Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hedera Helix posted:

Where did Armenia go? :ohdear:

It's there, as part of the Caspia region. The A sticks slightly into the Pontica region.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Not seeing the Kurds on here. That could be a problem!!!

That's Zagros, essentially.

Again, it's not a contemporary map of the Middle east by ethnicity, it's a particular way of mapping cultural influences in the middle east in the period a few centuries either side of 1000AD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why should it be labeled, when it's showing how the total population is distributed? The total area is in itself kind of a label really.

How many people live on the 70E line of longitude?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why does that matter? It's a visual representation of the whole world in aggregate, the absolute numbers aren't really that important in a comparative chart.

If it is a comparative chart, then compare the number of people living at 70E and 121E and tell me the ratio between the two. Or, compare the number of people between 15W and 60E to the people living between 30W and 135W. What's the ratio between the two? Is it 1:2? 1:3? Who can say, without a y axis?

The problem with the chart not having a labelled y axis is that without that the only thing the chart tells you is that a lot of people live in India and China, and that more people live in Europe and Africa--where humans have been around for millions of years--than live in the Americas where 90% or more of the population was wiped out 500 years ago. If it just had a properly labelled y axis it would tell you how many people lived on each line and allow you to make comparisons between different sections. Failing to label an axis is lazy and makes a chart less useful, and if the chart maker is lazy about something as simple as that, it's perfectly reasonable whether they are perhaps too lazy to gather their data in a proper and accurate manner.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What's the point though, the information the map is communicating doesn't really allow for any real analysis beyond what you wrote here anyway. Not labeling the axis would be a way to convey precisely that, making the map more honest about its limitations.

What? I don't understand what you mean here. The information the map is communicating is the number of people who live on each line of latitude or longitude. It fails in this respect because it does not have a labelled axis to show how many people live on each line.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Just because it doesn't tell you specific numbers doesn't means it fails, if the only intention is to give you a graphical impression of the distribution of the world's population. Since knowing how many people live at various latitudes and longitudes is nearly meaningless, given that the landmasses aren't uniform, the Earth is a sphere, there not being anything like latitudinal or longitudinal loyalty/political connection, differences in terrain/climate and so on, there's really little reason to have more detail than that. If you want a map where the distribution of population has actual numbers on it, it makes a billion times more sense to use an equal area projection divided into equal population zones, since that could connect all these elements into a cohesive whole.

By that logic, what is the point in the map existing at all?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Shbobdb posted:

Most people live north of the equator and HOLY poo poo, CHINA AND INDIA HAVE A LOT OF PEOPLE. As an interesting aside: HOLY poo poo, loving NOBODY LIVES IN AMERICA. It does a really good job representing those points. While they should be well known, showing the scale of it is really neat. Sure, it is a "gimmick" map in the same way that 70% of all the maps in this thread are "gimmicks", the remaining 30% mainly comprised of "historical gimmicks" but still gimmicks . . . and then every ten pages or so we actually get a map that clarifies a disputed border region. Note: most of those are also gimmicks showing really crazy borders.

Right, I get that it's a gimmick map, that's part of my point, that the objection that labelling the axes properly would not be useful in any way is a pointless objection when the map is a gimmick anyway. However if the axes of the map were properly labelled the map would be more "useful" in the sense that you could glean more information from it. Useful information, probably not, but it's a gimmick map anyway so the objection of whether the information is useful or not is pointless.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Boiled Water posted:

I don't know their names but I will bet you a large sum of money that they are legally a part of France and thus have a hijab ban in place in places of education.

I'd take you up on that bet. There's already a red marker on France, if that place was part of France it wouldn't need a seperate marker of its own, would it?

After all, there's no marker on French Guiana.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Boiled Water posted:

It would seem they are just islands with peculiar laws.

Lots of countries in that picture though. Looked it up, sources are very scarce, but I found one or two places mentioning that Hijabs are banned in schools in Trinidad and Tobago, so that's probably the one.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ponsonby Britt posted:

As I said before, the right to vote is defined as a "fundamental right" by the Supreme Court. The Court usually looks through a few different frameworks when deciding whether something is a fundamental right: (1) a deeply rooted history or tradition of the right's existence; (2) the opinions and intent of the Framers of the Constitution; (3) whether the right is implicit in our system of ordered liberty.

Is "the right to vote" fundamental? Under all three frameworks, the answer is yes. (1) Voting has been a central component of American governance since the 1600s - even during the Revolution and the Civil War, elections were still being held. (2) The power of (white male landowning) voters was considered a key check on legislative and executive tyranny by the Framers. (3) Voting is implicit in our system of ordered liberty. If we couldn't vote out oppressive leaders we would either lose our liberty to a tyrant, or else be forced to turn to a disordered method of change (like a revolution).

Is "the right to vote in judicial elections" fundamental? Under all three frameworks, the answer is no. (1) For hundreds of years, nobody voted for judges - it wasn't until the mid-1800s that some states began electing judges, and as you note some states still don't. We could possibly say this right exists, but it's not "fundamental" as the Court would define it, and so not deserving of the same protection. (2) The Framers were concerned with judicial independence and impartiality - they wanted judges to be insulated from voters, not dependent on them like the political branches. (3) If ordered liberty exists in the many states (and the federal government, and other common-law systems) which don't allow judicial election, then the right to judicial election is obviously not implicit.

This is the reasoning for why judicial appointments don't violate the right to vote. But to go back to your broader point, that there is no right to vote, from Reynolds v Sims:

How would the compact breach the right to vote? The compact does not remove anyone's right to vote, if it went into effect it would assign electors to the person who won the most votes nationwide, meaning that everyone's vote would have the exact same value no matter where in the country they were from.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not just you, gender is the one grammar concept that I've never seen any convincing argument in favor of. Or any argument in favor of, now that I think about it. It adds nothing but annoyance for non-native learners. It doesn't even have to be logical, like girl in German is neuter, not feminine.

Question for anyone who speaks a language with grammatical gender, did you learn a foreign language with grammatical gender in school, and how did you find that? I had a hard enough time remembering der/die/das for nouns when I learned German in school, I imagine it must be even worse if you already have genders for nouns in your own language and they bear no relation whatsoever to the genders of your own language. Or is it easier, because you already understand the concept?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

bronin posted:

Its not easier. In your first language you just know which noun is which gender. In the new language you have to memorize them. Like cat. In German it's always feminine, in Spanish it's masculine. It sounds weird to refer to a cat as "he".

Do you always refer to cats as she in German, then, even if it's an actual male cat? Or just for general use the way English speakers default to "it" if it's a cat of unknown gender?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

bronin posted:

Well there is "Kater" for a male cat but I rarely use it. You see a cat you call that animal Katze. If someone asks you specifically you could say it's a Kater. Same with dogs. If someone asks about my sister's dog I call it "Hund" even if the dog is female and there is a German word for it (Huendin).

It also depends on the dialect. Butter and Semmel (bun) are both feminine in standard German whereas in my dialect they are masculine.

Can't think of any more examples right now.

I was meaning more in the sense of the pronoun itself though because you said it was weird to call a cat "he". If you owned a male cat called Heinrich and someone asked you what the cat's name was, would you say "Her name is Heinrich"?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

XMNN posted:

Blue - wet county
Red - dry country
Yellow - semi-dry county

I didn't realise quite how not dead prohibition is in the US. I guess a lot of the dry counties are really underpopulated and most of them aren't too far from a wet one, but it looks like in some areas you'd have to drive hundreds of miles to get a drink? I think the most surprising thing is that Kentucky and Tennessee which are pretty famous for booze are almost entirely dry.

I'm at work and can't see the map you posted, but if it's the map that was posted about prohibition last time the key is actually:

The map is of each county according to whether the county itself had any restrictions on the sale of alcohol in addition to state laws. So blue is "same laws as the state", yellow is "laws more strict in this county than in the rest of the state" and red is "alcohol sales prohibited in this county".

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Torrannor posted:

But... but Turks are ASIANS? Caucasian Asians to be sure, but it doesn't make sense. The Muslim Caliphates ruled big parts of Africa long before the Age of Colonialism. And even Carthage was a country of semitic (thus Asian) Phoenicians. Which brings me to Spain: So neither the Phoenician Nova Carthago, nor the Roman conquest of Hispania, not the Norman conquest of Hispania happens, but the Umayyads conquer it while the Reconquista doesn't happen. What does that have to do with colonialism? Similar deal with Sicily, where Rome, Carthage and Greek Syracuse coexisted until the Romans conquered it all. When has any African power held the Island before the Muslims?

Even if the point is to show Africa without any form of colonialism, that would obviously invalidate the Muslim conquest, yet the whole of Northern Africa is ruled by various sultanates, and somehow the Muslim conquests of Spain and Sicily still happened.

It is still a very neat map, but these inconsistencies are a bit strange. And I really wish he would not have drawn it upside down, it is more difficult to overlay it with the current Africa map to see how hosed so many countries are. The European colonial powers sometimes seem to have worked really hard to form states that surely must explode because of ethnic tensions.

It's a work of art, not a scholarly piece of Alternative History.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

A double Nordic Cross, if you will. Seriously though, don't get that busy abomination mixed up with our junk. I mean, a centered cross? Really? It's like you people (non-nordic cross havers) never heard of the golden ratio :smug:

Here's a nordic version I mocked up, sadly I don't think it's all that good:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Disco Infiva posted:

Well, the Nerds only created first Rus states, they didn't really colonize the area so I don't believe that they will have much genealogical impact on Russians today.

I had no idea the kingdoms of Gondor, Alderaan and Equestria were early Rus states.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Riso posted:

To be honest wasn't thinking about the Aztecs/Mayans/Incas, I meant the North Americans.

That's who Chippocrates meant too.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tony Jowns posted:

Yeah, it's the difference between "y'all" and "all of y'all"

Does the fact that there's an "all of y'all" construction in the American South mean that "y'all" is simply becoming the second person singular, or is there a formality distinction between "y'all" and "you"?

I mean, English used to have two second person pronouns, thou and you, and thou was the informal singular while you was both the formal singular and the plural. Thou fell out of use because it gradually became offensively informal, leaving us with just "you", but there seems to be some need for a formal second person for some reason, as working in a call centre in Scotland I have observed people saying "yourself" instead of "you" where it is not grammatically necessary when trying to be polite down the phone, and on rare occasion I have been addressed as Yous on occasions in my life when a stranger was having to be formally polite to me (resteraunts, for example).

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Backweb posted:

So if I understand you correctly, I'm looking at a Texas-sized radius around the border of Texas?

Thanks, I was a little confused from the description, since I'm sure there's no place on earth you could not find two points in texas that it was equidistant from.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Well I think outside that area there will always be one single point that is the closest part of Texas. (So there might be a qualifier missing in the original definition)

E: Oh I get it. It was meant to be: All points A such that there is a point B in Texas that is equidistant to A and another point C also in Texas. So A <-> B == B <--> C but not A <--> B == A <--> C as the original post could be interpreted.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
So is New Zealand's primary export Anchor butter?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Lycus posted:

I think the British one looks silly.

It's not even a neo-nazi symbol, on account of it being pretty hard to be neo-anything when you ceased to exist five years before the thing you are the supposed successor to.

It would be nice, though, if the last nazi party we'd had died in 1940. Sadly that is not this universe.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Some of them have the chips you're talking about but not many because barely any payment processor here supports it. None of them have pins, but debit cards have pins and you can generally use those everywhere except online. A bunch have those RFID chips in them that let people steal your identity wirelessly or whatever, but all the stores around me disabled their receivers because they broke a lot and nobody ever used them. This is probably just an abnormality but who knows.

EDIT: So if you buy things online do you get a card reader for your PC or do you just use the pin in that case? I always thought the chips were a neat idea.

If I buy things online I don't have to enter a pin, but in the majority of cases I will be asked to provide three characters from a password I have previously set up, e.g. I will be asked for the first, fourth and ninth letters. If I did any Internet banking though, my bank would provide me with an authenticator which would require me to put the card in the authenticator and type in my pin to receive a one-time key as part of the log in process. My bank also does this when I go into a branch, when I reach the teller there is a chip and pin keypad where I have to insert my card and enter my pin to verify my identity. Before any transaction actually gets processed by the teller, the pad's screen light up showing how much money is being transferred, and to whom, and I must confirm it on the pad before the transaction goes ahead.

My credit card works exactly the same way.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ditocoaf posted:

It's always amazing to re-discover how far behind the USA is in so many things. Our culture has a ton of ego wrapped up in the idea that we're the most advanced in everything that matters and other countries exist on a spectrum from "backwards hellhole" all the way up to "america junior".

No matter how hard you try to not fall for it, it's still easy to be surprised when you encounter the solutions that other countries are using to problems we've somehow filed away as "just something we have to live with in modern society. :911: "

So in America, I assume people carry a lot more actual cash, since paying with card for the majority of things would be inconvenient? I spend about £2.50 ($4) a day on lunch when I'm at work by heading down to the convenience store around the corner, and pay by card each day, and would generally do the same for any purchase larger than that. I carry about £2 in change or a five pound note just in case I need to pick up something from the smaller shop near home which charges to use a card or some other edge case which requires cash, but the majority of days I don't use it, and the only circumstances under which I'd carry a larger amount of money would be if I only had larger notes, or if I was going out to a bar which didn't take cards.

That's not to say everyone in Britain is like me (far from it), but could imagine getting funny looks in America if I tried to pay for a baguette and a small bottle of coke with a card, given that you apparently still have that rigamarole of handing your card to the cashier, swiping and signing.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

cheerfullydrab posted:

If the UK is the successor state to the Kingdom of England, it should say 1688. Dutch people straight up invaded that island with an army and made themselves rulers. That's not a :smug: , that's what happened.

Eh, given that the invasion came at the invitation of prominent English parliamentarians and led to the Stadtholder upping sticks and moving to London, and treaties which subordinated the Dutch fleet to the English one regardless of rank in the event of any allied joint actions, I'm not sure you could say that the Glorious Revolution subordinated England to the Netherlands, indeed you might even say it ended up the other way around in the long run.. And it wasn't really that the Dutch invaded and made themselves (plural) rulers, the Dutch invaded and the English parliament made a Dutch guy king (and only alongside his English wife, and even then only because the Dutch guy with the army was threatening to go home and it was the only way to stop him from leaving), but in the process true rulership of the country passed from the Monarch to Parliament at this point, which was mostly crewed by folks from England, though a small number of the King's Dutch friends got English peerages.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Torrannor posted:

To be fair, it's history knowledge to make the connection between Iran and Persia, not geography.

It's geography knowledge to make the connection between Iran and the Gulf of Persia, though. I wouldn't expect your average person to know that, and I'm sad to say I wouldn't expect people running for the highest office in their country to know that, but I think we should be able to expect that when a person is running to be the head of a nation which recently fought a war in said Gulf, and when that person states that they consider Iran to be the biggest threat to the country's foreign policy, that they should at least have done some sort of learning of the geography of the area in which both are located.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Frostwerks posted:

Coal powered.

:psyduck: Wait, does that mean that at some point in the past, the Fan Death thing actually made sense? If you were burning low quality coal in an area with poor ventilation, would leaving a fan on overnight increase the circulation in the air such as to make carbon monoxide poisoning more likely?

I mean, I'd heard of the Fan Death superstition before, but I've never heard an explanation of why it might have at some point in the past have had some actual validity.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Grand Fromage posted:

You missed the joke.

No, I got that he was being facetious, I was just wondering if the electric fans were around at the same time as those coal heaters you mentioned, and given that the Korean superstition around keeping windows open originates in carbon monoxide poisoning, could the fan death thing have come from the same place, an actual real danger which fell away to be left with an old wives tale? And now nobody remembers the carbon monoxide thing or the coal fires, so bullshit reasons have to be made up for why it is still real?

I figure that sort of hinges on whether having a fan in a room with an elevated carbon monoxide level and poor ventilation, but it'd be very interesting if it did.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ComradeCosmobot posted:

^^^^ Then the Eritrean thing makes even less sense unless people have a hard-on for spreading democracy to a repressive state that lacks oil ^^^^

I don't think this is intended as a map of how the author thinks things should be, but instead as a prediction of how things might end up in a few decades if the stability in the Middle East continues to break down. I presume in such a situation the map's creator thinks Ethiopia is going to have another go at getting a coastline.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Kurtofan posted:

The Gun is Good.

Edit: interestingly, America has a lower violent crimes than most of Europe.

Only North Korea beats America in terms of Prison population.

Regards violent crimes, it's worth bearing in mind that different countries' violent crime statistics are not always directly comparable because each country defines "violent crime" in a different way. In America, a "violent crime" as defined in their statistics is a murder, non-negligent manslaughter, rape, robbery, or aggravated assault. In the UK for example, "violent crime" is essentially any crime with a force component, including all assaults both standard and sexual, such that, say, shoving a person, or groping someone would be a violent crime here where it is not in the US.

I'm not sure if that holds true for the rest of Europe, but I'd hazard a guess that EU countries would have generally similar definitions of such things.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

You basically have to go off of car shapes, license plate styles and approximately how Soviet-looking any power lines or factories seem.

My top tip for Geoguessr would be to learn which countries drive on the left side of the road. Austrialia, South Africa and the American southwest can all look pretty similar in places, but as soon as you see another car you can at least tell if you're in a commonwealth country or not.

Another good thing to learn is which languages use which extra letters, to help you differentiate, say, Denmark and Germany from the road signs. Learning state flags of large countries like the US, Australia and Canada is also very helpful if you get plonked down in a suburb or small town.

My general strategy went:
1) Travel down the road until you can determine what country you are in from road signs
2) Find a nearby major road with an official number
3) Meticulously scan the entire map of that country looking for the road that has that number, bearing in mind that minor major roads may not show up on medium zoom levels
4) Work backwards from that road to find your original location.

I realised I had to stop Geoguessing when I spent an entire goddamn hour driving the Great Northern Highway of Western Australia, just so I could get max points for an Australian Outback round.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jerry Cotton posted:

If the houses look slightly more solid than a hut but are extremely boring it's always the USA.

e: Basically every house in rural US looks like an SA mod built it.

I'm not sure if it's exaggerated by selective reporting or not, but I seem to notice that whenever some major weather disaster such as a hurricane or tornado or massive forest fire hits the US, most of the houses seem to be made out of wood panelling and drywall with viturally no bricks at all. Now I know that American cities themselves aren't built like that, but is that sort of construction normal for your big suburbs?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

OddObserver posted:

Yes, wood frame construction is the standard, including even some of the smaller residential buildings in cities.

I know this will sound snarky, but it's an honest question: do American kids get told the story of the Three Little Pigs?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

computer parts posted:

There's a reason why the trope "Force of Nature" is about just surviving an event, not resisting it.

Wood is actually better in certain circumstances because it can bend (you may know the story the Oak and the Reeds).

Like I said, I did not intend the question in a snarky way, I was more wondering if the fact that the story doesn't hold true in America affects whether it gets told, or if it is told in a different way. I mean, the message I take away from the story of the Three Little Pigs is "Never live in a house not made of bricks", which works fine for where I live, where literally every house is made of bricks, a hurricane is a once-in-a-lifetime event, and some houses in the city have been there over 500 years.

Whereas "brick houses make you immune to wind" might not be the best advice in a place where the wind picks up cars once a year.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Basil Hayden posted:

I was never taught that you were supposed to take that story literally. :raise: I think the intended moral of the version I heard as a kid was something like "don't be a lazy poo poo".

Well, it's true that even here we don't sit our kids down and tell them the fairy tale of the Three Little Pigs and the Local Authority's Planning Permission Board*, but the story definitely reinforces from a young age that the only safe house is a brick house. It's not entirely uncommon here to hear flippant comments passed after a major weather event in the US that Americans are dumb for building their houses out of sticks, ill-informed though the comment may be. I'd assume that the fairy tale has a part to play in that, given that it's the metaphor I often hear people reach for when they want to do the "dumb americans" thing on this topic in particular.

--

*For some reason in an insomnia-feulled haze I have written this at 4am:

The Three Little Pigs and the Local Authority's Planning Permission Board

The First Little Pig was a Roma who lived in a caravan along with some other Roma Pigs. The Pig bought a plot of land and built a small park in which people could park their caravans, and did not apply for planning permission as at the time the land was considered mixed use, which meant that the buildings on the site could exist unchallenged, as had been the case for all previous owners of the property in the decades before. Thirty years later in a rising tide of anti-Roma racism, despite the First Little Pig owning the site and maintaining it properly, the council decided to reclassify the land as Green Belt, inflicting a much higher standard on the building rules on the land, directly impacting on many families who had lived their entire lives with their homes on that land. Desperate to avoid eviction, the First Little Pig applied for retroactive planning permission on the grounds that the camp had been there for decades since an era where planning permission was extremely loosely enforced and previous legal complaints had established the rights of some of the families to use the land for residence. However, the Local Authority's Planning Permission Board came along and blew the caravans down because they refused to grant retroactive planning permission to a Roma Pig.

The Second Little Pig was not a Roma, he had a house and wished to build a small extension to his property to accomodate his aging grandmother, who would not be able to use the stairs to go to the toilet. He was a conciencious citizen who endeavored to do everything according to the rules laid down by the elected people of the Council. However, due to the paperwork involved in approving such a request, the Local Authority's Planning Permission Board came along and blew the paperwork back in the Second Little Pig's face, refusing his request, leaving him only with the options of sending his grandmother to a home for the elderly, or paying a lawyer to appeal the case and spend years battling the Local Authority's Planning Permission Board in the courts. Being unable to afford the legal fees, the Second Pig, too, was defeated by the Local Authority's Planning Permission Board.

The Third Little Pig was not a Roma or a private citizen, but was the owner of a local property development firm. He wished to make additional money from the land he owned, but it was primarily made up of small semi-detached properties designed for medium-sized families. Wishing to maximise his revenue, he began the process of splitting up the properties, adding additional entrances and blocking off internal staircases to convert these properties into ersatz flats with upper and lower individual properties. However, the Third Little Pig knew of the troubles of the First and Second Little Pigs, and hatched a plan to defeat the Local Authority's Planning Permission Board. He did not apply for planning permission because he knew if he did so his request would be rejected. Instead he simply went ahead and did the work, and eventually people complained. When the Local Authority's Planning Permission Board came along and threatened to blow down his houses, he applied for retroactive planning permission, as the First Little Pig did. However, because the Third Little Pig was not a Roma Pig, he received retroactive planning permission, as 90% of all non-Roma pigs' applications get approved provided they are received retroactively, and he received the go-ahead to keep the adjustments to his properties, much to the consternation of his neighbours.

And so the Third Little Pig lived happily ever after, while the First Little Pig was made homeless and the Second Little Pig had to send his grandmother to a care home as he could not provide the care she needed in his own home.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bloodnose posted:

See I thought that too, but then I figured the irradiated nuclear guy must be Belarus in reference to getting all the fallout from Chernobyl and cuddling up to Ukraine girl.

The radioactive guy is Ukraine, I'm sure, he's wearing blue and gold, the colours of Ukraine. The girl is Moldova, who is arm in arm with Romania because she is a historic part of Romania, but has a large Ukrainian ethnic minority.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

vintagepurple posted:

Venezuela is happier than Germany, Italy, Korea, and Japan. Mexico is happier than the US.

I'm not particularly knowedgeable about statistics, but doesn't the line on your graph depict a correlation between increase in GDP per capita and the percentage of people who are very happy? There are obviously points far outside that line, especially the Latin American nations, but I'm not sure how pointing these out shows that your graph is one which does not refute the idea that there is no correlation between wealth and happiness. That there are outliers to me would only suggest that there are many other factors which impact on happiness, which seems so obvious as to be trivial. If I'm reading your graph wrong, can you explain it for me? Are you saying this graph does not show that there is a correlation--even a weak one--between GDP per capita and happiness? If so, what does the line on the graph represent?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Kainser posted:

Maps like this make me realize how small and cramped Gaza really is.

No kidding. I've walked the width of the gaza strip coming home from the pub some nights. I had really no conceptualisation of quite how small it was until seeing that map.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Otherwise reasonable? Not to bring the I/P thread into this one, but what constitutes a "reasonable" buffer zone around a walled ghetto?

Otherwise reasonable sounding, don't cut up what people say to make it say something else.If you know next to nothing about the I/P conflict other than what you see on TV news, and if you live in a absolutely massive country like, say, the United States, then if they say on the news that Israel has imposed a "3km buffer zone" around Gaza, that's going to sound like a tiny area, and you will be given the impression that such a measure might be a reasonable security precaution and a respectably minimal level of action, when in fact it is essentially a straight up invasion of half of the territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Phlegmish posted:

They sound kind of like assholes. Don't knock civilization until you've tried it.

Well, the neighbouring islands have a population of about 350,000 of which only 1000 are natives, so I think they can be forgiven for thinking that "civilization" means "colonists taking your land and killing you".