Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well now I really need to upgrade my HTPC's SSD from it's measly 32 gig to something more substanial. Although, I wonder how sharing ROMs and ISOs over the network will work. Last I looked, wireless N was faster than a CD drive read speed for at least the PSX era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have the DVDs (and blurays) of Futurama, and I tend to rewatch the show because it's one of my favorites. However, I was starting to worry about the DVDs degrading over time (or something), and was thinking about ripping them to an ISO file or some such so I can keep browsing the menus and special features. I was wondering if and how I could scrape them into my library. Obviously I can't list them as episodes, as the disks have 4-6 episodes each (except for the movies, which should be straightforward at least).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Esk1 posted:

You can name the iso file as multiple episodes like S01E01E02E03E04 for a disc with 4 episodes of other shows. Be aware that Futurama completely redid their TV air order vs DVD order so getting this to match up with xbmc is going to be pretty annoying, I don't think you will be able to get the discs to correctly line up automatically, I think you are going to have to create custom .nfo files and spend quiet a bunch of time doing this. I think to do dvd order you need to have the media in a separate location and set it up with the scraper ahead of time. The problem with this is that when you click any of the 4 it will take you to the dvd menu and mark them all as watched. I'd recommend just using handbrake and ripping the individual episodes as individual files unless you really really want to keep all the special features digitally, just keep the DVDs for that.

I was hoping there was some other setting, but I think what I'll do is make my own NFO file that has like 4 "episodes" (disks) per season. Then the episode description just list the names of the episodes on that disk. I was just hoping for a better way.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Someone, and let me know. I'm house hunting and this sounds awesome.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

Try this:

Upon booting, start XBMC with a delay

When starting XBMC on Windows startup it can be that some sub services weren't started when XBMC is up. To delay XBMC just add the parameter -d X with X equal to the startup delay in seconds.

Taken from here

I need to do this too because the Wifi adapter for my HTPC doesn't seem to be there half the time when XBMC launches. The problem is, where do I add this parameter? I may be launching XMBC by a shortcut in the Start Menu/Startup folder.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

YouTuber posted:

The Youtube plugin has been abandoned by the developers last time I checked and is in stasis.

Ah, so that's why I couldn't login to YouTube last night. I was trying to take advantage of the "watch later" feature of YouTube, and couldn't login to YouTube on XBMC.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm having a problem getting my HTPC to work with my Logitech remote. I bought a CE Compass VRC-1100, which looking online appears to be by Ortek. Now that remote works fine and the IR receiver lights up when a signal from that remote is sent to it. But I can't get my Logitech remote to send MCE commands to it. It can emulate the Ortek remote, and the IR will respond and light up for that, but it won't light up nor will the computer respond when I try to send MCE commands.

I followed this guide:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=95063

But even selecting the "device" for the MCE Remote I can't get the IR receiver to light up or the computer to respond to the Logitech remote.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I work a weird schedule and miss out on news for the most part. Is there a good XBMC app (or selection) that will give you a 20-30 minute news recap?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a way to make a profile that doesn't use the advancedsettings.xml file? In my house I have a network setup with a SQL server. However, I want to take my Zotac mini PC to a friend's house with a thumb drive loaded up with content. I made a new profile, and set the profile to have it's own media. However, it still connects to my database and shows that content.

I want to pre-load that profile with the contents of the thumbdrive only, to make sure it works, as they're curious about a HTPC setup. But I don't want the contents of my thumbdrive to be written to the server, as it's temporary only.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Are you using windows? If so then a different user account should have its own xbmc setup.

No, I'm using XBMCbuntu, and I was using the XBMC profiles. I can't really see an easy way to duplicate the XBMC user, or really want to do that if I can avoid it. I'd like the system to power up and go to the default user, and then log out/in to the "Mobile" profile when I take the system with me somewhere.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

wolfbiker posted:

Maybe the hard drive the hard drive the files are stored on is dying.

Sounds like a skipping drive to me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

What exactly is a skipping drive?

wolfbiker posted:

Maybe the hard drive the hard drive the files are stored on is dying.

It is a bad joke.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

For Rifftrax I put them all in their own folder in the filesystem. Then when I added them I ignored the Movies tab, and made two playlists instead. One playlist was "Location - is - D:\Rifftrax\" and the other was "Location - is - D:\Movies\" or something to that effect. The Hyrbrid skin lets you link to playlists right on the main menu, so I do have two options for Movies and Rifftrax movies.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Can't you just find the video in the Files view, get info on it, and then try to scrape it that way? Then it will ask you to name the movie when it can't find the result.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've been using the Hybrid skin lately on my HTPC, and really like how easily it's customized. I had two problems with XBMC in general however, one I fixed by just installer a newer version of my sound driver. However my last problem may have to do with the Hybrid skin or not.

When my HTPC goes to screensaver (QLock Screensaver), when it comes back my Harmony remote isn't able to move the menus around. I'll hear the clicking like normal, but the menus don't move. The same is true for my bluetooth keyboard. It's not until I use the trackpad/mouse to move the cursor until anything can be selected.

Has anyone else experienced or fixed this problem?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, it's the other way around. Besides, there is a cursor when I do move the mouse. But it's after a screensaver that the key presses don't work. The fix is to move the mouse, but I don't keep the keyboard/mouse/trackpad near me when I use the HTPC.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wiggly posted:

I purchased the exact same remote and gave up trying to get it to work. Had the same problem as you. Save your sanity and buy a Flirc (http://www.flirc.tv/), it really is the best thing to use with a Harmony remote.

Does that learn more than the four directions, enter and back? If it could learn the full spectrum of MCE commands I would buy two of those.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Webbeh posted:

FLIRC can program a remote action to any keyboard button. They have easy guides for XBMC, basic directional/enter/back, and full keyboard.

http://flirc.tv/downloads/

Download the app and see for yourself.

I bought two of these, and I'll never go back to MCE receivers. So much easier to set up.

Alright, the video only shows the buttons I said, so I just wanted to make sure. Now I just need the money and desire to buy more "remotes" basically.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I just moved to a new house, and for some reason I'm having problems with my setup. On the local file server I can fire up the library without a problem. But on my laptop and my HTPC it freezes at the XBMC logo. I think the problem is with the SQL server and a new Linksys router, as the computers can access the movie files and play them without a problem via VLC.

So I have one question before I try to fix that tonight. Is SQL and SMB sharing still the way to go? I know there's some new Zeroconf thing, but I don't know a thing about that. I figure I might as well start fresh if the current install is having a problem, or see if I should figure out if my router isn't letting the SQL information pass through the network.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

When you setup SQL you have to specify the ip address inside the xml file. Did this change with your new router?

I kept the IPs the same on the new network (for the server at least). Nothing changed for the network drives and they were able to connect without a problem or changing anything. The same advanced.xml didn't change either.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

kri kri posted:

Works perfectly fine for me. I think the only other option is NFS but I think getting that running in windows is a pain.

Look at the xbmc logs.

For some reason the Mac client wasn't generating logs. I could disable Wifi on my laptop and then XBMC would launch and go to the (empty) library without a problem.

I eventually figured out the problem though. I never finished setting up the internet settings for my desktop server. I had the IP and subnet set, but not the gateway. After that and the DNS, I could get my library connected again.

I never tried to use the internet on my desktop yet, but as soon as I tried to load a webpage for any kind of troubleshooting I figured it out. :v:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I didn't see your original issue with it, but I had something similar. I just moved, and my parents are using a Time Capsule as their wifi router. Now I'm on a Linksys at my house, and my XBMC can no longer take controls from the XMBCRemote app, and Airplay will no longer work. I haven't changed my IP settings on either my phone or computer, just changed the Linksys to match that schema.

I know that Airplay can work, because I can use Shareport4w without a problem to stream the audio. But I just wanted the visualizer on XBMC because I have a brain problem.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

berzerker posted:

I've never understood why people would use these gutter skins when Transparency is right there.

I just tried it, but found it had some problems. For one it won't power down Windows properly, it just exits the program. I had a number of other little issues, but didn't end up sticking with that skin for too long.

It's me, the guy who sticks to the default skin.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Finally fixed my problems with XBMC and Airplay and the phone remote program. It was Windows Firewall after all. Reset it to default settings, added in an exception for XBMC and boom. I also made sure I my network to a "Home" network instead of a "Public" network when I set up my new settings at my house (new WIFI SSID, etc).

So now that everything is finally working again, I was just wondering what everyone uses for music visualizers. There's nothing in the official repository, so I'm stuck with Milkdrop in the meantime.

Unrelated, but all the music scrapers suck as well. I wish if they didn't have anything, they would steal the info from Last.FM or something.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone know of a setting for the advancedsettings.xml or otherwise that will allow my client HTPC to timeout after X amount of seconds without being able to reach my file server? I'd like to fire up the HTPC sometimes without firing up the file server, but XBMC will just freeze at the logo until I either force quit it, or disconnect the USB wifi adapter (to make it give up on connecting to the server). I have a few streaming options on the HTPC, and sometimes only want to watch that. But if I don't have the file server turned on, it will just hang until I turn it on or unplug the wifi adapter.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Isn't the whole point of the server that its running all the time.

I just bought a house so I don't have a whole lot of extra money. I put the server (desktop) to sleep. I could wake it up every time I also turn on the HTPC, but when I want to just watch the news or streaming media I don't really need the sql database or files. If I don't unplug the USB wifi adapater it will freeze at the logo. If I do unplug it it'll just go to a blank library, but with my video plugins there.

Also useful if I am firing up the HTPC to play something on Steam instead, and I don't intend to watch video at all. Because most of the time when XBMC freezes like that I can't even bring up the task manager because it is hidden behind the full screen dead XBMC.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Okay, the other thing is that it's noisy as gently caress in my office. It's one of those Antec 800 cases with a 200m case. I don't want to turn it on and leave it on 24/7 for the ~1 hour of TV I watch a day that isn't Netflix. If I did watch a lot of the media stored on it, I also live in CT, which has the 4th most expensive electricity costs (I just looked it up, we were the second highest after Hawaii for a while).

I just have a few reasons why I want to not keep the fileserver not running all the time, and the answer is "XBMC isn't designed that way" I guess.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

EC posted:

Fair enough. If that's the case I would look at not using a SQL library setup, and just have XBMC manage everything. You won't miss anything unless you're actively using multiple XBMC installs, and even then there's add-ons to take care of everything else besides being able to resume stuff in a different room.

Also, could profiles be used to solve this? I'm not sure how they work, as I haven't used them, but if one profile could be setup without the server then it would solve your problem.

You could also setup a different instance of XBMC that just has the video addons you want to use, but that would probably get aggravating in regards to updates and things.

Profiles still look at advancedsettings.xml, so no, that doesn't work. I tried that for my AD10 HTPC to have an away/home setup with it, but that doesn't work. But yeah, I do have multiple HTPCs in other rooms, but the living room is the one I watch from the most frequently.

Don Lapre posted:

I dont know if you do anything else with this thing, but you should see about selling it and just getting something like a synology NAS. Uses minimal power and can run sql servers and poo poo.
This "fileserver" is an old desktop computer I made like 7 years ago, just with Samba sharing turned on with the SQL server. It's just Windows 7 that I'll occasionally fire up Steam on as well when I want to play Bioshock Infinite or some other PC exclusive.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Biggest human being Ever posted:

My first afternoon with the AD12 has been a bit sobering, as I have had numerous small issues with it:

-on of the the rubber screws its standing on is a bit too short, meaning it's standing on just three of the screws and wobbles when you push down on it

Why not unscrew that one a bit to level it?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I'm using my XBMC HTPC for my Halloween Housewarming party tonight. I've been cleaning around the house and playing my music through Airplay, and noticed that it doesn't seem to be using my subwoofer for the music. I have 7.1 turned on in the general settings of XBMC (even though I only have 3.1 now, given what the thread previously said about that subject). However, the subwoofer stays silent, and my receiver seems to only be receiving 2.0 sound. Does anyone know how to fix that?

I know the mp3s are only stereo, but it would be nice to still use the subwoofer as well.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I think at this point there should be something in the OP that says nothing other than a Roku or going to netflix.com will play Netflix easily.

That said, the Roku 3 has a SD slot, has 1080p video, and they can play Netflix easily.
http://www.roku.com/products/compare

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Now I am the one who doesn't check the OP. :emo:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Crumps Brother posted:

I'm running in to an issue with sorting my movies. I've been mixing RiffTrax and various commentary tracks in to some of my movies and I wanted a way to sort them easier. I was going to make a smart playlist to do the job, but then I realized the "audio channels" field wasn't what I wanted. Is there a way I can make a filter to show only movies with >1 audio tracks? Even better if I could filter them the audio track's name. I guess I could do it with tags, but I was hoping for something more automatic.

I did the same thing. Eventually I put all my Rifftrax movies in another folder than my regular movies. You can make a smart playlist that will show everything in a particular folder (or path). Now it's too bad my current skin (the default) doesn't allow you to make a main screen button for smart playlist. (Others have more game-breaking issues for me, like powering off the computer not working, ugly, etc.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I didn't want to put them in as a TV show personally. I did have a skin that would add shortcuts to playlist on the main menu ("Rifftrax", "Movies" playlists), but the power off option didn't work. I should just see if that skin ever updated to fix that, as that was the only major bug for that skin. That, and the uptime was always wildly off, but I didn't really care about that. I'll have to fire up the HTPC after work and see which skin it was and if it updated.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So my old desktop-turned-file server has a dead graphics card (most likely). I was looking at the NAS option, as it has 4 hard drive now, and yeesh they're more expensive than I thought. But I'm just wondering if there's a NAS that will also do SQL so I can make that my always-on XBMC storage/database. Otherwise this computer is getting a cheapy graphics card as the system is about 8 years old, and not worth trying to upgrade until I replace it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Okay, I am now having a nightmare with XBMC and file sharing. A few days ago I was able to watch my videos fine. Then nothing could be shared anymore. Everything thought it the movie file was missing, and asked me to delete it.

At this point I've taken the server to scratch. I've deleted the SQL databases entirely, recreated some of the library, and I'm having the problems playing the videos on my Mac and OpenELEC Zotac still. The library updates properly (which is the SQL server on the same machine as the file server), and I can see the videos vanish and reappear on the Mac client. I can even watch the files without a problem from the Finder using VLC to play these video files. But it seems that no matter how I add the files in XBMC, they don't show up in the clients.

I've restarted the router, the server computer, the client computers, rebuilt the SQL, the library, the userdata folders, the advancedsettings.xml, and trashed the XMBC folders entirely in the user folders. I've also changed my sharing settings to no longer ask for a username or password. The server can play the videos fine from XBMC and the Mac can play the files fine from another application once I mount the SMB share. I'm not sure what XBMC's problem is anymore.

Here's a pastebin from the Mac on trying to play a movie file.
http://pastebin.com/vzzCVaX3

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Has anyone been able to run XBMC on SteamOS? I really want a HTPC with the both of those, and haven't found a really solid solution to both of those yet.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

redhalo posted:

I just run XBMC and Steam together on a windows pc. What part is unsolid to your situation, maybe it's something I've tackled.

It's an AD10, so it's not that powerful. Plus, you have to pay for that OS. What am I, made of money?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Keito posted:

Any reason you can't just load it up with a minimal Ubuntu install and put XBMC and Steam on there afterwards? That's what Valve supports, but if you're not a huge fan of Ubuntu you should be fine going with another distribution too. I can at least say that both programs run great on Arch Linux.

I did that just for XBMC, but it had problems waking from sleep at all, or not having audio. I was bouncing around from OS to OS to get the best HTPC for XBMC, and ended up with OpenELEC. I just want a good system for XBMC and Steam for streaming only, primarily XBMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Not going to lie, I'm considering that shirt. I've been using XBMC since college and it was on an actual Xbox. But I don't like shirts like this normally.