Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Budzilla posted:

This should have been posted in the OP. PNAC redrawing of the ME.

The Dammam territory was give to Saudi Arabia a while ago so the UAE still having that piece looks like a gain to me. Also everyone forgot Arab Shia State
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Any idea on when the British invaded the territory that is currently Saudi Arabia, or Oman? I know for the Arabian Peninsula the states that are currently Qatar, Bahrain and the UAE were considered pirate heavy areas and militarily conquered creating the Trucial Coast states around 1817-1819. Kuwait and Yemen were also created sometime in the late 19th/early 20th century probably not exactly sure when but they saw military action for sure.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Adghanistan, Somalia, Columbia, Cambodia (basically)

But yeah I hate those super distorted maps.

That white blot looks like Sri Lanka, also below egypt Sudan/South Sudan are sort of also exploded, do these count or is it Somalia dragging east africa or something?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Peanut President posted:

It took me a minute to figure out this map was upside down. South is up.

Arabic cartography, all maps had the south pointed up.

Idrisi's map in arabic

Maududi, this image was flipped, but note the arabic is upside down here.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

That's not too bad except for Southern Africa being a separate continent for some reason. When was it made?

This particular map is 20th century, drawn off an older map. I can only guess that they encountered a river and considered it a sea instead, or a huge lake.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

I'm curious about the countries that use Allemagne, and its derivatives (Spanish, Arabic, Turkish, and that part in Russia and Wales :stonk:), french propaganda? Latin left overs? what or why that name convention?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

twoday posted:

It seems like these Ibadi guys really have this geography thing figured out. How is being the only state in the middle east where borders and religious demographics match working out for them?

The Ibadis have the dubious claim of being the first sect in Islam, they are similar to the khawarij in many ways and not an off-shoot, the spots in north africa are actually khawarij but folded into Ibadism recently. Im not sure why its spelled Ibadi since in Arabic its Abadh but i guess its probably to compensate for the lack of the "dh" letter in english.

Their unique characteristics is the rejection of Othman, and Ali as caliphs (edit: eternal damnation for committing a single sin) but pretty indistinguishable from Sunnis generally, their big break is when the interior of oman was finally free from Qarmatian and Sunni domination for centuries, thanks in major part to the Portugese eliminating the last Qarmatian stronghold in Hafit and the defeat of the coastal Sultanate of Oman, the interior imamates made sure everyone was an Abadhite before booting the Portugese out.

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 12, 2013

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

kalstrams posted:

It is very weird despite the fact that Qur'an does not condemn dogs on it's own.

You can keep a dog but not inside your home, the front/backyard is ok generally. People who live in apartments keep their dogs in the balcony :lol: which they should never do, becuase holy gently caress.

Dogs are used in hunting, i dont recall whats the ruling but you have to feed it part of what you hunt. Due to the fact they are considered najis (impure) i have seen cheetahs being used for hunting instead, they are apparently the closest thing to dogs as an alternative.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

sparatuvs posted:

I found this lovely map of ISIL's planned conquests.

This looks like a troll image, the Arabic is written poorly (For example over Iran "Safavid governments, dajjal center"), Kurdistan is its own territory and spelled in the kurdish style (Kordistan). The other territories also lack the "Al" prefix, which sounds wrong in Arabic. For example its spelled Iraq in Arabic, but it doesn't say Al Iraq as it should, same goes for the rest. Also over Egypt is "Kinana Land" Kinana is an old tribal confederation from Hejaz not egypt. Also it ignores the existence of Oman, Al Hasa and other important eastern regions distinct from Hejaz.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Deltasquid posted:

But would it be possible for a radical backwards movement like ISIL to gently caress that up?

Its a really long story, but part of ISIS/ISIL is that they are racists too, and wouldn't want to be caught dead with poorly written maps, unless its not intended for an arabic audience.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Disco Infiva posted:

Love Saudi Britannia and United Baltic Emirates.

Of all the Islamic Emirates, Caliphates and whatnot, Sweden is a Baathist Republic. Whats the story behind that? too many Iraqis or what?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Koesj posted:

IIRC the United Arab Emirates ended 140 as a limit on a *very* select number of roads, but maybe there's some left deep in the desert :shrug:

The Netherlands is a patchwork of differentiated freeway speed limits these days: 130kmh, 120, "100 from 6 to 19h", 100 with section control, 80, variable based on overhead signs - all within the same medium distance trip.

With regards to the UAE officially its 120 on most roads, but they wont fine you for going 140 unless you're close to the city limits where speed camera's are installed and they usually post big signs to tell you to slow down cause its monitored.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Koesj posted:

Works that way in many countries I guess. Also, someone I know was snapped by two consecutive cameras in Sharjah and fined based on calculated average speed, but nowhere does it say you can get hit by it IIRC (this is what we call section control here in the Netherlands).

I got into trouble for this too, the police occassionally hide cameras without warning. Its kinda lovely and you have to be warned by other people or friends, this happens really frequently too once within the city they dont really tell you what speed limits are accepted and instead you know via experience or word of mouth.

Maybe its for fiscal policy reasons because they are trying to keep the money in instead of going out of the country but thats probably a story for another time :v:

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 13, 2014

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

I've never understood why people feel upset if they aren't warned that speed limits will be enforced on a particular section of road.

Not trying to pick on you in particular btw, your post was just the most quote-worthy.

They didn't put warning signs, it happens alot.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Baba Noel is also used in much of the middle east, i really want to know why the french word over the british one?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Vorpal Cat posted:

So is this counting Ibadi as Sunni?

Kinda, practically the same as Sunnis in rituals and practice, the difference is mostly in historical narrative and some beliefs (buck stops at Omar, Uthman and Ali aren't considered righteously guided etc)

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I wonder why the UAE is so much more expensive than the rest of the Arabian peninsula.

Thats because they are importing their healthcare and setting it up for medical tourism, it used to be free, but now you have insurance plans and whatever, citizens have it better, but expats, and laborers are tied to their insurance schemes and tourists pay much more than that, its basically an extension of their tourism strategy i think.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Can someone explain how Omanis, and Qataris go to Palestine? or am i understanding the map wrong? i'm a bit surprised anyone goes there at all.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Pakled posted:

What year is this data for? I'm guessing it's not 2015 because who the gently caress would be moving to Yemen.

The Horn of Africa area is a poo poo hole, pretty big one, so is Yemen, but much like Libya, its a point where smugglers take refugees to wealthier countries. (From yemen to the gulf states, i think even smuggled to europe but not sure on that).

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Their diplomacy was conducted in farsi most of the time but im not sure if there was a change to french around the 19th century, alot of countries who modernized adopted french and sent people to be educated there, this is true for egypt too even after the fact it was more or less a british aligned protectorate after napoleon got booted out.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

I always thought the Celt-Iberians were all over spain, with the Lusitani being a bit more distinct, but this map is throwing me off.

icantfindaname posted:

pre-latin iberia had some celts, but also basques and other weird non-indo-euros who no longer exist

so yeah i guess portugal was celtic, but celtiberians were different than french celts

Whats the differences between all these tribes? is there any reading material on them?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Whats that area where they have no public defecation at all? north of bangladesh/bengal region.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Tree Goat posted:

it's also called "herring in a fur coat" and is covered in mayo and beets and whatnot.

it's bland and has too much mayo in it, but that's a general failing in the russian moral character, nothing to be done about it

This is not really bad, i actually thought its really good when i tried it. I would like to nominate their deep fried cabbage for culinary horror, it was very bland.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Some sort of linguistic/dialect map probably

Bavarian? Looks like it.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Grevling posted:

What a disappointing map.

The words for tank (apart from "tank") in Norwegian, Swedish and Greek mean chariot, and the Icelandic means crawl-dragon. They could have made it so much more interesting, why would anyone make such a bad map?

The Arabic dabbaba is also interesting, it was originally used for a kind of siege equipment which was used to shield sappers from enemy missiles.

You’re gonna be dissapointed. Arabic Dabbaba comes from the root word دبة which literally means tank (or container). Translated literally to english its “Spiked Tank” in this case spiked in arabic means armed.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Count Roland posted:

Because of the war I can recognize Syria now. Egypt I can do.

But gently caress look at this:

Its easy let me explain:

The three color horizontal ones are: Syria (two stars) Egypt (eagle) Iraq (takbir) the blank one is yemen.

The ones with triangles in the side: Jordan (seven sided star) Palestine (no star) Sudan (green triangle) Kuwait (black uh triangle shape) and the one with the star and crecent is the unrecognised sahrawi republic in western sahara.

That weird flag with the vertical bar and horizontal tricolor that looks like the old flag of south africa (veirkleur) is the UAE.

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 5, 2018

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Golbez posted:

* I think some here thought Arabia and North Africa were the same country, but I don't think so - the flag is centered on North Africa. That's one country, and Arabia is a separate one, except for Yemen which is part of North Africa. I think that's how

The weird thing is the part thats not yemen has the yemeni flag, and yemen is part of that north african country.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Saladman posted:

To some extent, but Tunisian Arabic isn't really any closer to Egyptian than it is to Lebanese.

Plus can't you connect a chain of mutual intelligibility through basically any set of dialects? Minus a few that have solidified in more recent years due to borders and state pressure (maybe e.g. Scandinavian and Balkan languages?).

For the Arabic map, it's hard to say how much of that map is realistic and encountered daily, and how much is a dialect color spoken by 6 people on an oasis somewhere while 99% of the people on the ground have converged to some standard regional dialect. My wife is kind of an interesting case anecdote for that as she grew up speaking Magrebi Arabic but did not have any schooling in standard classical Arabic, nor much exposure to Egyptian or Lebanese media, so while she could get around more or less just fine in Morocco, in Jordan and Egypt she couldn't understand anything nor make herself understood, akin to an American with 4 years of high school Spanish trying to get around Mexico with the 6 words they remember but mostly having to use charades. She learned Egyptian Arabic super fast though after moving there but did require a lot of courses and active effort -- it wasn't passive like moving to Australia and "learning" the Australian.

Maltese Arabic is totally ncomprehensible to a speaker of other Arabic dialects**, but not sure about Yemeni/Chadian/Mauritanian/etc. I don't know how true those colors "really" are, but at least the North African blue and the Egyptian/Mediterranean Arabic correspond to personal experience except for "Badawi" spoken on the coast of Egypt; never ever heard anything other than standard Egyptian Arabic in Hurghada or wherever. Also the "Nubi" stretching into Egypt is weird, as that colored part of Egypt is literally 100% uninhabited except for Abu Simbel, where literally everyone speaks Egyptian Arabic. I guess that coloration maybe made sense before Lake Nasser filled up.

**Apparently '40%' from a 2017 research paper, but that seems... high. Maybe 40% of words are comprehensible on their own if said one by one slowly.

This map is mostly accurate i think, there is a few things that are wrong. For example the coast in Iran with the arabic dialect there should be more Iraqi sounding, i've spoken to enough Ahwaz arabs to know most of them have an accent thats similar to the iraqi one. North Mesopotamian is probably kurdish arabic (yeah i realize assyrians are also around in the north of iraq but my anecdotal example is that one assyrian i know had a perfectly fine generic iraqi accent), kurds are also diverse, the syrian kurds would have a more syrian accent, and the iraqi ones a bit more iraqi for example. Also this might sound racist but kurdish arabic sounds very funny to me cause just like kurdish it doesn't have gendered terms.

edit: My experience with Yemeni and Somali is that they should be seperate at least, Yemeni sould be closer to Omani and Dhofari, somalian arabic is a wholly different accent but also more intelligible to me than Yemeni itself.

Bahraini should be for the island of bahrain only, the accent in the mainland near bahrain and qatar should be something called Hasawi, but i guess it'd be politically loaded cause Saudi Arabia likes to pretend they don't exist.

Egypt is also missing the delta accent, egypt is special cause there is two obvious "redneck" groups in the country, the delta fellahin and sai'di people.

One more thing not present in the map is Shihi and Mahri, its kinda like maltese in that alot of the words are very classic old arabic words and also unintelligible to arabic speakers as a whole. (one weird example is Sinaur for cat, in modern arabic its Qit, but Sinaur is probably the ancient greek loanword Silur).

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 29, 2019

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Trabelsi should be a place name, meaning "From Tripoli".

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

my dad posted:

IIRC, the first concept to resemble white supremacist racial theories was actually the result of Arabic scholars twisting themselves into pretzels to morally justify slavery, and it was less of a "these guys (Arabs) good" and more of a "those guys (Black Africans, Slavs, etc) bad". The concept was, like a shitton of other European scholarship, learned from them and combined with local ideas like the Spanish aristocracy's love of paleness to form what would eventually become the racial caste system.

There is an interesting bit about the Congo before the Belgians arrived, but its pretty much accurate the european slavers inherited the structures and network from the Arabs operating in these areas, up to and including allying with the same cannibal tribes to capture black slaves.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There was a slave trade that europeans exacerbated

There was not cannibal tribes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zappo_Zap

I meant these, also i apologize for a wikipedia source, cause i heard these stories from a guy and was pretty lazy and didnt verify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

PawParole posted:

Islam does not descend from Nestorianism. The other connections and relationships are equally vacuous. Twelvers, Zaidis and Ismailis are kinds of Shia, not descendant theological groups from the Shia. Sufism is not a branch of Sunnism, it's a practice within Sunnism. The Ahmaddiya movement claims that the Mahdi returned in the 19th century and follow his teachings, I wouldn't put them as either descendants or subsets of mainstream Sunnism.

Its also missing Ibadis/Abaddis in this chart, its also a major sect.