Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Isn't this illegal?

It's going back and forth depending on your state. I don't think it's gone officially federal one way or the other yet, although your willingness to roll over for those demands of course depends on your level of desperation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

The obvious solution is right from high school have 2 facebook accounts. One using a nickname for your disreputable friends, and one with your legal name for your relatives, coworkers, and other boring people. That way you'll never accidentally tell grandma about how you got totally wasted, and you'll have a "clean" account to show potential employers.

I've always just used the litmus test of "Does grandma want to know about this" in the first place, but I may just be a weirdo in that I don't post drunken escapades all over the internet in the first place. v:shobon:v

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

I know I got it because they had me take a drug test. I'm cautiously optomistic: I won't be celebrating until I get hours after my first week.

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I had more than one company back in the day that had you get a drug test as part of the application process, and not a "we'll hire you if you pass the drug test" thing. Don't slack off on the apps until you've got a paycheck in your hand.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Jizznastics posted:

Why is everyone so happy? He's gotten this far before and hosed up.

Positive thinking.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

Other than that, I did well.

:ohdear:

Third self-assessment's the charm, I hope.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

Hell, even now it persists to where it's difficult to focus on one task at a time. But I won't know offici

Not sure if joke or actually that agitated. :ohdear:

e: I know it's easy to blame your parents for poo poo that's wrong with you now, but don't fall into that trap-- it won't actually help you. Just keep on with what you're doing, go to the doctor, make life easier for yourself, and get out of dodge asap.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

The thread has risen from the depths, and the only thing that's surprising is that he's only on the cusp of losing his job, as opposed to having already lost it

Benny, I think you should take any money you're saving for rent and use it on a shrink instead. If this is what you're doing now I shudder to think of how your interactions with a landlord would go.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The funny thing is, a poster literally so depressed that he wanted goons to help him destroy the world managed to complete a mod challenge, start getting therapy, and started to pull out of his funk in the time this thread has been going.

E/N success story of the year. :3:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Darth123123 posted:

Indicate you are highly motivated (lol)

It's a shame I can't empty quote this for a page and a half.

Instead, I'm just going to reiterate the "get therapy" thing. You're not going to be able to hack much of anything without it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

juche mane posted:

It's too bad that your english degree is so undeserved.

That's actually a mark in his favor, tutor people on how to fake it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

cucurbit posted:

What do you do all day? Really, give us a breakdown.

If it's anything like the breakdowns he gave us when he was jobhunting it's going to be made-up bullshit.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Geoj posted:

How is this even possible? Does Target run some kind of hosed up "1 week = 6.76 days" schedule that results in being able to squeeze 54 weeks into a year with 52?

It's almost like retail chains do this deliberately to keep their wage slaves from working two jobs :iiam:

In this new-fangled computer age, places like this tend to have programs do the scheduling for them in the interest of keeping their part-time workers at 39.5 hours or below, instead of sitting down with a big list of "worker availability" and a chart to figure it out by hand. A side effect of that is that it just spits out a randomized schedule per week without any attention paid to keeping people on the same schedules.

e: Which, I will add, makes it all the more imperative that you take the hours you can.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 27, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Before you get a new job, before you get a car, before you get yet another thing you need to take responsibility for dealing with for an extended period of time, you need to talk to a therapist.

Benny, have you talked to a therapist?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

I can't tell if Benny is just Ctrl+Fing "therapy" and putting users that mention it on ignore, or if the idea of getting therapy just sounds like it would waste too many of his precious 143 hours a week of free time so he doesn't want to acknowledge it as something he needs to do to become some semblance of a functional human being, and would prefer to spend the rest of his life being unable to put things in boxes,

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Dead Cow posted:

Benny, do you think that life works the way it does on TV? You don't need to come up with some elaborate lie to call out of work. In the real world we just say "I'm not feeling well" when we call in. We don't have to come up with some super specific tale of why we can't go and then hope to god we don't run into Mr. Belding later.

Benny gets his idea of how the world works from Archie comics.

Next week, "I accidentally scheduled two interviews for the same time! I'm going to get my brother to put a wig on and go to one as me, that'll take care of the problem!"

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Grin and Tonic posted:

Everyone need to stop recommending therapy because he's not going to go.

Telling him to do something he would actually do would only let him validate his life choices.

Also anything he would actually do would probably be terrible advice.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Xenocides posted:

I wouldn't bother. The blancmanges are pretty much certain to win it again.

Depends on how hungry the fans are this year.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

I need time to figure out the third step: time to first talk to my manager about stable hours. And from there, it's going to be finding a second part-time job or Resume to Interviews; maybe both.

RTI would be a full 1/8th of your monthly income. You seem to be getting interviews, it's passing them that you need and RTI only does that aspect as a bonus extra thing.

(I'd comment about English Major and writing services, but I used the glue from that particular horse to put my desk back together a couple months back.)

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Darth123123 posted:

So just ignore me. But please how much did the "RTI package" cost? Entertain me please.

RTI did my resume from what amounted from scratch for about $120 a year or two back. I would personally say it was worth it, but I'm a programmer and HR-ese is a foreign language to me-- I've never had an in-person at a company and didn't receive an offer, though. Which is why vv this poo poo vv seems like the opposite of a good idea.

Benny the Snake posted:

That's what I've noticed too. I'm getting interviews at the very least but nothing's sticking. I don't want to juggle two part time jobs; I want a full-time salary job. Trolling job sites hasn't gotten me anywhere: I need a resume service. I'm going to look into RTI right now.

Did you even read what I-

Benny the Snake posted:

And I've just purchased an RTI package. I hope I'll be able to get a career while using this service. And I do intend to put as much effort as possible into it.

:psyduck:

It's Resume to Interviews. They rewrite your resume so that you can get past the 1/600 odds of getting in front of someone. They can't pre-prompt you on questions that you'll get, and they can't sit on your shoulder and tell you "No, don't tell them about that time you missed work when you said you were hungover" if they ask you "Have you lied to your employers before".

Jesus, Benny. You need therapy, not more in person interviews.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 2, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Safe and Secure! posted:

I wonder if people said this sort of thing about "highschool education" back before everyone in the middle class became expected to go to college.

"What a waste of time to finish high school, I could have been making pizza full time for years!"

Possibly, but on the other hand, how many thousands of dollars in unbankruptable debt did you get into for your GED back then? :v:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Arch Stanton posted:

If all that is true then maybe people should make better career decisions to be more competitive in the job market rather than getting a known-worthless degree in a field they obviously have no skills in which averages a pittance for pay.

Because your college counselor obviously gave you the advice to not get a college degree, and none of your friends or relations brought their outdated opinion of "college degrees were required when I was in college so you better get one too or else" to browbeat you with.

Is it really that out-there a thought to not blame the people who were sold on "go to college" since they were too young to vote? Or are you just going to err on the side of "Well, I'm not in debt so they're just stupid :smug:"

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

MassaShowtime posted:

Benny have you done any sort of renovations before? Its not that easy and you can't even pack a box properly.

Watch as he starts arguing with a contractor about the safety of drilling through a piece of drywall without shutting the water off first or something.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

Benny, is the whole "working for your cousin" thing happening, or are you picking up more shifts at Target, or are you doing any freelance writing stuff on Textbroker or whatever?

He said he was ignoring the thread in the hopes of it getting archived, so
A. He's not going to answer, but
B. probably "no" to all of the above.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

The tests were for their use; not for me to hold on to and pass to prospective employers. And it's more the fact that I have a bad habit of misplacing things and it's been this way ever since I as a kid :smith:

I've found the "put your keys on top of it" method works pretty well for me when I'm leaving the house. As for once I'm out of the house, I just have a messenger bag that I carry basically everywhere I go. So long as I remember to put it in the bag, the bag is too habitually carried for me to forget it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Yad Rock posted:

No no no, you put your keys UNDERNEATH the thing you need, so you'll have to pick it up to get the keys! At least that's how I would do it :)

Nah, putting your keys underneath means you lose your keys under a pile of bills. Keys on top works as both paperweight and mental reminder.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

What a weird loving thing to post.

It sounds like a shadowy network of connected individuals need something better to do with their lives. v:shobon:v

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Benny, 'errata' is a collection of corrections, issued to fix mistakes with an initial printing.

:eng101:

Every context I've seen it in led me to believe that it meant "random poo poo".

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any better...

The most potentially entertaining part of any E/N thread is the part where a poster who knows the OP in real life shows up and pops their story like a balloon. This is probably the next best thing.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Pfirti86 posted:

Eh, I still think he should play it up in his cover letter. Even if it was a volunteer position, it seems to be the only thing he has that's relevant to finding clerical work.

I don't think anyone's saying "Don't use it for all it's worth", they're just recalling early-thread "I'm too busy with this very intensive work to look for other jobs".

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

The "Paystub on top of comics" isn't happening 'cause I'm too paranoid about giving out sensitive info like that (the paystub, of course). Also, I use OpenOffice, not Word. I've used Word for years though but one day I couldn't find my Microsoft Office '07 disk so I decided to use OpenOffice and haven't looked back since.

1. Blur out identifying information.
2. You ignored cname again. Stop ignoring cname.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Nathilus posted:

Constant, weird, and overly familiar firstname-like use of part of his username?

You do realize that one or two posts in he explicitly stated "Hi, my name is Benny". It's not like we're calling him "Nath" because we're too lazy to type or something.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

CravingSolace posted:

Benny, why are you doing an internship?

He's not, it's the one he was in at the beginning of the topic.

I feel the need to intervene because I know Benny is going to jump on this as a chance to reply to correct you and not reply to anything else from the last two pages.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Eris posted:

Silly Ursine - you overestimated Benny again. His latest "development" is an interview for an editorial internship on Monday.

Oh jesus, I did. :smith:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Fugue Stater posted:

Normally I'd agree with you, but Benny has still recently been pursuing editing positions/internships. Pointing this stuff out may be useful as a nudge to not waste time and energy pursuing such a path, at least until he really firms up his skills. And it seems that multiple reminders are often what it takes to get him to do things, which makes the grammar police thing at least somewhat relevant.

Not to mention that the resume he spent $100+ of his nonexistent money on was explicitly for writing positions.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

4th Asclepiadean posted:

The phrase "pants-on-head stupid" takes on a whole new meaning when applied to OP.

But having your pants on your head is a surefire way to make sure you stand out from the crowd of other applicants! :downs:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Eris posted:

I just dont understand how an interview is scheduled, and Benny doesn't think to ask about what the position is until afterwards. Like, as an afterthought.

Given his definition of "a foot in the door", I wouldn't be surprised if "an interview scheduled" actually means "they'll call me about an interview", because he's taking everyone at their literal word instead of reading into the actual meaning of "I'm never going to talk to this guy again so tell him I'll call him in a couple weeks and 'lose' his number".

I mean, how many bosses has he had that have, in his general words, "fired me but really liked me and told me they'd call me back as soon as another position opened up"? I think it's 2 actual bosses, and the same general phrase from 3 or 4 other places at the very least that have, surprise, never gotten back to him.

But hope springs eternal. Maybe this one actually will call you back!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

He contacted me through e-mail. I didn't ask because the guy spoke very broken English. English isn't his first language and I have relatives who are like that as well. It'll be much easier for me to talk to him in person as opposed over the phone.

oh christ

e: Benny, the odds of a company that has a hiring manager who can't communicate effectively in the predominant language of the country being a job you want to work at is basically nil. Let us know when he cuts you your first paycheck early, but it has too much and he wants you to cash it and bring back the remainder. Probably after mysteriously canceling whatever interview because "you seem like a great guy, we don't need any paperwork, you're hired".

I've had plenty of coworkers, bosses, and supervisors who were ESL at varying levels of comprehension, but never, ever HR.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 2, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Someone has to empty the wastebaskets, I suppose.

If the janitor shreds the papers, the CEO's not the one destroying evidence :smug:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Actually, being proficient in German and having experience around paper machines and with office work is pretty loving marketable.

Demand includes location. Being an experienced dock operator with 20 years experience won't help you get a job in Podunk, Kansas. Being German bilingual is useful, yes, but only in certain specific markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Araenna posted:

Pretty sure you should google what the guy you quoted told you to say.

:stonklol:

• Locked thread