Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Barudak posted:

A dude in my global company who is not in America or American himself used it untranslated to request reports from other countries who are not America or have staff that are American and it was a definite "American culture really has slimed its way into the crevices of the world" moment for me.

Very off-topic, but I was talking to a friend of mine and told her I was going to see The Banshees of Inisherin. She scoffed at it being a "foreign movie". We're in Israel, and yes she meant "non-American".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

By giving your kids bland food you will ensure they will have an undiscerning palate thus giving them a leg up in life.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

If we wanted to read we'd go to the politically-loaded texts thread

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

BonHair posted:

If she wasn't a fascist, she'd be a pretty powerful poster it seems. Seriously, did no one campaign on not being a huge loving nerd?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for a good prime minister to quote Star Trek or Dune or something, but I didn't think the majority would actually vote for someone like that.

Have you missed Herman Cain quoting Pokemon?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

i say swears online posted:

that's honestly the smallest Greater Israel map i've ever seen

Just for some context, this map is from some inlay of a bible, detailing exaggerated borders of an already exaggerated and semi imaginary ancient United Kingdom of Israel (and judea).

At the same time it also has these weird half circles inside the Israeli territory of other peoples (e.g. Adomites) and I have no idea what's going on with that.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

BonHair posted:

Weird to include Sinai in that, since that's very explicitly outside the promised land

The title is "Settlements/journies of the twelve tribes", so maybe it's trying to say that's where they generally spent time?
I don't know, the quote they seem to base it on (top right) mentions the dead sea as an eastern border which doesn't fit the map either. Yet there's a big "Eretz Israel" over the whole white territory.

I tried reading about it a bit but it pissed me off so I stopped.

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 29, 2023

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i actually until today believed what id been told about there being another group of humans living there before that that were displaced/killed by the maori and i just looked it up and its p much totally discredited by serious archaeology and anthropology and has mostly just been floated as a racist white talking point longer than ive been alive so lol at me

Maybe you got your story mixed up with the Chatham Islands, where Maori started settling in around 1500 and became the Moriori people, only to get colonized later by New Zealand Maori with guns.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

The cat like all cat knows that nation states are made up and no land belongs to anybody.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I probably walk more than 30 minutes a day if I total everything up (and I can see that in Google Fit) but if I were asked about it I'd probably say something like 20 at most because that's my work commute (5 minutes to/from the metro).
People aren't going to count every time they went down to the shops for five minutes to get milk or when they went to the toilet. So it depends on how the question is phrased or how the data is gathered.

Google has great data if you turn on the "I don't believe in privacy setting". Obviously my habits vary widely by season, and that drive was all in one day - don't shoot me.

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 15, 2023

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

As someone who speaks English, Hebrew and Japanese and now intensely learning French I still don't see the use for more than three tenses. loving gatekeeping is what it is.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

How is "British & Irish" one genetic category?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I made this for no reason whatsoever

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Ridiculous. I did a sick kickflip in the seventh grade way outside that area.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I'm no geologist but by golly I won't let you call sand a rock.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Soon the American dream of a house with a yard and a picket fence in downtown manhatten will finally be fulfilled.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I feel like Midwife being the least childless is definitely.. something.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

"Medina" (city) is already an existing city name.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I don't know what Kroger is but I'm guessing they sell hogs?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

unofficially official

I think you'll find it's officially unofficial.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Youse clearly haven't been to Glasgow

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

VictualSquid posted:

So, apropos microstates.

I just noticed this image again. First day of the week.
And what is up with the Maldives?

I'm sorry, is this map saying that the week starts on Sunday in North America, Japan, etc?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

DTurtle posted:

Yes.

Legend is:
Orange: Monday
Pink: Friday
Green: Saturday
Blue: Sunday

Well, the more you know.

So American calendars look like this:

S M T W T F S?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Another question: if you're American, and it's currently Sunday and you want to talk about something that's on Tuesday in two day, would you say it's "next week"?

Excuse my disbelief, I just had to change calendar systems once and it shaked me to my very core.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

In the bible/Hebrew, days of the week are simply numbered. Sunday is "First Day" etc.

Anyway I'm starting a new fitness regime and want to work out every other day and

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Meanwhile, in Hawaii..

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

This is based on what exactly, some kid on his gap year's travel journal?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Aside from the whole "who is Egyptian" nonsense, that map isn't what Egypt as an entity looked like for most of its history, isn't it? Much narrower and longer would be the average, I'd say.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Well, there are only, like, five of them.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

What is the definition of “speaking and reading proficiency"?

I moved to France and know a lot of Americans and non Americans and I can tell you for certain the proficiency is quite low even after 24 weeks of studying. Unless this is like all day every day studying, but even then I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I don't know what the actual laws here in Francenbut plenty of supermarkets are open on Sunday around me, and not just for "six hours".