Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Kopijeger posted:

Apparently Bioware had unconventional flag choices on the language selection screen of their own forums (maybe they are still in place):

Should have gone further, though. Quebec flag for French, Austrian for German, San Marino for Italian, Cuban for Spanish.

Given that Bioware are from Edmonton, this seems pretty sensible for them. Including completely ignoring Québec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Byzantine posted:

It's also why it's pretty stupid when other New World inhabitants get all bitchy about us using "American".

In my country, when someone wants to make a point, they call you people "états-uniens". It's super awkward, since the adjective "américain" is perfectly fine, but it does jump out at you in just the right way. It's even in the style guide of our best newspaper.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Golbez posted:

Does Labrador have some affinity to Quebec, or vice versa, that we should know about?

Not that I'd credit the makers of this piece of idiocy with the education to know this, but the Québec government does not recognize Newfoundland's ownership of Labrador. For this reason and others, there's long-standing political tension between Canada's oldest province and its newest.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

More a general geography question but we were just talking about it but were there any other major shipping rivers in Canada than the St Lawrence?

The Gatineau and Saint-Maurice carried more lumber down them than any other rivers in the world, in their day.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Grape posted:

how do they handle the Mexico stuff, do they just call it Vermont

Québécois go to Mexico all the damned time

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

In French, the contraction of definite articles "le" and "la" to just " l' " is part of regular grammar (not colloquial) if the next word begins with a vowel sound. Contracting when the next word begins with a consonant can happen in speech, depending on dialect and accent but wouldn't be transcribed to text normally; at least not in official names. (If you're writing dialogue in a novel, obviously, you can get away with writing like " 'l est sorti d'la f'ret pour aller à l'plage " or whatever.)

Oh so you've met my Acadien friends

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Soviet Commubot posted:

Not a map but one of my favorite things on the Internet.

It's a beautiful classic

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The couch is the size of a fridge tipped sideways.

It's pot. Marijuana.

I think ink is inquiries.

Nearly. Ink is meant to be read in French and it's a contraction for "rien que" (only or nothing but), making it one of those excellent contractions in spoken French that started this derail of a derail.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Weren't they having problems with French people moving there because its "Cheap" and the French can't concieve of a France with multiple cities. I remember reading several articles about Montrealites complaining about French international-Gentrification.

It's a thing and it's loving weird to walk through neighbourhoods emblematic of Québécois city life and hear nothing but Anglos and Parisians.

However, their kids are all as Québécois as anyone else's so it'll work itself out in a generation, it's not like this is the first wave of European immigration to Montreal.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Kreez posted:

My french is not native, and I find Parisian/French French accents exhausting to keep up with in movies or TV or whatever. Subtitles are definitely preferred if it's anything meaty.

It is quite strong though, (and would probably get back to approaching native if I moved back to Quebec and used it every day for a few months) so maybe you just have to hit a certain level after which accents become more of an issue than just understanding the language in the first place.

No it's not just you, Parisian French is horrible

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

ToxicAcne posted:

That map kind of confirms my belief that policy decisions in Quebec are far more influenced by what's going on in Western Europe (particularly France), rather than the rest of Canada. See also Bill 21.

Any contract regarding human bodily tissues is void in Quebec by default, which I assume included a foetus. Not sure it's explicitly banned.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

France often used to get called Le Pentagone until les amerloches built that horrible building.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQfMXmvPNYA

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

Does Quebecois French follow metropolitan French for numbers?

We do metropolitan french numbers yes. Most Quebecois immigration from France in the colonial era came from Normandy so there's weird language stuff sometimes but not for numbers.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

I'm Genoa/Geneva

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Byzantine posted:

fuckin lol

Oh, you laugh now...

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Blut posted:

Even the lowest UV areas in the US are higher than Germany/the British Isles though. But Germany has almost twice as high the rate of skin cancer.

Could be a reporting issue though I guess, yeah.

Pretty sure no German has ever heard of sunscreen and all have mutant skin that absorbs types of UV as yet undiscovered by science.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Platystemon posted:

This map is politically loaded.

Rivière Saguenay isn’t a tributary of the the Saint Lawrence. It drains directly into the sea.

Sorta. The Saint-Lawrence estuary starts around Quebec City and ends around Ile d'Anticosti. It's a big estuary. The Saguenay is tidal up to La Baie though!

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

BonHair posted:

The Israelites did have a fairly strong claim to it, what with being lost there for 40 years.

Was it even geopolitically relevant at that time or was it just a big useless desert?

Later on it was a whole Roman province centered on Petra, it was an important region for trade with India via the Red Sea.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

I'm not baptized simply because my parents aren't religious, and neither am I.

There is actually a thing here in Belgium where quite a few people have sought to be 'debaptized', usually out of disgust with the Church for some reason or other. I'm pretty sure that this has no sacramental meaning within Christianity, so I assume it just means that they're stricken from church records and membership rolls.

I had my baptismal record amended to reflect my apostasy from Catholicism. Got a letter from the Archbishop's office with his seal on it to confirm.

The local humanist association had a good form letter for it.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

These are sentences written by an insane person.

The map thread is a lot more comprehensible if you have Tei on ignore, they never make much sense.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Starks posted:

A quick Google suggests that they drink mostly light roasted coffee, which most people find easier to drink but is actually stronger in terms of caffeine. So two litres of that a day. Respect.

The caffeine doesn't get burnt off in any normal roasting process. Dark coffee is less dense, so if you use volumetric measurement you're getting less caffeine (and less of everything), but if you weigh the dose it'll be identical.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I'm sorry my man but that's just not true. Yes, French has a more consistent pronunciation/spelling matching record than English but that's like saying you're the least incontinent person in a home for the elderly and decrepit. If you're an L2 speaker of French and you're presented with a word you've never heard pronounced that ends on an S or a T, good luck figuring out whether to pronounce that letter or not. Even some L1 speakers make that mistake, for instance you're supposed to say the S in 'Anvers' but many people from France don't do it because they've never heard 'Anvers' pronounced.

Place names are hardly fair

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, and with French at least part of that is that older versions of French used to pronounce all of the letters. In fact that reminds me of this thing someone linked me of someone singing House of the Rising Sun in Medieval French

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvAEMz64O9c

This is loving dope

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’ve always wondered if an alt history unified Scandinavian state would try to standardize into one nordic language.

Poor GAR, tragically taken before he could become the Sun King

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Quebec seems to really like to think of itself as "french" instead of as its own thing after being disconnected for 300 years.

Eeeeeh.

This is one of those "depends who you're asking". In practise French and Quebecois speakers need to adjust their language to meet in the middle, it's really easy for them to be incomprehensible if they both speak their local/social dialects.

There are also two organizing bodies for the written language, and the OQLF and Académie don't always agree on neologisms.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Oh no another schism

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

The one map where you can always be sure they won't forget New Zealand.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

The local highways could really use a good earthquake, now that you mention it...

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Mustang posted:

Nicknames are dumb as hell, what's so difficult about calling people by their name?

There were six people with my Christian name in my small class in high school.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Minenfeld! posted:

Have a better name.

Wasn't up to me, sadly.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Saladman posted:

It’s really not. My wife is Swiss romande. I speak French daily. I lived there for 6 years. It has a few different words but it’s about as different as Chicago English and San Francisco English.

We live elsewhere now and no one ever, ever says "you must be from Switzerland" or guesses "Switzerland" for where she’s from, even after a minute of speaking French (eg with waiters or whatever), e: unless she says huitante.

poo poo I know some Savoyard French people who say huitante, so it's not even a 100% giveaway.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Private Speech posted:

I had no idea Austria has conscription! What is that even for?

In case some Habsburgs get any Ideas.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

ChaseSP posted:

Cappuccinos should have less caffeine in general so unless you drink right before bed it's probably fine to have one for a pick me up mid day. Especially for a coffee drinking culture that'll have high caffeine tolerance too.

Bad news about the caffeine in a cappuccino vs an espresso, champ.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Just use dark roast (I don't know where they sell some but I bet you can find some in the garbage where it belongs). Bing bong less caffeine!

Sorry, no difference by weight. Darker coffee is less dense so there's just less of everything (including flavour) by volume.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Not sure why this person thinks Canada would change the balance, given practically nobody lives here compared to the US.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Pennsylvania does usually have a tiny little coastline, but here it's been stolen by Indiana and Ohio.

That's just Philadelphian propaganda

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

And also French Guiana is an integral, indivisible, eternal part of La République Française, of course.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Peggotty posted:

Jesus Christ Canada, why do you need so many American things

We don't exactly grow oranges up here you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Ironically, none of the states with Canada as their top export partner grow oranges commercially.

I incorrectly assumed. I don't really eat oranges, Moroccan clementines are so much better.