool shirt for teen girls to wear, or whoever really, if it makes them feel good to do so and doesn't make them look too stupid which I personally would look, wearing that shirt

but that's a mouthful

Prison Warden posted:

⌈WOW! NO!⌋

is this directed at me? is so I'm sorry for making a post you object to, if not I'm sorry for you making a post I don't understand.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Brannock posted:

People are making Jojo jokes and references.

i'm sincerely sorry for not reading jojo

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

I've only watched the first two seasons, but this scene is probably one of my favorites from any media.

It's a good joke.

oh my god that bassline

yeah probably I'll watch(/read?) this at some point.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

It did for a bit. Zack explained that he did gradients because he was rushing a bit to get the comic done and drawing everything in the background each time was taking up a lot of time.

edit- second thought I don't care about stupid twitter "drama" so instead I will reiterate that Muse is pretty cool and probably best spirit so far, except for when it turns out that Suzy is also possessed, by herself

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 8, 2015

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Hey Ned wanna go to the corner store with me I gotta get a new toothbrush for reasons that should be obvious but we can also get candy to really break that toothbrush in, make it earns its keep

To be clear this is a thing Isabel could have said, if she wanted Nerd's company, but she didn't, because she didn't.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 8, 2015

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Ariong posted:

I agree for the gym setting, but I am rather curious as to what Muse's spirit world looks like.

oh, I think Zack did mention that specifically in the deleted tweet conversation, that he's saving it for later

somewhat an odd choice I think but understandable I guess.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

The tragic, ultimate showdown is happening in the top right of panel one.

Also RJ is Johnny's ball dispenser.

And Ollie is... doing pushups?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Fecha posted:

I don't think Mr. Oop clarified what happens when you hit your teammate with a ball??

Thunderdome

edit: or honorable seppuku

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Yeah even though it was like three panels on our end the train was probably going by pretty fast and the Gang was probably too busy freaking out to really get a good look.

They know about Max, and a redhead, and possibly recognized Spender when they saw the car, but weren't even looking for a girl or blond with glasses until now. They also mistook Jeff for Isaac like somewhere between once and twice so it's very possible they don't know the other kids much except for everyone's bullying to lunch money return ratio.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Dolash posted:

I like that Max immediately spills the beans on ghost-fighting, and I can't decide whether that's because he knew she wouldn't believe him or because he just doesn't give too much of a poo poo about keeping the secret.

Probably mostly the second with a bit of the first.

I don't think Max cares much for the club. He likes: Isabelle; ghost and magnet powers; Ed, Isaac? Dislikes: Spender; ghosts; danger; danger from ghosts; secrets; Mayview barrier; danger from barrier; Isaac?

So yeah, currently the club is his best bet for dealing with all the crazy poo poo he has to deal with right now, so he'll stick with them and he likes some of the individuals, but Spender's withheld some kind of crucial information and put him in dangerous situations, and Max might partially blame them for his ghosty-ness in general even though they're really not to blame, so I think Max doesn't really have any loyalty to the club as an institution and won't hesitate to sell them out for personal gain or if something better comes along.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

He's going to bring up again by asking if everyone forgot.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

But what if Jeff wasn't a nerd, is I guess the point they're trying to get at.

uh, I don't see, how that could be physically, uh, possible?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

GodFish posted:

chibisoma.txt

reverse chibisoma if anything

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

readingatwork posted:

There doesn't, but it's something you notice if you go looking for it. Particularly if you compare the latest pages to his earlier chapters:

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-2-page-20

It's not so much a "problem" as it is "something that could be better".

that's hardly a fair comparison page

I mean two pages later:

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-2-page-22

full of no background panels

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm pretty sure she's supernatural since, besides her utterly inhuman anatomy and possibly camouflage powers (none of the kids seem to have noticed what was up with Normal Floating Kid), she's clearly using some sort of telekinesis to control Normal Floating Kid's arms (there's some sort of weird puppeteer strings).

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-50
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-51
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-54

I uh, hmmm, uh, well, you see

how do I put this, hmmm

well, you know the saying, that when you hear hooves, you should think horse, not zebra? well in this instance you might consider, uh, when you're seeing weird puppeteer strings, that they are, um, well, strings, and not, you know, telekinetic powers

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I found where Isaac has been. He couldn't be in the hitball game because he was too busy being a literal anime

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Probably Magic posted:

By page 58 of last chapter, the Paranatural Krew hadn't even gotten on the train yet. And most of this chapter has been action instead of gonzo-long speeches.

I will take this over that any day of the week.

For now! Wait until they confront whatever's in Jeff. That thing's speeches will make Forge's look like footnotes.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Bell_ posted:

School life is the best part of Paranatural, and this arc is amazing. Why are people in such a rush or it to end?

not enough suzy

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

This game of hitball has been going on for almost 6 months.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I want Suzy's insult/wild accusation to be accidentally 100% correct and that Lisa is literally a witch. Like she has basically no knowledge of spectral poo poo she's busy being in an entirely different parallel supernatural anime.

Right, just like how Johnny's not going to have time to join the paranatural club because he and his gang are already simultaneous mysterysolvers and power rangers

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

New Paranatural update!

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-71/

I honestly don't know if Spender is the best or worst teacher. Probably worst.

Not a big deal because I'm sure everyone has the site bookmarked or can just click the 'newest' button but did you mean to link page 71 and not page 88 which is the newest?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

I would be extremely surprised if Spender has ever made it past the first date with anybody

Spender once had a crush on Zarei, but never acted on it. He found out later on that she was interested too, but it's too late and she's moved on.

Now he can't bear to look at her as he feels the same shame as exemplified here.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought that Spender was a medium for Lucifer, and the sunglasses had the dangerous spirit. All the other tools correspond to their color in one way or another.

Re-reading the fight with Forge, generally his light-based attacks (distinct from his yellow spectral-based attacks) come from manipulating his glasses: Exhibit A and exhibit B. I know there was also a page where he generated throwing stars by "shwinging" the glare off them too, but I'm not sure where. It's a good gag.

e; Oh, here it is. Great gag where he grabs the anime.

His shadow powers generally just seem to be a thing he does by physically manipulating them. A and B. Compare that to Isaac generating a storm cloud and lightning bolt.

Also, when the shadow spirit almost gets out, it does so through a big hole in Spender's chest. Oh yeah, and his spirit fusion with Lucifer alters how the glasses look.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 21, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Who What Now posted:

I can agree with that. I think it shows in the story, too. Whole lot of tension is getting built up with absolutely no meaningful payoffs. No one seems to be getting ahead or making progress. Which is also frustrating for us, the readers.

Well, it's the classic problem of 'serial updates in a long form story'.

In comic, we're still pretty much in the introduction. Characters have been introduced and we've covered most of their issues, the starting point for whatever arc they'll have. A few of the antagonists have been briefly introduced, but we don't really know anything about them or their motives. It's also been like, 4 days. Like, think of it as a book. We're in chapter 4. Harry Potter hadn't even been to Diagon Alley yet. In narrative terms, we're just barely out of the intro and are moving into rising action.

Out of comic, it's been a couple hundred pages and almost 5 years. So, yeah.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

now imagine how many films and series have been saved by spirits purposefully wandering into the set

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Countblanc posted:

That alt text is really funny, because I just reread the comic last week and was thinking "drat, Isabel's family is clearly not hurting for funds and she has a flip phone" before remembering that the panel I was looking at was like 4-5 years old.

Do you really think Gramps would give a fancy smart phone?

Hell, even the flip phone is pushing it. He probably expects her to just yell really loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

This explains a lot about Isaac and his demandiness/clinginess/whatever. Not just in a 'teens lol' way, but spectral powers alienate him from his 8th grade peers, and then he's separated from the rest of the activity club for most of the day (and even there he's kind of treated as a joke)

Dude's just, super lonely