Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'm eyeing a Pilot Namiki FP Grandee Urushi but I don't know what converter goes with it. Anyone have a clue?

It's similar to this one:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/pilot-namiki-fp-grandee-urushi-455469969

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

e: initial idiocy resolved

My Grandee Urushi arrived! I asked about a converter earlier; does the answer "any Pilot converter but the 70" still apply? It seems to be made in the Hiratsuka plant in August 1987. Here's a photo with an empty cartridge in, the thing what punches the cartridge, and the front end.

Thanks!

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 8, 2020

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dad Hominem posted:

Not sure why you've unscrewed the metal bit from the section - that joint should stay tight to avoid leakage. Otherwise, that's a normal Pilot cartridge and a normal Pilot cartridge piercing thingy, so I'd think that if a converter can physically fit into the barrel then you should be good to go.

On second thought, a CON-50 might be too fat to fit through the metal ring to reach the piercer. It might be safest to try a CON-20 if you have one, those fit in pretty much everything. I don't have this particular model but I have a bunch of 80s Pilots and haven't run into any converter issues.

It came with an empty cartridge stuck in it so fast I had to pop it in the ultrasonic cleaner to be able to safely dislodge it, and I didn't want to submerge the urushi. Unfortunately, I don't have any kind of converter for it and the discontinued CON-20 seems to go for fantasy money. Only thing easily purchaseable is the CON-40, it seems.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dad Hominem posted:

Ah I see. The 40 is supposed to have the same dimensions as the 20, so you should be fine there. I'd offer to sell you a 20 from my hoard but international shipping is all wonky at the moment.

I should probably just get some normal cartridges for now and, if I may, get back to you on that once postal services have unfucked themselves, unless the 40 is a big improvement over the 20 (reviews seem to indicate otherwise?)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Sankis posted:

Has anyone else been inundated by ads for a company called "Ferris Wheel Press" that seems to sell fountain pens and ink? I've never heard of them before but all of a sudden I'm getting those targrted ads for them everywhere.

I just checked and I apparently visited their site, so I must've gotten an ad once.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Looks like there's a new Vanishing Point-like Pilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsHlxYeaXoY

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Arcsech posted:

If it can click out instantly, but takes a second to click back in I think that would be fine for me at least. I’m curious if there’s some advantage to that mechanism or if it’s just a gimmick.

According to early reviews, it fixes the problem where it sprays micro droplets when engaged.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hmm.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

HM!

:woop:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Nine of Eight posted:

How’s the ink feed on yours? I feel like I have to press hard on mine to get a nice flow which doesn’t feel quite right.

It's the fine nib, but it behaves the same as my other fines as far as I can tell. Maybe a little scratchier on the paper.

e:

Sankis posted:

cultpens

Europe

gently caress :homebrew:

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 28, 2020

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I've now barrelled through this entire thread and... I have one of the LS Capless coming. :retrogames:

But also I'd like a cheap vacuum and a dropper pen for fun - are the Moonman M2 and Wung Sung 699 still the items of choice there? And what ink do I use to show them off properly? I'm in Austria, so Noodler's a no-go for the ink; I'm thinking Oxblood.

And maybe a PenBBS Hawaii... :sigh:

Oh, and a question: I was told earlier that I shouldn't have unscrewed the front part of the old Pilot I managed to snag - should I apply some silicone to the thread to be 100% sure, or should I just not ever touch it again? It doesn't seem to leak or do anything untoward.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 29, 2020

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ughhhh my incoming Myu is already in the country but might not be delivered until Monday. :argh:

Also coming next week...

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Oh god, don't even. Two months ago I had my old school-days Safari and a Waterman Hemisphere. Now there's a Moonman M2, a 1976 Pilot Myu, a Capless LS, the Grandee Urushi I talked about upthread, and I have an ancient Vacumatic coming, as well as a boatload of Diamine inks that should arrive today. Thank god the box is now full NO I WON'T REMOVE THE PENCIL TO MAKE MORE SPACE I probably will.

The LS is an absolute dream to write with. Pilot rules.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Heath posted:

How is the twist mechanism?

It's very smooth. The changed clicker means it's actually almost silent coming out, and you can easily trigger the release with your thumb - but it's positioned in a way that you won't accidentally retract the nib.

You can see the release pointing "down" here:

Terrible video:

https://i.imgur.com/YXt2QqS.mp4

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Oh you better believe I've not stopped playing with it (or the pen :pervert:)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Sankis posted:

The worst I had it with pens was a year or two ago when I discovered the Truphae incredible box.

Nooo why would you mention this.

Fortunately it's easy to ignore because shipping times and customs fees would be horrendous. :ohdear:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Surprise T Rex posted:

If this place ends up going under, where will people end up posting/reading about pens? I've only really just started getting interested in this stuff so this thread is my only real point of contact with the FP world. It seems there are a ton of goon Discords springing up, but I'm not sure whether that's an appropriate medium for this sort of thing given how slowly this thread can move.

Bread and Roses seems to be one place and is currently waiving the $10 - just register with no invite code and wait for approval (about 24 hours for me). There's a "knowledge zone" where a pen thread would totally fit.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

inklesspen posted:

This seems like particularly bad timing for a product launch.

I was saying earlier you can choose from Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Terf. Also they're sensationally ugly.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FFT posted:

Thanks, now I've got a nearly all-metal combination mechanical pencil/stylus in the mail

:same: but it's a Kuru Toga and a Pilot MR2 (the Euro Metro).

FFT posted:

Please no one start talking about artisinal pencil leads

Let me tell you about the Pentel C275-HBO AIN STEIN fine lead which has a ceramic beehive structure, making it one of the strongest in the world.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FFT posted:

Joke's on them, I no longer consider lead strength

Also carbon naturally has a beehive structure, how is it different for being ceramic anyway

/e 10% better at not breaking compared to similar? MEH fancy silicate additions for generic mechanical pencils

Also it's called friggin' Einstein.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Thread title + pencil talk =

БiГ̣O MR2 and a Kuru Toga. The lead was a pack-in, don't :guillotine: me just yet

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 13, 2020

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ok, now you can bring it out, these are objectively better in every way than what came with the pencil.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Heath posted:

No, there's a metal cap that is intended to go on over the cartridge. If you have a converter in you probably never used it. It keeps the button from squishing the cart.

It doesn't fit over the CON-40, at least on the Capless LS.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Wait, am I understanding correctly that Sailor converters fit into pilot pens? gently caress, knowing that earlier would have saved me a lot of trouble.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

wait what's supposed to be wrong with the con-40? it works perfectly for me

It works but they're completely impossible to get here. I have to order from Italy or Germany. Sailor MIGHT be easier to get.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dad Hominem posted:

What? No, they don't.

Ok, "good".

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Chip McFuck posted:

There's nothing necessarily wrong with the Con-40, it's just over-engineered which has lead to a less than optimal experience for me. The mesh in the converter that keeps the agitators from falling out creates surface tension that the ink has to overcome before it can enter the converter or feed. For me, this lead to a lot of flow issues especially with pigmented ink. Granted, I haven't used one in a while so they might have addressed that issue, but it made for a lot of unnecessary frustration when I used one.

It's still like that. I just fill it with a syringe, but have not had feed issues, just with filling it completely.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Jiru posted:

poo poo, it is that one of the newer-production Duofolds? Been in love with them for a while, but they are way out of my possibilities. What's wrong with it?

Look more closely at the refle They forgot to turn on th... no, I can't do it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I decided to finally get a refillable loose-leaf B5 notebook cover instead of toting around a Kokyo Campus on a clipboard. Now I have a few nice pockets for something like an 8" ruler for drawing lines. That's a little long so I figured maybe a 6" ruler. Then I wondered if there's something like a combo ruler, shape drawing aid thing I can get that's really handy. My analysis paralysis struck again. Has anybody gone down this hole and found any cool stuff?

Like this?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

It's finally here - Parker Vacumatic (1940).

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Jiru posted:

Hey, nice! It has the original arrow nib, too. The one I have that still has the arrow is a terrific writer, most buttery nib I've seen this side of Montblanc. Is it restored or are you putting in the work?

Fully restored by the seller. It works great and looks really nice.

e: https://afrevapens.com/for-sale/. I have zero complaints.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 7, 2020

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Sausages posted:

I don't really write much apart from shopping lists and crosswords but I was going to buy a metro to see what all the fuss is about. Instead I ended up getting a $2 pen from Daiso, and it seems like a really nice pen, even thought it's a disposable price it takes cartridges. I might have to get a metro just so I have something to compare it to but it feels nicer than using a ballpoint. Unfortunately anything that's even remotely a prestige pen isn't in my budget for the near future.

Doesn't need to be prestige as long as you like how it writes. I've only tried the Euro-Metro but it writes very nicely for that price point.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Speaking of quite nice, the $3 not-Twsbi vacupen I ordered from Aliexpress arrived today...

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Looks like the final production version of the magnetic-filler PenBBS pen, the 487, is now available in no fewer than 24 variants, e.g.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

And here I thought you blamed UNICEF.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Here's my made-to-order aka-tamenuri, two months-ish in the making. Please excuse the amateur-rear end video.

https://i.imgur.com/ljeceJ0.mp4

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Surprise T Rex posted:

Thinking of asking for a high-capacity demonstrator for Xmas, and I've had my eye on TWSBIs for a while - any thoughts on the Eco vs the 580 Mini vs the Vac Mini?

Have you considered the (clear) Moonman M2?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Surprise T Rex posted:

I had not, but after having a quick look I think I want one with a piston/vac fill mechanism rather than an eyedropper.

I got this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000148690882.html

So far (3 months in) it has not ex- or imploded (or leaked).

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

LionArcher posted:

Pen Addict has a statement that after $300-400 range there is no difference, but taste, but to that point there can be. Really depends on the nibs from his point.

More expensive pens may not be about how they write but what they look like, e. g. the Nakaya Dorsal Fin which takes several months of work and curing. Or they're overpriced garbage from "luxury" companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

endlessmonotony posted:

Does anyone know what kind of converter goes well with the *European* Metropolitan?

Mine (assuming you mean the M2) fits a Pelikan but we had to try 2 at the store since only one of them worked for inexplicable reasons.