Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?
You ever think about something like Americorps, OP? You've got volunteering experience, they house and feed you for 10 months, and it looks loving awesome on a résumé. Stash your comics at a friend's house, pack your crap, and get away from your uptight and physically violent family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

OP, this is a post not filled with unwarranted vitriol
I'm sure my last post got lost among the arguments over slavery (wtf goons holy poo poo), but have you ever thought about Americorps? You have good volunteering experience. They pay you, feed you, house you for 10 months. Plus it looks bitchin' on a résumé. Check it out, for real. Also good luck. I have no idea why goons went absolutely apeshit, probably because they miss having a whipping boy like Manchild King around.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

quote:

If I had the means and resources to move out, I would have. I'd be planning to right now as we speak. But I don't. Above all else, I don't have a job. Once I secure employment and have saved enough, then I will move out

I repeat, have you looked into Americorps?

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

OP, would you like information on Americorps? I am a current member and you're welcome to post and ask or PM.

Fatkraken posted:

to reiterate

Nope. Nope nope nope. Outside of loving martial arts or boxing, no one is within their right to hit ANYONE except in legitimate self defense. No matter how much of a "little poo poo" someone might be being. No matter their familial relationship. It wouldn't be OK between partners, it's not OK between siblings and it's not OK between parents and children.

The fact your uncle is justifying physical abuse indicates that even his house probably isn't a particularly healthy place to be long term, he's making you agree with very harmful premises.

If you can, it would probably be best for you to stay with friends for as long as it takes you to move out. Don't feel bad or guilty, if you want to pull your weight and you can't contribute much financially then cook and clean or something. If they are good friends they will let you know if you're outstaying your welcome.

Also, this.
Should Danny have been verbally aggressive? No. Is that an excuse for your mother to hit him? No. If he had gone to hit your mother, then it would have been acceptable for her to hit him, IN SELF DEFENSE. But a person doesn't need to protect themselves from verbal assaults by using physical ones.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Don't listen to Jizznastics. Never listen to Jizznastics about anything, ever.

OK, here you go OP (and whoever else is interested):
Americorps is an umbrella name for a bunch of programs. There are jobs where you do like office or teaching work, but you provide your own housing and food and transport. What I was suggesting was the NCCC branch. You basically volunteer for 10 months. They provide airfare out to one of their 5 bases (all US based). They give you group housing (like college dorms), you eat as a group with the food money they give you, and you do volunteer stuff. Rebuild houses, clear trails, and so on. I myself am involved in the FEMA branch, which is NCCC as well, but more focused on disaster relief projects. You get all training necessary for the job while there (CPR, first aid, chainsaw safety, etc.). You travel with your group within your service area (~10 states). You're paid a very small stipend. They provide a minimal health insurance. It looks awesome when applying for jobs. I'm unsure when the next application cycle ends, but I'll post some links to find out. And at the end, you're awarded a 5,000 dollar education award. You can use it to pay for school in the future, or to pay off student loans.

Basic info: http://www.americorps.gov/about/programs/nccc.asp

App for NCCC (closes April 1): https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listin...fromSearch=true

App for FEMA NCCC (closes April 1):
https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listin...fromSearch=true

Starter Wiggin fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 3, 2013

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Starter Wiggin posted:

Don't listen to Jizznastics. Never listen to Jizznastics about anything, ever.

Gonna go ahead and quote myself here.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

OP, might I suggest you look into becoming a bro jammer?

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

The difference is that Benny is interviewing primarily for things like retail and the food industry. If you're interviewing for a job as a short order cook, it's really not a, "I don't know much about the industry, but I sure am willing to learn! (Except I will blatantly ignore the advice you give me and then wonder why I'm not getting called back)." There's a dude coming in right behind him who's been doing the job since he was 15 and will follow instructions.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

As the one year anniversary approaches, I thought I'd take stock of what I've accomplished since Benny's has begun his journey. In the last year I have completed my AmeriCorps term of service, applied to countless jobs, been offered 7, accepted 1 and am moving states this week for my new job.
Come on Benny, give us some good news for the anniversary, we've all earned it.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Benny, you ever considered working for the government? Because they really like to say they're doing something, they're focusing on it, they're making solid effort, all while sitting there doing the same thing they've been doing all along (dicking around).

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

YOU. ARE. NOT. OVERQUALIFIED. FOR. poo poo.
I just wish this would get through your head. You are not above or too good for any job. Not custodial work, not fast food, not retail, NOTHING.
Stop putting Target on your résumé like literally all of us have said. You worked there for like 2 weeks and were fired. It does not benefit your résumé in any way, shape, or form.
We have all also told you to volunteer to fill the gaps in your unemployment. This has been suggested multiple times over the last year. While I am glad it has finally sunk in, I have to wonder why you didn't take this advice at any time over the last year. If you had, you know what your résumé would say now? It would say you'd been consistently volunteering at your library (or what have you) for the last year, instead of 1 week.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

I was trying to think of what Benny's, "A year later I murdered my entire family in cold blood" ending reminded me of, and I remember now.
You ever write a story when you were like 7 or 8 and end it with, "then they all woke up, it turned out to be a dream all along, the end"?
That's what it reminds me of.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Wangsbig posted:

a year later i slaughtered my whole thread in cold blood

Whoaaaaa, his "family" in his story was us, the thread, all along.
He dropped a sick metaphorical burn on all of us and we didn't even know it.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Aqua Bear posted:

Benny, we all know that following advice isn't really your thing, but just do this already.

What do we do when he posts it, and we are treated to, "this isn't my usual schedule I almost always (except this week) apply for jobs wayyy more often it's not my fault it was really sunny out and etc."

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Benny, did you see how Fanky Maloons offered more in depth critique of stories if you PM them? It would be wise to take them up on that offer.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Benny, with where you are now and what you have done and leaned over the last year, do you stil consider things like AmeriCorps and teaching English overseas to be options of last resort? Because you spoke of these a year ago as things you'd do if nothing panned out in a few months. Well, it's been more than a few months. What do you think of these options now?

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Benny, for all the other faults, I have to credit you with at least sticking with it. No, it's not breathtaking writing, but you're doing what you said you would do. And your writing is getting marginally better (to me, not that I'm some expert, just in terms of readability) with each week. So please stick with it.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Starter Wiggin posted:

Benny, with where you are now and what you have done and learned over the last year, do you stil consider things like AmeriCorps and teaching English overseas to be options of last resort? Because you spoke of these a year ago as things you'd do if nothing panned out in a few months. Well, it's been more than a few months. What do you think of these options now?

Gonna need you to answer this for us, Benny.

Starter Wiggin fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 25, 2014

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Sitting Here posted:

Heh, don't worry E/N, you and Benny had a good run. We'll take it from here.

Benny, have you heard about the numerous financial opportunities inherent in being an aspiring novelist????

But you see, reasons.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

I got yelled at last time I posted my list, but I'm reading these ones because at least something in this thread isn't disappointing.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Out of all the things to wish you had done earlier, you pick a typing certification.
Great priorities.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Let me get this straight, Benny. If others had reviewed your submission, it would "of" been better? So you're placing all of the blame squarely everywhere but on you.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Yeah, if you're thinking about doing the TD, do it. I am not a good writer. But I am also not the worst writer, and just knowing that gives me the juice to keep going and get marginally better each prompt. (Now that I have said this I imagine I will lose next week but oh well).

Benny, any volunteering prospects on the horizon? No need to lie about this.
Also, my job is literally finding or creating volunteer opportunities for actual children. If you are actually going to listen, I can point you towards some resources or opportunities. I doubt you will take me up on this. Or else I imagine you will tell me that it will become your "nuclear option".

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Croc Monster posted:

We're all having quite a good time here, thank you very much :colbert:

Besides, I haven't yet posted the third and final chapter of my paean to Benny.

Yeah, please get on that hombre.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

crabrock posted:

In my world a fellowship often means money.

In mine, it involves some poo poo rear end ring. But YMMV.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

So be vague then. I can do that.

First actual true statement out of you this whole drat thread.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Benny, did you see the like 12 love ballads to you in the dome this week?
It was kind of precious. Maybe this spoonful bullshit has softened me to Benny for a moment, because for all Benny's faults, I'm pretty sure he's not going to murder a stranger in their sleep for not drawing him a picture.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Starter Wiggin posted:

Benny, did you see the like 12 love ballads to you in the dome this week?
It was kind of precious. Maybe this spoonful bullshit has softened me to Benny for a moment, because for all Benny's faults, I'm pretty sure he's not going to murder a stranger in their sleep for not drawing him a picture.

Yeah, all my goodwill towards you spawned from ole gokupants has now dissipated. Thanks Benny.
Please tell me, did Benny try to send thank you cards to sebmojo and Fanky and whoever else?

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Way to just give up and roll over, Benny.
God drat.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Systran and I both made line crits of his previous story and received zero thanks (and definitely no thank you cards).

It's hard to wrap my head around the idea that Thunderdome may be brought up in a psychotherapy session.

"So these big meanies on the Internet got mad when I didn't follow their dumb ol' rules about writing stories and yelled at me and a bloo bloo bloo"

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm a liar by nature. Lying is as easy as breathing to me and it should be: I'm trying to be a writer, after all. But I'm glad that I'm not a habitual liar. I'm smart enough to know when to lie and when to tell the truth. In almost all cases, I'm honest and forthright. I've been honest with you guys because what would I get by lying to you? Nothing but bad things. Lying always manages to bite me in the rear end so I try to be careful about it.

And just to let you know, if I won't tell the truth then I just won't say anything. There's plenty that I've been holding back from you guys because it's in my best interests to do so. It just works out better that way.

This seemed applicable to recent events.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Benny, how is the library volunteering going?

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Hey Benny, how did your tdome sub extoll the virtues of telling the truth and following the rules? Also Jésus knew Diego while he was alive.
It's like you just wrote whatever the gently caress you wanted and then decided to submit it for kicks.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

"I called my legs back this week. They went with another candidate. Should I apply for a new pair of legs?"

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

You guys are going at this all wrong.

Benny, DON'T sign up for healthcare.
Signing up is beneficial to you. DON'T do it.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Bull Runner posted:

Was the adult baby thing ever proven?

Yes.

OH, the fetish. Yes.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

What goon is it that sings? Colorfinger?
We need him.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Benny has entered the dome this week again.

Interestingly enough, the prompt is about communication.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Benny, if you post here I will draw your OC.

Oh wait, wrong sad sack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

California is MediCal and you can only get services in your county or some other restrictive area like that, so it has a little hiccup.
But nothing like Benny is imagining I'm sure.

• Locked thread