Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
What exactly is stopping you from getting a part time job during the hours you're not doing intern stuff? Or your brother for that matter? Or are you too good to answer phones at Domino's from 5-8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Good lord I picked a name out of the air. Substitute Papa Johns for Dominos, whatever. My whole point was that there are part time flexible jobs that you can get as a second job. And yes, actually, Dominos will hire you for just the volume shift, albeit as a driver usually.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Edit: Never mind, just ignore me. I got Manpower confused with the "rent-a-crackhead" daily work daily pay agency.

almightyerin fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 19, 2013

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

OP why you so litigious anyway?

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

My parents aren't lawyers but they both worked in a courtroom and their response would have been to laugh and say "sure hon, you go right ahead". It would never had occurred to me to threaten them with the law or taking them to court over dumb stuff. Now had they been asshats who stole my trust fund or something thats a little different. Their view on things was to not involve the cops unless it was a dire cop-warrenting bad situation and you certainly don't take someone to court over piddley stuff.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

You ought to get a job waiting tables, after the training its cash in pocket every day. Take a cab back and forth and sock the rest of the money away until you have enough to buy a couple hundred dollar beater car.

Personally, I think you should join the Air Force. Basic is easy, they'll pay for your graduate school, and you'll get some much needed structure in your life. I think you could use some structure.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

OP, now this is just a thought...might be a stupid one too but hey I'll toss it out there. You could call and say something like, "I know you said Monday, but my mom asked me if I'd be available to drive granny to the doctor on tuesday, should I tell her I'm working?" or something like that. Then he will either tell you not to bother coming in anymore or what time tuesday can you work the night shift. Like I said, just a thought.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Covered In Bees posted:

You have dainty feet, right?

I think that was that other kid that had the dainty feet, Captain Walker.

As for you Benny, I'm not surprised you lost the cook job if you had zero experience. It's kind of a pain training someone in a busy kitchen. You ought to try being a server next time it's really not hard. You can make halfway decent money and it IS like the stock college age job so there is no shame in it. You would have enough to buy a car fairly quickly. Or what about this. Your mother is the only one working correct? Would she let you use her car at night to deliver pizzas? Does your father have a car? Tell me you have a drivers license.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Maybe he told the guy he'd cover then said so and so was supposed to be working that shift not me.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

My husband's mother works at Target and after 20+ years she still can't get a set schedule. Her hours don't even stay the same. One day she'll work a day shift and the next she'll be on the all night stock shift. Maybe you're better off trying to write than find a second job.

Corn Thongs posted:

Don't move out Benny, you're just gonna pull a Captain Walker and freak out and make your roommate call your mom to take you home.

Is that what happened to him? I kinda quit following the thread and assumed he was doing ok.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Abilify might as well be speed from what I've read/heard about it but it made me tired too. Maybe you're one of those people who has the opposite effect happen when they take certain pills. Which sucks bigtime in some cases, one of which being psychotropic drugs. Morphine type drugs for example will amp me up unbelievably while it makes most people tired. (I learned this fact right after surgery when they had to pretty much sedate me insensible with valium because the pain medicine had me so geeked I was trying to clean my room and couldn't stay in bed.) Once you get used to the drugs you'll know better I think. If something is going to react badly with you, you'll know, believe me. Keep it up, your body will build a tolerance to the side effects and it won't make you as tired after a while.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

That was captain walker. Hope that guy's okay...

Oh wow I forgot all about him. Didnt he get banned or something?

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

I haven't looked at this thread in a week and when I saw so many new posts I thought it was because Benny had gotten a job and everyone was all excited. How naive of me.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Quantum Finger posted:

Maybe try heroin? If you want to get better at lying you should get hooked on heroin and start lying to everyone. You'd also learn the valuable art of stealing, and you might get some action when you run out of money and have to suck dick for smack.

Have some gumption, son.

He'd probably wind up trying to snort tar and suffocating himself.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Well now that's awesome Benny. Now go sign up for Obamacare. It was unbelievably easy. As in all I did was fill out the online thing and my cards showed up soon after. I didn't have to send them info or anything. Do it.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

https://www.healthcare.gov/

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Click! Benny's finger thumps decisively down on the mouse button, saving his work. "Man that's the best episode of 'Holmes: Mexican Man with a White Trash Plan' yet" he thinks. "Guess I better go look at a few jobs" clicking his internet icon he types in the web address. He scans the front page for a minute then navigates to the forum he's popular on and browses for a while. Feeling a twinge in his gut he looks at the clock. "I need to eat" he mutters to himself on the way up the basement stairs as he shambles to the bathroom. The twinge intensifies. "Yeah, definitely time to eat". The habit of turning on the faucet to make people think he washed his hands is so ingrained in him by now he does it without thinking. Walking down the hall, shaking his hands as if to dry them, the front door opens. His mother staggers in. Shadows under her eyes, she stares dully at her son.
"Is there anything to eat" Benny asks.
Her voice is a faint whisper "Let me take care of your abuelo then I'll see if there's anything in the kitchen"
Benny sighs. He walks past his father who is ensconced in his favorite recliner watching Duck Dynasty and into the kitchen. A Mountain Dew Float sprinkled with cheetos would hit the spot right about now. He sets about mixing his treat when his brother Danny walks in.
"Gimme that ice cream, fart huffer" he says.
"No, get your own." Benny tersely replies.
A slap fight ensues, broken up when their mother rushes in. Grabbing their hands she shrieks "YOU ARE NOT BEING GODLY!" as she shakes their arms emphatically.
Benny rips free "IM CALLING THE COPS! I SPENT ALL DAY APPLYING FOR JOBS I DONT NEED THIS CRAP" He trips over his own feet and falls on his face in the hall trying to run out in a huff. A minute later he returns for his float and stalks back out. His Mother glowers after him a moment but then dozes off where she's standing. She's just come off of a 28 hour shift and she's tired. Danny shrugs and grabs the bag of cheetos. He's got some Victoria's Secret Catalogs to look at so he heads back to his room. He farts down the basement steps on the way.
"TAKE THAT DONG CRINKLE!" He shouts down the steps.
Benny doesn't bother to respond, just extends his middle finger in the direction of the door. He settles himself in his desk chair happily slurping on his drink, pausing to blow cheeto chunks out of the straw. Lets see what's new on the forums. "Oh a link to https://www.healthcare.gov/ Oh what the hell I'll sign up. Only if it's one page though. He flexes his fingers and types in https://www.healthcare.gov/ fills out a few boxes and promptly forgets about it.
A month or so later, Benny is out in the yard in his super hero outfit pretending to be a mighty crimefighter. The mailman strolls up the walk. "Hello there Benny, I have something for you" Curious, Benny thanks him and opens the envelope. Inside are two insurance cards. "Huh, I forgot all about that" he thinks "I HAVE been having this weird stomachache I might as well call and make an appointment"
A few days later, he's sitting on the exam table waiting for his results. A somber doctor walks in. "Benny, you were about to die, we found a large tumor" he looks at his patient and smiles. "Had you not signed up on https://www.healthcare.gov/ you would have died you know"
"Really?" Benny looks at him in wonder. "it's a good thing I took the time to sign up on https://www.healthcare.gov/ I really should turn my life around. He surreptitiously scribbles out a thank you card and hands it to the doctor. "You've turned my life around today" he says. "I'm going to go out and succeed from now on" and does just that.

TL;DR https://www.healthcare.gov/

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Edit: Aah never mind. It's not worth it.

almightyerin fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 21, 2014

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Colorfinger posted:

if you rewrite more songs from Les Mis for Benny / other E/N people I will sing them, and I'll get my wife dAPER to do any duet parts too

I could get on board with this.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Dang. Saw new posts and thought Benny was back. Oh well.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Yay Benny!!!

You probably won't hear from the insurance people. I didn't. I just up and got cards in the mail then a few days after that is when they called to make sure I got them and the handbook.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

How's your stomach? You ought to see a doctor if it keeps up. Might be a tumor or something, you never know.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

I was going to suggest calling around because sometimes you can find local dentists cheaper than the schools and saw this...

Benny the Snake posted:

I don't have insurance yet. Medi-Cal takes a very, very long time. During my lunch break today, I called several dentist offices in my area and a local dentist school. I found an office that charges $35 for the checkup (x-rays and cleaning) and they gave me a ballpark figure of around $50-120 for fillings, which is cheaper than the quotes I got from the school. My appointment is set for 3:30 on Wednesday. I'm going to talk to my manager tomorrow and explain that I'll have to leave an hour early the next day to make it to my appointment.

EDIT: the office accepts Medi-Cal, so hopefully my insurance comes in before my appointment.

I'm so proud of you I could bust.

Edit: I'm serious. I'll even defend leaving out of work early because he may not have been able to get a better appointment soon enough.

almightyerin fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 6, 2014

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Honestly I hate fillings more than extractions. It won't be too bad Benny. Just remember frozen peas will be your friend.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Toriori posted:

And black tea bags. They can really help soothe pain if you wet it, then rest on the extraction area. Be so careful not to get a dry socket.

They also help deter bleeding. She explained why to me but I was still sky high from the gas and didn't retain a word of it beyond "do this if you don't stop bleeding". I had a particularly vile extraction a couple weeks ago.
Also seconding the dry socket thing. The last 2 teeth I had pulled, I got a dry socket because I don't listen. It's been almost a month on the last one and it still hurts occasionally.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

If she drags her feet about it just go on and apply for yourself. If one of those teeth abscesses while you're waiting you're going to be miserable. Trust me.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

I think you should write a thank you card to the oral surgeon the minute you sit up after the surgery.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Perfidia posted:

^^
Prepare one beforehand to save time!

The mental picture I've got of Benny, loopy as gently caress, cotton-stuffed chipmunk cheeks fumbling out one of those spiral topped memo books and scrawling this illegible note is too hilarious.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

You can put it off for a good while but whatever you do don't let those fillings turn into root canals. Trust me.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah sometimes those meds are affected badly by caffeine. How long have you been on them? Eventually the tiredness should go away if that's the case.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Do they have Waffle Houses in California?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

At times, when I read this thread, I find the thought drifting across my mind. "What would this kid do if he was given the get out ultimatum from his parents?"

• Locked thread