Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Red_Mage posted:

9 Nations is nice, but a little out of date for various reasons. Anyhow it'd be nice to have Idaho as a buffer state, on the offchance that the Midwestern States of America get all hawkish, or if Deseret receives word from God that they need to retake the north as well as push toward the Garden of Eden (Jackson County, MO). Don't really enforce anything on Idaho, but let the other nations break on angry isolationist compounds full of impotent neonazis who've been preparing their whole lives for this.

The Empty Quarter would literally be a petro-state down to having a crazy fundy dictator.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
There's no reason a mercator projection needs to use the conventional north-south earth axis.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 9, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Did any European cities (or countries) have the same sort of housing discrimination/white flight cycle that caused the hyper-seggregation of the big northern cities in the US?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What if, like, a bunch of time traveling South African racists went back and armed the Zulus with AK47s.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

BIG HORNY COW posted:

The proposed Bering Sea Tunnel will go through the Diomedes. Russia has approved the money, but they themselves still need a thousand miles of rail on their side to connect the strait to Yakutsk.

A huge railroad project here in Alaska would be great. It would create tons of jobs and make getting goods to remote places like Nome about a billion times easier. A rail link from the US to Asia would be pretty revolutionary, plus getting on a train in Anchorage and riding it all the way to London would be awesome.

Has anyone Lyndon LaRouche proposed this?

Edit: "The Most Important Stategic Question Today" :lol:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

BIG HORNY COW posted:

I guess the real endgame would be linking in with the Chinese rail system. I imagine shipping goods via freight train from China to the US would be a lot more cost effective on the whole opposed to container ships and aircraft.

The idea of Nome as the railway entry to the US and some sort of bustling transport hub is pretty funny, though.

Edit: on this end, a rail line to Nome from Anchorage would completely change life for people who live in the bush / native villages. It's pretty much up to Cessnas and Supercubs to get anything in and out of those places.

There was a crisis out there last winter where the sea ice froze in a fuel ship headed to Nome and a Russian icebreaker had to come to the rescue http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/us/icebreaker-slowly-carves-path-for-tanker-to-bring-emergency-fuel-to-alaska.html?_r=0

Shipping by ocean is already more efficient per mile*ton than freight train not to mention the distance and infrastructure savings.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

twoday posted:

Ok, here is a scraping of maps from my hard drive:

I like the 'Japanese invasions of the west coast' fantasy on the backdrop of the fact that the Japanese didn't have nearly the logistical capability to invade Oahu alone.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Russell William Thorpe posted:

Is it me or is this map... horseshit? China was the most welcoming place I've ever been. I think the key may be that they asked people how welcoming they'd be. Chinese people like to get fired up with *talk* about how nationalistic they are. This breaks down completely at the individual level- like how there are still gun shows in Blue states and gay bars in Red states etc. Like whenever there's some anti-Japanese thing in the news, in China there are anti-Japanese protests and the sushi restaurants put up big Chinese flags... but are still open for business because guess what, Chinese people will still gladly enjoy Japanese food.

Did you go to the parts of China that are closed to foreigners without the government's approval?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ardennes posted:

The Willis tower's brutalism isn't good enough for you. :(

The Sears Tower is International Style.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

That must be some kind of record for claimed:controlled territory ratio.

Well if we're talking about a ratio, there are plenty of people who claim nonzero and control zero.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

twoot posted:

Economist map showing UK constituencies as equal size to better depict the geographical party split which isn't visible on regular party mapping.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/04/mapping-britain

I'm amazed that someone finally figured out how to make a population representative map that didn't look like a malignant tumor. Also why does the map leave off the northern Irish?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The Monkey Man posted:

A map showing penetration of West German TV signals into East Germany.

Did off the shelf East German TVs pick up West German broadcasts?

Edit: Besides Radio Free Europe type broadcasts specifically for Eastern audiences.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Peanut President posted:

A political map where america is one of the good guys. :monocle:

A political map that shows Americans can identify a taboo response to a question and answer it differently despite their prejudices.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

a bad enough dude posted:

I honestly don't buy that map. I live in Austin and the only real threats are tornadoes, and they're not especially bad around here. I'm from Houston and yeah, flooding and hurricanes are a real problem, but honestly a big quake in California seems like it could do a lot more damage.

It seems like they rate tornadoes ten times worse than all other disasters, which is weird because they're really no at all.

Every day all summer is a disaster in Texas.

Edit: http://www.prb.org/Articles/2011/disasters-by-type.aspx

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 7, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Play posted:

Suburbians not being able to refill their swimming pools and having their golf courses turn a little browned is not exactly dangerous. I think droughts are mainly dangerous in that they can lead to wildfires, which I'm actually surprised would not be included in these metrics. Wildfires can be legitimately dangerous.

Living in coastal California I can see how by those metrics it would seem pretty safe but earthquakes and frequent wildfires are nothing to sneeze at, although the chances of dying in them are quite low.

In that link someone posted ( http://www.prb.org/Articles/2011/disasters-by-type.aspx ) I was somewhat surprised that lightning makes up over ten percent of deaths by disaster. I guess its not that surprising the pacific coast is rated so safe because in general it has little to none of the first six things on that list.

I think earthquakes and wildfires still kill a lot fewer people than heat waves and tornados.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Countries in Europe not covered in heavy fog.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

computer parts posted:

I'm assuming monarchs don't count or else the UK would be purple.

Why is China pink then?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Song Qingling for about served as an acting head of state a few times.

E;f,b

She was honorary president for 12 days in 1981.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

menino posted:

You mean the country with the preponderance of native speakers of a language creates definitions of words based on it's particular usage? That's shocking. Downright shocking.

But what's this? A member of the Anglophone world hating on the US, apropos of nothing? Real loving shocking. Use determines meaning, and we are the ones doing the using.

Here's a map:

It's always nice when someone throws out a bonafide Mercator projection just to make a map terrible for no reason. Also a whole lot of people (edit: 125 million) speak English in India.

English speakers by density:

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 18, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Why Venezuela?

'Cause bomb their rear end, steal their gas.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

PrinceRandom posted:

What is it about Java that makes it the most populated of the Indonesian Islands? Is it less mountainous or less jungled?

It's always crazy to me that Java has 1.2 times the population of Japan in a third of the size.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The Monkey Man posted:

The US also has some in Hawaii.

Kona is the least equatorial coffee growing area in the world at 19.5° N.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
This map might tell you a few little things about world food production:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

HookShot posted:

There is no $500 clue in Jeopardy :colbert:

There was in the first round before 2001.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Gen. Ripper posted:

Bugs Bunny over Eastern Libya? :confused:

He should have taken an left turn at Albaquarky.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

John Nance Garner posted:

First ballot at the 1920 Republican Nominating Convention:

And the 10th ballot, after shifts, which officially nominated one Warren Gamaliel Harding, for President:

Wyoming was one of the few places onto Harding from the start. Was the Teapot Dome scandal already brewing at this time or was it a way of paying back his friends there.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

HookShot posted:

I can think of like at least four other sports that Norway is better at than hockey and I'm not even Norwegian.

This is (roughly) measuring that Norway is better at hockey relative to other countries than other sports, not that Norway is better at hockey than other sports absolutely.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

So what does a country do to get the name other countries use for it changed. Did the Ivory Coast ask really nicely and people were like "guess we can use the French name"? It seems like kind of a funny anti-colonialist statement post independence.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

neurobasalmedium posted:

I thought Hawaii had been inhabited for quite a while, but then my shirt informed me otherwise.

The Polynesians didn't colonize all of the Hawaiian islands.

I think all of them are currently uninhibited except Midway where about 60 people live today.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Edit: drat America's hat /\

ulvir posted:

So is Canada about 70% barren like Australia? Because it looks like the only active parts of the country is just along the border with USA.

90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the south border.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Well Montpelier is by far the smallest state capitol.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Longitude is a phase and like most things with a phase assigning absolute phase involves setting an arbitrary starting point.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Randandal posted:

Basically, if you plan on farming in the United States, you'd better eventually reach the Gulf of Mexico if you travel due south from your farm.

Except a lot of the farming in the great planes is able to run on borrowed time by unsustainably draining the Ogallala aquifer.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

reagan posted:

A huge area of Minnesota and the eastern Dakotas will face a water shortage, but Las Vegas and Phoenix are going to be just fine? Yeah right.

Vegas isn't marked on the map. I assume you're looking at Reno which probably draws it's water from Lake Tahoe. Phoenix is sitting on another giant aquifer, I guess it might not be ranked as much danger for desertification as other places because it's already sand dunes and tumbleweeds.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

You what's fun? Searching "Greater (country name)" in GIS and seeing what turns up:

Most "greater Turkey" maps I've seen push towards central Asia to integrate a country with the other Turkic peoples.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

That's just literally RedStates.jpg

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

redscare posted:

Except for that minor bit about seceding over slavery and being part of the CSA. It doesn't have that in common with all of those other places.

Texas also seceded from Mexico because of slavery.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Ukraine is strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Why is Humboldt out in central Nevada?