Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

fishmech posted:

Literally nowhere, not a single ZIP code area registered a plurality for the Mets.

Wait, really? Not even Queens? I'm more alone then ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

New yorks tyle Apizza

e: huh, that's new haven style apizza. Very strange

It's a real and specific and good thing. The 'famous' one is apparently white clam, but I've not had that particular variety yet.

Though, New Haven also apparently invented the hamburger so that could be there instead of apizza.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Lycus posted:

Okay, how do you say "apizza". Is it just "uh-PEE-za" or is it more something weird like AH-pi-za"?

"AH-peets" or "UH-peets" apparently.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Grape posted:

lol at living in some sterile piss-warm hellscape that doesn't have a strong showing of all four seasons

Death to the sun belt.

Amen. I never got the "wah it gets cold sometimes" whining.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Randarkman posted:

How cold does Minnesota and the American Mid-West get in winter? I'm from Norway and a couple of years ago I spent time in Saskatchewan in Canada, and I was quite literally shocked at how cold it got during the winter, which lasted for something like half a year it seemed.

Gulf Stream and proximitiy to oceans in general make a hell of a difference it seems.

Answer above this for the midwest. I live in New England though. The average high temperature for me in the coldest month (January) is just above freezing. We get basically three months of each season's weather.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Grape posted:

I love living in rl Click Clock Woods.

You're a CTgoon, too. I was replying to the Norwegian fellow.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Peanut President posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/24/upshot/facebook-baseball-map.html

There's the source, it's from 2014 so that explains some oddities (like the Astros being so small)

edit: areas where it's pink or grey that don't have their own teams almost always the Red Sox and Yankees, respectively.

edit 2:

:popeye:

The Mets are a thing. You take this back.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Well good on Germany.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

As opposed to identical featureless single-family suburban homes?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The northeastern US state I live in was like 80% deforested in 1900 and is now over 90% forest.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Grape posted:

Where did you find that map, because that seems heavily suspect in lots of ways. Did the HDI people release this?

:cripes:

Is it just the economic activity? Or also the pay that follows people home.
CT being so enormously high in the second map doesn't seem explainable by just what we have here. There is HUGE wealth in the state, but lots of it comes from people who go to work in NYC. So their activity is over state borders... otherwise I don't get how we can be so absurdly high.

We're surrounded by hedge funds in Fairfield County and insurance and military industrial complex in Hartford County. There's non-NYC wealth, too.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

So, I was given this book as a gift recently and I heartily recommend it to this thread.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Looking at the lines in Connecticut, I know a bunch of them are state-owned rails that get used by freight and passenger railroads like Metro North or the Housatonic.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Grape posted:

Why yes. It tells the familiar story of likewise moronic Americans who don't understand population density on voting maps.

I look at that map or the US voting maps and my first reaction is always: "Oh! It's a map of places that don't suck to live in! Got it!"

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

HookShot posted:

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind Thailand not ever being under the power of any colonialist powers.

They were remarkably good at diplomacy.

And had a flag which made them a real country you couldn't imperialize.

I didn't make the rules, the Brits did.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Grape posted:

lol just lol at having county government

Yes, who wants coordinating bodies.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Koramei posted:

Also lumping in Central and East Africa (and yet Madagascar gets its own zone?) and China and Korea. I can at least appreciate the Library of Congress' blatant embracement of Eurocentrism; Dewey Decimal's veneer of actual care just makes its backward stuff worse.

I think there's just more published in English about those countries.

I use the LOC system at home and it's great.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Connecticut apparently hates no pot?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Manhattan is better. Fight me.

And it's not just a tomato. It's a tomato base with a different mix of vegetables.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Saladman posted:

Do you eat pineapple on your pizza too, you god drat monster?

And when you eat that pineapple pizza, do you eat it with a fork and knife?

(And yeah, I agree with luxury handset. Calling Manhattan clam chowder "chowder" is misleading and I would literally send it back in a restaurant if it had "clam chowder" listed and came with tomato, unless it was specified)

No pineapple or forks.

I like both; I prefer Manhattan. It seems year-round to me whereas I tend to associate New England clam chowder with fall.

I can't say I've ever seen it on a menu here in CT without it specifying New England or Manhattan.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I like it.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The correct plural of Texas is Mexico.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The last one I saw (can't find it now) was basically a map of where people were best educated and had the most expensive housing.

Shockingly enough, Fairfield County was at like 35%.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

We also get New Rochelle and Port Chester.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

At least raisins are good.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I think they're suggesting--badly--that the pivot point in the Balkans was whether or not you backed Serbia or Bulgaria.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Which is idiotic because the flashpoint was between Serbia and Austria.

For the First World War, yes. But they're depicting the alliance wrangling from the late 19th century and after the Balkan wars.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

If it's meant to reflect the Balkan wars, it makes the union of Bulgaria and Serbia even more tenuous.

There's clearly a line between them showing they're not friends :colbert:

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Consubstantial, yet expressed as a multitude of Balkanness.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Honest question for my fellow Connecti-goons - have any of you ever actually used "Connecticuter," or even heard it be used before? It was only about two months ago that I looked up the same questions and learned this is what we are supposed to be called, and I have lived here most of my life.

Nope.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

escapegoat posted:

:britain::britain:

Ptolemy-2nd Century CE :hist101:

I like the confetti explosion in the top right corner.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

At least Connecticut doesn't hate itself. That's what I would have guessed.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Mine has grapes. We are well known for our grapes.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'm the best solution to Florida.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

As far as dubious food maps go, I liked this one

Clam pizza is amazing you shut your mouth map.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

New Haven is the right choice for Connecticut at least.

Not sure how Ithaca beats NYC.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Every time I've driven through North Carolina, I've encountered signs telling me I've passed into a new county. Each of these signs has some variation of "XYZ County, the best X in the country!". A truly humble land.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

"Unsiran Narodou" is a nice touch.

So Russia was settled by pirates and then fought a continent-spanning war?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Long Chile is the kind of thing you make when you're trying to be an rear end in a top hat in a multi-player Civ game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Grape posted:

Very debatable. Like yeah half of Jersey has a stronger pull toward Philly, but northern Jersey is far more NYC oriented than any part of CT could ever imagine.

Bro, do you even Fairfield County?

Honestly, what I usually see is Fairfield and Litchfield part of the NY metro, New Haven basically floating on its own, and the rest oriented towards New England as a whole.