Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Captain Log posted:

I have a confession...

I've been an avid fan of fountain pens since about 2011 and have a collection of about twelve to fifteen. I'm starting to suspect I'm very bad at the hobby because even though I use my own inks and refill cartridges with blunted syringes, it seems that I still have plenty of "nice" pens that start and stop often. Is there a good series of videos I could watch to see if I'm doing something miraculously wrong?

How often do you give them a good, thorough cleaning and what kind of paper do you use, typically? You might have some gunk in the feed or an errant fiber in the tines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Captain Log posted:

I've never been sure about cleaning them to be honest. I know how but wasn't sure what was overkill.

(I think of cleaning as breaking them down and passing tepid water through the nib until it runs clear - Not sure how to particularly clean errant fibers out of a nib)

Also they typically just write on post it notes or a pad of Smythson on Bond Street paper that sits in my leather planner. It was my grandmothers. Post it notes are my bread and butter though.

Get a brass sheet and the pen cleaning kit from Goulet, then. And watch Brian Goulet's video on pen cleaning.

Post-its are not great paper and like Burrito, I often get issues writing on them depending on where I'm trying to write.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of Smythson paper before, but it sounds like it's probably laid paper and is, therefore, much harder to write on. You should try some Clairefontaine or Rhodia (Clairefontaine actually owns Rhodia now, but the papers are still quite different) since they're both much more FP-friendly. I personally use either Midori's paper or the Staples sugarcane paper (heh... bagasse) for loose-leaf, but it sounds like you might be from not-'Murica, which would make the latter hard to find.

edit: the reason I suggest the cleaning kit is that using the bulb thingy is much faster at pushing water through and the pen flush will get at the ink that's really stubbornly stuck in places. And it's cheap and a bottle will last for-bloody-ever since you only use a couple mL every time you use it.

Magnus Praeda fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 22, 2016

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Xun posted:

One of my pilot parallel 1.5mm pens feathers WAYY more than the other. It could be because they're using different inks, but this didn't use to happen? I'm using a Rhodia notepad so it's not a paper quality thing I think.

I would try a thorough cleaning with the little plastic sheet they come with and then try a different ink (use some Pilot ink if you have it) and see if the problem keeps happening.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It looks like I can find a Levenger Desk Punch for $19 on eBay, and Staples wants $48 for their Arc punch. Granted, I work at Staples, so I'd probably use my discount to get the disks and so forth but there's no loving way I'm dropping $48 on a punch.

I got my Arc punch at, of all places, Goodwill for like $5. It's been pretty awesomely handy. I would say it'd be worth the $19 for the Levenger.

$48 is loving laughable, though. I didn't know that's what they were asking for them.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Captain Log posted:

I went to Smythson on Bond Streets website to look for a replacement pad of paper and...Jesus it's pricey. How can I tell if my planner is A4 or A5 sized? I'll eventually need replacement paper and I don't think I'm going to buy the Smythson stuff unless I win the lottery.

That's a nice planner. Here's the standard A-size paper measurements:
code:
A3	297 × 420 mm	11.7 × 16.5 in
A4	210 × 297 mm	8.3 × 11.7 in
A5	148 × 210 mm	5.8 × 8.3 in
A6	105 × 148 mm	4.1 × 5.8 in
Comparing the pad to the pen, that looks like A5 to me. You might throw a Rhodia pad in there: N°16 Staplebound Pad. They're fantastic paper and come in A5 (The #18 is A4).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Landsknecht posted:

I like mine a lot, but I regularly have to lotion it up since I live in quite a dry climate

It puts the lotion on the pen or else it gets the eyedropper again?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Well I wasn't planning on buying a VP today, but I can't pass up the opportunity at that price.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

GoldenNugget posted:

... recap it with a chopstick.

What? How? :confused:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

grack posted:

The little stopper disc in the throat of Pilot cartridges can just be rotated back in to place.

Huh. The more you know. I've always just washed them out and refilled with a syringe as needed. I don't know that I'd trust that stopper thing to be leakproof after being reset.

In other news and speaking of the stupidly cheap VP :neckbeard::

It writes so smoothly and the clicky action is awesome!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I have a question for you folks that own a VP/Capless/Decimo/whatever: How do you carry it?

Typically I carry the one pen that I plan on using that day in my pocket along with keys, change, etc. To keep it from getting too badly scratched up, I have a leather sleeve that most of my pens fit in nicely (right now it's got a Lamy Al-Star in it). But the VP presents a challenge in that, carried upright, the nib opening is open to any pocket lint or other stuff that might fall into it. But if you flip it over, the whole pen is upside down and it's more prone to leakage, etc.

My work is pretty business casual so I've usually got a polo shirt or something which precludes carrying the pen in a breast pocket (which would otherwise be the obvious choice).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

GoldenNugget posted:

My method is to squeeze the open end of the converter and bang out the stopper. I wash the converter and dry it while taking out any ink residue with a paper towel. I fill ink in with a syringe just above where the lines stop in the converter. I take a chopstick that is about the caliber of the converter and put the stopper on the end of the converter and push the stopper in.

Be careful using the cartridge immediately after you put the stopper in. If you must reload your nib immediately after you seal the cartridge, load the cartridge with the nib pointing up or your nib will spill ink everywhere. The pressure equalizes over a few days.

I hold my cartridges in a plastic ziplock bag with a tissue in it. Seals just fine. You will have to throw out old cartridges as they do crack and collect gunk on them depending on what inks you use.

Also do you have the link to the 70 dollar VPs? My friend who just got a decimo three weeks ago lost hers and is pretty devastated, especially since she's used to carrying fountain pens while on the run at work.

Here's an M nib in blue and a B nib in brown.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I've never had that issue with my TN notebooks, so it sounds like either a defect or something got absorbed into the notebooks in that area. I actually carry a passport-sized TN in my pocket as a wallet/to-do list/scratch paper and a full size one in my backpack for journaling (it's the perfect size for my bullet journal) and neither has had an issue like that.

Goulet has their Tomoe River paper TN-sized notebooks available now in every combination you can imagine--you could order a couple of those, maybe?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Heath posted:

On further inspection it seems to be limited to just this first page of the book.

Second page seems completely fine.

Almost certainly a defect or something got on that page somehow, then. Enjoy the notebook! I love mine.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Edmond Dantes posted:

gently caress, I copied the link from Massdrop and it copied with a referrer in there; sorry all (and especially to whoever just registered using that link), I wasn't trying to be sneaky. :(

I do that all the drat time with Amazon because I always forget to check if it's there or not.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I got a rhodium-accented Falcon for... I think 80 bucks? So I thought they had good stuff, but I'm realising otherwise.

They do, sometimes. I've gotten several things through Massdrop that ended up being great deals. The issue is that you need to cross-shop every deal they post at several different websites and take shipping into consideration.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

bale. posted:

Booo. I received my first ever counterfeit pen (lamy Safari if all things) from eBay. When it came in the mail I was immediately suspicious bc it just felt "off" too light with a weird cartridge. My fears were confirmed when the ink window never cleared the parts of the cartridge holder

My bad picture:

Edit: phone posting and imgur is being weird
https://m.imgur.com/l5SeIj4?r

Good part is the seller was good and immediately refunded my money. I don't want to post their name bc I think it was an honest mistake. Looks like their main products aren't pens and they just relisted a used one

I may be overly optimistic but eh

Sucks that you got a counterfeit but at least the seller refunded you right away. You're right that it's probably an honest mistake on the part of the seller, though. Fakes are getting into the supply chain at all points and even Amazon is having huge issues with that right now (to the point where Birkenstock pulled their products entirely).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

bale. posted:

Lol I like your attitude. Unfortunately it leaks like a motherfucker. Can I salvage the cartridge to reuse or is that the source of the leakage? I've only had pens that needed an ink swap to end any nib creeps or leaks

If it's just a cartridge and not a converter, I wouldn't bother--it's probably counterfeit too and the real thing is cheap. Cartridges are cheap and plentiful. Where is it leaking from? You might be able to re-seat the nib/feed or try it with a real (non-counterfeit) Lamy cartridge and see if the leaking stops.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Eikre posted:

I'm interested in some kind of binder system that is as close to the size and feel of an ordinary bound notebook while still reserving some sort of capacity for re-organization. And I would like it in B5 or A5.

Right now I'm thinking a Japanese binder with a very thin ring diameter, but I feel as though there might be an even more book-like alternative that perhaps sacrifices some of the ease of re-binding to achieve its form factor. Any such thing?

Failing that, a recommendation of brand or product would be just dandy.

Perhaps a Traveler's Notebook? You can at least re-organize the notebooks within the leather cover and sort/file the filled ones into storage binders for archiving.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Yeah, I have 4 inked right now but it's only because I switched from my AlStar to my VP as my EDC pen before I ran out of ink in the Lamy. Otherwise I typically have three inked: one with blue or black as an EDC, one with red for editing, and one with a "non-professional" color for stuff I'm writing for myself (creative writing, bullet journaling, etc.). If I have more than that, they just get gummed up and the ink is wasted along with the time I spend cleaning.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Does anyone know how well the Goulet 52gsm Tomoe River notebooks handle ghosting and bleedthrough, particularly against something around the size of a Pilot M or Lamy F? The notebooks that came with my fauxdori ghost like crazy.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

effika posted:

Speaking for the 52gsm loose sheets: I never get bleed through but do get some ghosting because it is so thin. It's not enough to stop it from being legible. I would write on both sides without much worry. Maybe stick to lighter ink just in case?

The dry time is really long, but the paper produces such nice results I don't care. You might for a notebook- maybe keep a sheet of blotting paper with it.

Both good ideas. I might switch to brown ink (Tsukushi or MB's Toffee Brown or something) and having some blotter paper on hand is probably a good idea anyway.

When you say "really long" though, are we talking 30 seconds or 5 minutes?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

grack posted:

You're talking a near bottom of the range steel nib vs. a solid 18k nib on a pen that sells for 10X as much. To be honest you can't really compare the pens in any meaningful way besides "well, they both write".

Also, welcome to the rabbit hole.

Yeah, I still love my Metros for various things (like having a plumix nib swapped in) but so far this hobby has been one upgrade after another. My daily driver has gone from a Metro to a Safari to an Al-Star and now to my VP. That doesn't even touch on the "why not add a Jinhao for a couple bucks to this order" or "hey, Levenger's having a sale!" type purchases.

Getting started with fountain pens has meant I actually look for reasons to hand write things. My wallet is now a passport-sized TN and I've started a bullet journal in a full-size TN (thus my earlier questions about the Goulet notebooks earlier). Plus I keep a Rhodia A5 notepad for quick one-off notes and so forth. And then there's the ink (my Tsukushi arrived today and it's a gorgeous brown!).

So in addition to a pen collection that's now well into the $hundreds, I'm starting to pile up a small fortune's worth of accoutrements to go along with them.

:shepspends:

Edit: on a related note, what does everyone here do with pen boxes? I'm starting to develop a reasonably large pile of them and I prefer to keep my various pens on display, even if I'm not using them.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Nofeed posted:

The washing machine. Double check your pockets before you do your laundry, folks!

It's also really clean.

Oof. I did that with my TN/wallet a while ago when my wife decided to grab the pair of pants hanging on the back of my chair while getting a load of laundry together. Got to test out the waterproof-ness of the inks I'd used, though!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

grack posted:

Smart thing I did today: Got a new Levenger pen in today and as I often do, I pulled the nib out so I could adjust it. I put the nib down on my desk and... well, it's loving gone. I can't find it anywhere and I've drat near torn my office apart. At this point I'm just going to blame fountain pen gnomes.

Walk around barefoot for a bit. You'll find it quickly enough.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

404notfound posted:

Anybody tried the Bullet Journal system? I know it's meant to be super customizable according to your personal habits, but I can't for the life of me figure out how some of the "default" stuff is supposed to work. What's the difference between an event and a task? And there's no visual indicator of an event vs. a task on the calendar page of the monthly log? If I rapid log a future event, do I write it down for the day as a task, which I migrate later? It looks like scheduling/migrating is only supposed to apply to tasks specifically.

Also, holy gently caress do people put way too much effort into their journals. All this washi paper and calligraphic adornments make me feel like these people spend more time on their journal than on the life they're supposed to record with it.

I use it and it's a neat way to get down small pieces of information quickly but I had to gently caress around and start over a couple times when I was first trying it out. Probably a dumb question, but have you checked out the bullet journal reference guide PDF? I actually printed that out and carried it in my journal for the first couple months just so I could refer back to it.

Tasks are basically to-do items, like doing laundry or taking the cat to the groomer. Events are more like birthdays or a date. I separate my monthly calendar so I have dates on one page and a list of tasks on the facing page. I also distinguish between tasks and events in the calendar and daily log by what kind of bullet I use--tasks start with a simple dot that can be converted into a forward or backward arrow (if they've been migrated) or an "X" (if they've been completed). I don't rapid-log events until the day they happen. Until then, they are just listed in the calendar or future log.

And yeah, there's some folks out there that seem to miss the whole point of "it's supposed to be fast so you don't have to think about it" and go WAY overboard with making their journals pretty, but :shrug: who am I to judge? Mine's about as plain as can be.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Zenostein posted:

Anyone in here ever use Noodler's Whaleman Sepia? It looks cool and all, but everything about it on FPN is from like 5+ years ago, or referring back to 5+ years ago. Specifically I'm concerned about the flow,which seemed to be the bulk of the complaints. I pretty much only use fines, so something that won't flow right is kinda a no-go. Which is a shame, it's a pretty neat looking color, and I am looking for a new brown.

Any other interesting suggestions for browns?

How about Iroshizuku Tsukushi? It's a bit lighter than Whaleman's Sepia according to Goulet's swab tool but I really like it. Or maybe De Atramentis Document Brown? That one seems fairly close if you're looking for that shade of brown.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Is anyone else thinking about doing InCoWriMo this year? A friend just gave me a Lamy Logo as a thank you for serving on his thesis committee and I thought, "what better way to give this new pen the beans than to write 28 letters with it?"

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I'm also down for something like that.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Plinkey posted:

Hmm, amazon tried to delivery my OHTO - Tasche and claimed that they couldn't then mysteriously forwarded it somewhere else (I'm guessing becuase I just moved into a new apartment and they sent it to the last person's forwarding address).

RIP little black pen, maybe it'll find it's way back at some point.

That sucks, but I will say that Amazon is pretty good at fixing stuff like that if you contact support. Tell them you didn't authorize a forward of the package and want them to find your pen. (And, barring that, forward the chat to jeff@amazon.com.)

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

FAUXTON posted:

I signed my mortgage docs with a Carene back in December, used tsuki-yo because it was the closest thing to a legally-appropriate blue.

I used 54th Mass on mine. Nobody complained and they haven't taken the house back in just over a year now, so I think I'm good!

I love signing stuff with nice pens. I was on a friend's thesis committee and he gave me a Lamy Logo as a thank you gift that the committee used to sign his bound theses.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I'd be down with participating in a letter exchange. My handwriting is either terrible and illegible or terrible and in block letter, so you have that to look forward to!

At least my inks are pretty. :kiddo:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Aaaannndd.... now I have a pen arriving sometime between 9/16 (haha, yeah right) and 10/14 (maybe if it doesn't get held up in customs too long).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
On the Zebra G nib in a #6 pen front, Goulet has the Jinhao 159 buy one/get one free today only.

Completely unrelated, of course, I now have two more pens and some Tomoe River paper getting shipped to me...

:homebrew:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Moldy ink can happen regardless of the brand, though. I had a cartridge of Pilot black mold in my VP a couple weeks ago.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Like any luxury good, past a certain point you are paying for at least one of two things: the perceived value of having the item as a status symbol or the time of the craftsman who made it.

I've never used a Nakaya (because I do not have that kind of dosh), but there's a limit to how well any fp can write and most of the groupthink I've seen on that is that you're going to hit that limit around $150-200 and that beyond that you're paying for things other than writing quality like the materials used, limited/exclusive releases, custom work, etc.

If you want a "once-in-a-lifetime pen" and can afford it, though, I'd encourage you to go for the one that really turns your crank. That's kinda the point with "once-in-a-lifetime," right? But be realistic about your expectations--it will write very well, but it's going to be much more about appearance and how it makes you feel.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

teraflame posted:

idk my experience with cheap chinese pens are great bodies, dogshit nib quality. What models do you buy to not be crap?

I was going to post more in-depth about them later but I will say that I just got two Jinhao 159s from Goulet's BOGO sale and a Wing Sung 3008. The 3008 has a Lamy-style (knock off) nib in F and the 159s are both M #6 nibs. I've inked up the 3008 and one of the 159s and both of those have been writing quite well for the past week.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

VelociBacon posted:

I look forward to reading your in-depth bit, looking for something different/not super expensive.

Ask and ye shall receive:
First up the 3008:

Of the three, this is probably my favorite. The piston mechanism is smooth and works really well--after my eyedropper Charlie, this holds the most ink of any pen in my stable. The nib, as I mentioned is a Lamy knock-off and the F is pretty much a Lamy F. It's very smooth and I haven't seen any skipping or hard starts in the week I've had it inked. I've got it inked up with Noodler's Nikita and I love how the red looks in the clear feed. I'm definitely thinking of ordering another couple of these.

Now the 159s:

These are fatty cigars and have some significant heft--they look and feel like much more expensive pens than they are. They're both #6 M nibs and they're definitely a western M. A bit wider than I typically go for in my daily driver but nice if you're signing "important documents" or whatever. I've been using the black one at work inked up with (admittedly boring but work-appropriate) Pelikan Brilliant Black. I've gotten more comments about it than I have with other, more expensive pens I've brought to work with the possible exception of my VP (since that gets a "they make a clicky fountain pen!?" reaction from at least half the people that see it). I actually delayed this post primarily because I was waiting for the ink I bought for the orange one to arrive. Now it's inked with J. Herbin's Orange Indien (because I had to have an orange ink for an orange pen).

And, of course, the writing sample page with my dumb block caps and stupid doodles:

Like any Chinese pen, ymmv as far as nib quality, etc. goes. But all three of these are writing very well and, at least for the last week, have been nice to carry around. The only thing I've noticed is the 3008 gets some slight condensation forming in the cap since it's been in my shirt pocket going in- and out-of-doors with the accompanying fluctuations in temperature and humidity. It doesn't really affect it in any way, though, and I'm sure my other pens get similar condensation but none of them are demonstrators.

Kessel posted:

India still uses them in schools today.

Actually, that was one of the more odd things to me when I came to America for college - people were routinely submitting work to professors done up in pencil on the back of scrap paper. In Singapore, past a certain age in school no teacher would accept work in pencil; it's pens or bust. And you definitely would use a fresh sheet of paper rather than the cover sheet from your printouts and so on.

VelociBacon posted:

To be honest in Canada you'd never see that pencil poo poo after probably grade 8 or so. Did you go to a liberal arts college?

At both of my liberal arts colleges (in the US), I was required to type all papers and bluebook exams had to be taken in blue or black ink. The one class I could use pencil for turned-in assignments was math. Either Kessel went to a school with much more lenient professors or just didn't see when those assignments were returned with "redo and resubmit" across the top.

Even most of my high school teachers required typed work if it wasn't a worksheet or something.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

grack posted:

Caran d'Ache 849 loving blows.

:( But they look so cool. What's wrong with it? Bad nib? lovely weight distribution?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks for this. I might have to pick up one of these soon.

Any cool and good recommendations here for a dark blue/purple/etc ink? I need to use it for charting in healthcare so I can't use anything that wouldn't photocopy/scan well.

Noodler's 54th Mass. is my go-to blue ink. Pretty well behaved in any pen I put it in and it's got some lovely shading. I use it at work pretty regularly because it shows up well even in faxed documents.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

atholbrose posted:

Okay, thread, you got me; I ordered a couple of Wing Sung 3008s. In two and a half months, when I get them, I will have forgotten.

I also couldn't resist any more and ordered a white TWSBI Classic. drat, that's a good-looking pen.

You might get lucky and be surprised. My 3008 arrived in under a month. They just wrapped it in bubble wrap and stuck it in a padded envelope so it went by regular post, it appears.

... Then again, it could also arrive six months late after someone finds it under a conveyor belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

mystes posted:

It must have been nice to be able to write things like that without the rest of your customers hearing about it in 5 minutes.

It must have been nice to receive a personal and honest letter in response to a customer service query rather than a link to an FAQ that's only tangentially related to the question.