Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm not super familiar with fountain pens, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

I had a Lamy Safari for a bunch of years and could treat it like any other pen and not have it leak.

I just recently got a Pilot Metro and it seems that if I have it in any position except straight up when not in use it leaks into the barrel and a bit into the cap. Is this a known thing with this pen and I need to change my habits with it? Or is there possibly something defective with mine?

It's a fine tip and I'm using the ink cart that came with the pen, if that matters.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
After taking my Metro apart to learn how it works, I think my problem may have been that the ink cart wasn't seated well. It needs more testing, but after spinning it around and accidentally dropping it a bunch I have yet to get leaking in the barrel again.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

So I decided that I hate the squeezy converter that comes with the Metro and went and ordered a CON-50.

To get above JetPens' free shipping threshold I bought some Pilot Iroshizuku Deep Blue. How are Pilot's inks? It looks very pretty online. I've only ever used Noodler's Bulletproof Black so that's what I'm used to. Is there any difference in how it writes?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Thanks for all the Iroshizuku feedback. Glad to see I made a good choice. I'm really looking forward to trying out something other than the Noodler's.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Just wanted to report that I am basically in love with this Iroshizuku. It's so pretty and writes so nicely.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Only thing of note my bottle of Noodler's has on it is a catfish. I've never understood that.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That makes a lot of sense! I didn't know it was a thing or had a name.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Is there a good, affordable loose-leaf non-lined paper people use? I was taking notes for a podcast, but all I had that fit the bill was printer paper, but it's really thirsty and also makes all the writing look bad.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

What exactly are ink syringes for?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've always used Jetpens because of the free shipping and delivery speed, but I guess I should shop around next time I want to buy pen stuff.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

You have to get used to using like the 5 for 10 campus staple-bound notebooks on amazon

I'm glad to hear these are good for fountain pens because I ordered some the other day.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I finally found my Lamy Safari and flushed it out. I learned that there is a huge difference between a Lamy fine nub and a Pilot fine. Holy crap.

I also learned how much smoother the Metro with Iroshizuku feels than the Safari with Noodler's Bulletproof Black.

What an exciting day of learning today has been.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

What's the go-to for learning to write with an italic nib? I got one to try it out, but it's not really noticeable with my normal handwriting, so I want to change that at least a little bit.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I should probably make it more clear that I bought a Lamy 1.1 italic nib and stuck it on my Safari, so I have the pen, I'm more looking for a preferred method.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Speaking of Noodler's, my Black has been really splotchy lately. It's only black where the strokes stop and end and nowhere in the middle. Is there a way to fix this?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Zenostein posted:

Shake it better?

Or shake it period, if you haven't been and it's been sitting for a while.

I didn't know you needed to shake it, so that's likely the problem. I guess i'll clean it out and refill it, after shaking.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Zenostein posted:

After a while the ink sorta settles in the bottle. If it's empty enough, flipping the bottle over and holding it up to a light'll show a bunch of sediment at the bottom. So long as it isn't like, slime or mold, that's fine — just shake it (carefully) to mix it back up (and then be patient as you wait ages for all the little bubbles to go away).

I mean, if it's just suddenly started happening to this pen/ink combo, that's a pretty good place to start troubleshooting, at the least.

Is this just a Noodler's thing? Or should this be done with all inks?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Been staring down this list of Iroshizuku ink colors or a while now and still can't decide which to get. Can't decide whether to go with my usual dark blue or try something a little more fun like purple or pine green. The writing samples with all of them look really good so its hard to eliminate any for not looking good on paper.

Now I'm considering getting a bottle of Heart of Darkness with the free pen. I can fill my Metro with the HoD and put a weird Iro color in the freebie pen.

I have the kon-peki and I adore it. It's a really nice mid-blue. It feathers a bit more than I would like in my campus notebooks, but other than that it's great.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Is that supposed to be a Japanese maple or a marijuana leaf?

It's Japanese maple because the word for that plant is momiji, like that ink color.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

How much do you have to dilute? I have a blue iroshizuku that feathers a bit too much for my liking in campus notebooks. Using a fine pilot nib.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

So I went to Japan a couple weeks ago and I might've gone a bit overboard with buying pens and inks.

Sadly I won't get to try the Sailor Shigure as it's a gift

This one I mixed myself at Inkstand in Asakusabashi. The notebook I made at their sister store, Kakimori.

They're really nice stores and their have their own (rebranded) pens. You can make your own notebooks and inks. It's a really good time!

Here's my custom ink on the banker paper in the custom notebook.

And here are the pens I bought. I know the Kakimori one is a rebranded Sailor pen, but I'm not sure which. It writes pretty nicely though. I also love how the EF Kakuno nib writes, maybe even more than a metro.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Looks like that's the guy. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Yeah the Kakimori is the one with the wide Sailor nib.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

It's also pretty fun to use non-waterfast inks for pseudo-watercolor. You have to be more careful because they'll not bond as well until they're dry, but you can get some neat effects, especially as detailing over actual paints.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

I have a confession to make: I've mostly switched over to mechanical pencils for school since I finally got into a groove that works with quickly and effectively getting stuff down during speedy lectures. I'm still getting a lot of use out of my fine-tipped Metropolitan since it works well in lab data books that have to be all in ink. Right now I'm using Papier Plume Calle Real which looks nice an professional while still being a striking blue. I'm thinking of changing the colour up whenever I move on to another experiment.

Kuru Toga just came in today and I'm digging the rotation mechanism. I do wish it had an actual eraser that than the little nub that's just a lead reservoir cork that wishes it was an eraser. My favorite pencils in the bunch are the ones with big beefy twist erasers like the Steadtler triplus and to a lesser extent the Remedy, since I've grown to find the bigger diameter isn't for me. The Tombow Mono has a twist eraser, but the mechanism for it is kinda loosey goosey and liked to slip the whole thing back in depending on your erasing angle.

Any other mechanical pencils that anyone's had good experiences with? The bigger the eraser the better, I use that thing a lot.

the tombow mono square clicky eraser is one i've liked a lot for drawing with relatively fine weight lead. i also have one of those little scooty eraser dust pickeruppers that it very nice to have.

as for actual pencils, i have the metal barrel kuro toga and it's by far my favorite i've ever used. otherwise i use a charcoal pencil that's shaved down, or like a drafting lead holder because i want big bold strokes.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Chip McFuck posted:

They're called eraser dust cleaners and you can get them from places like Jetpens. Basically it's a little roller brush in a housing so you can just roll it over wherever you need to pick up the eraser shavings. Here's Jetpen's photo of one:

I probably wouldn't use it on anything art-related as it might smear the line if rolling over the pencil artwork itself, but it'll be good for basically anything else.

i use it for drawing (only when drawing with normal mechanical pencil) and it doesn't smudge. i like to go to coffee shops and draw so it's good for being considerate and not getting 40 lbs of eraser shavings all over their table and floor.

it will absolutely smudge any Actual Art Pencils. but but normal ones? fine. especially when you've already inked and are erasing any pencil you don't want in the final.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

can confirm the fude nib is really fun for drawing with

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

sailor nibs are really good for all the non-standard options they have

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

KingColliwog posted:

Oh maybe that's why no one talks about it if it's not something you can find in the biggest US online stores.

Mountain of Ink has a good review of the thing
https://mountainofink.com/blog/robert-oster-tokyo-blue-denim
I mean look at that shading

might have to look into this. i love my konpeki, but it does not love campus notebooks and i don't really have other blues

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i love the iroshizuku inks but i mainly take notes and write on kokuyo campus and they feather like fuuuuck on that stuff :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i've had bad luck with modern flex nibs. i generally prefer fude nibs for kinda vaguely similar line variation nowadays