Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I used a fountain pen once about 20 years ago. I think it was for some project in art class or something. All I remember, and the reason I haven't used one since, is that it produced a scratchy, almost sandpaper sound and feel when I wrote. It was just the right feel and sound to make my skin crawl. It was similar to that feel when you remove a molded piece of styrofoam out of a cardboard package and it rubs together.

Was I just using it wrong or do these pens just not have a smooth movement/feel?

You probably used a really cheap "calligraphy" pen. I had the same experience, so I was hesitant, myself, until fellow goon Sarern* got me a Safari Vista for Christmas.

I am now one of the faithful. :geno:

*He's also the sonofabitch who got me this red text. **

**He also lurks like a motherfucker, and is probably giggling at this post RIGHT NOW. :shepface:

Synastren fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

JP Money posted:

Am I supposed to be able to suck up ink through my Safari through the tip? I bought the converter and noodlers black but I couldn't manage to get more than a tiny bit of ink up through and into the pen. I just broke down and put the converter in the bottle and filled it full.

It feels so good to get rid of the blue ink.

You need to immerse the entire nib in the ink, if you want to fill it and the converter. It is certainly possible, though, as I've done it myself (not with a Safari, but with another Lamy pen). I still prefer syringe filling, though.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Arcturas posted:

I don't know anything about syringe filling. Do you just use a syringe, punch through the side of your converter/cartridge, and squirt more ink in? Doesn't that cause leaking out the syringe hole?

You just use a syringe to transfer from the bottle to the cartridge/converter using the hole the nib uses.
It's really clean, too! :buddy:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

When is the new 580 (?) due for sale? End of this month, right?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I'm surprised that no one mentioned that the new 580s are up on TWBSI's site!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I really prefer waterproof inks; I have a proclivity for spilling stuff on my notebooks and whatnot (and paranoid about students trying to alter grades when they can), and I know how much not-waterproof inks can run. I spilled some stuff on a page that was in Lamy Blue, and it was all gone.

I found this list from 2006 of waterproof (or resistant, at least) inks. Is this roughly complete? I'd like to know what colors I'd have available if I were to get only waterproof inks.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I was thinking about getting a Stub 1.1, but I wanted to ask how it compares to using a Lamy F (everyone else's M) nib. I'm mostly concerned about thickness, and the feel. Are the lines comparable? Smaller than the Lamy F? Larger?

Asking so I know what I nib I'd like on a 580. :ohdear:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

kirtar posted:

I think F is usually around 0.5 and M is usually around 0.7, but this of course will vary based on nib manufacturer, ink, and paper. It's either that or I'm confusing F and EF.

I'd measure it, but I don't have any implements that would be accurate enough in millimeters. Clearly, asking for qualitative, subjective data is the solution! :v:

If Lamy F is ~.7 mm, that gives me a good ballpark, though.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Brightman posted:

Why is this happening?

Nib Nook! Compare for yourself and see with fancy graph paper and a multitude of nib types.

Selecting the Lamy F and M with the TWSBI 1.1 stub in between it is much wider with the wide stroke, and appears as thin or thinner than the F with the thin stroke.

Because I did not know about this wonderful website. :allears:

Thanks!

Ed: The width of the Lamy M nib looks thinner than the width of the Lamy F nib!

Synastren fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 28, 2013

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

alakath posted:

Is there any good reason to get one of those TWSBI ink pots to go with it, or am I better off just saving the $25 and using my normal Noodler's bottles?

I was going to ask if there were any sort of facilitation for filling with the TWSBI bottles. I was considering picking up a bottle to mix a couple of inks (a bulletproof color + bulletproof black) together, and to keep it at the office... but if there is a real benefit to having one, I'll definitely pick one up.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

shadysight posted:

I also wouldn't use my experience as a reason that mixing is a universally a good idea, because what binder they are using is probably a factor.

I was wondering about mixing some bulletproof Noodler's inks. If I get the chance to do so, I'll report the results here.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

So my TWSBI Vac700 should be showing up in a day or two. Is there any particular way I should flush it before using it?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

cobalt impurity posted:

Generally it's a good idea just to clean out any dust or machine oil that might be in the parts. It certainly wouldn't hurt and just delays inking it up by a minute or so.

I was more curious as to the "how" to flush that particular type of pen. I've got a Lamy around here somewhere, so that was pretty straightforward. The Vac has a different filling mechanism than anything I'm used to, so it's not like I can use the plunger to pull in and eject water. :ohdear:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Reivax posted:

That fast food place sounds fantastic though; it's one of those Americanisms I'll never be able to wrap my head around. A weird blend of nationalism and religion. Could make a line of waterproof inks with a 'these colours don't run' theme.

One problem: You could only make red, white, and blue inks. And no one would buy the white ink. :smith:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Heath posted:

You guys are fast, thank you. Kessel, do the Musubi ones only come in one size? I have a hard time picturing exactly how big A5 is. I think I'm shooting for an A6, as I would like it to be roughly the size of an average paperback book - so bigger than a trade paperback, but not by a lot. I'm planning to use it as a book journal for notes on things I'm reading.

Here is a pretty dope conversion tool I stumbled on. Allows you to compare different sizes against one another; I compared A5 vs the US standard 8.5" x 11" letter size.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Keetron posted:

wait, this is like 1500 in pens? Did you burn your signing bonus on pens? (good choice!)

It's right there in the name, I think...

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I’m just catching up on the Noodlers saga, and I’m a little surprised at the apparent genuineness of that apology. It wasn’t really a complete one, but that’s more action toward an appropriate apology than the usual libertarian crank caught doing a racism. I guess in this kind of community it’s not like there’s a bunch of chuds who will rush to his defense despite no previous interest in niche writing accessories like you’d get for Black Rifle Coffee Company or My Pillow.

There were still pleas for Goulet Pens to not "go woke" on the IG statement above, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

The CHUDs in the comments though

yikes