Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Is there something keeping your brother from working a part time job during school? Especially since he has no problem spending your parent's money and racking up debt?

Is your internship free or paid, and if its paid, if your brother had a part time job you could probably move out and live with each other (although depending on your post-internship plans, that might leave him in the lurch if you are moving for employment afterwards).

If you're living for free with your parents respecting their house rules is pretty much part of the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
What could Danny have possibly done to wrack up $1,000 in credit card debt that you are ashamed of admitting to, when you have so much else you're free to talk about?

Why do you think that this unpaid internship is going to be useful in the real world? Are you learning any skills? What sort of connections do you really think you're making, and why haven't you put them to use yet to find a job? It's not like the connections and experience fairy puts them in a box for you when you finish the internship.

Things will get better and you will fix your broken-ness given time and effort (and it will take both, not just one or the other - a moment of hard effort or a year of timid time won't get you there), but you sound like you're waving your arms about an awful lot but still not treading water. You might need to reflect on why that may be - maybe if your resume is so killer as you say it is, you're presenting yourself poorly elsewhere. Maybe you're using your killer "gonna do great things" resume to apply for part time temp work that doesn't hire kids who leave in 3 months. Maybe you're not leaning on your connections and network to find a job.

With all the people you come in contact with through your SWEET INTERNSHIP, how many of them have you asked about jobs they're aware of for you or your brother?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

True. I guess I've developed this sense of entitlement that since I've invested so much time and money into my degree that it means I need to find something that'll be worth that time and investment. But right now that's neither here nor there. The main objective is to find a job reguardless of what kind of work it is. I've got a lot of humbling and perspective ahead of me.

Man you english so good I can sea that studying the language has made your spelling and grammer very well.

Literally every sentence above ("True" being a sentence fragment and thus excluded) has horrific grammar or spelling issues.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Sucrose posted:

If you take a lovely entry level job in a warehouse and you don't like it, you can just quit, you know. You're not locked into a goddamn contract or something.

but if he quits, he won't have a job and ... oh. I guess that isn't worse than where he is now.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

razz posted:

Is the Peace Corps an option for you?

The Peace Corps takes forever to get into, so if he's looking to move out in the next 6 months he ought to look elsewhere.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Hey OP, what happened to Uncle Cop's clerk gig?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

toby posted:

How about the Peace Corps.

Yeah how about spending the better part of a year gearing up to go spend 27 months abroad when you've demonstrated an immediate need to leave your family and launch a career.

Peace Corps is awesome, but it isn't something you do on a whim to get out of a bad place in life.

OP I want to root for you but you post an awful lot about things you're going to do and not a lot about things you actually do - are you following through appropriately? Are you interviewing places or never even making it that far? Did you learn the lesson about not trying to pass off whining about your family as a weakness?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

toby posted:

Again, that's fine. Maybe not the right thing for this case. Whatever. The idea is more that this is, in fact, kind of an "emergency" and maybe I was also suggesting that he find a job that moves him thousands of miles away from wherever he is right now...

You weren't suggesting that, though, you were suggesting the Peace Corps, which isn't just a long distance job. It's a tremendous obligation that requires a long lead-up of community service and pays terribly (while cost of living is largely covered, he would not be able to send any money home to help the family), while assigning you to places where you need to integrate with a local culture without a guarantee of things like electricity or running water (and OP can't even handle keeping the peace with his religious mom and dad). The only career advantage it offers at the end is that you get fast-tracked to the top of the pile for any government job.

My brother is shipping off in a couple of months for it, and if he wasn't so genuinely enamored with a life mission of helping people and bettering the world (which the OP isn't), he wouldn't be following through. Peace Corps is the opposite of an emergency lifeline - it's for people with blindingly idealistic goals to commit themselves to for a long period of time.

I agree he should be looking for a job outside of 15 minutes from home, but the Peace Corps is not that at all. Enlisting the the Army would be more in-line, as the whole process is pretty quick and you start getting paid quickly, and at wages in-line with living in the US, instead of some subsistence-farming village. If the OP is truly in an emergency situation, enlisting will solve all of that.

But I don't believe the OP is really in an emergency situation, because he seems to gently caress around a lot and seems really comfortable with the amount of "woe-is-me" his current living conditions afford.

I cannot loving believe that the OP thinks it will be useful to canvas the businesses next door to beg for jobs but only applies to a single job at the job fair he went to, because it was close by.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 15, 2013

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

As for why I only applied to one booth over at the job fair it's because, well, I know I'm not fit to sell insurance. Selling insurance to me is a lot like selling used cars as I'd be working on a commission to sell people what they can't afford. I'm too honest comfortable to do so.

Fixed that for you. Glad to hear that you are not pursuing reasonable job opportunities and instead are applying to roundtable pizza (which is of course something that people need and is therefore reasonably priced in comparison to insurance).

You are applying to incredibly close jobs that you are overqualified for on paper and ignoring job opportunities that might pay more than minimum wage because you do not really want a job, because you are comfortable with your lifestyle where you can like you have so many real problems (OMG guys my MOM is so mean she doesn't like us watching tits. Did I mention she buys the groceries and pays the rent?) that you are therefore exempt from needing to actually bust your rear end.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

It's time and money I don't have right now. For me, I'd have to take out more loans to go into graduate school. So I'm going to look into it later.

This Monday I'm going around town to any and every place I can find to apply at. I'm not hesitant to work at a fast food job, or at a supermarket. Heck, I loved working at a supermarket pushing carts-great exercise! And I've been going to my job agency and asking if there's anything, even warehouse jobs and they've said no. I'm waiting until Monday because it's the first day of business and there's more than likely going to be a hiring manager on scene.

On top of that, Thursday’s a job fair at USC. $15 for a ticket but as far as I'm concerned it's money very well spent. There'll be dozens of companies over there-I already looked at the list. I'm going to make a huge push this upcoming week and I hope something turns up. I'll work on calling family today in the meantime.

Hey how about you apply to all the jobs there this time instead of just one, OK?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Have you applied to any jobs that do not hire teenagers?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

CravingSolace posted:

He's gone to every place he can, gone to job fairs, tried family connections, etc. What the hell else can he do?

I mean there was that job fair where he applied to all of one job, because he thought that selling insurance was ignoble work compared to applying to McDonalds.

There's the fact that he's only looking for jobs within 15 minutes of his parent's home.

He's not sitting on his rear end entirely but he seems really comfortable where he's at, and is taking literal weeks to do what could have been days worth of effort. I don't see any particular reason to call this guy a champion here yet.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Remind us again why you need to live with your parents and thus can only apply to jobs within 15 minutes of their home?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's true he's probably going to have to open up the search a little. But unless he's like the only person in the country that can do a job, no one is going to pay for an air ticket just to get him in for an interview. Are there any jobs at all that would do this for anything outside of a one of a kind engineer or surgeon or something? Is it really something that happens often?

If they aren't paying me to fly out I'm not taking the job :smug: (but seriously, if they won't fly me out I'm not taking the job. I'm in the games industry and its the status quo, but we're skilled labor with off-the-job training. Even a run-of-the-mill engineer will be getting their interviews covered unless its a lovely place, though. You don't have to have 1 of 300,000,000 type skills, just skills that require existing training and experience.)

If the OP had tangible, demonstrable skills, yes, it is possible to have a company fly you out for an interview.

The OP has a BA in English which doesn't teach a trade the way an engineering or comp sci degree does, however, and he doesn't have an existing work history of note, except for his political canvassing, and given his relatively weak grasp of the English language (which is actually common among English majors, if my friends are any indication), I doubt he has the ability to market whatever skills he has in a way that won't ring hollow.

But even if he has no marketable skills, there are plenty of jobs within a distance such that he could drive out to an interview, and then either figure out reliable transportation or new lodging if an offer was made. This would require some element of planning, carry some risk (the OP would have to not suck so badly at the job that he gets fired, or else he'd likely have to move back in with the parents or sell the used car, etc), and otherwise require him to break out of his comfortable existence where mom buys and cooks all his food and shuttles his rear end around and does everything short of rubbing it out for him.

So instead, he applies to fast food jobs that he is overqualified for within walking distance of Mom's place to make a token effort, rather than buckling down and growing up.

Everyone moves out of Mom's place eventually (except for goons). This is the time for the OP to do so, and the first part of that search is looking for jobs that aren't on the way to Mom's favorite grocery store.

e: I would like to point out that the sole opportunity cost for the OP applying to jobs outside of MomCab's range is missing out on reading some comic books or playing a videogame. Dude has no responsibilities outside of household chores and his internship ended. Even on a lottery-winning chance, he should be applying to jobs. The worst thing that happens is they pass on him and he doesn't get the job, which he doesn't have anyways.

Apply to all manner of jobs, you can choose to not take them once they interview/make the offer. Shutting yourself down like you did with those insurance company jobs at the job fair is of absolutely no benefit.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 23, 2013

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

CravingSolace posted:

Sigma-X, he does not have a car, so he can't drive out, and the bus transportation is unreliable. He's also fairly broke, which is why he's at his mom's house for the moment, and also why he is applying pretty much everywhere, even fast-food joints.

if you get an interview at a place far away you can rent a car or bum a ride or otherwise figure it out.

Very few things in life are impossible, and most importantly, the time to determine whether or not it is worth it is when you have the opportunity.

If you do not give yourself the chance to have opportunities, you will not have them. This means you need to apply to jobs rather than assuming you can't make it to the interview.

e: have any of you applied for a job that isn't fast food?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

It's not exactly "15 min. from home". I'm just trying to figure out locations to where I could best coordinate a route to where I could get from home to work and back again without having to commute for so long. I had to commute via buses to school. Took me an hour and a half and I had to hop three buses. The simpler and less time, the better.

And as for teaching overseas, well maybe. I'd assume the program would teach me the local language, right? English is the only language I know.

EDIT: I networked with an online marketer on Friday. Gave him my resume. And I stopped by the grinder place and they want to do an interview on Monday. I'm getting somewhere. Next I'm going to catch up on that political campaign that asked for an interview. And the Tilly's. Tilly's looks like a nice place to work at.

if it was good enough for school it is good enough for a job.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

BrainParasite posted:

I'm sure you could find similar nits to pick with the other 12 million unemployed Americans.

The lovely employment situation in the US is not justification for the OP's lazy approach to the job hunt. In fact, it should be the opposite. When my brother was looking for a job he spent months looking for one, but one of his days was like the OP's week. If the OP keeps up his current rate of job search, he's going to be 30 and still at home with no job threatening to call the cops on his parents who are increasingly wondering at what point they can throw him out on the streets without having a job lined up because they're sick of his poo poo.

The OP's problem is, and has been, that he is really comfortable with his life and doesn't want to leave home because it is all he knows, and so he's not putting in the full effort on the job hunt.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Toriori posted:

You kind of just glazed over the teaching overseas, but why not? You don't have kids, you're young, you aren't tied down...do it! You can go just about anywhere you want! See new places, learn new things! Even learning the language isn't something you -have- to do. Would it help? Definitely! A guy I work with was telling me about his brother who taught in Japan for 5 years and even now has a tenuous grasp on speaking and reading the language. Isn't there somewhere you've always wanted to travel? May as well get paid to do it.

If he can't do it at home where mom wipes his rear end and makes him dinner, he's not going to do it.

Benny the Snake posted:

Well now that my writing is under scrutiny....

Searching for a job is my full-time job, hence I can't devote all drat day to writing. And during the past four years, I've mostly been in school. So yeah, there hasn't been enough time or focus to complete it into a story because I had projects. Now that I don't have classes or volunteer work, I'm not going to devote myself fully into writing this story as I need time to find part-time employment. Besides, an hour a day is a good writing regimen. My editor is a trusted friend and I've burned once before so I know now what it's like to be cheated.

I'll look into teaching abroad. My language concerns are moot because like swimming, there's no better way to learn another language than to dive right in. Can't remember the name of the program, but I know it's a snappy acronym.

Hahahahaahahahaha. "I've had too many other things to keep me from writing, but I'm sure I'll be able to do it immediately. I don't need to move out of mom's house because I'll just become a famous writer and then it will all be taken care of"

The absolute best thing you can do for yourself and your writing, right now, is to move the gently caress out of mom's house and get some actual life experience. Along the way you will realize that you have full command of your life and your decisions and will either realize you never wanted to write, just to magically become a famous writer, or you will realize that you've been making excuses for not writing.

You have had 4 years to write and you haven't written 5 loving chapters yet, because you are terrible. My brother got his english BA and had written multiple novels during that time while working part time jobs. Dude writes every day, and it turns out after doing that long enough, he became a professional writer. You have about 8 years of actual writing to work through before you will have a job writing, so you should probably stop making excuses for why you can't write, and start writing.

You could write a lot on those long commutes to that job you don't want to apply for because it would mean leaving mom's house.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

I have got to learn how to keep my mouth shut :ohdear:

You have got to understand that it is time for you to leave your mom's house and embrace the scary reality of the future.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Shawn Colvin 2012 posted:

Are you weird In Real Life? Is there a reason 10s of places you have applied to, including entry level lovely jobs, haven't called you back?

that is relatively common for anyone. It is, however, especially common if you have a lovely resume and/or are a college graduate applying exclusively to fast food places that are looking for a teenager whom they can count on.

on that note: OP, is your resume full of as many basic english errors as your posts, or perhaps full of mistakes like your "my biggest weakness is my family issues make me unreliable?"

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

reflex posted:

Warehouse jobs are great. If it lasts longer than a month, you're going to get some great perspective on how the world actually runs.

I am really hoping he actually gets the job and is able to struggle through it long enough to see some other idiot bitch out first and see how much of himself is in that other guy, to give him some perspective.

Good luck OP! The first ten times you feel like quitting, write down the reason why. Look back at them when you hit the 11th time and hopefully you'll see how weak-sauce your first ten complaints were and find out what it means to stick through something.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

I really don't want to go back to a fast-paced industry where I have to ask someone to translate for the supervisor. Each and every person wearing a vest that said "supervisor" spoke Spanish and not English. That was probably the most fustrating aspect of the job.

Maybe I oughta look into Fed-Ex or UPS direct warehouses instead. Can anybody speak on what kind of work they do? if the work's any good?

A bloo bloo bloo, poor baby.

Hoping you haven't posted today because you're back on the job.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

waste of internet posted:

You're completely useless. Just see a therapist and get on disability. I'm not even kidding, you know you're 100% unemployable when you can't even use Google. There are people out there who don't know how to detail but would sure as poo poo figure it out if a job was dependent on that knowledge. You're not one of them.

To be fair, if he didn't know what detailing was and was asking that question in an interview, he doesn't have time to google it while talking to the person.

Of course, he could have maybe READ SOME loving CAR MAGAZINES TO LEARN ABOUT WRITING FOR CAR MAGAZINES BEFORE THE CAR MAGAZINE WRITER INTERVIEW, but that would require a level of effort beyond "abso-loving-lutely-nothing".

The OP does not want to leave his comfortable house and will continue to sabotage himself until eventually his parents kick him out as they can no longer afford his freeloading wastrel self.

OP, you're at the bottom of the dunning-kruger effect. You are too dumb to realize that you are dumb - you clearly didn't know that you should be researching a job that you know little about before the interview, despite every bit of interview or job hunting advice ever written includes the words "research your potential employer beforehand."

To fix that gross ignorance, you really ought to spell out, in detail, your current job hunting methods, schedules, processes, and teh specific interview exchanges that happen when you get to an interview. From there, goons that hate you so badly they want you to succeed can both A) laugh at how goddamn dumb you are, and B) point out where your mistakes are and offer advice on how to fix it.

There isn't a person in this thread that doesn't want to see you move out of your parents house and graduate into being an adult, but you have long since passed into "pissing in the well" territory on the "goon stuck in a well" e/n analogy. If you take a moment to stop digging deeper and entertain the notion that maybe you're grossly misinformed about what a successful job hunt looks like, we can hopefully correct you.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

I've only used family once so far: the police department clerk position which was taken by somebody in-house.

So with this in mind, when you said this earlier:

Benny the Snake posted:

Well there's a hospital up the street and I have an aunt who works there as a nurse. Would I need first aid training to work so much as a receptionist at a hospital right? I'm just making sure what kind of training I'd need for this kind of thing. And besides, a hosptial job would be great. I'm gonna call her today and ask.

You really meant "not going to ever bother looking for a job because I don't want to move out of mom's house," right?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

I had to call my boss today since he hasn't called me. He told me this: "Because you don't have much kitchen experience, we're trying to figure out where to fit you in." Now how I'm taking it is "I don't want to spend the time to train you so I'm going to cut you loose soon."

So you know what I'm going to do? I'm going to call every day and ask if he has work for me. Either he's going to train me to be a cook or he's going to lay me off. I've got nothing to lose.

In the meanwhile, job fair on Thursday and I'm going up to the mall to hit up the Hollister, American Eagle, and Tilly's that I applied at to talk directly to the hiring managers. On top of filling out applications. I had something. Now I know what I have to do in order to find it again or hold on to what I have. I'm feeling optimistic.

That sucks dude.

How competent were you in the kitchen on the day you were there? How did you compare to the other folks?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Xenocides posted:

Are you purposefully sabotaging yourself because you do not like your jobs?

I used to think this but I think it is more a matter of not having enough responsibilities or job training early enough in life that he knows how to get things done. To self-sabotage would indicate the ability to actually pull these things off.

Just to be clear, OP - the whole towel/zucchini thing - was this a paper towel or a real loving "we wipe the counters with this towel" or what? It is unclear from your description - I can imagine a damp counter-wiping towel bursting into flames on a griddle but you seem to believe that is the case, so I'm hoping it's a paper towel.

Otherwise I'd be with you for refusing to use a towel, or at least asking "is that sanitary?"

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

edit: Granted I only worked for a month,

Benny the Snake posted:

edit: Granted I only worked for a week,

I don't care if you're lying to other people about your work experience, but please don't lie to yourself.

You lost the job because you were slow. Because you felt this way:

Benny the Snake posted:

My job is going well. For the past couple of days, I've been closing. It's not hard work, but at the same time I'm working slow. Of course, I've been out of work for so long I'm rusty. But it's a bit discontenting to see other employees out-pace me. Really most of it is figuring out where things go and how they want things done. I can say with confidence that I'm doing the best I can.

You need to understand that you did not get the job because you were not good enough. The effort you put in and the results you got were not good enough to keep the job. You will need to do better at the next job you land, and to do that, you need to recognize that as a fact, internalize it, and take steps to improve.

If you want that dishwasher job, you should probably spend this week washing dishes. Crank the water a little hotter and time yourself to wash them a little faster every day. It's not really the same work, but at the very least the experience will hopefully condition you to get into the groove of attempting self improvement.

e: something that should probably be said,

A lot of people (myself included) have talked about these sorts of menial jobs as being hard as hell to gently caress up, dirt simple, etc. It is clear that they aren't for you. That's OK. They will get easier, but you need to push yourself for a while, you need to push yourself so hard that it becomes hard work. 6 months after you've been working the job it will be a lot easier for you, but in the beginning, if something isn't incredibly challenging for you, it means you're doing it too slow.

One of the things that really helped as motivation for me at these kinds of jobs was knowing that I could slack the gently caress off once all the work was done. There was a poo poo ton of work to be done, and it was not a fixed amount, but driven by customer count, but the way I improved at making sandwiches and pizzas was by practicing and always pushing myself to BE FASTER. Once I clear the customer line, I get a moment to myself to relax and do some slower paced poo poo, etc. A lot of times, too, being faster means doing things right the first time - whether it is making sure the prep work is done properly, or doing all the steps in the proper sequential order, putting in a bit more effort for quality so the sandwich doesn't fall apart when you cut it, whatever.

While making sandwiches and pizzas was such a dirt simple job that that my idiot highschool self could do it on 3 hours of sleep eventually, that didn't mean that I didn't have a couple of weeks of ramping up to that poo poo. I think it took me 4 minutes to make a sub when I started, and I could make them in under a minute within a few weeks, because you had to be able to do that to clear the lunch rushes.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't feel ashamed that it is hard work when other people have downplayed it as simple, but also don't expect it to be simple or be satisfied with a mediocre effort.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 21, 2013

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

the runs formula posted:

It's great that you're tens of thousands of dollars in debt for an education that thought you to use big words in speech.

man you english so good you might degree-havin'?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

BrainParasite posted:

I'm genuinely curious, why do so many fiction writers say that being a good reader is the most important skill to be a good writer?

I'm going to use the word creative in a hopefully non-pretentious way - I'm talking about anyone who creates "art" whether it is a writer or a dancer or a painter or a singer.

Bad creatives/hopeful creatives will say enjoying a lot of creative works is vital to learning how to be a good creative.

Good creatives will observe other creative works and dissect them to their elemental pieces to isolate them, reconstruct and assimilate the techniques.

Observation is the hardest to train skill for any creative endeavor - when we "enjoy" a creative work, whether it is playing a game or reading a book and getting lost in that world, you are experiencing the end result but not seeing the construction therein. To observe a piece of fiction or a woman's face or a melody is to look past those experiences and see the elements of construction behind it.

Film Study is one of those college electives that people take thinking they'll be enjoying, when the entire focus is on observation - if you've ever known someone who has taken a (good) film study class, they'll start talking about mise-en-scene and generally be obnoxious in their dissection of whatever movie you're watching with them. This is because they're observing the construction of the film rather than watching the slowmotion titsplosion.

An essential part of observation, however, is experimentation, and testing theories. You can only theorize and test so much of a final product for the construction methods - imagine a book as a house - by looking at the walls and soffits you can get an idea as to the stud construction and maybe some of the plumbing or wiring, but you're still only guessing as to the full construction. So you need to build a house yourself to get a better handle on how the details of that construction works.

Reading books to become a writer is like eating food to become a chef.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

Oh and there's a new fast food joint opening here. I actually talked to the manager who said to wait until the place is opened to apply.

Benny the Snake posted:

I have no illusions: I'm working as a crew member and I'm in absolutely no place to ask for a management position. But right now I'm just scared :cripes:

When you're applying to these crappy fast food jobs, the reason your degree can/will be held against you is it can give the appearance that you're not going to take the job seriously and not be reliable/will leave for something better immediately. You should absolutely be giving them the impression that instead you would like to work your way up - you don't have the experience to move into a management position immediately, but when they ask the "is this guy going to flake out" questions that looks like "where do you see yourself in X years, etc" or other questions about the future, you should give answers that involve you moving into more managerial roles. You want to give the impression that you will care about the job and want to improve and do well. You don't have to ham it up about how its always been your dream to be assistant night fry manager at McDonalds, but talking about wanting to stay in the area due to family and that you'd like to see yourself taking on more responsibilities at the job so that you can leverage some of the organizational skills you picked up in college/your internships.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

in_cahoots posted:

For tutoring you literally just need to put your info on a flyer, add those tear-out phone numbers at the bottom, and staple it around your college. Go look at a posting board to see what I'm talking about.

English Tutor Available
Flexable Schedules, Affordable Rates
I will help you indubitably
Profreading and Editing, Assistence with Citations and Formating
You're ace in the whole

Call Benny the Snak

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

True story. My first day working parking lot, I smashed some guy's side window. It was dark out and there was nobody else but me and two other guys who were were parking lot too. They just told me to don't say anything and I didn't get caught. A month later I smashed a coworker's side window and he told me not to worry about it. And then there was a time when I try pulling a cart out of a tree plot and some lady pulls in at the same time, scratching her car. She goes straight to my supervisor and I insist she pulled in on me. My supervisor said he believed me and I wasn't penalized for it.

Now before you start with the :downs: jokes, I'd just like to point out that even while pushing the limit (six at a time), it's very difficult to maneuver through a parking lot.

EDIT: I got an email from Buckle. I wasn't chosen. At least I have Tar-jay.

Man how the hell did you get a degree?

I would regularly push 12-18 carts at a time in highschool (I believe my high score was 23 of the large ones and 30-some of the small ones) and never once hit someone's car. We were only supposed to do 6 at a time but we were also yelled at if the vestibules were empty of carts. I didn't even have a hook/cord for half of my time (and it didn't stretch the length of the cart trains I would have - we were understaffed and overworked and pushing carts is poo poo work). These are big metal loving carts, too - the secret is to manage momentum and not be a loving idiot about things.

Hell, the only time a cart came close to hitting someone's car was during the middle of a storm when some rear end in a top hat didn't put his cart away and the wind got one rolling towards a car and I sprinted my fat rear end to it and grappled it with my cart hook, yanking it to the ground LIKE A TOTAL BADASS (or so I felt at the age of 16) before it smashed into someone's car.

I had been thinking you'd do better in an office environment, but I'm not sure there are offices that use circles of paper.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zelder posted:

E/N Bullshit > You call that pushing a cart? THIS is pushing a cart!

Awful lot of cart wizards in this thread.

Don't let anyone in this thread bully you into putting more energy into a minimum wage job than is necessary. The necessary amount? Minimum. Do what your boss says, and ignore the next poster in the thread who will attempt to dazzle you with a story of the time he maneuvered 60 carts through a Saw-style deathtrap.

Cart Wizardry was a powerful motivator to never gently caress up so bad I had to go back to Cart Wizardry.

I agree that for a minimum wage type job with no potential for moving up you should put in what you get paid for and little else (while searching for a better job), but literal children and lazy teenagers have not been as violently unsuccessful at pushing carts. It's not a difficult job for most people.

The problem with encouraging Benny to not put in more effort than necessary is that Benny has no actual idea as to how much work is neccessary, and has repeatedly demonstrated that he has difficulty with tasks other people would find incredibly simple. So not loving up pushing carts could very well be challenging to him and if so, he needs to challenge himself because if he can't maintain a job pushing carts the list of actual jobs he is capable of as a human being are pretty much non-existent.

Benny, you need to work on whatever is hosed up in your head that causes you such issues with focus and productivity.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Benny, have you damaged anyone's car yet?

Please post updates.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Sounds like a fancy way of saying he finished college in december like he said he did and is going to have a graduation ceremony that weekend.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

AtmaHorizon posted:

this.

Hard to believe all this is coming from a grown up man.

Nothing about Benny is grown up.

Benny, I would love to her the train of thought that lead to "overthinking" an excuse into "I'll call in with a hangover!"

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Thora posted:

You are really good at dodging questions and answering what wasn't asked. Too bad those aren't marketable skills.

They were when he was interning with the local governor's campaign or whatever the gently caress it was.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

CPK found someone else. However, I might have a better employment opportunity. Someone in the family needs their house renovated so I'm gonna approach them about hiring me. Also, I've been set up with a psych through the City of Chino and we're scheduled for next Tuesday.

Please post pictures when you accidentally nail your hand to a loving wall.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

No, but by "renovations" I'm thinking mostly lawnwork. I do know that there are a couple of trees that need cutting down. My Dad's going to be contracted to do that, so I guess I'll just be shadowing him. And as angry as I am at him, I'm gonna follow every drat thing he tells me.

Goddammit Benny you're gonna lose a hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

AcidRonin posted:

christ can't wait for that post. "So i am going in to talk to my father about my workmans comp. lawsuit any advice?"

I can legit see him doing this, since his initial reaction to his Mom getting upset about the TV was to call the cops.

• Locked thread