Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

edit: nevermind I'm dumb.

Anyways, I bet Johnny's got some wacky superpowers headed his way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the activity club was only the beginning of the weirdness at Mayview Middle School.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think he's actually a medium, and his sunglasses are covering up the sign of his possession.

Also, he either has a black aura or crazy shadow powers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've had it in my head for a while now that one of the reasons Mr. Spender is a terrible teacher could be just that he doesn't trust Isaac since he's a medium.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My bet is that the Cousinhood and B.L. are some of those factions like what "Max" was talking about, and Mr. Spender's in on the whole political intrigue situation.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I would love to see the lightning god's entire standup routine.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's already an avatar with that text.. How about, "a ghost took my face so I had to make a new one" or something to that effect.

Alternatively, "FREAKY SIGHT, YO!"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It seems too chintzy if you can only use tools that are color-coded to your spectral energy. Isabel's book, Ed's brush, and Mr. Spender's glasses don't match their respective colors.

Also I suppose not all the alt texts can hit it out of the park.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Max's dad: worst parent, or best parent?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Looking at the first panel again, who are those people in the convenience store? Is the activity club doing a sleepover, or maybe some investigative "journalism"?

Nick_326 posted:

I'm digging Max's victory expression and his dad's shirt. I love all the little gags in this comic, the unusual shirts designs ("CLOTHING"), little art details (see Jeff's "PAL!?" speech bubble), and all the jokes hiding in the background (those book posters, food names, etc).

The food names are fun, but I like more how they sell canned bees in the convenience store.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nick_326 posted:

I forget if this was posted already. It's a compilation of certain things Zack has said in the comments section.

Oh my god.

SaladinShui posted:

Interesting that the spirit shows up on film. I mean presumably only the spectrals can see it, but still. That means the camera is actually recording it, just in a way that’s invisible to normal people, right?

Zack posted:

Yes. I have an idea for a chapter using this as a plot device. I think the idea is that, to spectrals, the spirits are completely real in such a way that, for example, a spectral would be able to avoid getting a tan on a sunny day by staying under a large, floating spirit. The real world and the supernatural world are sort of like two separate worlds on top of each other, with spectrals getting affected by things in both.

So this is basically going to happen with Suzy I guess, unless all the theorycrafting this thread has done about Dimitri is right and he hides everything.

Although I guess Suzy has never been depicted with a camera, and she wanted Max for that job, so maybe not.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm really digging the lighting on this page. It's just beautiful.

Maybe these spiritual squatters can make themselves useful as a security system. That'd be neat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Stop being so great, Zack Morrison, I don't think I can handle it.

Begemot posted:

C'mon guys, I thought the alt text made it really obvious.

You know, them doit snakes!

What poops from them faces.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I swear, every drat page is gold.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If we're going to do wacky theorycrafting, my money's on the guy with the guitar.

What's REALLY in that case?! :tinfoil:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Max is just embarrassed at being caught acting weird in the middle of the hallway, and Violet has so far proven to be the most disapproving of the wacky world that they live in.

Ed has also revealed his secret.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Between Isabel, Johnny, and Suzy, Max is going to have to toughen up, and fast.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gangs snap their fingers when getting ready for a fight, right? Everybody knows that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Looks like Mr. Garcia's in on something.

Or maybe he's just a bitter adult and is about as angry at Max as he is at Johnny.

Blackheart posted:

Furbies will never be not terrifying.

Have we seen this dude before? I kinda recall seeing him but I forget.

Well, he is Max's science teacher.

Also there was that one time when he was going down a stream.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 28, 2013

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Max just has no idea what's going on ever.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My inner economist is poised ready to pounce the second Zack reveals anything about Starchman stars.

I mean, it seems like one star is a fairly important thing, considering how Mr. Garcia considers it enough to buy Max's silence, but Isabella quickly bet four stars, meaning either she's a high roller or that Mr. Garcia is really cheap. Of course, everyone seemed really surprised when Max got a whole star just for his name, so...:words:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah. Me and a few people have said before his two spirits are probably a Darkness and Light spirit. i mean, just look at this page here, it seems pretty black and white to me.

Black and yellow, more like.

I think it may just be possible that Spender is somehow using a spirit of a color that doesn't match his normal spectral powers, which may be why he's not alright in the head.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Don't worry, PJ, this is probably just foreshadowing how you will eventually save the day, just you wait.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also Max's plan relies entirely on Mr. Spender willfully giving away information.

Great thinking there, Max.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Here's how he decides whether to wear the sunglasses depending on where he's going:

Is he going a place? If so, wear the sunglasses. If not, wear the sunglasses.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wrong Zack though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mr. Spender just read an anime book on how to be a good mentor to children, and it just doesn't work without the emotional detachment or the aura of mystery. Or being in an anime.

But at least he calmed down Isabella a bit.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought it was some kind of dragony creature. Maybe Isabella wasn't always the badass she is today, and she had a bad spiritual encounter early on.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Of course Mr. Starchman could see it. It's paper, not spectral energy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Get some dang eggs.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Max's introduction to ghosts is a metaphor for how he's dealing with his mom's death. Magnet powers are a metaphor for Max withdrawing from people and playing with objects.

Isaac is a metaphor for anime.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Just wait til it gets translated.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Why is that word even in your vocabulary.

Nothing wrong about knowing about that. Plenty of people have pets or breed animals. It's not like it's a thing with humans.

Unless this is one of those wacky Reddit things?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just assumed that they were different dogs.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

This was linked to in the comments:
http://importrawdata.tumblr.com/post/78192590645/i-might-have-successfully-translated-the-pixskulls

It seems way too convoluted and annoying to write, but he did get coherent sentences out of it, so... maybe?

That guy must've done a lot of horrible things to be able to translate that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The curse of great webcomics. :qq:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's why Spender is always pushing his glasses onto his face. If they fall off something really bad will happen. He should really get a strap for those.

Also it's interesting to note that Isabel's grandfather is master of a martial art that apparently doesn't work on tough spirits.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They can either proper destroy the storm god, or they can force it into a punching bag.

Nick_326 posted:

Also, Lucifer's speech bubbles have some letters that are in upper-case and bolded. Is this a reflection of how he talks, or is there some more mystery language shenanigans?

There's also little lens flares in his speech bubbles.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The shadow spirit could be in the sunglasses and the canary dude cold be in Spender's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's time to paper train some dogs, it looks like.