Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Another way to divide up Antartica. I believe this stems from the UK using the Falklands as the base of a claim, saying they had southern facing coastline that faces directly at Antartica, delineated by longitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Badger of Basra posted:

Big Thicket might be the worst fake state name I've ever heard. Why do these hypothetical states always have to have such weird names? King I can get behind, but Shasta?

Prolly cause it was a for-fun art project.

Heres a map of LAs transit lines funded, at least partially, by the sales tax hike (click for bigger)

And what Metro theoretically thought the system could look like in their Long Range Plan.

Current system:

And as it was before the 1990s:

(get it cause it didn't exist)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

With the fact that the north pole will be ice-free by the ~2040s, this might as well be titled Windfall.gif for countries like Denmark.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GreenCard78 posted:

There is no oil.

Actually thats why I posted that map, there IS oil. An incredible amount of it. And as the ice melts, more and more becomes recoverable. Greenlands land and sea reserves are estimated at over 52 billion barrels, but it could be much more as it's nearly impossible to survey. Oil companies are already all over the arctic, and it's a huge land grab from the various countries to get claims in for the area.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Guatemala tried this in the late 1960s with Belize

They still hate each other.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Most common location for a craigslist missed connection by state.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DarkCrawler posted:

So, uh...American supermarkets must be pretty awesome places?

And apparently Arizonans travel to LA fitness clubs to find love...

Americans in most states only leave their home <-car-> work routine to work out or buy food. And I say this as an American whose guilty of this most days.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shipping is also slow as hell, has a high loss rate, and its prices are strangled by a few companies. It also doesn't give Russia any jobs or money, hence the tunnel idea.

Wouldn't surprise me if the tunnel happens in our lifetimes, but its decades away. Alaska doesn't even have a rail link with the lower 48.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

withak posted:

I think American soldiers in England during WW2 were somewhat resented too. They were paid far better than everyone around them and hadn't been living under strict rationing for five years so they seemed like filthy rich, wasteful assholes to the common english person.

Well they were also sleeping with all their daughters and trashing all their pubs. These are pretty normal problems when you've got troops around, even in allied territories or peace time.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

univbee posted:

For what it's worth here's the other "map" that was posted on the Tea Party Facebook-equivalent:

The GDP map was posted in response to that to point out what a terrible idea that would be on a pure economic level.

So basically most of the economic production and most of the places people actually want to live? What a hard bargain. And all 7 of the largest CSAs.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shbobdb posted:

Why would anyone make a map with colors so close together as to be indistinguishable :psyduck:

Might want to take a colorblindness test, honestly.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Joementum posted:

A map of FREEEDDOOOOOMMMMM in the US. North Dakota is the most free state, California and New York are the least free.

This from the Libertarian Mercatus Center wherein we learn that allowing workers to organize is not freedom, but there is a freedom category named "Bachelor Party" which is a, "user-created category combin[ing] a variety of laws including those on alcohol, marijuana, prostitution, and fireworks."
We all know this is hilariously bad, but on California:

quote:

It shares the maximum possible score on marriage freedom with several other states, because it allows civil unions equivalent to marriage.
Thats the maximum possible score? el oh el

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ekuNNN posted:

Well, yeah, but if you're not from the US you would be fine, I'd think.

North Korea isn't exactly chill with Canada either, Canada was part of the Korean war and is/was a signatory on the armistice. According to wikipedia, they sent 26,791 troops and 1,588 were lost.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Jerry Cotton posted:

How many foreigners has North Korea arrested for no good reason and put in buttfuck detention centres/how many foreigners has the US arrested for no good reason and put in buttfuck detention centres?

Fight da power!!!!!!!!!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

General Panic posted:

By the same logic, they presumably aren't too happy with the British, Australians or New Zealanders either.

They aren't. They refer to them as puppet states, along with South Korea. I think you can still travel to NK with their passports though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lekki posted:

I don't get why Romania or Greece are more dangerous than Hungary, Serbia or Macedonia ?

Go click the link, it lists the reasons on the interactive map.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mu Cow posted:

It's a fine little debate we have going about what is and isn't Latin America which is totally irrelevant as the map shows American influence in virtually every country south of the US regardless of geography or language. Jamaica isn't included because... they made a mistake?
Mu Point Misser

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I love all of those maps because they all left west Texas with no population or reason for anyone to ever want to go there. Just like today, but in its own state. But yet the West Texans were into it, so whatevs!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Guavanaut posted:

Guessing it's US military bases. It definitely raises questions about the invasionliberation! of Iraq and Afghanistan when it's shown how clearly that flanks Iran.

Some of those def aren't US bases, like Seeb. It's probably US bases + general 'allied' airbases + airbases the US could theoretically use.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KernelSlanders posted:

Also:

Clearly god is trying to send us a message.

we'll trade you utah for illinois, straight up

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Love the Louisiana poboy region.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nobody cares what you call your particular poorly arranged legislative body in whatever country it exists in, they are likely all terrible.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Jalopnik made a better version of the car sales map.