Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Riso posted:

http://www.overcriminalized.com/CaseStudy/McNab-Imprison-by-Foreign-Laws.aspx

"The Supreme Court is currently considering whether to take the case of four businesspeople sent to prison for importing lobster tails from Honduras. Their convictions are predicated on supposed violations of the Lacey Act, which makes it a crime to import “fish or wildlife taken … in violation of any foreign law.” Here, the foreign laws are Honduran fishing regulations that have been declared null and void in Honduras, but are somehow still being enforced by American federal courts."

That looks more like a two-nation attempt at CITES or something, not really that reprehensible. But wasn't Noriega convicted under US law despite never having been a US citizen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

QCIC posted:

This is kind of misleading because the name of the South African state and its current territory wouldn't be anything other than "The Republic of South Africa", although traditional names for tribal lands may have fallen out of use.

Yes, but those tribal lands are different to South Africa, in much the same way that the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms are different to the UK. For what it's worth, the only traditional name in use at the moment is, I think, kwaZulu, in the name of the province kwaZulu-Natal. But implying that kwaZulu included Cape Town is silly.

I think the map's point is that if you ask a South African which country they come from, you'll probably get the reply "South Africa".

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

What on Earth's up with South Africa there? It can't just be Johannesberg given what Cape Town looks like, and anyway it looks a bit too far east.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

International river basins:

Why are there no rivers in China?

E: vv:doh:... Thanks.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 18, 2013

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Schizotek posted:

If you expanded this city to cover the whole world 40k style it'd be almost exactly one quadrillion people, considerably larger than the numbers most scifi writers use for their world spanning cities. Star Wars Coruscant has a population of a trillion, for example. 40k itself, with cities the size of continents that extend hundreds of miles into the sky caps out at a few hundred billion. Scifi writers have always lacked a proper sense of scale.

And then everybody would starve from the lack of farmland, yes.

Stand on Zanzibar (1968) predicted that in 2010 there would be 7 billion people in the world, and if they could all stand next to each other, they'd fill Zanzibar. The end of the novel is an image of more and more people gradually being edged into the ocean.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Zhuyin isn't a writing system, it's a pronunciation guide like pinyin. And does Hokkaido only use katakana, or is the outlining just really thick?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I had no idea the Ainu language was still about, thanks.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

Dotted lines seem to be "under construction" or planned:

I don't know why these maps shows Taiwan as part of China, but it has an HSR going down the west coast.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uh, unimaginative? It's street names and neighborhood names, the same as most transit systems use. What, are they supposed to be completely unrelated to the location?

You can do better than street names though. Name them after local landmarks or areas, so people know that if they want to go to St Paul's they need to go to the station called St Paul's, or whatever. Or a sixteenth-century pub or something.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 10, 2014

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Uh, because there is only one China, and Taiwan is a part of China. Duh.

And to bring this back to the politically-loaded theme: see also the superfluous Diaoyu Island callout

I feel they missed a chance to put "planned" railway/HSR lines on the Senakakus, I mean Diaoyus. Speaking of China:

Nintendo Kid posted:

But they are named after local landmarks when there's a local landmark to name after? Did you even look at the map? Or more so, have you ever been to New York?

Ah, New York, the city where a road is a landmark if it has a name rather than a number, or letter. A place where nothing has ever been built or happened. I have been wise not to go there.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Nine One One Is A Joke :colbert:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

When I saw Mongolia and South Africa I thought it was going to be barbecue.

Gabon seems to have something going on too.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Soviet Commubot posted:

I like that there are about as many native Spanish speakers in the US as there are in Spain. Also, isn't it kinda cheating to list all of that under "Chinese"?

Not "kind of", definitely. The chart even calls it a "macrolanguage" that "includes other languages". Mandarin still has 848 million, more than twice as many as English. And Wu and Cantonese would still get on the chart anyway.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Disco Infiva posted:

Hello steinrokkan, please meet my best friend Kulen.

If this is your best friend, I'd hate to see what you did to your worst enemy.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

It seems to be a point of pride with some native Chinese speakers that their language is harder (once you factor in the writing system etc.) than most others.

http://pinyin.info/readings/texts/moser.html

Why should you take their word for it, though? Also, that articles's full of rubbish.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

What's wrong with it, cos I was not expecting to hear "it's too American" so much as "it's too parrot learning".

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Like most things in Korea, it's about the appearance rather than the content. The goal is for students to seem like they're learning, and to memorize enough material that they can pass the standardized English test. The test is famously terrible and much of it is esoteric nonsense that has no connection to how people speak, and even native English speakers often don't get what the gently caress the questions are asking. Actually understanding anything or being able to communicate is never involved in the process. The Korean English teachers often don't understand the language either and can't communicate in it, I met more than a few in that category. The whole thing is to learn to pretend that you speak English without ever actually learning to speak it.

I don't know what he means about the American ESL thing either. I "taught" English in Korea for years but I never did ESL in the US so I have no reference for that.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was expecting, but worse.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

For comparison: "Percentages of people in European countries who said in 2010 that they "believe there is a God" "

It's politically loaded because there is no "No data" for grey, therefore those unshaded countries aren't European.

What's going on in the Czech Republic? Was Left Behind right after all? :ohdear:

Serious guess: the Church wasn't very active in opposing Communism there, maybe?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Red = red, brown = dead.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

This is a very idealistic view of constitutional monarchies as monarchs are still human beings with opinions and ambitions no matter what is theoretically supposed to be off-limits. Said opinions also tend to be terrible. For example, in 1990 King Baudouin of Belgium refused to sign a new law on abortion, so that he actually had to temporarily abdicate for the law to pass. I do not feel represented by these people and would much rather not have a head of state at all.

Pathetic, if he doesn't want to do his job he should quit like anyone else.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

fermun posted:

Rehosted:

United States Mexerica? Now that's loaded.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

SoggyBobcat posted:

Didn't the KMT renounce their claims on Mongolia? I'm pretty sure I remember that being a thing somewhat recently.

Can't remember, but I was pretty susrprised to hear a friend tell me Mongolia was a part of Taiwan.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Pakled posted:

A politically-loaded map with a politically-loaded color scheme.

I like how the countries with the lowest rates (Ireland, Northern Ireland, Poland, Portugal, maybe others) aren't divided up into regions. They're probably not actually accurate, but how the hell does Russia have an abortion rate of over 50%?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

showbiz_liz posted:

The most common form of birth control in China is IUDs, followed by sterilization. Here's some stats.

That's a lot of female sterilisation, even in the US. And roughly equal numbers of men getting vasectomies and using condoms? Those numbers seem really weird.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

I couldn't find a single instance of a fatality in the green "Other" category. What sort of thing would that be, anyway? Skydivers who came down over a highway and got hit by a truck before they landed and technically became pedestrians?

Motorcyclists? The mapmaker wanted an "other" just in case, and then didn't use it? You looked past all the green ones?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Pakistan: part of the Middle East, or possibly North Africa. Seriously, what's going on with the random other countries. Especially Portugal.

fishmech posted:

School attendance doesn't guarantee that they know how to read. Dumb people still exist.

Hi fishmech.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

The Heihe–Tengchong Line, an imaginary line that divides China into two (more or less) equal area parts. The Western side has ~57% of the area, but 6% of the population. The Eastern side has 43% of the area but 94% of the population. The population ratio has been relatively unchanged since the 1930s.

Politically loaded because it includes Taiwan in China.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

Taiwan has cities named Taipei, Taitung, Tainan and Taichung which translates as North, East, South and Central Taiwan respectively. They've always annoyed me for being a) very generic names for cities and b) not having a West Taiwan.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Well, that's one less thing to be irrationally irritated in my life.

Relax, I've got you covered. There's Beijing and Nanjing on the mainland, and Tokyo is read as Dongjing, but there's no such place as Xijing.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Wessex, Sussex, Essex, Middlesex but nae Nossex

There's Nossex anywhere you look on SomethingAwful.com.

mcustic posted:

Colonialism.jpg

This doesn't really look like colonialism.jpg to me, more like Americas vs Europe/Asia/most of Africa, and some other countries on the side.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

:f5:
Fascinating post, thank you. I'm looking forwards to the next!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Found on facebook with no source:

Pretty sure Wang and Chen should both be Li. I suppose Saudi Arabia's due to slave labour :smith: And congratulations to the Quebeçois independence movement!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

cebrail posted:

At some point they should just make up a decent name for their country.

This is still wrong because it forgets that parts of England, Wales, and Scotland aren't on Great Britain. There should be another layer of little red islands inside the relevant ellipses.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

He says all this and he doesn't know that in the original, authentic Japanese Neon Genesis Evangelion, Asuka only rarely speaks German. Filthy casual dub-watcher.
:goonsay:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Antti posted:

Is it at all possible it's a composition of Roman-era maps of coastlines? So Cyprus looks like the Romans had Cyprus down on their maps? Because that's the only way that map can be salvaged.

It's too accurate for that, and it can't be due to the coastlines because of the Essex coast (also little things like the Caspian Sea being myseriously absent.) I just noticed the map squares are wrong, too. It keeps on giving.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

I guess I need to see the question/methodology for that map. It's so weird. How is Bosnia a higher proportion than famously nationalist Serbia? Why are so few Brits down to fight for king and country? I wonder what America would look like with this question. I'm not a hardcore nationalist but my instinct would be to answer yes to that question because it does give me a sense of "we've been attacked and need to defend ourselves" rather than "poor people on another continent need killing."

I wonder why :shrug:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

It's a kappa rotated 90°.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

You need the rims to stop the atmosphere from falling out, so Ringworld needs 'em too. A detail in the original novel, iirc, unlike the attitude boosters cough cough.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Greeks are Slavs in denial

No, that's Egyptians.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

yaffle posted:

I'd like to order this for our library, do you know if it's in print under another name?

It looks a lot like the Times Atlas of World History, which definitely is in print. It might even be an updated edition.

Guavanaut posted:

Is that why East Anglia hates Europe too?

No they're just too stupid not to.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Aww, Louisiana's a bunny rabbit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Average number of floors the joke goes over your head?