Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Riso posted:

Don't worry, they register everyone. There's a central database that lists where every person lives too.

It's not really a central database but yeah, because of the "Meldepflicht" pretty much everyone is registered at the municipality they live in.

bronin fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's called a register of residents and lots of countries have it.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Fizzil posted:

With regards to the UAE officially its 120 on most roads, but they wont fine you for going 140 unless you're close to the city limits where speed camera's are installed and they usually post big signs to tell you to slow down cause its monitored.

Works that way in many countries I guess. Also, someone I know was snapped by two consecutive cameras in Sharjah and fined based on calculated average speed, but nowhere does it say you can get hit by it IIRC (this is what we call section control here in the Netherlands).

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Koesj posted:

Works that way in many countries I guess. Also, someone I know was snapped by two consecutive cameras in Sharjah and fined based on calculated average speed, but nowhere does it say you can get hit by it IIRC (this is what we call section control here in the Netherlands).

I got into trouble for this too, the police occassionally hide cameras without warning. Its kinda lovely and you have to be warned by other people or friends, this happens really frequently too once within the city they dont really tell you what speed limits are accepted and instead you know via experience or word of mouth.

Maybe its for fiscal policy reasons because they are trying to keep the money in instead of going out of the country but thats probably a story for another time :v:

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 13, 2014

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Koesj posted:

The Central Value Theorem fucks us over yet again. I think there are U.S. tollroads that also do this (where they compare the time on entering the tollway and leaving and if distance traveled / time taken is too much over the speed limit they fine you).

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Disco Infiva posted:

Meh, boobs are just front butts, so it's all the same to me.

Heads up, some boobs are flying over your head right this moment!

I get jokes me :downs:.

Homicide rates per 1000.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 13, 2014

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Well why do you think they all wanted to move there?

It really demonstrates the population boom of the 20th century that the holocaust resulted in the global Jewish population returning to its level 50 years earlier.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Koesj posted:

I've never understood why people feel upset if they aren't warned that speed limits will be enforced on a particular section of road.

Not trying to pick on you in particular btw, your post was just the most quote-worthy.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

PittTheElder posted:

I've never understood why people feel upset if they aren't warned that speed limits will be enforced on a particular section of road.

Not trying to pick on you in particular btw, your post was just the most quote-worthy.

They didn't put warning signs, it happens alot.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
What the gently caress Wales, I thought you were cool.

Map possibly somewhat related.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

I don't mind either, but it's a UAE specific thing: IIRC normally they do warn you.

Topical:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Koesj posted:

I don't mind either, but it's a UAE specific thing: IIRC normally they do warn you.

Topical:

What's this?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

I'm guessing the map on the right is just for the local elections, since I'd have trouble believing UKIP didn't score that well in the South East.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Koesj posted:

Topical:

Most African countries

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

What's this?

A map based on (the first column of) this, although they might be using a slightly different dataset.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

Most African countries
:golfclap:

My guess would go about STDs. E: I'm dumb.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tree Goat posted:

The Central Value Theorem fucks us over yet again. I think there are U.S. tollroads that also do this (where they compare the time on entering the tollway and leaving and if distance traveled / time taken is too much over the speed limit they fine you).

None do this in the US, in no small part because it would encourage taking surface roads and paralleling non-tolled freeways instead.

If any two of the major toll roads issued tickets for speeding for just one day, it'd be a single time millions of dollars return in tickets.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 13, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

XMNN posted:

What the gently caress Wales, I thought you were cool.

I wasn't under the impression that they were cool, but I'm still surprised. I didn't know UKIP did that well in Wales, I thought they were almost exclusively an English thing. Some news searches are schooling me.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Lycus posted:

I wasn't under the impression that they were cool, but I'm still surprised. I didn't know UKIP did that well in Wales, I thought they were almost exclusively an English thing. Some news searches are schooling me.

A lot of poor overlooked welsh people who continued being poor and overlooked during 13 years of Labour can unfortunately make them turn a bit reactionary. In Scotland most of those people went to the SNP but Plaid Cymru are a joke so UKIP have picked up the protest vote.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Germany and Australia's Northern Territory, bastions of Freedom.

Ofaloaf posted:

*Maximum speed limit on paper. It's a rare and frustrating time when somebody actually does just 70 on the highway.

I'm actually more curious about default speed limits. If memory serves from when I contested one of a few speeding tickets I got when I was younger Michigan roads default to a 55 mph speed limit if not posted otherwise, with a "safe and prudent" caveat on dirt roads and further restrictions in residential areas.

In Australia, where no speed limit is signed it defaults to 50 km/h in urban/suburban roads and 100 on highways.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know how it works in other parts of the world, but in the places I visited in the EU, you'll always encounter this sign just past a country border crossing:

It's a list of default maximum speeds. This one is for the Netherlands. 50 on urban roads, 80 on unmarked roads outside town, 100 on expressways and 120 on highways.
Normally, max speed signs are lower than the default speed on a road. However, since they started making some highways 130 km/h, there's a 130 km/h sign that overrules the 120 km/h default speed, which is rather weird to me.

By the way, the German version has '130' in a blue circle for the highway one. As they have no maximum speed, that indicates a recommended safe speed or something.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!
For authenticity, that Kentucky one should really be the weird, flattened oval used when the highway number is four digits long.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

have a map with a terrible choice of colour gradients:

source: http://news.sciencemag.org/scientific-community/2014/12/study-massive-preprint-archive-hints-geography-plagiarism

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What's up with the state between Arizona and Texas painting a bullseye in theirs?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Poil posted:

What's up with the state between Arizona and Texas painting a bullseye in theirs?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Poil posted:

It kinda looks like it could be a dream catcher.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Back when I visited the US, we did a collect-them-all on photos of car license plates from each state (and other areas/things with their own plates). American license plates are way more artistic than European ones.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Carbon dioxide posted:

Back when I visited the US, we did a collect-them-all on photos of car license plates from each state (and other areas/things with their own plates). American license plates are way more artistic than European ones.

Oh there's wide amounts of variety just in each state too. There's also some...questionable ones.

(That's the logo of the University of Michigan)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah rest of the world outside of like Canada, US, Mexico, and a few Carribbean countries have boring rear end plates, it's sad.

I've always liked PA's owl plates (which I think have been obsoleted by beaver plates)

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Carbon dioxide posted:

The fancy graphic plates offered by most states usually don't predate the mid-90s — before that most places just had the state name and some kind of motto in a plain font (as you can still see with a few).

In the early 2000s, my state had an, um, interesting design that apparently won some kind of award from the "Automobile License Place Collectors Association" but was despised by most residents:

It was supposedly meant to be a long-term design but ended up lasting something like two years before being replaced. As I recall, an awful lot of drivers bought stickers to put over the sun's face; the most popular seemed to be a bullet hole.

Nowadays in addition to the regular design we seem to have an absurd number of additional plates available, including designs representing basically every college in the state.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Special plates are great because when you see one of these

you know they're an rear end in a top hat and probably on their cell phone/double parked.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

What's the context here?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

pooland

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Poortugal. Sounds about right.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Basil Hayden posted:

The fancy graphic plates offered by most states usually don't predate the mid-90s — before that most places just had the state name and some kind of motto in a plain font (as you can still see with a few).

In the early 2000s, my state had an, um, interesting design that apparently won some kind of award from the "Automobile License Place Collectors Association" but was despised by most residents:

It was supposedly meant to be a long-term design but ended up lasting something like two years before being replaced. As I recall, an awful lot of drivers bought stickers to put over the sun's face; the most popular seemed to be a bullet hole.

Nowadays in addition to the regular design we seem to have an absurd number of additional plates available, including designs representing basically every college in the state.

That's gotta be the second-best license placate I've ever seen, second only to Nunavut's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

remind me to send this to my polish friend

an excellent map, nothing wrong with it :scotland: